PDA

View Full Version : big disappointment

padja longford
25/08/2003, 11:51 PM
well lads yur thoughts.im so sick.all barry had to do was place it.in all fairness though francis,lavine and kirbs all had chances to put us ahead

Dr.Nightdub
26/08/2003, 1:32 AM
Hard luck lads. Now youse know how Bohs felt on Friday. Still, if youse insist on squandering opportunities, that's what happens.

tiktok
26/08/2003, 3:55 AM
from www.rte.ie

St Patrick's lift the eircom League Cup

This season's first piece of silverware will reside on Emmet Road following David Freeman's dramatic 87th minute winner for St Pat's against Longford Town in tonight's eircom League Cup final at Richmond Park.

A highly charged first half saw Longford take a strangehold on possession yet the only two goal opportunities of note fell the way of Eamon Collins' home side. In the fifth minute a poor kick-out from Stephen O'Brien nearly caught the Longford netminder out as Saints' midfielder Keith Fahey attempted a lob from the halfway line from the keeper's misguided kick and was just inches wide.

Fahey turned provider eight minutes later as he flashed a cross for striker Charles Mbabzi Livingstone to just head wide. Some robust challenges resulted in the substitutions of Pat's Barry Prenderville and Longford's on-form striker Shane Barrett, with Livingstone and Town's Philip Koegh picking up bookings.

The second period swung the way of the Flancare Park side but yet again they failed to trouble Chris Adamson in the Pat's goal, with former Saints' striker Sean Francis, on for Barrett, going closest.

The winning goal came with three minutes left on referee Eddie Barr's watch. Fahey looked the likely candidate to take a 25-yard free kick right in front of the Town goal, but substitute and skipper Paul Osam stepped up to plant a curling effort up and over the six-man wall and down off the left upright. Freeman reacted the quickest to prod home to an empty net as keeper O'Brien watched on, having dived to his left to save Osam's effort.

Longford however were gifted a chance to equalise soon after as Livingstone was ajudged to have fouled Eric Lavine in the Pat's area, but Ferguson, recently returned from injury, put his penalty low, left and wide of Chris Adamson's goal.

Xlex
26/08/2003, 8:09 AM
from www.rte.ie
The second period swung the way of the Flancare Park side but yet again they failed to trouble Chris Adamson in the Pat's goal, with former Saints' striker Sean Francis, on for Barrett, going closest.

what absolute rubbish... when we didn't finish our chances, with Kirby, Lavine, Francis and Vinny not to mention poor Barry's effort, you can't say that... Adamson was worth his weight in gold... he had a great game... MOM

Dodge
26/08/2003, 9:10 AM
Yeah I'd have given Adamson MOTM but then we had a fair few chances too. One of the lads' boss came to his first eL game and he thought it was the best match he's seen in years. Great atmosphere too. Fair play to all involved

max power
26/08/2003, 9:18 AM
ok so we didn't win, but its a stepping stone to better things, in the past i have been critical of barry but last night i thought he was great, he shouted he marshelled and the penalty miss will only make him a better player.

last night when i walked into the ground all i could hear were town fans, just before the match all i could hear were longford fans, during the match all i could hear were longford fans and even after the match we could still hear you, well done to all of you, for a team in their home ground the pats fans were very very quiet. i for one was very proud to wear the black n red last night as i always am !!!!

Estar
26/08/2003, 11:22 AM
Longford will never be closer to winning the League Cup. Just couldn't take one of the 6/7 chances they had, never mind the penalty. Two great teams, both very strong at the back. Ozo's free kick was class it would have been some winner. Birdy is a dirty player (physical), I'd like to see him try some of that stuff against the terminator.:p

De Town
26/08/2003, 11:29 AM
Once Barry stood up to take it, I had a feeling he would miss. With his 3 or 4 penos he's had this season he has put them away easily, but after all the chances we had missed, I thought he would miss another chance.

Schumi
26/08/2003, 12:50 PM
Longford just couldn't finish their chances, Francis in particular was poor. Losing Barrett(?) in the first half made a big difference, he looked dangerous. But when Francis came on, he did nothing. Longford must have had about 70% of the ball in the second half but did very little with it.

Xlex
26/08/2003, 1:06 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Longford just couldn't finish their chances, Francis in particular was poor. Losing Barrett(?) in the first half made a big difference, he looked dangerous. But when Francis came on, he did nothing. Longford must have had about 70% of the ball in the second half but did very little with it.

That's harsh... I thought Francis did well, its the other striker that bottled shots... Also no mention of the magnificent Adamson

Schumi
26/08/2003, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
That's harsh... I thought Francis did well, its the other striker that bottled shots... Also no mention of the magnificent Adamson Yeah, Lavine didn't seem to want to have a go. Is his confidence low or something? Also Adamson was excellent, Man of the Match for me. I still thought Francis lost the ball too easily and didn't look on the pace.

Macy
26/08/2003, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
I thought Francis did well when he came on, and again I would look to Lavine.... We've got a striker who doesn't want to shoot, and is always looking to pass the responsibility to someone else.... Barret could be out for a while from what I'm hearing, so it looks like my suggestion of Barret and Francis up front will have to wait....

As for doing very little with the ball - we had 7-8 very good chances, and would also concur with Adamson having a great game....

Bluebeard
26/08/2003, 2:23 PM
Ye were desperately unlucky alright, you must have had about six excellent chances in the second half. I reckon Adamson was MOTM as well, but then, I gave up listening to what RTE said about the League of Ireland as soon as I was able to go to games myself. I thought certain sure that there would be extra time, but looking back on your luck in the second half, I suppose it wasn't to be.

By the way, great travelling support, full of singing, your fans made the match an event. Not to take away from the Inchicore faithful of course. To quote the old ad campaign up North, "Wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time."

Peat Burns
27/08/2003, 1:05 AM
we were unluckly not to score but fare play to adamson he made at least two excellent saves before pats scored. With Barret goin off injured in the first half we lacked pace up front.hard luck to barry for missing that penno but you cant blame him.the team done us all proud and never gave up

wws
27/08/2003, 11:20 AM
longford were the better team especially in the second half
but pats deserve credit for always sticking in there even if the tide is going against them which is an important part of the game, we always get stik from bohs fans especially about playing "unattractive football"* but as the encounters show theres little between pats and longford and they're very evenly matched in many ways. we have different strengths and weakenesses but we kinda cancel each other out overall

ferguson is a good player and its a shame he had to take the pressure kick...how many others in the ground would have put their head on the block?

*a complaint which is always applied after we beat them!

drummer boy
27/08/2003, 1:50 PM
I aso thought francis had a good game, its good t see strikers having a go first time instead of hoding it u and waiting for support, like avine did many times (lack of confidence), francis knows where the goal is and thats a good sign.

drummer boy
27/08/2003, 1:50 PM
I aso thought francis had a good game, its good t see strikers having a go first time instead of hoding it u and waiting for support, like avine did many times (lack of confidence), francis knows where the goal is and thats a good sign.

Peat Burns
27/08/2003, 5:29 PM
all lavine needs is a goal to get his confedince back. francise is a good player but he would play better with barret.

LTFC Fan
28/08/2003, 3:25 PM
" I thought Francis did well, its the other striker that bottled shots"- posted by xlex

wat game were you watching man eric was class.i dont caree wat any1 says.a good striker is not always about putting the ball in thre net every game.at least you can see eric is trying in every game to end his famine.its just a confidence thing.

Macy
28/08/2003, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by LTFC Fan
a good striker is not always about putting the ball in thre net every game.at least you can see eric is trying in every game to end his famine.its just a confidence thing.
Not ever game, but at least sometimes.... The only shot I can think of Lavine having in the game was the header, he had another excellent opportunity, but he chose to stop, cut back and pass.... I know it's a confidence issue, but how long can we carry him? Not taking chances cost us on Monday, having a striker afraid to even shoot isn't helping....

LTFC Fan
28/08/2003, 9:12 PM
i still think hes far better than francis.

martinho
13/09/2003, 12:30 PM
PLEASE GOD WE WILL GET TO LANSDOWNE RD FOR THE FAI CUP AND WIN IT. BEST EVER TOWN ATMOSPHERE EVER .PUSHED BALLYBOFEY GAME INTO SECOND PLACE. A FANTACASTIC FINAL FOR ATMOSPHERE AND EXCITMERNT. THE TEAM AND SUPPORTERS WERE A CREDIT TO THE LTFC. CONGRATS TO THE INCICORE BOYS WE WILL GET OUR REVENGE SOME TIME.

Macy
15/09/2003, 7:55 AM
Originally posted by LTFC Fan
i still think hes far better than francis.
Still???? Same old Francis, always scoring....

drummer boy
15/09/2003, 4:07 PM
the best thing that came out of the game apart from the 3-1 win was that eric set francis 's 3rd goal good to see them playing together