PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City back on top

Ringo
25/08/2003, 6:37 AM
Went to the game last night, should have been 4 nil. more cows than monaghan supporters! More Vikings fans than mons, a bit sad really.

MONAGHAN UTD 0

DUBLIN CITY 2

DUBLIN CITY returned to the top of the First Division with a comfortable win over a poor Monaghan side at Century Homes Park.

The Vikings went ahead on 54 minutes when left-back Wesley Byrne dribbled the ball out of defence into the opposing penalty area played a neat one-two before hammering the ball home.

Monaghan never looked likely to score and Byrne fired another fierce shot against the underside of the bar before substitute Robbie Collins made it 2-0 11 minutes from the end.

MONAGHAN UTD - Fennelly, O'Keeffe, McDonnell, Byrne, Doyle, Prizeman, Nicholls, Shiels, Vaughan, Campbell, O'Brien. Subs: Turley for O'Brien (56), Murphy for Nicholls (66), Carthy for Prizeman (86).

DUBLIN CITY - Kennedy, T O'Connor, W Byrne, McAuley, Noonan, Crowley, Rushe, Doyle, A O'Connor, Maher, Clarke. Subs: C O'Connor for Doyle (86), Farrell for A O'Connor (64), Collins for Maher (79). REF - T Kelly (Dublin).

Sheridan
25/08/2003, 7:36 AM
Well done on making the trip, Ringo, how many of you lot were there? Nice to see Wes get a goal.

Hmm, neither Barry Burke nor Robbie Dunne played? How did Keith Maher do up front with O'Connor?

Aertel was up to its usual tricks, gave me a fright by reporting the half-time score (0-0) as a full-time, although I knew it couldn't be over yet. Then I kept checking all night for ThreeText to update their tables just so I could see Dublin City back on top. What was the point of that, I mean, I knew they were there. ;)

Ringo
25/08/2003, 8:40 AM
Great support there for DCFC, maybe 70 less than half that for Monaghan. Maher was great, ran his body into the ground. Alan O'Connor had a bad game (nothing seemed to go right for him). No doubt he’ll bounce back. Thomas as good as ever, he’s suspended on Wednesday, he’ll be badly missed. Robbie Farrell came on and made a few good runs, great to have him back for Wednesday. Should have been four, nil. We really need to improve our goal difference. Long trip, but well worth it. Tough game on Wednesday, but we need to keep the points coming in.