PDA

View Full Version : The Great Strikers Debate

thecorner
23/08/2003, 12:58 AM
maybe we could get a poll on this
while morley and caulfield were legends id have to go with flynny and georgie. they compliment each other perfectly
both playing out of their skins this season

The Donie Forde
23/08/2003, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by thecorner
maybe we could get a poll on this
while morley and caulfield were legends id have to go with flynny and georgie. they compliment each other perfectly
both playing out of their skins this season

Interesting comparison, thecorner.

I think to be fair, you'd have to judge JOF/GOC over more than a season and a half...Skip and Johnny C were long term club men and clocked up big appearance and goal stats.

On the League* goals front:

129 Caulfield (455 games)
129 Morley (331 games)
29 O'Flynn (44 games)
10 O'Callaghan (43 games)

I have to say, I'm not convinced about George as a striker. This may take a bit from the direct 2 v 2 argument.

I'd rate George as comparable or better on a skills level to any of the City 'greats' you care to mention who has worn the shirt, while JOF - if we get another few seasons out of him producing at this rate - will probably be the best the club has ever had, IMHO. I'd prefer GOC to play deeper, I'd really like us to operate with a second striker to assist JOF. I think such a change would benefit both players.

You can talk about JOF's goalscoring rate, but PM and JC consistently delivered over a prolonged period.

I feel we'll never again get a combo comparable to PM/JC (it's sort of like expecting 2 JOFs at the same time, if you follow my drift); that's not to say we don't now possess an even better striker than either... ;)

Also Morley-Caulfield and JOF-GOC were very different in styles, very different.

Cool debate though - I hope it takes off!

* All club stats reularly available in the match programme.

Donie

Counting Crow
23/08/2003, 9:45 AM
Agree with you Corner.

Morley and Caulfield - Morley was a pur preditor, not very fast ( sometimes looked lazy ) but his goal scoring record speaks for itself. Served us proud through the years. Johnny C was one of the smartest players to play in the LoI. His goals "for" record was also phenominal and they worked so well together.......pleasure to heve seen them throughout their carrers........but.........

.........the "George & John Roadshow".
What can you say about these guys that hasn't been said already.
In two years they have raised the profile of Cork soccer throughout the country.

One comment / observation probably sums up these guys ......
......."people throughout the country know about these guys now and come specifically to see them play - true stars"

John & George for me.

Cityace
23/08/2003, 9:46 AM
I agree with donie, you cant really have a proper comparison, but the way things are going, i'd have to say flynny/georgie.

yiddo
23/08/2003, 10:20 AM
What no mention of the legendary Kabia and Dobbs partnership ? Surely the benchmark against which all striking partnerships should be judged ? ;)

Counting Crow
23/08/2003, 10:31 AM
How did we forget these two...........jsut shows how much we all miss them.........we can't even talk about them without becoming emotional.

Where as Caulfield, Morley, Flynny and Georgie have made their name in such places as Tolka, Richmond Dalymount and The Cross the other Legends made their mark and "slayed" the opposition in such Theather's of Dreams as Sidetracks, Redz and CoCo's where the oppositon was more intense and hours put in were longer.:p

thecorner
23/08/2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde
I have to say, I'm not convinced about George as a striker. This may take a bit from the direct 2 v 2 argument.

fair point and i dont doubt any of ur comments
but as a combination its as if they were born to partner each other

The Donie Forde
23/08/2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
fair point and i dont doubt any of ur comments
but as a combination its as if they were born to partner each other

Not disputing what you say there, thecorner. Just assumed you were comparing 1 pair of strikers with another. IMO George falls a bit short of either Morley or Cualfield as a goalscorer.

You make a fair point about the understanding GOC & JOF have, however!

Donie

Éanna
23/08/2003, 12:46 PM
gotta be george and john for me. the other two are legends, but just not in the same class.

dalo
23/08/2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
gotta be george and john for me. the other two are legends, but just not in the same class.

surely if they are legends that would be enough. at the moment i'd plump for morley and JC. they were together for nearly 10 years plus. jof and goc have a long way to go.

Gary
23/08/2003, 1:48 PM
Gotta say Skip and Jonny C for now, but its only a matter of time before the current two surpass them.

All 4 are legends though.

golly
23/08/2003, 2:04 PM
john&george for me coz of d way dey link up its awesome d understanding dey have george will never b the goalscorer jc/pm was he is a diferent player. but its d way george provides em john finishes em does it for me. i love all 4 of em do absolute legends

Troy.McClure
23/08/2003, 3:44 PM
Kabia & Dobbs! LOL!!!!!

Id go for Jonny C and Skippy, just look at the amount of goals between them, that will never be surpassed, although OFlynn and George are class too.

tiktok
23/08/2003, 6:34 PM
it's a tough one. I think Morley and Caulfield would just shade it seeing as we've only had the pleasure of the Flynn/george roadshow for 18 months and the former pair did it so well for so long.

having said that, IMO the standard of football (and defending with it) in the LOI has improved since Caulfield/Morley were at their prime and neither of those two had the flair that we associate with the new boys.

James
25/08/2003, 8:18 AM
skippy and johnny c with any shadow of a blinking doubt in my mind
the greatest ever strike force to hit the league imo

u cant compare them to what we have now, and imo it shudnt be any debate at all. give flynny and goc another 3 /4 seasons at city (if we can keep em), then compare them

pete
25/08/2003, 11:10 AM
Skippy & Johnny C definitely.

Can't compare the 2 O's 2 seasons against the oldies decade of goal scoring.

Skippys 20 league goals when he was 35 will take some beating also.