PDA

View Full Version : County’s all new Theatre of Dreams

Estar
23/08/2003, 9:20 AM
IN what is thought to be a first in professional football, Kildare County FC has announced that they are launching a professional theatre company - Kildare County Theatre Company -as a separate fundraising arm for the club.

The company is the brainchild of former professional actor Dave Edler, who is also County’s Commercial Manager. Edler, who will direct most of the company’s productions, has appeared in many TV, Theatre and Film productions including BBC favourites Casualty and Jane Austen’s Persuasion.

He believes no other football club has ever had its own in-house theatre company.

“When I took on the job at Kildare, I was asked to come up with innovative new ideas for raising additional revenue and also given the brief to take the club out into the community more. I think that this theatre company will achieve both objectives.

“I’ve called in a few favours from some professional actor friends of mine, and we now have a very strong cast in place for our debut production. All the expenses are being covered by our generous sponsors and advertisers and so a large percentage of every ticket sold will go directly to the club”.

The company’s debut production will be John Godber’s Up ‘n Under. The show will play the following venues: Mon Sep 22 Dean Crowe Theatre, Athlone; Tues Sep 23 Moat Theatre, Naas; Weds 24 & Thurs 25 Sep Riverbank Arts Centre, Newbridge; Fri Sep 26 Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise & Sat 27 Sep Kilcullen Town Hall, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare.

The show tells the story of the Wheatsheaf Arms, a bunch of no-hopers playing amateur Rugby League in Hull. As the result of a foolish bet made by Arthur Hoyle, a former Rugby legend, he has to try and train the Wheatsheaf to reach the sevens finals and take on the unbeaten Cobblers Arms. Only one problem -the Wheatsheaf have never won a single match!!

This riotous comedy was a hit feature film starring Neil Morrissey and Samantha Janus but beware - the play has a very different ending. The show should appeal to all sports fans and at 45 minutes each way is very accesible to non-theatre goers as well as seasoned theatre fans. Anyone who enjoyed the Rugby play Alone It Stands will love Up ‘n’ Under.

Kildare County Theatre Company expects to stage four professional productions a year, but this could be extended if things go well. The initial cast for Up ‘n Under will be: Rick Alancroft, Tim Fordyce, Jonathan Hansler, Michael Instone, Carrie McRae & Dave Short, all experienced actors with TV & Film credits.

I'd say Dave got alot of parts in scary movies
;)
In all fairness he's doing a good job.