PDA

View Full Version : Planning Without Robbie and Holland...

Peadar
22/08/2003, 8:39 AM
Lets assume Robbie Keane and Mattie Holland are unavailable for the Russia game, how should we line out?

I was thinking, during the Australia game, that we could move things around without upsetting the apple cart too much.

------------------Given-----------------
Carr----O'Brien-----Cunningham----Harte
Finnan------Healy------O'Shea------Duff
----------Morrison--Doherty-------------

I'm not a bit fan of Harte but I think he could pull it off and with Doherty up front we need as much high ball into the box as possible. With Morrison we need the ball on the ground in behind the defenders. Duff and Finnan can provide this.

noby
22/08/2003, 10:12 AM
i think it might be abit too much too soon to play healy & o'shea in midfield against russia

i think it will be more like kinsella/healy midfield, with o'shea in defence.

harte played ok the other night, but if people aren't playing first team this time of year, fitness will be a major factor

Peadar
22/08/2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by noby
if people aren't playing first team this time of year, fitness will be a major factor

That rules Healy out too then.
I would settle for Kinsella/O'Shea in midfield.
When deciding on my original line up I was very concious of the lack of leadership in the mid field but feel that O'Shea is wise beyond his years now and could handle the responsibility.
Finnan could play left full with Gary Kelly on the right of midfield if Harte was a weak link.

pete
22/08/2003, 10:45 AM
I'd go for:

------------------Given-----------------
Carr----Breen-----Cunningham----O'Shea
Duff------Healy------Kinsella------Kilbane
----------Morrison--Doherty-------------

Maybe Reid if he fit with Duff onto the left wing.

NigeSausagepump
22/08/2003, 10:53 AM
Holland has been included in the Charlton squad for the game against Wolves, so you can assume that he will be fit for the Ruskie game.

tiktok
22/08/2003, 4:31 PM
i'd go for

------------------------Given----------------------
---Carr----O'Shea---Cunningham---Harte---
---Reid------Kinsella----Healy-----Kilbane----
-------------Morrison------Duff-------------------

Reid is set to make his blackburn debut the w'end so i assume he's back fit.
I think without robbie, duff has to play up front. i don't like the idea of Doherty and Morrison.

pete
22/08/2003, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
Holland has been included in the Charlton squad for the game against Wolves, so you can assume that he will be fit for the Ruskie game.

swop Holland (even if he is a mercenary) for Kinsella cos Kinsella hasn't had a good game for Ireland for a while.

Slash/ED
22/08/2003, 10:50 PM
If Hollands fit, I'd play

Morrison Connolly

Duff Holland Healy Reid

Finnan Cunningham O'Shea Carr

Given

I'll get stick for putting Connolly in probably, but the alternative is Duff up front and Kilbane at left wing, which would be far worse in my opinion, FAR worse, as were limiting our best attacking option for a below average left winger, or useing Doherty.

Doherty just isn't a striker, he has a few goals but mainly from set peices his all round play isn't upto it, I think Connolly and Morrison will link up alot better, and Connolly will be a long way ahead of Doherty for match sharpness, who will either be playing central defence or not at all.

Harte made an impact on tuesday but he's still an utter embarassment as a defender, and I'd never ever feel safe with him in the side. Wouldn't mind seing him get a run at left wing for his club side but I'd never pick him at left back.

brine2
23/08/2003, 5:30 PM
.................given

carr - o'brien - o'shea - finnan

s reid - thornton - healy - a reid

..................duff(c)

................morisson

Slash/ED
24/08/2003, 3:22 PM
Holland played in Charltons 4-0 win over the weekend he'll be fit to play, in fact Finnan is a bigger worry, wasn't fit enough to start again for Liverpool which is worrying.

Though going back to Holland, I will say I do prefer Delap myself anyway, fit or not.

tiktok
24/08/2003, 7:54 PM
I have to agree on delap, i think it's amazing he hasn't gotten a fair go at international level, especially so after the last season he had.

Peadar
24/08/2003, 7:57 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Finnan------Healy------O'Shea------Duff

Roy Curtis has pretty much agreed with me on this in todays Sunday World.

Roy Curtis, Sunday World
Yet one big gamble now - employing John O'Shea, Steven Reid and Colin Healy in his midfield - could yield outrageous dividends.

...O'Shea has two good feet, he is athletic, he has the physical presence to dominate a game (something the Holland-Kinsella combo sorely lack), and he has confidence.

...but the team could take a further massive leap forward with O'Shea alongside the dynamic Healy, with the powerful Reid booming down the right tramline.

Considering that it was Harte who supplied the ball for both goals I'd still be inclined to stick him at left-full.
Kilbane will, if fit, almost certainly start on the left of midfield.
At least we still have options I suppose.

Macy
25/08/2003, 8:26 AM
Considering that it was Harte who supplied the ball for both goals I'd still be inclined to stick him at left-full.
And played viduka onside for that chance that would have left us dead and buried 2-nil down....

markf
25/08/2003, 9:30 AM
Is Gary Kelly in the squad??? If so, he's got to be there somewhere. He's never let us down, not like his nephew!!!!!

He can also play anywhere. R-B, L-B, R-M.

colster
25/08/2003, 11:09 AM
I can't see Kerr taking a gamble in the remaining games.

The team will (if all are fit and available bar Keane) be

Given

Carr Cunningham Breen O'Shea

Reid Holland Healy Kilbane

Duff Doherty

I can't see him trying Delap/O'Shea in midfield having not played there for Ireland at all unless there is a massive injury crisis.
It would be a massive gamble to try them against Russai or Switzerland.
Kerr is not like that. If he were to drop Holland it would probably be Carsley who replaces him.

I think it's a close call with Doherty and Morrison.
Morrisson did not look fit against Australia and can't see him lasting a full 90 against Russia.
It will depend on who he thinks is the better option coming off the bench.
Doherty will probably edge it as Russia did not cope too well with him in Russia and he's had a full pre-season and played some games for Spurs.

Peadar
25/08/2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Macy
And played viduka onside

That's very true Macy but there were mistakes made all over the pitch by Ireland. He came on as a sub not having played for club and country for a while and was bound to make mistakes.
If we're playing Gary Dock Herty up front then we need good delivery.

O'Brien had a shocker on Saturday and could have been sent off.

Macy
25/08/2003, 11:25 AM
No one ever doubted his delivery, just his defending.... I think that would be a major risk, especially as he can't get his game for Leeds...

Schumi
25/08/2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Macy
And played viduka onside for that chance that would have left us dead and buried 2-nil down.... And should have given away a penalty!

colster
25/08/2003, 1:28 PM
That's very true Macy but there were mistakes made all over the pitch by Ireland. He came on as a sub not having played for club and country for a while and was bound to make mistakes.
If we're playing Gary Dock Herty up front then we need good delivery.

O'Brien had a shocker on Saturday and could have been sent off.

I think Reid is almost as good at set pieces as Harte is. So if he plays there would be no need to play Harte.
Anyway Kerr will stick with his current back 4. They haven't let him down yet and deserve to keep their places.
Each of them are in good form at the moment and playing regularly while Harte is not.

sadloserkid
25/08/2003, 1:54 PM
Given

Carr Cunningham O'Shea Finnan

Reid Holland Delap Duff

Morrison Connolly

No Colin Healy or Gary Doherty for me. Healy hasn't enough football this season (like Finnan I know) but Georgia aside I've never understood the fuss about him anyway.

Peadar
25/08/2003, 2:15 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Georgia aside I've never understood the fuss about him anyway.

You picked Connolly in your side so no one is going to take your opinion seriously.
Your post will just be ignored.

Greenbod
25/08/2003, 2:23 PM
You picked Connolly in your side so no one is going to take your opinion seriously.
Your post will just be ignored.

Many managers including Kerr have picked Connolly in their side. Is your opinion of them just as dismissive? If so, I think it is you who should be ignored.

Peadar
25/08/2003, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by Greenbod
Many managers including Kerr have picked Connolly in their side.

They have him in the side to stop him from crying.

The discussion here was about fielding our strongest side.
If we have no other strikers available then maybe Connolly could be stuck into the round hole like the square peg he is.
I'd have Vinny Sullivan in a team before Connolly.
There isn't a defender in the world who fears the hobbit.

colster
25/08/2003, 2:41 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Given

Carr Cunningham O'Shea Finnan

Reid Holland Delap Duff

Morrison Connolly

No Colin Healy or Gary Doherty for me. Healy hasn't enough football this season (like Finnan I know) but Georgia aside I've never understood the fuss about him anyway.

I can't see how Delap should get in ahead of Healy.
Delap hasn't played for Kerr at all and Healy was very good against a Georgian team that beat Russia so it would be unfair to replace him.
I don't think Morrisson will play because he won't last the 90 minutes. Anyway the Russians had lots of trouble with Doherty in the last game so I think doherty will start ahead of Morrisson with Morrisson coming on as a substitute.
Also I think Duff would be a better option up front with Kilbane on the wing.
Duff offers more than Connolly in an attacking role.
Also the Russians will try to catch Ireland on the break. Kilbane could offer us more in tracking back than Duff would.
The Back 4 will be kept as is. Finnan will not play. It will be Carr, Cunnigham, Breen and O'Shea.

pete
25/08/2003, 3:20 PM
Story about Connolly in yesteddays Sunday Times.

Journalist bumped into him as he boarded a bristish plane to London.

Connollys reply: "I used to travel Aer Lingus until they pi**ed me off!"

:D

Greenbod
25/08/2003, 4:42 PM

I'd have Vinny Sullivan in a team before Connolly.

That's why Kerr is Irish manager and you're a Cork fan;)

Mondo
25/08/2003, 7:21 PM
Originally posted by brine2
.................given

carr - o'brien - o'shea - finnan

s reid - thornton - healy - a reid

..................duff(c)

................morisson

ANDY REID:cool:

Slash/ED
25/08/2003, 9:10 PM
Originally posted by markf
Is Gary Kelly in the squad??? If so, he's got to be there somewhere. He's never let us down, not like his nephew!!!!!

He can also play anywhere. R-B, L-B, R-M.

He's not in the squad and he has let us down, remember Holland at home? Agree he's better then his nephew mind, but that's not exactly hard.

Peadar
26/08/2003, 8:31 AM
Originally posted by Greenbod
That's why Kerr is Irish manager and you're a Cork fan;)

When Kerr is given more striking options I've no doubt he'll dump Connolly.
Speaking of options, Alan Lee looked good last night as did Graham Kavanagh in Cardiff's 4-1 win over Derby County.
Willie Boland played well too.
Still can't believe Cardiff got planning permission to build a 60,000 seater stadium across the road from Ninian Park!

Niamh_GalwayGal
28/08/2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by colster
I can't see how Delap should get in ahead of Healy.

Delap - regular in a top half premiership team
Healy - so far has played in Sunderland reserves

no time for sentimentality, that was micks downfall

"aw, well i ken 'arty's crap, but just lookit t'sad face on t'lad!"

Slash/ED
29/08/2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Niamh_GalwayGal

Yes but that's hardly fair on Healy, I mean he's only in the reserves to gain fitness you make it sound like he's completley out of favour.

Though I'd start them both.

colster
29/08/2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Niamh_GalwayGal

I've no doubt that Delap is a good player and he should eventually get his chance to play in the Ireland team.
At the moment he has never impressed playing for Ireland in any role he has played.
He has looked OK but nothing special.
Also Delap has not played for Kerr yet.
This isn't somethinng that you can say about Healy who has looked top quality almost every time he has played.
As for Delap replacing Holland for the Russia and Swiss game that's just madness.
Delap has had one good season in midfield for Southampton while Holland has played well for both Ipswich and Charlton over the last few seasons.
It's always better to go with experience.

Footie_Fan
31/08/2003, 10:17 AM
--------------------------Given-----------------------

Carr-----Cunningham-------Breen-------O'Shea

Reid-----Holland-----------Healy-----------Kilbane

--------------Morrison-------Duff--------------------

The Russia match is the biggest test yet for Kerr and this side. Experience and continuity are a must.

Given is an obvious choice in goal.

The back four have all played with each other before and know each others game. Carr and O'Shea are both capable of world class performances. While Cunnigham and Breen have played with each other on countless occassions and under the Kerr era have yet to let the side down. To put Harte in the side would be very dangerous what he gives in free kicks and cross do nothing to take away from the fact the he is a very average defender and it is easy to expose him with balls in behind his back.

Reid is an exciting winger and can beat his man with ease and is a definite first choice on the right. Kilbane was outstanding against Georgia, probably his best performance in an Irish shirt, and with Robbie Keane's absence up front, Duff surely must be put up front leaving the way clear for Kilbane on the left wing. Holland is an experienced centre midfielder and against quality opposition experience is vital and for me he is an easy choice. Healy was exciting against Georgia and can provide the crucial balls to the front men. Kinsella is an option on the bench if things aren't going our way. To play Delap would be madness. I have never seen a good performance from him in an Irish shirt and the fact that he has never played in a Kerr side just adds to my opinion. By all means give him a run as a sub against Turkey or something but not in this crucial game.

Duff has to be played up front with the absence of Keane. He can provide and score goals. (Blackburn's top league scorer with 9 last year) Morrison is a gamble fitness wise but I have no doubt in his ability. His pace and strength will be priceless assets. Doherty is an option if we need him.

colster
01/09/2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
Footie Fan. you've probably got Kerrs first 11 bang on for Saturday. However I disagree with a couple of selections. Time and time again we've seen the futility of playing Duffer away from the left wing. His influence on the game is seriously deminished. We must play our best player in his best position in my opinion.

Up front you could have Connolly who plays in that position week in week out for his club and therefore would be as effective as an out of position, uncomfortable Duff.

In midfield I'd put Holland on the bench and bring on the far more effective Delap. He'll get in with alot more crunching tackles and won't run away from the ball like Holland consistantly does.

I know Kerr won't agree with me but there you have it....;)

I think Delap is injured.
I think you're right about Duff.
I reckon that he'll probably play Morrison and Doherty up front with Duff on the wing.
We have to win this game and he must play an attacking formation.
Doherty will start because we need a big forward in attack.
I then think it's a choice between Connolly and Morrisson with Morrisson winning out due to his better all round play and speed.
Connolly and Lee will offer us options if needed late on in the game.
I think Duff will be given licence to roam with Holland, Healy and Reid making up the rest of the midfield.
The back 5 picks itself.
The team he'll pick will be

Given

Carr Cunningham Breen O'Shea

Reid Healy Holland Duff

Morrison Doherty