PDA

View Full Version : Callaghan lauds young shot-stopper

Martinho II
26/06/2008, 9:08 PM
http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-1/

Longford Town boss Aaron Callaghan has been quick to heap praise on goalkeeper Neil Gallagher following a string of impressive displays for the First Division side.

The 23-year-old joined The Midlanders this season from Dundalk and was forced to bide his time to make his debut as Seamus Kelly was preferred as the first option between the posts.
However, an injury to Kelly gave the former Republic of Ireland U-19 international the chance that he was waiting for and he took full advantage by turning in a host of outstanding performances.

Now Gallagher has given his manager a selection headache for when Kelly returns to full fitness, as he now has two excellent keepers to choose from but it is an option that Callaghan is glad to have.

“I was alerted to Neil’s (Gallagher) attention last year and I became very interested in adding him to our squad,” Callaghan told eircomloi.ie.

“I think he only made about three or four appearances for Dundalk and Vinny Perth, who was with the club last season, highly recommended him after working with him closely.

“To be fair to him, he has come in due to an injury to Shay (Kelly), who would be our first-choice keeper, and really excelled. He was fantastic in the cup match (against St Patrick’s Athletic) and has held his own since getting into the team.

“He needed to work on his fitness and a few technique issues. Paul Fagan, our goalkeeping coach, has done terrific work with him over the last couple of months and he has grown in confidence with every game.”

With the halfway point of the season rapidly approaching, Callaghan is happy with how his young team have fared so far but still thinks that they can play a lot better.

After being relegated from the Premier Division last year, there were a lot of concerns voiced over the future of the club. Although, they now appear to be a team going from strength to strength as they sit fifth in the table after fifteen games.

“I would like a lot more points on the board, obviously. But I think when you take into consideration where the club has come in relation to last year then we have done okay so far this year,” admitted Callaghan.

“There are some strong clubs in this league, like Dundalk and Shelbourne, who have been building their teams for two or three years, so it was always going to be difficult against those type of teams.

“We have competed well so far and even if we haven’t won all of the games, we have given the other teams a good battle. The problem for us though is that we have yet to find that level of consistency.

“So there has been a lot done, but plenty more to do. Hopefully we can make improvements in the second half of the season and pick up more wins.”

Longford will make the trip up to Kingspan Century Park to face Monaghan United on Friday evening.

Keen2win
27/06/2008, 9:19 AM
In fairness he has been a very good shot-stopper an made some vital saves.

Good of callaghan to come out and praise him like that, it can only do wonders for his confidence.

Cabs88
28/06/2008, 7:21 PM
Gallagher has been very impressive of late, and Kelly will find it very difficult to break back into the first team. Can only be good for us, as it keeps them both on their toes

Salmon Coloured
30/06/2008, 12:04 PM
Get rid of the two of them, only costing us money.

Martinho II
30/06/2008, 2:48 PM

god ur r awful harsh on da lads salmon coloured!! it would be other lads i would get rid of first before them...

Longfordian
30/06/2008, 3:45 PM
Who needs a keeper anyhow?. Daire fly-goalie should do the trick.

Rocky77
30/06/2008, 7:21 PM
Daire has played in nets before. Emergency keeper for Bromsgrove once when their goalie was sent off.

Cabs88
30/06/2008, 10:17 PM

a certain underperforming up until late, undisciplined midfielder come defender should fall into that category if anyone is to be released for money...

Salmon Coloured
01/07/2008, 11:43 AM
Ye should all be sittin in a pub on Saturday nights watchin the Premiership. Real football if you ask me. Save yere money now & quit your whingin. The only place ya get good football chat is from those with their bums on pub seats. Go on now & get out of it. Wouldnt spend a penny going to the Flansiro or whatever ya call it.Sit on a barstool & live the dream with the rest of us now Martinho.

Martinho II
01/07/2008, 7:12 PM
Ye should all be sittin in a pub on Saturday nights watchin the Premiership. Real football if you ask me. Save yere money now & quit your whingin. The only place ya get good football chat is from those with their bums on pub seats. Go on now & get out of it. Wouldnt spend a penny going to the Flansiro or whatever ya call it.Sit on a barstool & live the dream with the rest of us now Martinho.

as in a certain john joe reillys section o hq salmon coloured!!;)

Martinho II
01/07/2008, 7:13 PM
a certain underperforming up until late, undisciplined midfielder come defender should fall into that category if anyone is to be released for money...

assume cabs this is relatin to a certain mr doyle....

Conroy
03/07/2008, 12:28 PM
Gally is a decent Goalie, Untill that is he pick a Gaa match over the club who pays his wages...