PDA

View Full Version : Robbie at home at the Carlisle

A face
21/08/2003, 5:37 PM
Robbie at home at the Carlisle

Bray Wanderers’ recent signing Robbie McGuinness admitted that he already feels very much at home at his new club following a blistering start to life as a Seagull following his move from St Patrick’s Athletic.

“I really like it out here. I know a lot of the lads from my time with St. Joseph’s Boys. The surroundings weren’t that different,” he said.

Waterford United, the club that defeated Bray in the FAI Cup Third Round clash over the weekend, were one of the three club’s interested in the right-sided midfielder when he opted to leave Richmond Park, with Longford Town and Shamrock Rovers.

But the 22-year-old believes the decision to move to Bray was the right one.

“I’d been at St. Pat’s for five or six years now and I think I needed a change. I’m just really looking forward to playing for Bray and doing my best,” he said.

McGuinness has made a stunning start to life at the Carlisle Grounds.

He helped set up John Flood’s goal in the 3-2 friendly defeat to Blackburn Rovers a fortnight ago, former international goalkeeper Alan Kelly spilling his shot for Flood to convert, and opened his competitive account for his new club with the final goal in the recent 5-3 home win over Athlone Town.

In the Cup defeat to Waterford at the weekend, he gave a further glimpse of his talent with an exceptional goal, beating two players before sending an unstoppable drive past Irish under-21 international keeper Dan Connor from outside the area.

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/story.asp?newsid=7102)