PDA

View Full Version : Derek O Brien

Pages : [1] 2 3

micls
25/06/2008, 12:24 PM
Rumours that we're bidding for him.

Rate him highly from what Ive seen but just looking for some info.

Can he play on the right wing? Do ye think he'd do a job for us?

WoodquayBoy
25/06/2008, 12:51 PM
Do ye need him? Ye had Healy and Gamble out wide when ye beat us in April, also have Kearney as well, so where do you see him fitting in?
He is a right-footed player so he could do a job on the right for ye. I'll be sorry to see him go, even is he is infuriating at times with stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover before crossing . . . to the 'keeper.

micls
25/06/2008, 12:52 PM
Do ye need him? Ye had Healy and Gamble out wide when ye beat us in April, also have Kearney as well, so where do you see him fitting in?
He is a right-footed player so he could do a job on the right for ye. I'll be sorry to see him go, even is he is infuriating at times with stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover stepover after stepover before crossing . . . to the 'keeper.

On the right wing. Our midfield is very unbalanced, we dont have a right winger so were player 3 central midfielders and Kearney. Right wing would be our main priority in this window.

Also Gambles probably gone to Pats so it'd be O Brien Healy George Kearney if he were to sign

Mr Maroon
25/06/2008, 1:12 PM
Also Gambles probably gone to Pats so it'd be O Brien Healy George Kearney if he were to sign
I'd pay to watch that midfield! :D

micls
25/06/2008, 1:14 PM
I'd pay to watch that midfield! :D

You're money is welcome any time :D

A UCd fan posted on our forum that Pats offered him 3k a week and 15k signing on fee. If true I cant see us matching it.

WoodquayBoy
25/06/2008, 1:26 PM
Well, if it does happen, we'll get mour chance to pay money in less than 2 weeks as we are due down there on July 4. I'd certainly pay to watch that midfield as well, Cork becoming my favourite 'other' team due to style of play, colourful fans and the fact it is a great city. Ye might be off the pace a little (for now) in the league but ye at least try to play football, and ye were by far the best footballing team last year

Trainee
25/06/2008, 1:26 PM
Im not sure he will go to any club, Derry held talks with him last November,offerd him a lot more than GUFC could ever but he stayed as he is settled in galway

But time will tell

Mr Maroon
25/06/2008, 1:29 PM
Im not sure he will go to any club, Derry held talks with him last November,offerd him a lot more than GUFC could ever but he stayed as he is settled in galway

But time will tell
That's what I was thinking too. He didn't want to leave then, will he want to leave now?

micls
25/06/2008, 1:30 PM
That's what I was thinking too. He didn't want to leave then, will he want to leave now?

If he thought he was helping the club maybe? if they went to him and said, look we really need this money Derek.

Mr Maroon
25/06/2008, 1:38 PM
If he thought he was helping the club maybe? if they went to him and said, look we really need this money Derek.
Yeah, he would probably go then. I'll be sad to see him leave if he does go, also we will have virtually no one to play on the left wing.... other than Shane Tracy :eek:

GuisaSaigon
25/06/2008, 1:55 PM
He's right footed but prefers to play on the left wing. Haven't seen him play on the right in ages, but he seems to be more effective on the left. He really is the heartbeat of the club IMO and it would be really disappointing to see him leave.

Ceirtlis
26/06/2008, 12:30 PM
He is very frustrating to watch. Maybe with a bit of coaching he could be good because he certainly has the ability to beat players and is quick, but for me he runs down to many dark alleys, and his crossing and long range shooting is poor most of the time, and he offers little protection to his full backs. Having said all that he is probably our most dangerous forward player and he was in the pfai team of the year so it is only my opinion.

Rovers fan
26/06/2008, 12:46 PM
runs down to many dark alleys,
he offers little protection

dangerous

Jeez,its not safe to be going down a dark alley with derek o'brien anyway!

Mr Maroon
26/06/2008, 1:07 PM
It looks like he'll be staying unless the club force him out for the sake of €25,000

GuisaSaigon
26/06/2008, 1:41 PM
If he doesn't want to go the club should respect that. I'm sure Derek would want to stay an fight for the rest of the season. I hope he does stay and that himself and the rest of the squad get stuck in and keep us up.

corbyeire
26/06/2008, 3:06 PM
we can only hope - he didnt want the money last season so hopefully he doesnt want it now - if the board have any clue they wont "force" him out

Mr Maroon
28/06/2008, 12:24 AM
I heard tonight that at least some of the transfer listed players have been taken off the list because DoB has signed for Pats.

gufct
28/06/2008, 6:38 AM
Mr. Maroon you seem to run with every rumour as fact,:mad:

WoodquayBoy
28/06/2008, 9:33 AM
I heard tonight that at least some of the transfer listed players have been taken off the list because DoB has signed for Pats.
Six of the eight transfer listed players were taken off the transfer list because they all accepted a paycut. Nothing to do with O'Brien signing for anyone.
Regi and Greg still listed, but the others not, though I guess all players are available for sale for the right price.

Terry
28/06/2008, 11:19 AM
Mr. Maroon, dont be posting rumours as facts. Dont want to read rubbish like this again. What woodquay posted is 100% correct

Blueandproud
28/06/2008, 1:57 PM
He scored a scrappy goal to knock us out of the F.A.I. Cup.

" Derek O'Brien, anywhere on the park ", YEAH RIGHT LOL !

Square Heir
28/06/2008, 3:17 PM
Six of the eight transfer listed players were taken off the transfer list because they all accepted a paycut. Nothing to do with O'Brien signing for anyone.
Regi and Greg still listed, but the others not, though I guess all players are available for sale for the right price.

That's great news. Is Daryl Robson included in that 6?

Tir Oilean
28/06/2008, 4:16 PM
Presume Wes is in that 6 too?

Trainee
28/06/2008, 4:23 PM
only regi and Greg are on the list but the club will listen to offers for any of our players

As for DOB I heard he was made a great offer by pats but he has a settled life in galway and turned down their offer

WoodquayBoy
28/06/2008, 8:21 PM
Some of the muck going around about O'Brien is crazy - heard someone last night say he had signed for Dundalk ffs!
Just to clarify, Wes, Daryl, Lester, O'Flynn, Banana and Foley all off transfer list.

gufct
28/06/2008, 10:04 PM
The club are still open to offers for players or wont stand in their way if they get another club.

galwaygirl
29/06/2008, 3:12 AM
dont know where you're gettin your info out of Mr. Maroon, Derek has not signed for Pats and this is 100% fact

gufct
29/06/2008, 8:39 AM
dont know where you're gettin your info out of Mr. Maroon, Derek has not signed for Pats and this is 100% fact

He gets it off the internet and believes every rumour he reads there and hears around town is fact without checking it out.He is a good young supporter but he does my head in with some some of his posts.

Mr Maroon
29/06/2008, 1:17 PM
I never said it was fact. I said I heard from a fellow supporter on Friday. It was just speculation I know.

GuisaSaigon
29/06/2008, 3:28 PM
AFAIK Derek is not interested in moving to Pats despite being offered a much better contract than he could get here. Fair play to him, €25,000 was a ridiculously low fee to accept . The club should now put more effort into increasing income to help with the salary cap and let the players get on with the job at hand.

GuisaSaigon
02/07/2008, 9:18 AM
Latest story doing the rounds is that the club are trying to bully Derek into going to Pats because they need the money - €25,000. The same amount of money they would raise by getting an extra 1,250 fans to attend Terryland between now and the end of the season:eek:. I smell a sack the board campaign a'coming......

corbyeire
02/07/2008, 11:00 AM
sack the board! sack the board! sack the board! sack the board! sack the board! lol!

Mr Maroon
02/07/2008, 2:27 PM
If they do force him out........SACK THE BOARD!

Patrick Dunne
02/07/2008, 5:01 PM
Who will take their place ?

Mr A
02/07/2008, 5:39 PM
Salthill Devon?

Patrick Dunne
02/07/2008, 10:58 PM
"Our holy Lord, above in Heaven,
Save us all from Salthill Devon".

gufcfan
03/07/2008, 2:36 AM
"Our holy Lord, above in Heaven,
Save us all from Salthill Devon".

Amen.

charliesboots
04/07/2008, 1:36 PM
Heard he's on the way to Pats as your board need the money. €25k with add ons for appearances, trophies etc.

Can anybody confirm it?

GuisaSaigon
04/07/2008, 1:41 PM
Forced out against his wishes, he is on his way to Pat's.

GuisaSaigon
04/07/2008, 1:43 PM
A loyal servant to the club and a GUFC legend. Thanks for everything Derek, best of luck with Pat's. We all know the truth.

charliesboots
04/07/2008, 1:43 PM
Pity for the lad if he wanted to stay.

Hopefully it doesn't affect his form for us if everything goes through.

GuisaSaigon
04/07/2008, 1:46 PM
Wanted to stay and help the club avoid relegation. The club preferred the relegation option and told him where to stick his loyalty!

GuisaSaigon
04/07/2008, 6:06 PM
He has just passed his medical and signed for Pat's :(

Maroon 7
04/07/2008, 6:10 PM
Forced out against his wishes, he is on his way to Pat's.

Yep. Didn't really want to go by all accounts. Sad.

Whatever little chance we had of staying up has probably just gone out the window.

Tribalhooie
04/07/2008, 6:13 PM
Thanks for the memories Derek. It is such a shame to be losing our best player for the last few years against his wishes. Most of us knew Derek and always acknowledged the fans whether home or away and would always stop and have a chat if you met him in the street. I personally wish Derek all the best. I wonder if the club had the "BRAINS" to put in a clause in the deal that didnt allow Derek to play against us again this season because he would run riot.

Terry
04/07/2008, 6:32 PM
hopefully he will forget hes not wearing the maroon jersey anymore and go in the opposite direction !!!!! Best of luck Derek and your welcome back any day.

Mr Maroon
04/07/2008, 6:36 PM
It's a sad day. It's come to this.
I wish Derek all the best at Pats and as Terry said he's welcome back any day.

Martinho II
04/07/2008, 8:22 PM
It's a sad day. It's come to this.
I wish Derek all the best at Pats and as Terry said he's welcome back any day.

read in one of the tabloids today that derek o'brien spent one season with sligo rovers what season was that does anyone know??

Tir Oilean
04/07/2008, 8:52 PM
Sad day for United. Looks extremely bleek with all these players havin to go. At least the remaining members of the squad did us proud in Turners Cross tonight

Mr Maroon
04/07/2008, 9:41 PM
read in one of the tabloids today that derek o'brien spent one season with sligo rovers what season was that does anyone know??
2003 iirc