PDA

View Full Version : Mahon lets fly at UCD 'knockers'

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2008, 1:31 PM
From Irish Independent (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/mahon-lets-fly-at-ucd-knockers-1420001.html):

PETE MAHON has lashed out at the treatment his UCD side has received from the media this season, claiming that there is a communal notion that his side "deserve" to be in the First Division.

Speaking ahead of the Students' FAI Ford Cup third round replay against Monaghan United tonight, Mahon reacted angrily to coverage of their scoreless draw with Sligo Rovers on Saturday night and claimed that his players do not get fair dues for good performances.

"There seems to be a perception that we have no right to play well and I'm sick of it. Despite some of the coverage I've been reading, Saturday night's game was one of the good games of the season. It might have been a scoreless draw but it was a very entertaining one.

Happy

"There are some people who feel we should go off into the First Division and make everyone happy but that's rubbish.

"The only difference between ourselves and a side like Bray is that we don't have the strikers," continued Mahon, "I can see now why clubs are prepared to pay big money for strikers. That's why the likes of St Pat's are doing so well."

It is a striker, Paul Byrne, that constitutes his only injury worry as Mahon plots to see off Monaghan at the Belfield Bowl tonight.