PDA

View Full Version : DC give up Premier League protest

AnnaghRed
23/06/2008, 3:51 PM
Donegal Celtic have decided not to make any further protest about their controversial exclusion from the new 12-team IFA Premiership.

DC missed out when applicants were rated on criteria such as results, facilities, finances and provision for youth and women's football.

Officials from the west Belfast club lodged an appeal but this was turned down by an IFA Appeals Board.

Chairman Raymond Bonner confirmed they would not fight the matter any further.

They could earn promotion by winning the new Intermediate division next season, as long as they have a domestic club licence.

Portadown will also be aiming for a quick rerturn to the top flight having lost out because their Premier application missed the deadline.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/7468293.stm

Martinho II
23/06/2008, 4:59 PM
what teams are there in the new intermediate league alltogether?? I would assume div 1 has bein abolished???:confused:

dcfcsteve
23/06/2008, 8:26 PM
At last - Donegal Celtic have accepted that they were excluded from the new Premier League because their back-room set-up just isn't up to scratch, rather than due to some anti-catholic agenda.

Now they will hopefully focus on getting their act together so they can return to the top league again in a stronger position.

Graemerz
23/06/2008, 9:18 PM
At last - Donegal Celtic have accepted that they were excluded from the new Premier League because their back-room set-up just isn't up to scratch, rather than due to some anti-catholic agenda.

Now they will hopefully focus on getting their act together so they can return to the top league again in a stronger position.

Strange for me to agree with you. :D

Mr_Parker
25/06/2008, 2:58 PM
because their back-room set-up just isn't up to scratch,

:confused:

SolitudeRed
30/06/2008, 6:51 PM
If there is to be promotion and relegation this season will DC not have to do something to their stadium before they can be readmitted to the top flight? I think that was one of the main reasons that they didn't get into the invitational league in the first place!

EalingGreen
01/07/2008, 10:11 AM
If there is to be promotion and relegation this season will DC not have to do something to their stadium before they can be readmitted to the top flight? I think that was one of the main reasons that they didn't get into the invitational league in the first place!

Afaiu, DCFC were awaiting a significant Stadium grant from the NI Sports Council, which was delayed, due to sports politics (small "p"). Fair enough, that was tough on them, but instead of sitting around girning, there were other inexpensive actions they could have taken in the meantime, to earn them qualifying points.

For example, points were gained for having drug-testing facilities (a UEFA Licensing requirement). Bangor FC spotted this, went out and bought a Portacabin, fitted it out with tables, chairs, fridge, loos etc and gained extra points for a moderate outlay. DCFC didn't bother.

It may be that the NISC money for DCFC will come through soon enough, and/or they will follow the lead of the likes of Bangor and make a start on the basics, at least. That said, there's no absolute guarantee they'll finish in a promotion spot (top 2?) next season, for this to be pertinent, anyhow. Portadown will be v.strong favourites for top spot and it would only take one other team to have an exceptional season to squeeze DCFC out. And even if they did finish 2nd, they will likely face a play-off against the team finishing second-bottom of the Prem.

SolitudeRed
02/07/2008, 6:12 PM
Afaiu, DCFC were awaiting a significant Stadium grant from the NI Sports Council, which was delayed, due to sports politics (small "p"). Fair enough, that was tough on them, but instead of sitting around girning, there were other inexpensive actions they could have taken in the meantime, to earn them qualifying points.

For example, points were gained for having drug-testing facilities (a UEFA Licensing requirement). Bangor FC spotted this, went out and bought a Portacabin, fitted it out with tables, chairs, fridge, loos etc and gained extra points for a moderate outlay. DCFC didn't bother.

It may be that the NISC money for DCFC will come through soon enough, and/or they will follow the lead of the likes of Bangor and make a start on the basics, at least. That said, there's no absolute guarantee they'll finish in a promotion spot (top 2?) next season, for this to be pertinent, anyhow. Portadown will be v.strong favourites for top spot and it would only take one other team to have an exceptional season to squeeze DCFC out. And even if they did finish 2nd, they will likely face a play-off against the team finishing second-bottom of the Prem.

I didn't realise that Bangor had gone top such lengths fair play to them I suppose it was a shrewd move on their part, I think Institute and the Crues carried out improvementson their grounds also IIRC the Crues put more seats in their stand but only as many as was needed to fulfil the requirements for the licence. Yes I suppose I was being a bit presumptuous in thinking that DC will finish second I'm sure they will face stiff competition from Armagh Limavady and Larne who they finished ahead of in last seasons league table. As for the Grant money it can take its time coming through well that has been our experience with the new cage stand, But DC are seemingly further ahead in the process than I thought so hopefully we'll be seeing improvements at Suffolk Road soon.