PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League - Most influential figures

Jeff Jefty Jeff
21/08/2003, 9:10 AM
Originally posted by Pablo Escobar
You seem fairly interested!
If you are from/living in Ireland, you really don't no what your missing!

Why not turn up at an EL game before the end of the season and judge for yourself, as far as I know it's legal to support an Irish Club!

The Premiersh1t means nothing to me!

No, I'm English. I'm interested in the Irish Premier League because I work for Codemasters in England. We're currently making LMA 2004 and I am responsible for the Eircom League within the game. Looking at Irish forums, though, I have to say that I have become increasingly interested in the Irish game. Although I support Blackburn Rovers, I would be happy to come over one day and see Ireland, not to mention go to a match.

Who are the three most important/influential players in the Eircom League?

Jeff

James
21/08/2003, 9:14 AM
Originally posted by Jeff Jefty Jeff

good question.. depends what you mean exactly

off the field prob:
Pat Dolan
Ollie Byrne
Stephen Kenny

on the field
Glen Crowe
George O Callaghan
Paul Osam

wws
21/08/2003, 9:17 AM
Most Influential (Form and Impact):
Tony Bird, Kevin Hunt, George O'Callaghan

All Time Greats still Playing:
Liam Coyle, Paul Osam

Prolific Strikers
John O Flynn, Jason Byrne

Entertainers
Wes Houlihan, Babaz Livingstone, Karim El Kehbir, Shane Barrett, Liam Coyle

good defenders
Colin Hawkins, Colm Foley

thats off the top of my head

wws
21/08/2003, 9:18 AM
players are normally on the field james :rolleyes:

I left Crowe off my list cause he simply isnt delivering this season

Macy
21/08/2003, 9:25 AM
I'd also say you're off the field list is a bit misleading - I wouldn't say Dolo or Kenny have any influence..... Dolo might do a lot of talking, but (rightly or wrongly) when was the last time anyone in Authority actually listened/ implemented his ideas (not all of which are bad btw)?

James
21/08/2003, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by wws
players are normally on the field james :rolleyes:

well wws .. i was referring to them as 'players' in the sense that they have an influence in the area of the eircom league as it were
not that they played the game like ...

agree bout crowe though on current form, those i listed were off top of me head

*thread split into new thread on topic :)

wws
21/08/2003, 9:41 AM
well I prefer to talk about the players
as all the off the field "players" are yesterdays news hopefully
since summer soccer took off I reckon the rivalry and drama is back where it belongs: on the pitch

James
21/08/2003, 9:49 AM
duno bout that wws
if you were in turners cross last friday night you wud have seen the rivalry off the pitch between us and rovers :)

wont be the same (full regalia) when we play pats soon but we'll look forward to it non the less.

speaking of ppl involved or past ppl with the league what ever happened to yur man darren bernstein..whats he upto now and i wonder did anything come of those fans forums he hosted with the star ?

wws
21/08/2003, 10:02 AM
he works in the football in the community scheme in charlton which is reputedly one of the biggest in england

my point above was really to say that if irish football is to keep getting better than the players themselves will have to grab the headlines and not the managers/chairmen (normally due to rows and fiascos)

I think its happening especially with all the representative players doing well in ireland teams and our clubs able to live with first round opposition in europe for the first time in years

it also helps that a successfull ireland boss basically came from the league of ireland so its glamour by association, its harder and harder for armchair fans to slag the league off when bohs can dismiss eastern european teams and o'flynn and crowe can represent and do well at international level, and the ireland boss name cecks have the league of ireland past and present at press conferences!

James
21/08/2003, 10:38 AM
plus georgies got white boots :D

wws
21/08/2003, 10:58 AM
he always reminds me of gary breen in fairness

Xlex
21/08/2003, 11:04 AM
he always reminds me of gary breen in fairness

spot on... always thought it...

tiktok
21/08/2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Jefty Jeff

Glen Crowe - getting capped while being a member of an EL side was hugely important.
Paul Osam / Liam Coyle - about as close as we have to superstars, both have led their respective clubs to silverware and are highly respected right throughout the league.
John O'Flynn - an exciting young player, three goals inn four U21 Internaronals, the most high profile among a crop of bright up and coming players in the EL.

not a player but
Brian Kerr - because of the path he took to the biggest job in Irish soccer, and because he hasn't forgotten it

wws
22/08/2003, 9:24 AM
kerr was on play it again des last nite and chose pats in oriel as one of his most pleasurable matches

pete
22/08/2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
Glen Crowe - getting capped while being a member of an EL side was hugely important.
Paul Osam / Liam Coyle - about as close as we have to superstars, both have led their respective clubs to silverware and are highly respected right throughout the league.
John O'Flynn - an exciting young player, three goals inn four U21 Internaronals, the most high profile among a crop of bright up and coming players in the EL.

not a player but
Brian Kerr - because of the path he took to the biggest job in Irish soccer, and because he hasn't forgotten it

Think you probably spotr on there.

Blue Muff
22/08/2003, 12:56 PM
Not a player but definitely the most influential person in the EL is Pat Dolan. His has the highest profile in the game. Cork are enjoying the benefits of having the big man as manager as evidenced by the massive crowds they are getting all season. (much bigger than any of the Dublin clubs)

wws
22/08/2003, 1:03 PM
shels have the worst gates in the league
yet can sign better players and have infinitely more resources than cork ever will have

bad management on dolans part? or just his influence is cosmetic only and cant bring tangible benefits outside of publicity?

Macy
22/08/2003, 1:16 PM
Originally posted by Blue Muff
Not a player but definitely the most influential person in the EL is Pat Dolan. His has the highest profile in the game. Cork are enjoying the benefits of having the big man as manager as evidenced by the massive crowds they are getting all season. (much bigger than any of the Dublin clubs)
Can't agree - he may be the most high profile, but what influence does he really have? Oily has the most power (for the moment)....

I'd also question whether Corks gates are much up on last season? Dolo's more popular than Gunther, but is his influence on stuff like crowds that much greater than his director of football?

Dodge
22/08/2003, 1:37 PM
Ollie and gerry Cuffe are the two most influential figures in real terms.

High profile (INO) Kerr, Dolan, Crowe, Osam and Coyle

O'Flynn isn't known outside of LOI circles yet, the others are

Slash/ED
22/08/2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by wws
shels have the worst gates in the league

In fairness, that's complete rubbish.

Colm
23/08/2003, 2:16 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
In fairness, that's complete rubbish.

Is it really though? When we were up in Tolka a few weeks ago there was less than 1000 at the game of which 200 were City fans.

Slash/ED
23/08/2003, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by Colm
Is it really though? When we were up in Tolka a few weeks ago there was less than 1000 at the game of which 200 were City fans.

Yeah, I was amazed at that crowd really and it was poor, but the crowds have been decent enough this year, I know that average attendences thread is all guess work but last time I checked, about a month ago, Shels had the second highest crowds in Dublin.

Dodge
25/08/2003, 8:49 AM
Originally posted by Colm
So going by previous over estimates, that'll be 50 of you so...