PDA

View Full Version : Ruskie Boss Quits...

Peadar
21/08/2003, 8:56 AM
Gazzaev tenders Russia resignation
Thursday, 21 August 2003

Valeri Gazzaev has resigned as Russia coach after a 2-1 home defeat against Israel in a friendly last night, a spokesman for the Russian Football Union (RFU) said on Thursday.

'Resignation accepted'
"Koloskov accepted his resignation," Andrei Tarabrin told Reuters, in a reference to RFU president Viacheslav Koloskov. The identity of the country's new coach is expected to be known in the next few weeks.
http://www.euro2004.com/
©Reuters 1998-2003. All rights reserved.

Russia coach, Valery Gazzayev, has quit the National team after a poor showing by his players in their 2-1 home defeat to Israel yesterday. Gazzayev, under heavy pressure from media and fans to quit after a string of poor results, spoke with RFU president Vyacheslav Koloskov after blasting his team for a 'disgusting performance' in Wednesday's friendly international.

"Koloskov accepted his resignation," RFU spokesman Andrei Tarabrin told Reuters.

Soccer pundits said Gazzayev's assistant coach Alexander Borodyuk, a former Soviet international, was his most likely successor. Borodyuk, 40, played in two World Cups, in Italy in 1990 and in the United States four years later, and won a gold medal with the Soviet Union at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

Gazzayev, 49, replaced Oleg Romantsev as national coach in July last year following Russia's dismal World Cup showing, and vowed to shed his predecessor's 'caveman' image. He began by discarding veteran players who had formed the backbone of the national team for much of the last decade.

Romantsev had been criticised by Russian media for selecting an ageing World Cup squad, for being overly cautious in his approach and for employing 'outdated tactics'.

The Republic of Ireland take on Russia in a vital Euro 2004 qualifier at Lansdowne Road on September 6th.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/0821/soccer/russia.html

NigeSausagepump
21/08/2003, 9:08 AM
Could be a mixed blessing. Gazzaev discarded a rake of the old guard for younger, up and coming players. His successor may well bring the likes of Karpin, Mostovoi etc back for the game against us. I'd imagine it'll be an occasion for the experienced head, so the Ruskies will be stronger if the veterans are back.

Slash/ED
21/08/2003, 5:45 PM
A new coach is always dangerous, honeymoon periods and all that, but the Russians look all over the place right now, the new man wont be appointed for a while and will take a good while to sort out the mess they seem to be in. I'm still confident we'll beat them.

tiktok
21/08/2003, 10:13 PM
on mature recollection...
i'm pretty sure they were meant to be all over the polace when we played them away as well. it didn't really affect them on the field (although we were rubbish).
they'll probably appoint someone now close to the squad to manage until the qualifiers are over, i doubt they'll risk upsetting things too much.
either way, i think we'll take them.

Slash/ED
21/08/2003, 11:02 PM
Yeah but we were all over the place then too and we've home advantage now, I definitely think we'll take them, and without Hakin Yakin Switzerland away is made less daunting too.