PDA

View Full Version : Previous Blues Managers

A face
22/06/2008, 3:13 PM
Gareth Cronin is currently holding the position. Who were that manager before him? What years were they there?

superfrank
22/06/2008, 3:35 PM
Wasn't it Mike Kerley before him in 2005 or 2006 and Alan Reynolds before Kerley?

I know Jimmy McGeough was the boss before Reynolds. McGeough saved them from relegation in 2003, iirc. Then Reynolds took over c. 2003/2004 and led them to the cup final.

Bluebeard
25/06/2008, 10:45 AM
Since 2002 (Listed by seasons in charge)
2002-2003, 2003 - Jimmy McGeough (2)
2004, Apr or May 2005 - Alan Reynolds (1 and a half)
About two weeks in 2005 - Giles Cheevers* (2 games)
June or July to December 2005 - Brendan Rea+ (nearly half a season)
Jan to late July 2006 - "Magic" Mike Kerley (Half a season: 17 league games without a win)
Two Weeks in July & August 2006 - Darren Browne (2 games)~
August 2006 to EOS, 2007, 2008 to date - Gareth Cronin

*Cheevers was a strange kind of limbo between being the manager and the caretaker manager, looked like he was going to be given the job for a bit, then announced he'd a job in the US in a school. Was the highest qualified coach in the country at the time, and the most loathed man at the club by the fans.
+ Brendan Rea invited his friend Pat Dolan in to help in an "Advisorial manner". Suddenly the Blues started winning games again. Officially Dolan was not the manager. Officially, Rea was out on his ear after the season was over.
~ Browne (uncertain of first name, as there have been a lot of Brownes involved in the club over the years) was the underage coach, and caretook for two games, drawing one against Cork City at the RSC, and getting hammered in Derry in the other.

noby
25/06/2008, 10:50 AM
It's a very long list if you went back even twenty years. 18 months is a long time before you get shafted by the club.

stann
25/06/2008, 4:03 PM
~ Browne (uncertain of first name, as there have been a lot of Brownes involved in the club over the years) was the underage coach, and caretook for two games, drawing one against Cork City at the RSC, and getting hammered in Derry in the other.

Wasn't it Sean Browne? Pretty sure of that. Jesus, with the memory of such a short time ago shot I don't think I'll be much help in going farther back. ;)
Noby, isn't Cronin now the second longest serving Blues manager of all time? :D

Bluebeard
25/06/2008, 4:09 PM
Wasn't it Sean Browne? Pretty sure of that. Jesus, with the memory of such a short time ago shot I don't think I'll be much help in going farther back. ;)
Noby, isn't Cronin now the second longest serving Blues manager of all time? :D

Nope, only since we changed the name in 1982 (don't be giving folks fuel!)

If he starts the next season, I think he's the longest serving since one of Alfie's spells. I cannot remember anyone in recent years managing us over 4 different seasons in one spell.

stann
25/06/2008, 4:23 PM
Like David Webb on Mock The Week a while back, that was supposed to be a huge exaggeration for comedic purposes, but I'm a bit freaked out to find out it was close to the truth! :D