PDA

View Full Version : O'Flynn leading Cork scorer for Ireland

Counting Crow
20/08/2003, 9:42 PM
Next to Irwin and Keane, O'Flynn must the next highest Corkman to score for Ireland.

He certainly has the best goals per game ratio.

The only problem is if he keeps up this record he is bound to attract attention from other teams in England.

We'll be doing well to hold onto him 'till the end of the season.

thecorner
20/08/2003, 9:50 PM
at this rate brian kerr cant ignore him for much longer

RedX
20/08/2003, 9:55 PM
Lets not always be worried about holding onto Flynny.I am sure he will not run for the first offer that comes his way.He is very happy here and he is doing fairly well for himself.I would be very surprised to see him move before the end of the season.People automatically think that once a player is doing well he will be snapped up.Times have changed though.He is a star in Cork playing in front of big crowds and getting capped by his country.I am sure he is earning a few bob for his trobles also between City and his Puma sponsorship.If he moved i am sure it would take a very good offer for City to sell him and for him to leave.And at that if worse came to worse at least for the first time we now have confidence in our board that the money would be re-invested.I reckon Flynny is on a good number here at City and deservingly so, so let us try not to worry about losing him to often.I think we will get another couple of seasons out of the lad...

tiktok
21/08/2003, 3:22 AM
Originally posted by thecorner
at this rate brian kerr cant ignore him for much longer

seeing as Kerr was willing to give Crowe a chance when he was on form and that U21 is the second highest level you can represent Ireland at (since we stopped playing B internationals) you'd imagine that Givens should be pushing him to at least train with the squad.

unfortunately for flynny, it's the wrong time to be trying to break into the scene, since we're at a critical stage in qualifiers and Euro2004 is under a year away. WC2006 with a bit of luck.

Peadar
21/08/2003, 9:02 AM
Originally posted by tiktok

unfortunately for flynny, it's the wrong time to be trying to break into the scene, since we're at a critical stage in qualifiers

If Brian Kerr is willing to give David Connolly a chance then I can't see why O'Flynn doesn't deserve a call-up for the Turkey game next month. He wont want to risk Robbie Keane again with the Switzerland game only a few weeks later.
Connolly has never had a good game for Ireland and has used his 9 lives as far as I'm concerned!

pete
21/08/2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Peadar
Connolly has never had a good game for Ireland and has used his 9 lives as far as I'm concerned!

Couldn't agree more.

Suppose pecking order of forwards for Ireland now would be something like:
Keane, Morrisson, Doherty, Connolly, Lee...

Outsiders be Sadlier, Barret, Crowe (last year)...

Seeing as the Turkey game is just after the Russia match Kerr will hardly risk too many of his first choice XI for that game?

O'Flynn probably needs to knock in a few more goals in the coming weeks to attract a bit more attention.

golly
21/08/2003, 5:51 PM
jof has always said he wants to return to england with a big club ie fist div or prem. but like u redx i dont understand why u would want to leave wen ur getting international recognition are a legend at ur own club and are fairly wealthy. d only reason i can think of is more money and john doesnt seem to b a greedy b*****d. heres hoping he stays he is brilliant

Counting Crow
21/08/2003, 8:58 PM
Lets be realistic here now guys..........1

Lennox has invested a lot of his own money at this stage with little return.

The money supply can't be endless and must be running low.

If a good offer comes in, say 250,000, do you think he would pass it up?

I don't.

Just hope they put in some follow up clause like an extra 300,000 when he gets his first cap, or 50 first team appearances etc.

tiktok
21/08/2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
....I can't see why O'Flynn doesn't deserve a call-up for the Turkey game next month

i didn't say he didn't deserve it, just that it's unlikely given the timing. i think Kerr is going to go with tried and trusted in that friendly because if anything happens to a first team regular at club level he's going to have to quick decisions.

pete
22/08/2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
The money supply can't be endless and must be running low.

How? Biggest crowdsa in the league & improved professionalism off the pitch must mean commercial revenues must be increasing. I doubt CCFC awash with cash but must be one of the most financially secure clubs in the country right now.