PDA

View Full Version : Cork City V Celtic

joe
08/06/2001, 3:08 PM
Just heard on the radio that City will play Celtic (I assume he means the one from Glasgow) on Friday July 6th.

Neil
08/06/2001, 4:58 PM
It's great news financially, the only thing is it will be embarassing having 10 times more Celtic jerseys in the ground than City. The bar-stool gits will be out in force. We have to keep the Shed 'City only'...

James
08/06/2001, 5:04 PM
better than the usual friendlies we have against second or third rate british sides . ie swansea/wolves etc.

but are they bringing a full side is the next bit. if they are then cant wait to see caughlan trying to mark henrik larson..can you imagine it!

Agree with neil and that you will see the celtic support outnumber the home support, i'd say by a good bit. but as long as we keep the shed for the real city support i dont mind.

james

pete
08/06/2001, 5:13 PM
IMO City should charge 25 quid for the stand & 20 for the rest of the ground & let the celtic fans pay for our season ;)

= 200k approx.

Should be progress to the 2nd round of the toto-cup would we not be playing in Holland on the weekedn of the 7/8th of July? :rolleyes:

James
08/06/2001, 5:21 PM
charge the celtic oriish supporters £25/30

as for the next round of the interfloppo yea its on the week later.
guess the club either dont think we'll make it that far or else cant turn up an offer like this and will play the match even if we have a second round match a few days later. hell they'd probably rate the celtic match as more important anyway given the potential crowd/money that they can make from it

james

The Good Son
08/06/2001, 5:25 PM
"better than the usual friendlies we have against second or third rate british sides . ie swansea/wolves etc."
That's exactly what Glasgow Celtic are a 3rd rate British side.

James
08/06/2001, 5:27 PM
That's exactly what Glasgow Celtic are a 3rd rate British side.

eh what planet you from boy?

The Good Son
08/06/2001, 5:40 PM
Well maybe you can explain to me the difference between Gasgow Celtic and a 3rd rate British Side.

James
08/06/2001, 5:44 PM
Larson

nuff said

Neil
08/06/2001, 5:46 PM
All British teams are third rate.

1st class teams come from Spain, Italy, Germany and France. They play good football.

pete
08/06/2001, 5:48 PM
........why celtic pulled out of the Dublin 4 team tournament & decided to play city & $hel$?

Are City & $hel$ paying them that much more money??? :confused:

James
08/06/2001, 5:50 PM
btw this is getting too pedantic

by thrid rate british side i meant exactly that a third rate british side...ie to spell it out for ye a third rate side from britain...ok

never mentioned spain or italy where the footie is better.. without doubt.

all i was saying is that in a british context celtic are far better then the usual swansea rubbish we get for friendlies!

james

The Good Son
08/06/2001, 6:03 PM
So if Larson isn't playing is it alright to call them a 3rd rate British side. :)

Neil
08/06/2001, 9:15 PM
Cork City were last night given the go-ahead to jointly host Glasgow Celtic during their tour of Ireland. The Evening Echo today revealed that the Scottish treble winners will play against Cork City at Turner's Cross on Friday, July 6th at 6pm.

The game will be played two days before Celtic play Shelbourne, and the game was only arranged last night after Shelbourne agreed to a request from Cork City.

The Scottish giants, managed by Martin O'Neill, will bring a full-strength squad to Turner's Cross, including 53-goal Swede Henrik Larsson and Cork-born Irish U-21 star Colin Healy.

Celtic's three Scottish trophies will also be paraded around Turner's Cross on the night.

Cork City hope to use the game to recoup much of their losses suffered during a poor financial year for the club.

A face
08/06/2001, 11:14 PM
that the city fans with city shirts wear em and not run out a get shiey new ones 'speacially for the game. ****s, lots of noise lads and hope we get some good pics, City 2 Celtic 1, you heard it here first !!!?!?!

A face
08/06/2001, 11:16 PM
and not run out a get shiey new ones 'speacially for the game

I meant they will run out and get Celtic shirts for it.

joe
09/06/2001, 12:25 AM
wouldn't it be a nice gesture if city let people wearing city jersies in for free?

Neil
09/06/2001, 12:34 AM
You might be onto something...

How about charge the punter £25 to get in... OR...

Get in free with a City jersey... AND...
There will be stalls outside the ground selling City jerseys for £20 (which is the price in Cummins now)!

joe
09/06/2001, 4:26 PM
someone told me they heard that the match has been moved to july 16th - anyone else hear this?

joe
10/06/2001, 7:05 PM
Shels are charging a hefty fee anyway (from Shelsweb (http://www.shelbournefc.ie/)):

Tickets for Celtic game
[10 June 2001 - 15:19]

Members of the Shelbourne FC Supporters' Club have an advance opportunity to buy tickets for the upcoming Celtic game.

Tickets are limited to 2 per member and are available through the supporters club. This special arrangement is only in place until Wednesday 13th June.

Tickets are priced at £30 covered seats; £25 uncovered seats: £5 children (limited number available) and go on general sale from Wednesday 13th at Ticketmaster outlets.

pete
11/06/2001, 10:29 AM
As i'm unlikely to make the Celtic game I don't really care what the score is as long as City make a mint (& use it wisely) & also beat the latvians!

I'd prefer to be in Holland than Turners Cross ;)

Neil
11/06/2001, 10:30 AM
$hels have the right idea, and that's exactly what City should go and do. Although I could imagine a bit of a discussion on Neil Prendeville's programme if they did!

joe
11/06/2001, 10:30 AM
wouldn't we all :D

Neil
11/06/2001, 7:01 PM
Here are the ticket prices, as seen on Shelsweb, for the Shels v Celtic pre season friendly.

Adults £30 (coverered seats)
£25 (uncovered seats) and a few £5 children tickets.

C'mon City! Cha-ching!:cool:

Podge
11/06/2001, 8:35 PM
Any idea where I can get myself a ticket ?

James
11/06/2001, 8:42 PM
and wont be for another week or so me-thinks but try the usual outlets...the lough tavern, lennoxs, cummonins sports or at the home game against the metal people in the interfloppo cup

i'm sure details will be posted by one of us here as soon as they are available

debaroid
12/06/2001, 5:08 PM
Anyone got an idea when the tickets are going on sale for the the game????

Neil
12/06/2001, 5:12 PM
Inside the ground on Saturday.

joe
13/06/2001, 9:31 AM
Ticket prices (AFAIK):

Stand: £30
Uncovered seating: £25
Terrace (Shed + standing behind the seats at St. Anne's): £20
Child: £10

pete
13/06/2001, 10:01 AM
"Terrace (Shed + standing behind the seats at St. Anne's): £20"

I take it from that they expect the place to be packed if they selling standing room at the top of the st annes end?

Good to see only 10 quid for a child.

I'm actually taking back what I said before, I think 30 quid is too much & 20 quid for stand would be enough. Course it all depends on how much Celtic are asking for the appearance fee. So I suppose you could argue its Celtic who are ripping off their "loyal irish supporters" ;)

joe
13/06/2001, 11:00 AM
I don't know about this whole 'ripping-off idea'. I mean, how much do Celtic fans normally pay to see their team?

Jim Smith
13/06/2001, 11:13 AM
Away fans are charged £20 - £25 so the prices are comparible - the facilities are a different matter :) I wonder how much Celtic are charging for the friendly?

Neil
13/06/2001, 11:56 AM
I don't think there's any 'ripping-off' involved. I think City should even charge more than £30, because the bar-stoolers would pay it. Sure they'll be paying £50 for the Celtic jersey. Plane loads go over to Glasgow every weekend, and pay over £200 quid to watch them there.

I've already heard of lots of people, who have never been to Turners Cross before, are gonna go to the Metalurgs match for the sole purpose of getting their Celtic ticket.

Aren't the Irish great?:confused: Something went wrong somewhere....

pete
13/06/2001, 12:42 PM
Derry City did something similar last year too.

They sold the tickets for game V Munchester @ another Derry game & apparently had blowins from Belfast queueing up for tickets while the other game was on & left afetr they got their tickets!

:(

Neil
13/06/2001, 1:18 PM
I believe the $eltic tickets aren't being sold until after the game, and can only be bought with a Metalurgs ticket stub.

jbrazil
13/06/2001, 9:50 PM
think there is any need to buy a ticket before the metalurgs match, just in case they're sold out?:confused:

martinbhoy
13/06/2001, 10:23 PM
As a season ticket holder with Celtic and a regular visitor to the cross to watch City with my kids i find it a little sad to read some of the comments about Celtic and the hostile vibes coming from some of the city fans ....Celtic ,a 3rd rate British team and over pricing for match tickets to recuperate the losses for last season.
Whether people like it or not there is and always will be a great love for Celtic in this great country of ours. There are over 8,000
season ticket holders in Ireland plus those who travel through package trips etc. I know we must support our own local team and have no problem with that but I think we should also continue to extend the hand of friendship to Celtic , their fans both in Scotland and here in Ireland . Its bad enough putting up with those Bigots at Ibrox without being made feel unwanted in
Cork , a city which has had from day one and still does today have strong connections with Celtic. Best of luck to both City and Celtic for the new season .
CELTIC and CITY.....On the one road !

Podge
13/06/2001, 10:52 PM
Here,here.As a City/Celtic fan I'll be shouting my lungs out for both teams in a few weeks time.And don't brand us all barstool gits.There are plenty of us that travel to Celtic Park several times a season (at considerable expense for an 18 year old!) and attend Eircom League games.

dahamsta
13/06/2001, 11:31 PM
Hi martinbhoy,

I think for the most part any animosity shown towards Celtic here - and in plenty of other places - comes from an unhappiness with Irish people following UK soccer instead of local teams, rather than a direct dislike of Celtic. I don't think anyone is to blame really, aside maybe from the FAI and the clubs themselves for not pushing Irish soccer enough.

That's the impression I get anyway.

adam

A face
13/06/2001, 11:58 PM
to support because they are Celts or have Irish connections, surely it should be Hibs, it was only when the good players moved to Celtic from Hibs that it then became "irish", whatever it is anyway, it does seem that people will openly support a team in a different country before their own, it seems mad to some one look in at the whole thing, My feelings towards it are pretty much summed up in what Adams said above, what i cant stand, is people saying it is not good football here and support celtic instead, if it is ManUre, or Liverpool, Real or Inter, then fair enough. but what does strike me about Celitc fans, then ones i have seen anyway, is that it is a pub thing, just go and watch sky sports and get p**sed, and the odd game over there, and the whole rangers/celtic thing adds to it, the atmosphere, but i have also heard the other side of the coin (a great radio programme, not so long ago) Spokes people for the local councils in Glasgow and the damage the whole thing causes. The main arguement was that both clubs dont accept any responsiblily for adding fuel to the fire in the situation, i wonder do any of the season ticket holders over here realise the problems they leave behind after their game, one spokes person compared it to south africa and she showed the contrasts as well, it seems it is a real live social cancer over there.

For me, it is closer to home for my support, it is cheaper and i can identify with it more easily, being from Cork an all.

dahamsta
14/06/2001, 12:32 AM
I guess this has been done to death, but I have to say that I can't really blame Irish people for following UK soccer.

I'm not your model soccer fan by any stretch of the imagination[1], but I have been to games in both Cork and the UK, and in all honestly the difference between them is vast. I mean, I've nearly dozed off at a couple of City matches, and a lot of the rest of the time I was getting eye strain from looking into the sun when the ball was hoofed to Pluto.

You can't really blame the players for that, because you can hardly expect serious talent with the wages that are on offer. But I honestly can't blame Irish people for watching better soccer on the telly either. And you couldn't deny in a thousand years it's not better soccer...

adam

[1] But I'm consistent, you have to give me that! :D

joe
14/06/2001, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by martinbhoy
Its bad enough putting up with those Bigots at Ibrox

yes, the only bigots in Glasgow are the ones wearing blue :rolleyes:

Éanna
14/06/2001, 12:32 PM
Well said Joe. I'd count myself a Celtic follower, in that I always look out for their results and like to see them doing well, but there are as many bigots among the Celtic contingent as among the Rangers- it just so happens most of us are closer to the hooped form of bigotry than the blue one.

Neil
14/06/2001, 12:41 PM
Most Irish football followers will look out for Celtic's results but it's only muppets like Podge and Martinbhoy that you'll see flying out to Glasgow to follow 'their' team, hugging Henrick Larsson at full-time, runnning around like idiots looking for autographs. It's going to be disgusting to see - the Barstool ****ers day-out.

James
14/06/2001, 2:14 PM
i think ther will be mores then those 2 looking to drool over the $eltic players. wait til you see the city board..:D

there will be alot more fans as well then just podge etc..remember was it the last old firm match or second last one .. it was televised and it clashed directly with a city game..rember the pityful crowd we got that day..not even a 1000 people..down to one reason only they would rather be watching sky sitting on a bar stool