PDA

View Full Version : Who plays left-back?

John83
20/08/2003, 2:24 PM
Despite his goal last night, it has to be said that O'Shea was muck in left-back. He was caught out again and again. He managedd to lose the ball every time Duff tried to involve him in the attack. And it's not like this is a new thing. He's played a number of games there for Kerr now, and he's not impressed once.

Old psychological scars resurfaced too - I nearly had a fit every time someone was foolish enough to pass to Harte. Still, he didn't do anything wrong in the time he was on the pitch, and his pass to Morrison setting up the goal proved that he's our best long-range passer by far since Staunton retired. Can we use him again, or is it too risky?

What other options are there? Finnan? Kelly? Kilbane? O'Brien?

NigeSausagepump
20/08/2003, 2:35 PM
Some may find it odd, but I've always been of the opinion that a left sided defender's first job is to defend. If he can instigate crossfield passes, score screaming free kicks or ride a unicycle, great, but if he can't defend up to the requisite standard, he is not doing his primary job and as such should not be in the team.

For me, Harte is a below average defender. Top class wingers can (and have) run past him at will exploiting his lack of pace and slow reflexes. Given the way Russia played against us in Moscow, ie fast counter-attacking from midfield, I think it is imperative we have someone at left back who won't let his man past him. I don't think that person is Harte. I would have loved to have seen Finnan tried there, but if it comes down to a straight choice between Harte and O'Shea, I go for the Man U man every time.

noby
20/08/2003, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
Some may find it odd, but I've always been of the opinion that a left sided defender's first job is to defend.

No one told Roberto Carlos that!

I think there was a lost opportunity to experiment with the left back position lastnight.
I suppose, however good or bad he played, at least O'Shea got another 3/4 of a game there, as i guess that will be his position for the next couple of matches.

More long-term it would be nice to have O'Shea in the centre, with maybe Finnan on the left.

Slash/ED
20/08/2003, 4:38 PM
Finnan for me, Hartes attacking qualitys are great but yet again Viduka showed up his school boy defending at one point, and people forget O'Sheas playing out of position on the left. Breen and Cunningham also lack pace as a partnership, we need someone in there like O'Brien or O'Shea with a bit of pace, the kick out that nearly resulted in a goal showed that up, Cunningham is a fantastic defender but he needs someone with pace beside him.

Estar
20/08/2003, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by John83

What other options are there? Finnan? Kelly? Kilbane? O'Brien?

How about the ball juggler at h/t, he seemed fairly handy.

Defence is ok but midfield is not good enough.

Slash/ED
20/08/2003, 4:45 PM
Agree about mid field, Holland and Kinsella aren't upto scratch, even Healy, who had half a week of training, showed them up, what does that say? Healy has to be the first name down in mid field right now, and I'd put Delap or Carsley beside him before either Holland or Kinsella, who have been absolutley useless in our qualifyers so far.

tiktok
20/08/2003, 4:50 PM
at the moment i think you have to go with O'Shea. i agree that he and Duff didn't match up brilliantly but i thought he defended very well. Harte did better than i thought he would which was encouraging, but he still makes me nervous.

i'd love to see Kilbane at left back behind Duff, i've seen him fill in at left back/wing back a few times and he seems more comfortable there than as an out and out left winger.

O'Shea has to play in the middle of defence eventually. Hopefully Andy O'Brien continues to win his first team place at Newcastle, he's improving all the time and will eventually partner O'Shea IMO.