PDA

View Full Version : Tell all the Poles you know that O'Flynn is better than.....

yiddo
19/08/2003, 8:09 PM
Flynnie does it again scoring in Ireland U-21 5-1 away win in Poland. Thats 3 goals in the last 4 u21 games. Stephen Elliot from Man City got a hatrick and Wes Houlihan got the other.

tiktok
19/08/2003, 8:25 PM
Great stuff once again, flynny, two goals in his last two games, what dry spell???? :D . great to see him do it at international level on a consistent basis.
from www.fai.ie

Elliott hat-trick inspires five-star Ireland

Manchester City striker Stephen Elliott scored a hat-trick as the Republic of Ireland Under 21 side cruised to a 5-1 victory over Poland in Gdansk on Tuesday evening.

In was the biggest victory of manager Don Givens' reign, Elliott - starting for the Under 21s for the first time - was the hero scoring three and creating one as Ireland ran riot with Shelbourne winger Wes Hoolahan and Cork City striker John O'Flynn were also on the score sheet.

It was a hugely impressive performance by Ireland with Hoolahan, back on the left wing after being left out in favour of Andy Reid during the summer, having an inspirational game as he created two of Elliott's goals as well as several other chances while there was plenty of other impressive performances as Ireland warmed up for September's European U21 Championship clash with Poland in style.

Givens was delighted with the performance and the result. "I would have to say that given the circumstances it was probably the best performance under me. The younger players coming in were terrific and apart from their goal when we were a bit sloppy, you would have to be very critical to find anything wrong with our play," he said.

Elliott opened the scoring in the third minute when he fired home a rebound after his initial effort had been saved. But on the quarter hour, Poland were given a life line when a mistake in defence let in Preston North End striker Pavel Addott who fired past the otherwise impressive Dan Connor from the edge of the area.

But Ireland were back in front in the 27th minute when Elliott turned provider when he played in the unmarked Hoolahan who rifled the ball home.

Connor made several saves as Poland looked to come back into the game, but Ireland were also looking threatening with Elliott and O'Flynn always looking likely to grab a third for Ireland. And it was the Cork City striker who eventually found a way through in the 74th minute when he hammered the ball home after substitute Brian Cash's right wing cross had found him unmarked in the area.

With the win almost secured, Ireland continued to push on and Elliott grabbed a fourth Irish goal in the 81st minute when a he raced onto a Hoolahan throughball before slotting the ball home.

And three minutes from time, Elliott completed his hat-trick when once again Hoolahan created the opening with a wonderful defence splitting pass with Elliott hammering the ball home.

Team: Connor; Kelly, Byrne, Cryan, Kohlmann; Gilroy, O'Connor, Keegan, Hoolahan; O'Flynn, Elliott.
Subs: Cash for Gilroy (67 mins), Zayed for O'Flynn, Capper for Kohlmann (both 76 mins), Ward for O'Connor (80 mins).

pete
20/08/2003, 9:23 AM
Obviously the only reason O'Flynn got 'only' one goal was cos he was taken off 2 minutes after scoring. ;)

James
20/08/2003, 9:54 AM
plus dont the seniors have a big match coming up against russia?

esp now keane eile is injury doubt

Flynny for Ireland (http://ccfcpics.net/admin/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album16&id=16_flynny_for_ireland)

pete
20/08/2003, 10:59 AM
O'Flynn would definitely be better than that waster Connolly. :eek:

Macy
20/08/2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by pete
O'Flynn would definitely be better than that waster Connolly. :eek:
How the Fook does he score all those goals in England? The league must be sh!t ;)

Anyway - Barret for Ireland now - the inform young eL striker....

steven17
21/08/2003, 2:54 AM
Originally posted by Macy
How the Fook does he score all those goals in England? The league must be sh!t ;)

not to hammer o flynn or anything but your post is complete bolox. david connelly has proven himself as a player and an international player dosn't matter what division hes in hes got 3 goals in 2 matches, if john o flynn did it he'd be showered in praise and as i said be4 i aint knocking john but why are we so fast to hammer our own and praise the other leauge's david connnelly has in my eyes is deserving of aplace in an irish
team even ahead of dotherty that would **** me off to see a defender inmy position

Macy
21/08/2003, 8:31 AM
Originally posted by steven17
david connelly has proven himself as a player and an international player dosn't matter what division hes in hes got 3 goals in 2 matches, if john o flynn did it he'd be showered in praise and as i said be4 i aint knocking john but why are we so fast to hammer our own and praise the other leauge's david connnelly has in my eyes is deserving of aplace in an irish
team even ahead of dotherty that would **** me off to see a defender inmy position
WTF.... When has Connolly proved himself on the international side? He seems to score for fun in England, but has never produced that kind of form for Ireland - on the contrary he always looks totally out of his depth..... He's got 38 Caps - if he was up to standard he would have proved it at this stage instead of floundering around everytime he plays....

pete
21/08/2003, 10:59 AM
I think Connollys record is 7 or 8 goals in 38 games now.

He probably scored maybe 6 of those goals in his first 10 games & think they were all against the lesser teams in qualifying groups.

I've said it before but no matter how many goals Connnolly scores at club level he will never be international class. The guyt has maybe 1 good game per 10 international games which is not good enough!

joe
21/08/2003, 11:04 AM
yeah, weren't 3 of his goals against liecthenstein (sp?)

NorthoftheLee
21/08/2003, 11:11 AM
to be fair to the lad......

he will never be good enough against the better teams in world football, but he can do a job for ireland against the lesser teams...

the same way that he is not good enough for the premiership but is more that capable at Div 1 standards as his record there will prove.

Éanna
22/08/2003, 1:19 AM
Connelly has consistently scored in division 1 in england. He has also consistently NOT scored for Ireland since his first few games. He has also consistently behaved like a stupid arrogant brat. How the guy gets near the squad is beyond me.

thecorner
22/08/2003, 3:26 AM
Originally posted by steven17
not to hammer o flynn or anything but your post is complete bolox.
all that flynny can score against is the players that r put against him and he is doing that well
how can he score against world class defenders if he isnt giving the chance. there r ONLY 2 in the L.O.I. derek and dan