PDA

View Full Version : SligoRovers v. UCD

HarpoJoyce
19/06/2008, 12:51 PM
I'm looking forward to this game and Cork and Drogheda utd after, I treat them all as a similiar threat.

Sligo Rovers FC have also given us the fuller title of UCD AFC
http://www.sligorovers.com/images/stories/match_posters/UCD%20Poster%20Fini%20SMALL.pdf

Romauld Bocois doing the busioness all over Africa for Benin at the moment nd what's the story with Fahrudin Kudozovic? Is he available for the game?
He was responsible for their comeback in the cup at Tolka, after Cretaro and Judge came on.

Is Chris Butler out for them after his sending off in the FAI Cup? I am expecting so.

They're pretty lively upfront even without some of the ecxpected absentees.

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 12:53 PM
what's the story with Fahrudin Kudozovic? Is he available for the game?
He seems to be gone, but nothing can go through till 1 July. Even still, though, it seems he won't feature any more for them.

Alan Moore probably won't play because the pitch is too bad (although he came on against us in the Bowl and nearly scored). They've released Keith Foy too. Hopefully we'll be near enough full strength after the break (Paul Byrne may still be out) and will have practiced some penalties just in case. Can see a draw.

HarpoJoyce
19/06/2008, 1:00 PM
Well, Hvala Vam Faz. , if that's true that he is away from Sligo.

..... and will have practiced some penalties just in case. Can see a draw.

Crikey, is there penalties after a drawn game in the League now. Is that more Yugoslavian influence or 'cos it was mentioned on TV recently in relation to Czech Republic/Turkey match. Probaly the latter, definitely the latter.

sligoman
19/06/2008, 2:41 PM
Faz is on honeymoon at the moment. Won't be playing for Rovers again. Alan Moore likely not to play, not because of the pitch. Foy wouldn't have played anyway. Butler is suspended yes. Luckily Brush will be back in goals so there shouldn't be too many howlers from the goalkeeper in this one(thank you Pat Jennings;))

With no Boco or Faz we're really lacking up front, I'd guess Judge and Steve Feeney will be playing there. I don't expect many goals to come from them two though. Coleman will make plenty of runs forward so hopefully set someone up.

Prediction 2-1 to Rovers, Coleman and Almeida with the goals.

DRDoc
19/06/2008, 2:59 PM
Coleman will make plenty of runs forward so hopefully set someone up.

But he is suspended

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 7:37 PM
So it'll be 1-1 then?

Chris Butler's suspended too - Foy would be the obvious replacement (both left backs?), but he's now gone. Enough of players missing for Sligo. Really ought to take advantage of this in some way.

deecay
21/06/2008, 11:39 PM
Pineapple,your always gona get stick walking past our vocal support with yer jersey and student haircut but sticking up the fingur is going to get you into trouble some day.Walked a bit out of your way to get back to your seat:)

HarpoJoyce
22/06/2008, 6:24 PM
if we couldn't score 0-0 is the next best thing. I was suprised we dominated the first half so much, but Sligo gave us alot of space, so we used it by keeping possesion but not creating much.
(there appears to be a few results this weekend which were morer unlikely just before the break).

McWalter was left isolated a few times when support from Finn or Fitzer was needed, but his curling pass to Shorthall on the back post was sweet, Shorthall's header went wide. I think it was Fitzser who had a similar cross in the second half for McNall (em.. I think). Mcnally appeared to have a free attacking role in the game, certainly he was getting forward, sometimes are most forward player and no Sligo player picking him up.

From the start of the second half Sligo upped the pace and Alan Moore came on and the pace continued. matti Gregg had to make one blocked shot and two important finger-tip saves in the top left had corner. UCD kept their passing up and put more shots on target in the second-half then the first, mostly edge of the box.

Sligo have a long season ahead to keep their players motivated. Other clubs may take advantage of them.

pineapple stu
22/06/2008, 6:49 PM
Walked a bit out of your way to get back to your seat:)
It was either that or p!ss in the stand. ;)

pineapple stu
22/06/2008, 9:01 PM
UCD added another impressive away result to their season's collection with a 0-0 draw in Sligo, only the second time this season that Sligo have been held scoreless at home. On Midsummer's Day, the weather was anything but seasonable, with most of the game being played in lashing rain, but the two teams produced an entertaining game, with UCD the better side in the first half, but left holding on in the second.

With injuries easing up after the break, only Paul Byrne was missing for UCD. Sligo by contrast were missing both full backs, and Shane Fitzgerald was put on the wing to try take maximum advantage of this. And it was down the right hand side that UCD got most joy in the opening period. One move down the right resulted in a cut back to Fitzgerald, but his low drive was inches wide, Pat McWalter broke forward only for his shot to be deflected wide and a deep cross from Mahon saw the chance of the half when Brian Shortall headed across goal from six yards out. Sligo offered little in return, and UCD went in at the break comfortable.

But as dominant as UCD had been in the first half, Sligo were as good in the second. Within three minutes of the restart, they signalled their intentions with a 25-yard shot from Rafael Cretaro touched wide at full stretch by Matt Gregg. And on 53 minutes, a slip from Brian King let in Doherty, but he curled an effort just over from the edge of the box before Gregg was called on to make an excellent point blank save. On 67 minutes, a cross from the left evaded everyone, bounced in the box and Gregg had to go full stretch again to turn it away to prevent a curious opener for the hosts.

UCD got back into the game as it went on, with the pace of Shane Fitzgerald creating problems on the counter. The best attack came on 73, when he beat the offside trap and squared to Ronan Finn, breaking through the middle, but Finn hadn't timed his run as well and was called up for offside.

The game started moving from end to end; Derek Doyle had a shot from distance saved, Pat McWalter fluffed a header from six yards after another excellent Alan Mahon cross while Sligo had a shot on the turn inches wide on 88 and a curling shot was tipped onto the bar by Matt Gregg just as the board went up.

Overall though, a draw was a fair result, although more cutting edge up front will be needed on Tuesday for the FAI Cup replay against Monaghan.

UCD - Gregg; Mahon, Bermingham, Kenna, Shortall; McNally, Fitzgerald, Doyle, King, Finn (Purcell 78); McWalter (Bolger 87). Subs - Brennan, Reilly, McMillan.

Att - c 800

Poor Student
22/06/2008, 9:54 PM
I was quite pleased with the performance. Every player on the team put in a solid effort and you couldn't have any complaints about any of them. I thought some of the interplay down the left between Bermo, Doyle and McWalter was very nice but as Harpo already mentioned central support was lacking. We were very toothless up front. I'm not quite sure why Timmy Purcell isn't starting. A draw from Sligo is a good result and it's encouraging we know that McFaul is to come back into the fold. In contrast some of our relegation rivals are having to shed squad numbers to reign in the budget. Hopefully Bohs can do the business on Tuesday and this will have been a positive round of fixtures.

DRDoc
23/06/2008, 6:48 PM
Anyone know who the fourth official was?

pineapple stu
24/06/2008, 12:18 PM
No idea, I'm afraid.