PDA

View Full Version : Dear God, it's been boring here...

thischarmingman
17/06/2008, 12:44 AM
...so here's this week's fixtures earlier than usual:

Cork v Cobh
Drogs v Derry
Pats v Bray
Harps v Bohs
Shams v Galway
Sligo v UCD (Sat)

It's interesting to speculate how much of an effect the break will have had. I reckon losing 3-2 at home after being 3-2 up and then having to wait 3 weeks to rectify it would make Derry dangerous opposition but they're away against the champions, in a ground where they never seem to get a good result (barring 2005).

Cork and Pats, with home advantage have got to be shoe-ins for the 3 poimts but I reckon Finn Harps will be full of energy and want to start aftesh and therefore Bohs will only get a draw in Balybofey.

Shamrock Rovers and Galway is anyone's guess, while Sligo will win 2-0...

Thoughts?

dancinpants
17/06/2008, 12:53 AM
. I reckon losing 3-2 at home after being 3-2 up

It was a trick the likes of which has never been seen before.

As for you waiting to rectify it, well Liffey Pearse were there for the taking and we just about took them and no more. Doesn't look good for the Drogs match, I'll take a draw now if offered.

thischarmingman
17/06/2008, 1:04 AM

As for you waiting to rectify it, well Liffey Pearse were there for the taking and we just about took them and no more. Doesn't look good for the Drogs match, I'll take a draw now if offered.

Have you got PM's disabled?

Neish
17/06/2008, 9:26 AM
...so here's this week's fixtures earlier than usual:

Cork v Cobh
Drogs v Derry
Pats v Bray
Harps v Bohs
Shams v Galway
Sligo v UCD (Sat)

It's interesting to speculate how much of an effect the break will have had. I reckon losing 3-2 at home after being 3-2 up and then having to wait 3 weeks to rectify it would make Derry dangerous opposition but they're away against the champions, in a ground where they never seem to get a good result (barring 2005).

Cork and Pats, with home advantage have got to be shoe-ins for the 3 poimts but I reckon Finn Harps will be full of energy and want to start aftesh and therefore Bohs will only get a draw in Balybofey.

Shamrock Rovers and Galway is anyone's guess, while Sligo will win 2-0...

Thoughts?

The Harps Vs Bohs has been moved to Tuesaday 24th June due to it clashing with the Bohs vs Rhyl (Intertoto Cup game) on Saturday 21st

WoodquayBoy
17/06/2008, 9:50 AM
Is it a surprise, or does it just make sense, to have a Cork official officiating at the Cork derby - Alan Kelly will be blowing for the CorkvCobh game

Sheridan
17/06/2008, 10:07 AM
Less travelling for all involved, no language barrier, makes perfect sense.

Maynard
17/06/2008, 10:26 AM
Does he speak fluent Wesht Cark as well? Jaysus, fair play to the chap.

ndrog
17/06/2008, 10:35 AM

Bit of a feel good factor back at the club at the min due to the good news re the stadium , so hopefully some the stuff that was going on behind the scenes is sorted and we can gat back to winning ways .TBH no one knows which Drogs team is gonna show .Hope its the commited interested one , if not were in trouble .

Sniffer
17/06/2008, 10:53 AM
Can't wiat for the game against cobh. We shoud win but that hardly means we will. I expect shams, rovers, drogs, pats and bohs to win the other matches. What game is being televised?

No televised eL game this week AFAIK, but MNS should be back.

Mr A
17/06/2008, 10:54 AM

If we play like we did against Athlone, Bohs might well hit double figures.

Hibs4Ever
17/06/2008, 10:57 AM
DOn't suppose the Bohs v Rhyl game will be televised?

Réiteoir
17/06/2008, 11:16 AM
DOn't suppose the Bohs v Rhyl game will be televised?

Doubt it tbh - it'd break the habit of a lifetime if RTÉ or another TV company decided to televise this one.

Plus - the Intertoto game kicks off at 7pm - Euro 2008 Quarter Final kicks off at 7:45pm

Go figure...

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 12:49 PM
On the homepage, this is coming up as "Dear God, it's been boring her..." :p

Dodge
19/06/2008, 1:46 PM
Doubt it tbh - it'd break the habit of a lifetime if RTÉ or another TV company decided to televise this one

Doubt any TV station in Europe does live Intertoto games

And right they are too

GavinZac
19/06/2008, 1:52 PM
Doubt any TV station in Europe does live Intertoto games

And right they are too

Our game against NEC was televised. Not sure about the others.

TheBoss
19/06/2008, 3:00 PM
Just some stats for the Bohs v Rhyl Game:.

This will be the 400th European game and the 45th Intertoto game involving an League of Ireland Team.

Bohemians Overall Intertoto Cup Record: Pld: 6, W: 1, D:0, L:5, F: 4, A: 15
Bohemians Home Intertoto Cup Record: Pld: 3, W: 1, D:0, L:2, F: 1, A: 4

League of Ireland v Wales - Overall: Pld: 8, W: 2, D:2, L:4, F: 8, A: 16
League of Ireland v Wales - Home: Pld: 4, W: 2, D:2, L:0, F: 5, A: 2
League of Ireland v Wales - Intertoto: Never

HarpoJoyce
19/06/2008, 3:29 PM
Just some stats for the Bohs v Rhyl Game:.

This will be the 400th European game and the 45th Intertoto game involving an League of Ireland Team.

Bohemians Overall Intertoto Cup Record: Pld: 6, W: 1, D:0, L:5, F: 4, A: 15
Bohemians Home Intertoto Cup Record: Pld: 3, W: 1, D:0, L:2, F: 1, A: 4

League of Ireland v Wales - Overall: Pld: 8, W: 2, D:2, L:4, F: 8, A: 16
League of Ireland v Wales - Home: Pld: 4, W: 2, D:2, L:0, F: 5, A: 2
League of Ireland v Wales - Intertoto: Never

The LoI away record against Welsh (incl English league) teams is consistently poor. It should be a reminder in case non-Bohs fans get in a tissy if the result over there goes against them.

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 4:32 PM
The LoI away record against Welsh (incl English league) teams
That's a very important factor though.

Carmarthen should be enough to see Bohs through, I think.

HarpoJoyce
19/06/2008, 5:11 PM
That's a very important factor though.

Carmarthen should be enough to see Bohs through, I think.

I don't understand, it's the same poor record. Wales v. Rep. of Irl. Wales consistently come out on top.

GavinZac
19/06/2008, 5:17 PM
I don't understand, it's the same poor record. Wales v. Rep. of Irl. Wales consistently come out on top.

Swansea or Wrexham are a different kettle of fish to TNS or Carmentham. Those limited result sets also include the bizarre Longford v Carmentham farce which skews it quite a bit. Bohs are now our league leaders whereas Longford were relegation fodder at the time

HarpoJoyce
19/06/2008, 5:42 PM
Swansea or Wrexham are a different kettle of fish to TNS or Carmentham(sic). Those limited result sets also include the bizarre Longford v Carmentham (siccer) farce which skews it quite a bit. Bohs are now our league leaders whereas Longford were relegation fodder at the time

All LoI teams in Europe perform poorly at on time or another. (concede heavily, lose when they shouldn't, draw when they shouldn't..happens)

This is my problem when LoI clubs are in Europe, non-club fans stick their oar (kettle of fish ref.) in. I want you to remember you have listed a number of Welsh clubs and have not mentioned your own, Barry Town/Cork City FC tie. Are you forgetful or do you know your own history?

You describe other club preformances as a "farce" but your own club performed just as poorly. (The Blessed Co-Efficient)

The Wales v. Rep. of Irl leg at club level is consistently poor.

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 5:44 PM
But this isn't Wales v Ireland. It's the League of Wales v the League of Ireland. Different thing.

Cork never played Barry Town. They beat Caersws on away goals.

pete
19/06/2008, 5:47 PM
We played Cwambran in the CL qualifiers years ago & scrapped through 4-4 on agg after being 0-3 down away from home.

I would expect Bohs to win in a canter. Aside from Longford debacle LOI has not played welsh teams since start of summer football.

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 5:48 PM
Cwmbran, my mistake.

Shouldn't be forgotten just how comfortable Longford were aainst Carmarthen for the first game and a half.

HarpoJoyce
19/06/2008, 5:55 PM
There is a little bit of trying to set Bohs up for a fall here. If they through at a trot or walk they can be critised. If they don't go through at all, well good luck, years of fun in store for non-Bohs fans.

I don't buy it, especially the insistance to ignore previous results bar one. A poor performance from some non-Bohs fans here lately tsk,tsk.

GavinZac
19/06/2008, 6:14 PM
I want you to remember you have listed a number of Welsh clubs and have not mentioned your own, Barry Town/Cork City FC tie. Are you forgetful or do you know your own history?Er, I think you made that one up to be honest. When was it?

You describe other club preformances as a "farce" but your own club performed just as poorly. (The Blessed Co-Efficient)We beat Cwmbran in our only ever meeting with a Welsh side (unless you can tell me when that Barry game happened), and that was 15 years ago when both teams were pub sides and is therefore relatively... irrelevant.

HarpoJoyce
19/06/2008, 6:43 PM
Er, I think you made that one up to be honest. When was it?

Apologies GavinZac, pete corrected both the memories of the UCD fans who discussed it before. Although he was happy to get a dig at Longford in the process.

My continued point Wales v. Rep. of Irl at club level is poor for the Irish. This is a major difficulty for some LoI fans including yourself.

and that was 15 years ago when both teams were pub sides and is therefore relatively... irrelevant[/B].

Your football team lost in Wales, to a League of Wales team.
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/history/season=1993/round=52/index.html
This did not fit your argument, you ignored it and trashed your own side later for good measure.

Football happened before you were born. I'm sorry, but you trash history 'cos it doesn't fit your immediate point of view. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Longfordian
19/06/2008, 6:43 PM
Cwmbran, my mistake.

Shouldn't be forgotten just how comfortable Longford were aainst Carmarthen for the first game and a half.

Still don't know what happened in that second half. Strange goings on.Though I don't want to think about it now either.

GavinZac
19/06/2008, 7:00 PM
Your football team lost in Wales, to a League of Wales team.
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/history/season=1993/round=52/index.html
This did not fit your argument, you ignored it and trashed your own side later for good measure.

Football happened before you were born. I'm sorry, but you trash history 'cos it doesn't fit your immediate point of view. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Er, the team that beat Cwmbran would've been pretty much the same team that was around when I started following Cork City two years later. I'm not "trashing" them, they're all legends in my eyes (I both helped to organise a 'legends v celebrities' game for them last year, and togged out in the same!); in fact some of the younger ones, Billy or Biscuits or Colin O'Brien, are still around, but will readily admit (and have done) that things are completely different. You had lads eating burgers in the dressing rooms and smoking in the dugouts. I will not be ashamed of realising that the eircom league is an entirely different entity these days.

GavinZac
19/06/2008, 7:20 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself.
The more I read this, the more it annoys me. How dare you tell me I should be ashamed of my opinions? On something as, ultimately, trivial as football? Just moments after chastising me about not knowing some history that happened in your head? Bravo sir - somehow, given my distaste for UCD in general, you are the first UCD fan on my ever expanding ignore list.

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 7:43 PM
Back on topic...

Fingal 0-1 Kildare

BohsPartisan
19/06/2008, 8:43 PM
The LoI away record against Welsh (incl English league) teams is consistently poor. It should be a reminder in case non-Bohs fans get in a tissy if the result over there goes against them.

They've lost some key players and their manager since the end of their season though. If Nutsy puts out our strongest side we should do it.

pineapple stu
19/06/2008, 8:44 PM
2-1 Kildare now. Nearly full time.

Martinho II
19/06/2008, 8:56 PM
Swansea or Wrexham are a different kettle of fish to TNS or Carmentham. Those limited result sets also include the bizarre Longford v Carmentham farce which skews it quite a bit. Bohs are now our league leaders whereas Longford were relegation fodder at the time

sorry gavinzac i know its in the past now but at the time we were fourth in the table when carmarthen hammered us.. that was the start of our decline and financial troubles...:o

GavinZac
19/06/2008, 9:45 PM
sorry gavinzac i know its in the past now but at the time we were fourth in the table when carmarthen hammered us.. that was the start of our decline and financial troubles...:o
Must've been the year after so. Still, a deceptive sort of position, like that of Bray now.

Longfordian
20/06/2008, 1:50 AM
Not to be raking up the past but we finished fourth in 2004 and won both cups, I think we finished fifth or sixth in 2005. That was about our level at the time. It wasn't particularly deceptive. We were a midtable team.

osarusan
20/06/2008, 2:25 AM
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Wow. Somebody who sits on a higher horse than Gavin. There can't be too many out there.

GavinZac
21/06/2008, 8:47 PM
Wow. Somebody who sits on a higher horse than Gavin. There can't be too many out there.

Perhaps not higher, but certainly to my left. As in, I was right? :D

Seagull-4-life
22/06/2008, 3:17 PM
Must've been the year after so. Still, a deceptive sort of position, like that of Bray now.

Well I never

A face
22/06/2008, 8:46 PM
Well I never

What, you've never been deceived? :p