PDA

View Full Version : Morag - Brian de Salvo

A face
16/06/2008, 8:52 PM
Morag - Brian de Salvo

The eircom League has taken a week off to give Euro 2008 a chance. So I switch on. Polish keeper Artur Boruc, waiting in the tunnel for the big kick off, is demoted from “one of the world’s top five goalkeepers” on one tv channel to “one of the world’s best ten” on another. And that’s before he even makes it on to the pitch. Germany beat Poland two-nil, with both German goals scored by a player born in Poland. Poland’s best player is a Brazilian. And you thought Irish soccer was crazy.

Amidst a host of banners exalting “Polska!” one cries out for “Morag!” An international love story thwarted by the global economic downturn? Which prompts the thought, when there were so many Poles working for eircom how come there wasn’t one playing in the eircom League? But I digress. Before Arthur Boruc can further decimate his earning potential with a misplaced goal kick, here are a few personal nuggets from the Pole-less eircom season to date.

Read more at www.eircomloi.ie (http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/columnists/brian-de-salvo/column-15/index.xml)

cheifo
17/06/2008, 12:53 AM
Brian De Salvo is a breath of fresh air for the EL.
He has that quality all good writers have,the ability to make the seemingly mundane, sound interesting.

oldyouth
17/06/2008, 7:44 AM
He did a good interview with Mick Wallace about the Youths. Copy below from our website
http://www.wexfordyouthsfcsc.com/briandesalvo.htm

Straightstory
17/06/2008, 9:50 AM
Brian De Salvo is a gem. The most articulate commentator on the league by a mile. And his fondness for the game in this country always shines through.

irishultra
17/06/2008, 2:28 PM
Here yeah, how is there no Polish players in EL?

Seagull
17/06/2008, 2:46 PM
Poles working for eircom :rolleyes::D

hoops1
17/06/2008, 10:44 PM
Have to say I think hes a tool. He had an earlier article very uncomplimentary to Peter Hutton he obviously doesnt know what hes talking about

Straightstory
18/06/2008, 10:26 AM
Have to say I think hes a tool. He had an earlier article very uncomplimentary to Peter Hutton he obviously doesnt know what hes talking about

There's always somebody unhappy... But De Salvo's a touch of class in a sea of brainless hacks.

Nesta99
19/06/2008, 12:30 PM
...and it is nearly always a Rovers fan!!! Maybe when Tallaght opens they will cheer up a bit

:p await the torrents of abuse

cheifo
23/06/2008, 9:46 AM
I feel Brian is deserving of cult status.I have emailed mns@rte.ie requesting that they give him a slot on the show.C'mon lads get mailing and get him on there.:)

Blue-Army
23/06/2008, 7:45 PM
Here yeah, how is there no Polish players in EL?there was a pole who played for Waterford a few years ago...Lambreski (sp)......He was terrible!

pineapple stu
23/06/2008, 8:25 PM
There was a Pole for Kilkenny last year; he was sent off by a Polish ref (served an eight-match ban for spitting)

Battery Rover
23/06/2008, 9:08 PM
We have a Polish keeper training with us. He used to pay in the Polish league before he moved here. He now works locally and will be signing for us in the next few weeks if all goes to plan.

Rovers fan
23/06/2008, 9:46 PM
We had a polish midfielder,piotr badjiak.He seemed pretty good,looked brilliant when he came on as a sub against longford but then he got a bad injury and was released.

Mr Maroon
23/06/2008, 10:26 PM
We had Tomasz Gruszka. He was backup to Alan Gough a couple of seasons ago. There was also Marcin Siszmanski (spelling?) a left back/centre half. I can't remember him playing much. I last saw him playing for Salthill Devon a while ago.

stann
24/06/2008, 7:14 AM
there was a pole who played for Waterford a few years ago...Lambreski (sp)......He was terrible!

There was a Pole for Kilkenny last year; he was sent off by a Polish ref (served an eight-match ban for spitting)

We had two Polish players in Mike Kerley's side in 2006. Kristian Lamberski and Andy Polewczak.
Lamberski wasn't that bad, certainly in that team, played in middle of midfield (or defence) and scored against Bohs and Bray off the top of me head, both in 3-1 defeats though. I remember he was the only one that came over to acknowledge the fans after the defeat at the Showgrounds that year, though a couple of the other lads did follow him eventually, maybe the memory is more favourably disposed towards him because of it.
Polewczak was a winger and never played as well for us as I think he could have done. As far as I know it was he went to Kilkenny after being released and got the huge ban the next year.