PDA

View Full Version : Who's this journo?

Straightstory
16/06/2008, 9:53 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/conmurphy/

Anybody know who this writer having a go at MNS is? - mentioned here by Con Murphy.

GuisaSaigon
16/06/2008, 10:09 AM
Dont know but the guy on Newstalk that thinks he's hilarious ( name escapes me) was on about Con Murphy's article on Friday. Just his usual crap attempt at being a comedian.

Macy
16/06/2008, 10:11 AM
Dont know but the guy on Newstalk that thinks he's hilarious ( name escapes me) was on about Con Murphy's article on Friday. Just his usual crap attempt at being a comedian.
Narrow's it down to the whole off the ball team then...

pete
16/06/2008, 10:19 AM

Ken something i think his name is?

Was curious what kind of ratings MNS was getting & 86k isn't too bad as some Euro 2008 games getting 130-140k.

Rocky77
16/06/2008, 10:19 AM
Those Off the Ball monkeys really get on my tits. That show is so overrated, they just react to stuff by using other people's pundits, sneer at the likes of con or writers from local papers but yet never set any agendas of their own.

God help anyone who texts or emails in with a complaint cos they get so defenive. Student radio at its worst.

Macy
16/06/2008, 10:29 AM
Those Off the Ball monkeys really get on my tits. That show is so overrated, they just react to stuff by using other people's pundits, sneer at the likes of con or writers from local papers but yet never set any agendas of their own.
I prefer them using pundits than them making themselves out to be the fountain of all knowledge. They've a big anti league of ireland agenda though - you'd wonder how it would've gone if they hadn't had the rights taken off them by the FAI/RTE a few years ago when they used to cover a friday night game. Mind you I think that was before the current tools time though.

D.U.F.C Daire
16/06/2008, 10:37 AM
It was the little 'blurb' in the TV listings of the Sunday Times.

CJTheGull
16/06/2008, 10:47 AM
In all fairness that 'Off The Ball' programme is woeful - I am often on the road come Sunday evening and find myself listening to it for a few minutes and it's so bad I'm cringing in the car. Crap like mentioning the score of a game 'It's 0-0 between West Ham and Newcastle'. Then 45 seconds later "It's still 0-0 between West Ham and Newcastle just to let you know folks" and then they get these tools phoning in and spouting on about how Benitez has to go as the clatter of glasses falls to the ground as they knock back their 15 pint of Budweiser of the evening down the local.

As a sports fan who attends all manner of games (soccer, hurling etc) that show is about as relevant as Big Brother and seriously I would rather listen to nails being scraped down a blackboard.

Rubbish who have no right to critise anyone. :p

Macy
16/06/2008, 10:49 AM
I am often on the road come Sunday evening and find myself listening to it for a few minutes and it's so bad I'm cringing in the car.
Off the Ball is only on weeknights.

Dodge
16/06/2008, 11:18 AM
Mind you I think that was before the current tools time though.
Think Ken Early always there and he's always been awful. Even on his specialsit subjest (premiership) he hasn't a fecking clue. Eoin McDevitt just out and out hates the league. Constantly making sniping comments. Again he knows **** all about sport. When Ger Gilroy presented it he'd admit to now knwoing a lot about the league but he still treated it with a bit of respect.

Haven't listened to it in months myself. Couldn't bear it

Sheridan
16/06/2008, 11:30 AM
Off The Ball, and Newstalk's sport coverage generally, is an abomination. It's like listening to two students at the back of the bus swapping their expertise. The worst thing is that it's absolutely representative of the sports journalism community and footballing "supporting" community in Ireland.

GuisaSaigon
16/06/2008, 11:46 AM
The weekend show (extra time?) is even worse. Don't remember the presenter's name, but his catchphrase is "Stay Classy!" :(
Absolute tripe, Paudie the Man U fan from Mullingar getting emotional about comments made by Anto the Liverpool fan from Finglas. Mick from Donegal calls in to ridicule Paudie and Anto for supporting British teams when they should concentrate on a good Irish team like Glasgow Celtic.:o

thischarmingman
16/06/2008, 12:01 PM
but his catchphrase is "Stay Classy!"

Sorry off topic, but this reminded me of this (any excuse to quote Family Guy):

Olivia: You are the weakest link, goodbye. (laughter)

Stewie: Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!

BohDiddley
16/06/2008, 12:47 PM
Con is not happy with the word 'demoted'. But it was demoted, not just behind Euro 2008, but also behind CSI.

ofjames
16/06/2008, 12:57 PM
as far as i'm concerned, off the ball is the best sports show on irish tv or radio. they devote about a half an hour to an eircom league discussion slot every week and have live reports most of the midweek games so i dont know what u guys are complaining about.

most of you guys would only be happy if they spent the full hour of the football show every night on eircom league discussion. fact is, if they did that, they would lose the majority of their listeners who have little or no interest in irish domestic soccer.

Just because they dont salivate over eircom league football doesnt mean its a crap show.

Although i will admit that O'Sullivan guy (i think) with the thick kerry accent is unbearable on the weekend sports show.

Dodge
16/06/2008, 1:08 PM
they devote about a half an hour to an eircom league discussion slot every week and have live reports most of the midweek games so i dont know what u guys are complaining about.
Answered yourself there for most BUT

Just because they dont salivate over eircom league football doesnt mean its a crap show

As ****ing usual the non LOI fans think that LOI fans are only interested in our league. Most of us are interested in all football, and pretty much all of us know more than the ****ing awful newstalk team. Hunter embarresses them time and time again with his spanish/european pieces.

CJTheGull
16/06/2008, 1:19 PM

Apologies if I got the name wrong - it's the Sunday evening sports show whatever it's called (Extra Time is it with Oisin Langan???) - anyway the comment comparing them to two students rambling on radomly down the back of the bus is spot on.

Tabloid radio journalism! The Herald for your ears hooray! :eek:

pete
16/06/2008, 1:22 PM
as far as i'm concerned, off the ball is the best sports show on irish tv or radio. they devote about a half an hour to an eircom league discussion slot every week and have live reports most of the midweek games so i dont know what u guys are complaining about.

The LOI slot is maximum 15 minutes per week. Why is the LOI not included in the "football show" at 9pm?

Macy
16/06/2008, 1:24 PM
asmost of you guys would only be happy if they spent the full hour of the football show every night on eircom league discussion.
I was happy enough with the full hour (well nearly) they used to give once a week. Now it's lucky if it's 10 minutes with Shoddy (which invariable is way off topic anyway talking crap about Livingstone or someother no mark brit team) and Daniel McD.

That gobdaw Early is clueless about all football, but a supposed Irish football reporter who hasn't a baldy about his own domestic league is ridiculous. He knows English football and that's about it. It's listenable because the producers at least have the foresight to get on decent correspondants that make it interesting, such as the excellent Hunter that Dodge mentions. Too often they let their own prejudices prevail - I mean they only ever have Kimmage and Walsh when talking about cycling so they can go on about drugs.

I do listen to it a bit - like most people there's nothing else on and it can be alright. Couldn't do a whole show even if I was driving though. Normally listen to the round up at 7, and see who they've planned. If I had access to satellite or was near enough the border to get decent reception I'd have 5live on though - then you'd hear the stories first hand at 7, rather than have to wait till 9 to hear them.

dcfcsteve
16/06/2008, 1:41 PM
As an aside - I agree totally with Con Murphy's comments re Jackman Park in his article.

I remember thinking it looked woeful when it was on MNS last week.