PDA

View Full Version : flower lodge

ian
17/08/2003, 12:15 PM
Lads I herd that the the GAA are thinking of giving back flower lodge back to the F.A.I If the F.A.I. will give them Bishopstown because they think it would be better for them if they could play out that way. They are finding it hard down in the lodge. I am only saying what I was told if its true that would be good for cork city we would have ur own ground that would be the job if it is true.

Éanna
17/08/2003, 1:57 PM
interesting

niamh
17/08/2003, 2:02 PM
Even if it would happen, there is no guarantee that the FAI would help City out. Am I right in thinking they don't leave City train out in Bishopstown??

ian
17/08/2003, 2:27 PM
Niamh that is true in what you are saying so we will just have to see if there is anything to come out of this one.

patsh
17/08/2003, 5:39 PM
Hard to believe that.
The county board have spent the guts of €1,000,000 on the lodge, and I can't see any economic sense in moving to Bishopstown. The amount of work they would need to do out there just to get a proper size pitch would take a year and a lot of money, never mind the lack of facilities.
It would be great to get the lodge back though but alas, dreams I'm afraid... :(

Counting Crow
17/08/2003, 6:33 PM
I think a move back to the Lodge would be bad for us at the moment.
We have a really good thing going now at The Cross. The ground is tight, intimidating, brilliant pitch ( the GAA Heads have made $**** of the old original pitch @ the Lodge ), and The Cross suits the size of crowds we are getting at the moment.

To move to the Lodge would be a step back.

We would loose our identity again, end up playing in a ground devoid of atmosphere - look at how poor the atmosphere is in the uncovered St Anne's end ( you need roofs overhead to create real noise )

Our current size crowds ( while far and away the biggest in the LoI ) would be lost in The Lodge and we'd look like $hell$, Rovers and the rest of the Dublin lot playing in half empty stadiums.

Finish the developments @ The Cross and stay.

tiktok
17/08/2003, 6:38 PM
while it'd be great to be in flower lodge from the point of view that it'd be a link to cork soccer from the pre-city era, i think our future is definitely at the cross. the club have put money into it and have further plans to improve it. and counting crow is right about simple things like the size of crowds that we get, the atmosphere that we generate.

also, there's no guarentee that the FAI would go for it, i can't see it being a straight swap, the GAA have put too much money into the lodge just to leave it go and have to start again in bishopstown. they'd have to look for compensation.

Pablo Escobar
17/08/2003, 6:59 PM
Could this have a link with the Cork Celtic thing I posted a couple of months back!
To refresh your memories, rumour has it that a new club called Cork Celtic will enter the EL!

TommyT
17/08/2003, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by Pablo Escobar
Could this have a link with the Cork Celtic thing I posted a couple of months back!
To refresh your memories, rumour has it that a new club called Cork Celtic will enter the EL!

OK I know I'm a scum jackeen ******* but surely Celtic would want to play at the Cross while the team in green and white would play at the Lodge ?

Pablo Escobar
17/08/2003, 7:26 PM
Originally posted by TommyT
OK I know I'm a scum jackeen ******* but surely Celtic would want to play at the Cross while the team in green and white would play at the Lodge ?
It might appear that way, but times have very much changed!

To be honest it makes a lot of sense!

I was thinking of a first 11 for Celtic:

GK-Sheamus O'Donnell
RB-?
CB-John Andrews
CB-?
LB-Gareth Cronin
RM-Dave Moore
CM-Kelvin Flanagan
CM-Mark Clifford
LM-Tony Tynan
ST-Sean Francis
ST-Stephen O'Flynn

All pretty much local and retrievable!
And capable of holding their own in the Premier Div.

dulpit
17/08/2003, 8:16 PM
Originally posted by ian
Lads I herd that the the GAA are thinking of giving back flower lodge back to the F.A.I If the F.A.I. will give them Bishopstown because they think it would be better for them if they could play out that way. They are finding it hard down in the lodge. I am only saying what I was told if its true that would be good for cork city we would have ur own ground that would be the job if it is true.

Ok I know I'm jumping into this discussion a bit late (plus i'm kinda ignoring the above) but there isn't a hope in hell that the GAA:D would ever get rid of Páirc Uí Rinn. They spent so much on it with the floodlights and the stands. Its very conveniant for league matches and stuff so sorry. Plus its call Páirc Uí Rinn after one of Cork's greatest sons..... it hasn't being Flower Lodge for a long long time....

tiktok
17/08/2003, 8:18 PM
Originally posted by ian
Lads I herd that the the GAA are thinking of giving back flower lodge back to the F.A.I If the F.A.I. will give them Bishopstown

Originally posted by Pablo Escobar

if, as Ian's post suggests it's the GAA that are making the running on this then it's unlikely that a force behind a second club in cork would be pulling the strings.

surely a Cork Celtic would be more likely to come about by the amalgamation of the stronger northside MSL clubs, and lead to separate northside/southside clubs. in any case, given that the highest crowds city are getting are 6,000, i don't think there's enough interest in the EL in cork to support a second team.

ccfc till i die
18/08/2003, 1:29 PM
Personally I would love to see a second Cork EL team, provided it didn't interfere with our crowds.

I reckon the northside could support it but my only worry would be that it might turn into a roversesque club with a hooligan problem.

patsh
18/08/2003, 2:37 PM
What's all this bullsh*t about a new club could be a "Northside" club?
Is there an inference that City is a "southside" club?
City are neither North nor south side, they are ALL Cork.
All ye scummy southsiders should remember when there was a southside club in Cork, called Celtic, and they were fcuking useless !!!!;) :D

WeAreRovers
18/08/2003, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Even if it would happen, there is no guarantee that the FAI would help City out. Am I right in thinking they don't leave City train out in Bishopstown??

You could ask your good friend and hero Kilcoyne to help you out. He still has his FAI blazer and he's got a great track record when it come to LOI grounds.

KOH

James
18/08/2003, 2:50 PM
yeah yeah yeah WAR

Keep Off Heroin mate :D

patsh
18/08/2003, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by WeAreRovers
You could ask your good friend and hero Kilcoyne to help you out. He still has his FAI blazer and he's got a great track record when it come to LOI grounds.
Awww, the little junkie is upset.....;)
You never know, ye might actually win some games in the First divison....:D

NorthoftheLee
18/08/2003, 3:31 PM
Originally posted by CCFC till I die
Personally I would love to see a second Cork EL team, provided it didn't interfere with our crowds.

I reckon the northside could support it but my only worry would be that it might turn into a roversesque club with a hooligan problem.

This is the second time today I've read this crap about the Northside having "their own" team. There are lots of City fans like myself who hail from the Northside of the City and City is our Team. It aint called Cork Southside of the City?? As Patsh pointed out, the club is for all of Cork, not just the southside, not even just the city, but for all in Cork County (Queenstown omitted obv.)

And what do you mean "it might turn into a roversesque club with a hooligan element" Is this implying that us Norries are all scum ??? You have some fucin nerve there boy. Im not gonna go any further....it doesnt deserve my time........

b_mcsweeney
18/08/2003, 4:26 PM
i think its pretty clear that city draw support from both sides of the river and, i would suggest, a fair deal of fans from outside the city walls too (myself included). any suggestion of city as a southside team is pretty ridiculous.

of course, that would change if there was a second club (playing on the northside). while the concept of a second cork team is appealing for various reasons, i just don't think LoI football is strong enough to support it right now. as a previous post said, a second team would definitely hit city attendances, and i think its much better to have one club getting 4000+ crowds than two getting 1500-2000. and we always have queenstown anyway like, if you're a malcontent!

tiktok
18/08/2003, 6:47 PM
it appears to have been me who inadvertantly started the northside thing, i wasn't implying that city are better supported in the southside or that City is anything other than a city wide club.

it's just that when this second team in cork idea was being bandied about, people assumed that rockmount and well organised clubs close to them would be the obvious starting point for a new club as they already have facilities and pockets of support and a player base in place.

A face
18/08/2003, 9:54 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
i wasn't implying that city are better supported in the southside or that City is anything other than a city wide club.

Oh great timing Tick Tock ..... What are you trying to imply like. dSo you now know where all City fans come from is it ?? Wonderful ... bleedin' Wonderful ... :rolleyes:

:)

pete
19/08/2003, 1:13 PM
This 2nd Cork club thing seems to surface every few years for whatever reason but personally i cannot see any purpose to it. If theres people out there with funds to invest i'm sure Brian Lennox would be accomadating. The eL ain't big enough for 2 Cork clubs.

Whatever about the financial issue with moved back to the Lodge has a certain appeal to me. The cross is great but is fairly limited for developing especially the Derrynane side which is too narrow. On the other hand the Lodge would be a great option for a 12000+ all-seater stadium & even space to develop off field facilities.

James
19/08/2003, 1:17 PM
Originally posted by pete
On the other hand the Lodge would be a great option for a 12000+ all-seater stadium & even space to develop off field facilities.

BUT isnt Pairc Ui Rinn OWNED BY THE GAA !!!!!!!!
:confused:

patsh
19/08/2003, 2:10 PM
Even if this idea was being considered, the size of a GAA pitch is the major stumbling block. The flat, pitch area out in Bishopstown is too small for what the GAA need, so they would have to extend the playing area on the opposite side to the stand. This would be a major undertaking not even considering the the other development work which would need to be done.
A total non-runner, I'd say, even though I agree completely with what Pete said, about the space to get a bar and function room up and running in the Lodge/Ui Rinn.
Sure we could even use the muck f*ckers ground next door for training!

ccfcman
19/08/2003, 5:33 PM
completely untrue why woul the grab all association do that after pummeling money into the ground?

Pablo Escobar
20/08/2003, 11:27 AM
Here's my theory to why the GAA switch may be true:

Pairc Uí Rinn is close to Pairc Uí Caoimh!
Ballinlough is not a huge GAA area, where as Bishopstown is!
There is more space in Bishopstown behind the stand!

However, I can't see it being true!

pete
20/08/2003, 4:57 PM
Originally posted by ccfcman
completely untrue why woul the grab all association do that after pummeling money into the ground?

Have the GAA really put that much into Flower Lodge? (will always be Flower Lodge no matter what they change the name to).

Is there any greater facilities at the Lodge now than Bishopstown has?

tiktok
20/08/2003, 5:10 PM
Have the GAA really put that much into Flower Lodge?

to be fair i think they've done a lot of imporovments to the lodge, and if this deal was to go through i'd imagine they would be looking for money. there is great development potential in Bishopstown, but if the GAA wanted to take it on they'd need to put a lot of money into it too, i think on the whole it sounds like too costly a deal for the GAA.

patsh
20/08/2003, 5:41 PM
Have the GAA really put that much into Flower Lodge? (will always be Flower Lodge no matter what they change the name to).

Is there any greater facilities at the Lodge now than Bishopstown has?
Yes they have.
Floodlights, proper covered seating on two sides of the grounds, properly concreted and barriered terracing at both ends. Full size GAA pitch, offices, shops. Is within walking distance of the city centre.

Bishopstown has a soccer pitch and a very rundown stand. 2 sides of the ground are covered with overgrown uneven mounds of earth, 1 end has another soccer pitch. No facilites of any kind. Miles from the city centre.

There is no comparison between the two, the Lodge is the "Imperial" to Bishopstown's "Simon hostel" !:D

I personally would love to see City return to the Lodge, but there is no obvious attraction for the GAA for Bishopstown.