PDA

View Full Version : applaud rangers players.

Pages : [1] 2

Éanna
16/08/2003, 12:22 PM
how about a round of applause every time the rangers playes touch the ball on tuesday and drown out the muppets.

you can shove your scottish football up your arse

Dominion
16/08/2003, 1:27 PM
Craig Moore is ruled out while muscat isnt 1st team so i dont think there will be a chance

Slash/ED
16/08/2003, 5:42 PM
Fair enough if you're against the booing but why you'd want to applaud any opponent is beyond me, Lansedown should be as intimidating as possible.

Éanna
17/08/2003, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Fair enough if you're against the booing but why you'd want to applaud any opponent is beyond me, Lansedown should be as intimidating as possible.
two reasons:
1. its only a friendly.
2. to make a point

brine2
17/08/2003, 4:05 PM
Strange that somebody who calls Roy Keane a "thug" is now encouraging us to applaud Kevin Muscat, the thug of all thugs. Irony in the extreme!

How about instead of either booing or applauding, we just pray that he doesn't injure any of our players.

A face
17/08/2003, 11:22 PM
i totally agree with it ..... try and shut those Sell-Thick múppets up, they are high-jacking our National games .... why dont they go and support Scotland. :rolleyes:

tiktok
18/08/2003, 6:24 PM
Kevin Muscat is a thug, and if he throws in a dirty tackle then boo him, if he moans to the ref after getting carded then boo him. If he gives the fan the finger then boo him. I'll join in with you....

but booing him just because of a connection with rangers is just sad and pathethic.

Slash/ED
18/08/2003, 6:32 PM
Yeah if Muscat puts in one of his vintage tackles I'd boo him, it was him who sparked a huge club V country row before when he creased some French striker in a friendly between the sides a while ago, he's a disgrace.

NigeSausagepump
19/08/2003, 7:26 AM
Yeah if Muscat puts in one of his vintage tackles I'd boo him, it was him who sparked a huge club V country row before when he creased some French striker in a friendly between the sides a while ago, he's a disgrace.

An Aussie mate of mine used to play with him in school and claims that he has a very highly developed sense of his own self-worth, or as my mate put it "he's a cocky little mongrel".

Bluebeard
19/08/2003, 1:50 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Kevin Muscat is a thug, and if he throws in a dirty tackle then boo him, if he moans to the ref after getting carded then boo him. If he gives the fan the finger then boo him. I'll join in with you....

but booing him just because of a connection with rangers is just sad and pathethic.

Bang on the mark Tiktok - that is exactly what the case should be tonight. Same with Kewell, Viduka, Pemberton et al. Boo them if they deserve it, not because of who pays their wages.

Éanna
20/08/2003, 7:54 PM
Originally posted by brine2
Strange that somebody who calls Roy Keane a "thug" is now encouraging us to applaud Kevin Muscat, the thug of all thugs. Irony in the extreme!

not really. I'm well aware of muscats behaviour, but at least he's actually willing to play for his country unlike that other scumbag you seem so totally obsessed with- do you ever post anything that doesn't have his name in it? I booed okon last night after he tried to maim ireland players, I didn't boo vidmar- you get the point yet? :rolleyes:

tiktok
21/08/2003, 3:12 AM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
And UEFA are supposed to distinguish booing for a bad tackle but not because he may have a Rangers connection....:D:D:D

i think if we can distinguish between them, the Uefa representative probably would be able to too.
the last time Uefa took a look it was because an irish fan registered a complaint, the same fan would be unlikely to register a complaint because of booing due to a bad tackle. use your head man :rolleyes:

clarkeyboy
28/08/2003, 10:38 PM
Celtic Football Club is delighted to announce that UEFA has honoured the Club’s supporters with the presentation of the 2003 UEFA “Fair Play Award”.

UEFA has paid tribute to Celtic supporters following their fantastic performance throughout the Club’s UEFA Cup run last season, culminating in the UEFA Cup Final when around 80,000 supporters travelled to Seville to back the team.

UEFA has expressed its admiration for the Celtic support, the way in which supporters created such a magnificent ‘fiesta’ in Seville and for the sportsmanship which they demonstrated at the Final.

The Fair Play Award is presented this evening (28th August 2003) in Monte Carlo at the annual UEFA Football Gala.
:D :ball: :p

Éanna
02/09/2003, 10:25 PM
thats cos there were no rangers players to boo in the UEFA cup :rolleyes: :) Anyone with cop on will agree that the Celtic fans who follow their team across europe are a sight to behold- the colour noise and passion are amazing, unfortunately its the idiots over here who think they support a team from another country, who embarass Ireland AND Glasgow Celtic

clarkeyboy
03/09/2003, 7:45 PM
please explain to me how you "think" you support a team? does that mean i might have convinced myself i support celtic but that in actual fact some higher authority has deemed it otherwise. if that is the case, i wonder who do i support? maybe eanna you are the higher entity who dictates where my true allegiance lies?? i hope after all these years i haven't secretly been a rangers supporter (or worse, a city fan! aaaaahhh):(

Lionel Hutz
03/09/2003, 9:18 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
unfortunately its the idiots over here who think they support a team from another country, who embarass Ireland AND Glasgow Celtic

There was around 15,000 Irish people in Seville and several thousand who go to Glasgow every week!
Never heard of anyone being embarrassed by them can you to tell me what ye mean by that?

BTW I hope those nasty league of Ireland fans stay away from the Ireland game against Russia as we dont want any leftovers from last night dublin derby spoiling the day!

tiktok
03/09/2003, 9:41 PM
to be fair, the Final in Seville was a credit to Celtic, the place was green and white as far as the eye could see, apparently outside the ground too. and the award for fair play was deserved on those terms, shame the result went the other way.
slightly off topic but, Porto have just gotten done with a huge fine for selling a portion of their allocation at inflated prices on the black market.

Originally posted by Lionel Hutz
There was around 15,000 Irish people in Seville and several thousand who go to Glasgow every week!

embarrassment mightn't have been the word to use, but i wish some of them would trot down the road and support their local clubs the odd weekend too.

Duncan Gardner
04/09/2003, 10:07 AM
I'd agree the Rangers players controversy is embarrassing the southern national team (I'm a NI fan btw).

The barracking is obviously sectarian, there's a lot of it, and that does Republic fans no credit. The team aren't playing Rangers, they have a neglgible fan base in the Republic. Why not just ignore them?

PS I supported Rangers as a kid until I realised how sectarian the Old Firm was...but no more!

clarkeyboy
04/09/2003, 10:53 AM
i don't actually believe the booing is sectarian, that would imply that they are being booed on the presumption of their protestant faith as was incorrectly stated by fran rooney. in fact it would not matter if the said player was catholic, jew or scientologist, there just exists a large amount of antipithy towards the club in these parts. i do not agree with the booing, i think is is quite juvenile and purely from a public relations standpoint it is counter productive. i believe an ironic cheer would have the same effect whilst also abating the baying anti celtic elements.

Duncan Gardner
04/09/2003, 11:07 AM
No, it's definitely sectarian. Which I would define here as anything advertising a bias based on nationalist/ unionist conflict in Northern Ireland. Not everything unionist or nationalist is sectarian.

So, a tricolor outside your house in Andytown isn't sectarian. Taking a union jack into the Cliftonville Road is, since clearly its purpose is to annoy the locals. Barracking Rangers players at Lansdowne is sectarian because it exploits an event (RoI v Australia?) that has nothing to do with Rangers.

Celtic and Rangers are sectarian because they exploit political conflict in NI for their own commercial ends. Not as much as they did, sure, but it's still there. Aye, I'll have an orange jersey while you sing IRA ditties. Charming :mad:

Peadar
04/09/2003, 11:31 AM
booing and death threats for Nreil Lennon

Being very much over the drink driving limit is more serious than being slightly over but that doesn't make either right or less illegal.

Duncan Gardner
04/09/2003, 11:39 AM
Hmmm. I think the booing and death threats for Nreil Lennon who played for your lot for some reason was slightly more serious than a few huns, who play for the opposition, getting booed during 90 minutes of football....:rolleyes:

The death threat was obviously much more serious, devastating for Lennon and his family, and something that will cause problems for NI fotball for years to come.

The booing of him? Unpleasant and sectarian, of course. Unique to Windsor? Sadly not, because as soon as one of your players signs for Rangers, he'll get barracked. It's obvious. And please, don't tell me no Republic international would ever sign for them,as some have. It's unrealistic and actually quite pious. Consider,

you haven't got many players good enough to sign for Bayern Munich. But going to Rangers guarantees them European football,quite likely in the CL
it's more than 15 years since Rangers stopped formally excluding Catholic players. For a footballer in his mid-20s, or more importantly his agent, that's ancient history
isn't it a little presumptious to assume Robbie Keane (or whoever) will be swayed by the media? For every article in the Irish rags slagging off the signing, there's be two in the Scottish and English lauding its bravery. And for all we know he might treat them all with the proverbial pinch

And you can't really respond to the charge of sectarianism with 'the North are worse'. Even if we are- which on the evidence of the last three or games I've seen I'd dispute- it's not much of an answer, is it?

Duncan Gardner
04/09/2003, 4:25 PM
No disrespect but you do half love to waffle.

None taken- though my 10 posts compared to your 350 suggest differently :)

As I said, threatening to kill someone is clearly worse than booing them at a football match. And you have a point that barracking your own players is usually worse than directing it at the other team. But, since the booing of Lennon was clearly caused by his signing for Celtic, and as I explained a RoI player joining Rangers is quite likely, there really isn't much mileage in your holier-than-thou attitude. In both cases, the booing is prompted by sectarianism. One isn't less bad than the other- they are equivalent.

BTW, I see you're a reader of the ok2boo site. I've written to it twice- saying more or less as above- but neither appeared on the comments page. I know it's nothing personal- hardly anything at all has appeared for a fortnight- but can you explain generally? Have the organisers reached some deal with Fran Rooney, lost interest or what?

nlgbbbblth
04/09/2003, 5:52 PM
correct me if I'm wrong

Lennon got one death threat I think
a telephone call -

what we do to the Rangers players and what happened to Lennon are as bad as each other

have to agree with Duncan - the old firm exploit the political/sectarian angle and
neither side is worthy of support

and
: a question

are we the only country that people wear FOREIGN club jersies to matches involving the national team.

Celtic shirts should be banned from Lansdowne.
anyone who wears one is a c u n t.

nlgbbbblth
04/09/2003, 5:54 PM
Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
Celtic shirts should be banned from Lansdowne.
anyone who wears one is a c u n t.

and you, Silvio Dante, are the biggest c u n t of all.

Slash/ED
04/09/2003, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
In both cases, the booing is prompted by sectarianism. One isn't less bad than the other- they are equivalent.

No, they're not. First of all, if you can't see the difference between booing the opposition and making them feel unwelcome and booing your own players and making them feel welcome you should just stop posting here really, I think it's more likely you're just ignoreing the obvious there.

Secondly, the booing of Rangers player isn't sectarian. Yes, it is wrong and I disagree with it, but releigion based it isn't. Those players play (Or used to play) for a club which the majority of the people in the crowd dislike and so they dislike those players, it is no different to the booing of Jaap Stam at the Holland match. The fact there is religion based haterid between both clubs is a well documented yet completley irrelevent fact when it comes to this. They're not booing the players because they're of any relgion or race, they're booing them because they don't like the club they play for, that's the start and end of it.

I've used the example of Stam being booed, I'd love for someone to explain to me the difference, I've had this discussion with a few people and as of yet nobody has been nice enough to do that for me.

Slash/ED
04/09/2003, 6:22 PM
what we do to the Rangers players and what happened to Lennon are as bad as each other

Yes, great point that man.

Booing your own players and forcing them to retire through threatening to kill them is just as bad as booing the opposition players, something which is as common as sand on a beach.

Use your head for christs sake, fair enough if you're against it, but that's an utter pile of rubbish to be completley fair to you.

tiktok
04/09/2003, 9:27 PM
Secondly, the booing of Rangers player isn't sectarian. Yes, it is wrong and I disagree with it, but releigion based it isn't. Those players play (Or used to play) for a club which the majority of the people in the crowd dislike and so they dislike those players, it is no different to the booing of Jaap Stam at the Holland match. The fact there is religion based haterid between both clubs is a well documented yet completley irrelevent fact when it comes to this. They're not booing the players because they're of any relgion or race, they're booing them because they don't like the club they play for, that's the start and end of it.

i'll accept that there a a large propartion of the celtic fans who share your view of what went on, but i've witnessed first hand guys in celtic shirts shouting 'orange b@st@rd' and 'hun'. IMO this casts it in a sectarian issue.

silvio has said before that Hun isn't neccessarily a racist/religious taunt, but to all intents and purposes Hun and Tim has it's roots in mid 20th century Glasgow where they were derogatory terms for protestant and catholic respectively, not exclusively used in football terraces.

'orange' has obvious sectarian implications.

i understand what you're saying in your post, i just think that as much as we can't tarnish all celtic fans with the sectarian brush, there are many who deserve the title. and rightly or wrongly, this is how the average guy on the street is going to view the booing.

A face
04/09/2003, 9:38 PM
and you, Silvio Dante, are the biggest c u n t of all.

you have got to hand it to the lad though, you are a complete cúnt Silvio

Uno Stronzo, mi amico :)

IrishSoccerJedi
04/09/2003, 10:28 PM
You won't catch this Celtic fan cheering on any one of the huns. However, I am also civilized enough to only boo the team thats trying to score on the Irish!

HAIL HAIL!

Duncan Gardner
05/09/2003, 8:40 AM
Silvio. Roy Keane may well be booed by Scousers if Ireland play England at Anfield. So what? Liverpool and Manchester United don't have a sectarian attitude to conflict in Northern Ireland. Celtic and Rangers do. You cannot equate the two.

I accept your two facts, of course (broadly that Celtic are popular in the RoI and Rangers aren't). But I draw different conclusions. Your mates may think they aren't sectarian, but I'm afraid they are, for the reasons I gave.

The word sectarianism originally referred purely to religion. But in NI it obviously has a wider meaning, because the conflict is basically about nationality. Religion, even if nominal, does identify most of those living there, but not all. The religion or nationality of Arveladze or Lovenkrands doesn't matter, of course: only their association with Rangers does.

Slash Ed. I've already explained my attitude to the booing of your own team vis a vis the opposition. It's on the previous page and I invite you to read it. Until then- until you respond to what others say, generally- please don't ask them to stop posting.

The difference re Jaap Stam is that neither he nor anyone he's played for is institutionally sectarian the way Celtic and Rangers are. It's very simple.

Greenbod
05/09/2003, 9:23 AM
Silvio. Roy Keane may well be booed by Scousers if Ireland play England at Anfield. So what? Liverpool and Manchester United don't have a sectarian attitude to conflict in Northern Ireland. Celtic and Rangers do. You cannot equate the two.

I accept your two facts, of course (broadly that Celtic are popular in the RoI and Rangers aren't). But I draw different conclusions. Your mates may think they aren't sectarian, but I'm afraid they are, for the reasons I gave.

The word sectarianism originally referred purely to religion. But in NI it obviously has a wider meaning, because the conflict is basically about nationality. Religion, even if nominal, does identify most of those living there, but not all. The religion or nationality of Arveladze or Lovenkrands doesn't matter, of course: only their association with Rangers does.

Slash Ed. I've already explained my attitude to the booing of your own team vis a vis the opposition. It's on the previous page and I invite you to read it. Until then- until you respond to what others say, generally- please don't ask them to stop posting.

The difference re Jaap Stam is that neither he nor anyone he's played for is institutionally sectarian the way Celtic and Rangers are. It's very simple.

Duncan, can you explain why you believe Celtic as a club is "institutionally" sectarian?

Duncan Gardner
05/09/2003, 10:03 AM
Celtic and Rangers are institutionally sectarian because they tolerate and reinforce sectarian attitudes held by their supporters. Every Old Firm game (and that's five or six most seasons) is a chance for the bigots on both sides to cheer on nationalist and unionist paramilitaries, to present themselves as a Glaswegian miniature version of the NI conflict, and, given the large travelling support from all over Ireland, to worsen it there also. Both clubs do essentially nothing to prevent any of this (ie by ejecting anyone openly boasting their membership of illegal organisations, or even asking fans not to sing party songs). The merchandising of both clubs furthers this both directly (Rangers' crass orange shirts) and a little more subtly (Celtic's deliberate efforts, in England/Ireland and America/Australia to market themselves as an 'Irish' club).

For me, they're as bad as one another. 20 years ago, Rangers were worse; but they dropped the bar on Catholic players. The problem is, neither club has really moved on in this respect since.

You might say the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs are as bad, at the individual match level. Well, no. Hearts and United have nothing to gain from any close link to the NI issue, so it's not a big deal there. Rangers and Celtic think they do, and so exploit it. A shame really, because both clubs have enough support and the potential to improve in UEFA competitions, to make this unnecessary.

Obviously I don't like either of them, and it goes beyond sectarianism. Both have been influential in weakening the Scottish League (constantly threatening to leave it, buying everyone else's best players to their reserve teams, insisting on white elephant facilities being built for them at other grounds). But for all that, I accept a large majority of Irish fans support one or the other. Perhaps in time those people can encourage them to move beyond the stereotype. Ignoring them at RoI and NI internationals would be a big help.

PS If I don't reply until tomorrow, it's simply because I expect a busy afternoon at work :)

Slash/ED
05/09/2003, 1:19 PM

Absolute rubbish, how is one booing worse then the other? You're basically putting words in the mouths of those who do it, it was done for exactly the same reasons, if Stam had of, instead of signing for Lazio decided to flush his career down the toilet and sign for Rangers, would the booing of him by the same people for the same reasons now become sectarian? Celtic and Rangers may have a relgious history but that doesn't make someone hating one of their players a religious thing. Are you really, seriously suggesting they booed those players based on their religion, when, as an example, Reyna is as catholic as Celtic claim to be? As I said, the fact that religion is involved between the two clubs bears absolutley no significance here whatsoever to the majority

However, those shouting orange *******s as someone stated above is different, there's always a few mindless idiots at every ground.

I'd also like to say I haven't and wont boo someone based on their clubs, as I don't agree with bringing club rivalrys into Lansedown and I'm not a Celtic fan but that's another issue, however if it puts the opposition off then it can only be a good thing.

But in NI it obviously has a wider meaning, because the conflict is basically about nationality. Religion, even if nominal, does identify most of those living there, but not all. The religion or nationality of Arveladze or Lovenkrands doesn't matter, of course: only their association with Rangers does."

But this isn't Northern Ireland. If the religion or nationality of the players doesn't come into the equation then it's not sectarian, simple as that. It's simply bringing club rivalrys into international matches, something I don't agree with but don't find particularly offencive or harmfull.

gspain
05/09/2003, 1:41 PM
I was at the Holland match and Stam was booed along with Kluivert and the others as part of rivalry. ie making an opposing sid efeel unwelcome. Figo was booed every time he touched the ball in the Portuguese match.

The booing and sectarian abuse of Rangers players is totally different and anyway should have nothing to do with us - who cares which British team is th ebest in Glasgow.

As for Celtic and Rangers being sectarian - you can make arguments that both are and are not but anyone trying to claim "The huns/tims are a bynch of bigots and we're non sectarian" just makes me laugh.

They certainly work very well together to maximise both clubs revenues - and play the green/orange card. The term "Old firm" was coined in 1904 to reflect this. Not much has changed.

I was in Celtic Park in 1991 for Packie's testimonial and there were only a handful of Irish fans at the game (either supporting us or the British club side). The band played Sean South and some other IRA song I'd never heard of.

Slash/ED
05/09/2003, 1:49 PM
Originally posted by gspain
I was at the Holland match and Stam was booed along with Kluivert and the others as part of rivalry. ie making an opposing sid efeel unwelcome. Figo was booed every time he touched the ball in the Portuguese match.

How is that different to booing opponents Rangers players? It's trying to upset them and put them off their game, and if memory serves not one has played well against us in recent times anyway.

If Stam, Figo, Kluivert and the others played for Rangers does that suddenly become sectarian abuse and not just trying to make them feel unwelcome? Because if either of those played for Rangers at the time, that's exactly what people would be claiming.

gustavo
05/09/2003, 2:14 PM
what annoys me about the booing is that those celtic fans see it as an extension of them being celtic supporters at lansdowne road that they are entitiled to boo the rangers players. they blur the lines of beinhg a celtic supporter and an ireland supporter

tiktok
05/09/2003, 4:03 PM
Conor and Silvio.....
you're like the two boys in the balcony on the muppet show. :D

the act is winding down, cut to the two boys, wisecracks and hilarity ensue. i think you should be given your own 'odd couple' show. do you sit at your computers waiting for the other to post so you can jump on them (btw: that's figuratively conor;) )????

Duncan Gardner
05/09/2003, 7:47 PM
The religion or nationality of Arveladze or Lovenkrands doesn't matter, of course: only their association with Rangers does

Are you really, seriously suggesting they booed those players based on their religion, when, as an example, Reyna is as catholic as Celtic claim to be?

The above should answer your question, Slash/Ed. Er,I'm suggesting that they booed them based purely on their current/ previous employer. If Liverpool/ ManU/other British/ European club sides, that's one thing. I'm not that bothered about it, though I can see that many RoI fans don't come to Lansdowne to hear banter about foreign club teams.

If it's about Celtic and Rangers, then that's different. Either, as you say, Northern Ireland's a faraway place apart and you want little to do with its problems; or it's the last phase of the struggle between Britain and Ireland, largely and deliberately encouraged by Rangers and Celtic. If you want the conflict kept at arms' length, your international matches are a good place to start...

Slash/ED
05/09/2003, 10:22 PM
The above should answer your question, Slash/Ed. Er,I'm suggesting that they booed them based purely on their current/ previous employer. If Liverpool/ ManU/other British/ European club sides, that's one thing. I'm not that bothered about it, though I can see that many RoI fans don't come to Lansdowne to hear banter about foreign club teams.

If it's about Celtic and Rangers, then that's different. Either, as you say, Northern Ireland's a faraway place apart and you want little to do with its problems; or it's the last phase of the struggle between Britain and Ireland, largely and deliberately encouraged by Rangers and Celtic. If you want the conflict kept at arms' length, your international matches are a good place to start...

I only read that bit after :)

How are booing Rangers and Celtic different just because of peoples attitude in a completley foreign country? Fair enough, you have issues with their policys, but I'm sorry, that's completley unrelated to what's going on at Lansedown. They're booing them as they don't like them because they play/played for another country, like I asked, if Stam signed for Rangers not Lazio would booing that suddenly be wrong? Would the mind set of the people doing it and the message they're conveying suddenly have become completley different?

I'm sorry, you're reading something into it that simply isn't there then getting worked up over it.

Éanna
05/09/2003, 11:19 PM

are we the only country that people wear FOREIGN club jersies to matches involving the national team.
Good point. You can't tell people what to wear, but its pathetic.

Éanna
05/09/2003, 11:22 PM
How is that different to booing opponents Rangers players? It's trying to upset them and put them off their game, and if memory serves not one has played well against us in recent times anyway.

The problem is not the booing, its the reason behined the booing, which although it may not be overtly and deliberatley sectarian, DOES have its roots based in sectarianism. My opinion on booing is that every single person in the landsdowne crowd should boo and whistle every time ANY opposition player touches the ball, and REALLY intimidate them- its this selective abuse based on some ridiculous allegiance to a foreign club that bugs me.

Éanna
05/09/2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by clarkeyboy
please explain to me how you "think" you support a team? does that mean i might have convinced myself i support celtic but that in actual fact some higher authority has deemed it otherwise. if that is the case, i wonder who do i support? maybe eanna you are the higher entity who dictates where my true allegiance lies?? i hope after all these years i haven't secretly been a rangers supporter (or worse, a city fan! aaaaahhh):(
Supporting a club is about having pride in where you come from, or where our family comes from or where you live. Its about a sense of affinity to a community and belonging to something. Deciding on a whim to support a club because 150 years ago some fella happened to be Irish (as with Celtic) or because they wonsomething last year (as with most Premiership fans) is pathetic and stupid, as are the people who do that. Eamon McCann said it perfectly in the Tribune a few years ago: "These people aren't football fans, they're fashion victims. Someday there will be support groups for them." :rolleyes:

*Note: I have no problem with fans who support their local team and then have an interest in other teams. As i have said countless times, I like both Celtic and Real Madrid. For me it comes down to what someone answers when they're sked who they support. Do they say Celtic/Manchester/Arsenal/Liverpool, or do they say City/Bohs/monaghan/Tralee Dynamoes or whoever.

Slash/ED
05/09/2003, 11:56 PM
The problem is not the booing, its the reason behined the booing, which although it may not be overtly and deliberatley sectarian, DOES have its roots based in sectarianism. My opinion on booing is that every single person in the landsdowne crowd should boo and whistle every time ANY opposition player touches the ball, and REALLY intimidate them- its this selective abuse based on some ridiculous allegiance to a foreign club that bugs me.

I wouldn't agree with the first point, I think there's sectarianism in the history of the rivalry of Celtic and Rangers, but that bears no relevance to the booing of an opponent because he plays for your rivals, but we'd be here all night saying the same things back and forth if we were to argue about it really. I agree with your second point though, Lansedown should be as intimidating as possible regardless of who the opponents play for at club level.

Éanna
06/09/2003, 12:01 AM
I wouldn't agree with the first point, I think there's sectarianism in the history of the rivalry of Celtic and Rangers, Thats why I said
although it may not be overtly and deliberatley sectarian, DOES have its roots based in sectarianism

Slash/ED
06/09/2003, 12:29 AM
Thats why I said

Yes but the point I was making is that, imo, that fact, while being unquestionable true, has no relevance to the booing. They would still be booing the same players in the same way if that fact wasn't true, imo anyway, and that's why it doesn't matter for this debate.

Duncan Gardner
06/09/2003, 10:10 AM
I agree with your [Eanna's] second point though, Lansedown should be as intimidating as possible regardless of who the opponents play for at club level.

I'd have no problem with that ;)

Talking of bad behaviour, reports from the Thursday night train across Ukraine to Donetsk, suggest that the NI fans' party was attended by at least one Ukrainian U-21 squad member.

He didn't inhale though. We lost 0-1. Some local travellers complained about the noise, but the police sergeant on the train bribed them not to make a fuss. Hic.

Scouse
08/09/2003, 10:10 AM
I think the booing is sectarian. We will never admit it because we have this gut reaction that we arent as bad as "the other side".

We find it very easy in Ireland to demonise Rangers. After all there are no Rangers fans around so we can shout u Orange B**tards or Hun or Brit or Stickie (heard that one at the last Old Firm game), we look round at our mates, who are all saying the same thing, and think "ah, at last i belong - i too am a sheep".

The whole status of Celtic in the Republic is a joke. They are not Irish, they pay tax to H.M. Govt, they just take the p*ss out of their "Irish Roots".

I would much rather see Shels/Bohs/Cork City jerseys being worn in the streets than the usual Celtic/Man Yoo/Arsenal, and i say this as a Liverpool fan who has only been in Dublin a year but has still gone to more LofI games than anyone i work with!!

Duncan Gardner
08/09/2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Scouse
we can shout u Orange B**tards or Hun or Brit or Stickie (heard that one at the last Old Firm game

Nice to see there are some Rangers fans in Workers' Party/ Democratic Left/ New Labour/ whatever it's called this week ;)

liam88
11/01/2004, 10:06 PM
To be honest I don't really stand on either side of the booing debate because;
1.Worse things have been done at Windsor Park e.g "Let Him Die!!" and it was one of their own players!
2.We were voted best fans of the World Cup in Japan and South Korea 2003
3.I don't think booing a Rangers player even compares to "hissing" at teams with Jewish roots, singing "always look out on the runway for ice" at Man. Utd. game or singing "Take my breath away" at Liverpool games.
These are club examples, granted, but it shows that (unfortunatley) a LOT worse goes on in football than booing.