PDA

View Full Version : Nights like this make it all worth while

Counting Crow
15/08/2003, 10:41 PM
What can you say about the evening just gone?

For those who couldn't make it I can only say "I feel for you".

The atmosphere was absolutely electric. The signs, banners and chants @ Reynolds were awsome and to see him taken off was magic .......... 1-0 to the City support. Oh and before anyone starts going on about being cruel or unsporting to players I say go and watch syncronised swimming or dressage ( I think that's how you spell them ).

It was brill to see Derek back. He is a true Corkman and never realy fitted in with the Dubs. Anyone could see that tonight. He was obviously not fully fit but his heart brought him true the game. Welcome home "Big Man".

What about Flynny. His legs must be 2 inches shorter with the amount of running he did tonight. Come to think of it every one of them were incredible.

This was a classic case of the opposition "bottling it".

With the lads down to 10 men, and their supposed "hard man" in midfield taken off CRYING, there has to be serious questions over Rovers and their manager...........ha ha ha!

Anyway, ratings:

Devine......8 good catches, got the Shed going well and really pi$$ed off Molloy towards........super keeper
Hoggy.....8 what a tackle towards the end....enough said.
Murray....8 A ROCK. Him and Derek.......brill.
Bennett.....6 Did the right thing to take down the $cum...but really had to go
Big Derek.....8 What a heart. Cork true and true. I think the season could turn on this season.
Woods.....7 Did OK ....Quite enough but only because the game didn't come his way
Doyle......8 outstanding .... he must have RED ( as in Cork ) blood in him. Will be a real winner.
Greg.... 7 Good to see him back. Fought hard.
Colin....7 Did well. Passed well and chased everything.
Casy.....6 Looks good. Obvious choice to go to cover for Bennett's sending off. Looks promising.
George......9 Sublime is the only way to describe him. Rovers just couldn't cope with him - skill and heart. What a star.
Flynny......9 The guy is back on the goal trail ....... look out everyone else. He will be 4' 8" by the end of the season if he keeps running like he did tonight. Don't ever leave us John.

The support......10+ Yet again the Rovers fixture turns out to be the fixture of the season. Isn't there something about doing them.

The flags, banners, chants and non stop atmosphere tonight made it one of the great nights.

Hitman
15/08/2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow

The support......10+

I don't know, I think the Shed were drowned out by the "Buckley Out" chants from the away section.

Dylan
15/08/2003, 11:19 PM
the whole team were outstanding, and while he was not the star of the night I think Hoggy deserves a special mention. What a second half, you could see they were throwing everything at him,
but he dug in and frustrated that ponce who was on him.
If anyone wants an example of Cork spirit, watch Hoggy. He looked tonight like a man prepared to die for his hometown club.

Counting Crow
15/08/2003, 11:25 PM
Spot on Dylan.

Hoggie would have run through a wall tonight ( but then so would the rest of them..... what heart )

I think his tackle towards the end on that **** in the white boots was awsome.

SSS
16/08/2003, 6:55 AM
I was going to give Hoggie a thread of his own!
Shams #11 (Grant) was no easy mark and Hoggie had to play out of his skin last night to keep him out. If Rovers thought that was where our weeakness was, Hoggie put them straight.

Éanna
16/08/2003, 12:12 PM
couldn't agree more with everything in this thread. if there is still anyone in this city who thinks that george or dolan aren't up to it, they're lost cases. how often do you see a flair player like george digging back in his own box like he did last night, like he did against shels. last night was the sweetest in a long time :D

ccfc till i die
16/08/2003, 1:34 PM
All the rovers fans are licking their wounds, none of them are on the ultars board. There was 150 of them at most at the X last night, most hardcore fans in Ireland my arse.

niamh
16/08/2003, 2:06 PM
Have to say...last night was just what I and many other City fans needed.
The team played really well and were unlucky not to have won by more.
George played out of his skin...he has only got better since people have got on his case...which is the best response.
And Derek did v well in what is a difficult match. Any mistake against Rovers and people are on your case for weeks.

SÓC
16/08/2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by ccfc till i die
All the rovers fans are licking their wounds, none of them are on the ultars board. There was 150 of them at most at the X last night, most hardcore fans in Ireland my arse.

150? Naw biy, 70-80 of them but in fairness they have an excellent crowd cover, pity they had no crowd to cover tho'.

George was unreal again. When he got the ball, even in our half, the Rovers plays stood off him, gave him space, they kew he was just going to take the pi$$ out of them if they tried. He was really fired up and you could see it means a lot to him to be playing for Cork City. He needs to be paid what he deserves.

Derek did well in the air, a bit suspect on the ground at times but he's not match fit yet.

I feel very sorry for Benno, he hasnt had much luck which is a real pitty cause he's been playing excellently.

golly
16/08/2003, 4:57 PM
george is simplt sh*t hot wat a player. against shels he was sublime last nite i cant find a word for it. how can anyone say he has no passion did ye c him in front of d shed wen he kicked d ball out of the ground in injury time. i think the totally UNFAIR criticsm of george has brought d best out of him and cause of this i say thank u to the f**king begrudging cnuts who moan bout george coz they have made him better than he was b4. how can he not have been offered a new contract wen its clear without him we would lack serious quality and john would have nuting either.

dcnags
16/08/2003, 11:33 PM
georgie is pure class.
how could ANYBODY doubt his talents:confused:

I dare 1 of the begrudgers to try and make a point now:p!!He has been very consistent this season with his performances.when he has an average game ye say he played **** and when hes class ye're nowhere to be seen on the site

Cork City has no time for people who knock ANY player especially of georgies qualities.

patsh
17/08/2003, 10:19 AM
I thought Doyler was motm. He is an incredible player and will only get better and, (big claim I know, but...), is one of the BEST EVER signings for City.
A special mention for Benno though, he knew what he was doing was the best for the club, not for him. He has had a lot of criticism recently, but Benno is one of the players who are the heart and soul of City and I want to see him playing for this club forever.
And Hoggie...you're a legend !

btw, I thought there were as many City fans at $hels for a Thursday night, as were the supposed "ultras" at the Cross on Friday?
Just like the small crowd at Richmond of a Sunday when we played them up there.
All the bullsh*t these chancers come out with about how great supporters they are, they had one big cover for a few seconds and then they were a small bunch of quite little sheep for the rest of the night.
Ultras me arse !
Sh*t team, no ground,
Sh*t team, no fans...:D

Neil
17/08/2003, 10:51 AM
You're right Patsh, the Dublin club's fans are clutching at straws at this stage saying that their away support is better than City's. They can't get their head around the fact that Dub eL fans have only 6 real away games (ie outside the greater Pale) while City have 16.

Cityace
17/08/2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by patsh
I thought Doyler was motm. He is an incredible player and will only get better and, (big claim I know, but...), is one of the BEST EVER signings for City.

I think thats going a bit far to early, he might prove you right in the next few seasons though.He is definatley my favourite player.

You might think the begrudgers have given up and have scampered away with there tails between there legs but i can assure the better Georgie does the more anti-Georgie they get.After he cleared our line last night the ***** next to me said, "will he ever Fcuk off and do us all a favour".

L@NGERS!!!!!!:mad:

Éanna
17/08/2003, 1:44 PM
those georgie bashers are just confirming what we all know already- they are idiots. george played a blinder for the second time in a week, doyler was magic AGAIN, hoggie kicked that fairy grant into touch all night- in short the lads were magnificent. benno seems to be having no luck right now- chin up fella cos you'll be a city star for years to come.

A face
17/08/2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
benno seems to be having no luck right now- chin up fella cos you'll be a city star for years to come.

Bennett is a legend .... he has had a blinder so far this season. Luck is not in his favour at all ....... but it doesn't undo the work he has done though. Himself and Dan are a great pair.

NorthoftheLee
18/08/2003, 8:43 AM
lads ive been buzzin all weekend...still have a smile on my face today. The lads were fucin brilliant on Friday night. Every single one of them..........GOC was class once again....how many incredible performances does he have to put on in order to convince these dimwits what a player he is...For his first game back I thought Greg did very well..fuc it everyone was brilliant....Great to see the reception that DC got when he came on....

The mighty Ultras were extremely unmighty....think I heard about 2 chants from them all night....good crowd cover though...let down by a few again....but I suppose it wasnt there fault again...

The atmosphere in the shed was great....about time some people started opening their mouths...see what can be accomplished when we all get behind the team.....

saw ratnolds after the game.....just laughed at him....was so funny....

Colm
18/08/2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
lads ive been buzzin all weekend...still have a smile on my face today. The lads were fucin brilliant on Friday night. Every single one of them..........GOC was class once again....how many incredible performances does he have to put on in order to convince these dimwits what a player he is...For his first game back I thought Greg did very well..fuc it everyone was brilliant....Great to see the reception that DC got when he came on....

The mighty Ultras were extremely unmighty....think I heard about 2 chants from them all night....good crowd cover though...let down by a few again....but I suppose it wasnt there fault again...

The atmosphere in the shed was great....about time some people started opening their mouths...see what can be accomplished when we all get behind the team.....

saw ratnolds after the game.....just laughed at him....was so funny....

I agree 100% with all of that NOTL.
Great game, excellent atmosphere especially in the second half.
As you said every single one of the players was fantastic and all of them deserve a lot of credit and praise.
It was one of the sweetest victories in a long time, for me it was as good, if not better than the 3-2 win over bohs.

James
18/08/2003, 12:27 PM
and more
dont forget old trev molloy (i think) giving the finger to cork city fans when he was the rovers team bus apparently.. what a junkie scumbag :eek:

Colm
18/08/2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by James
and more
dont forget old trev molloy (i think) giving the finger to cork city fans when he was the rovers team bus apparently.. what a junkie scumbag :eek:

From what I've heard Junkie Molloy wasn't the only homeless player making gestures to City fans outside the ground after the game. Scum.

SÓC
18/08/2003, 1:54 PM
I felt sorry for Casey the other night, some one had to come off to allow us to bring on Big Derek, I though Casey had even played quite well in the first half, got more good crosses in, we could start scoring a lot of goals from him if Greg and Colin sort out between when to go forward etc.

Picking the man of the match that night must have been the hard job in the country, Colin T got it in the end didnt he? I though George was our best player on the night but everyone single one of them were outstanding.

Doyler is getting better and better, he really put the shíts on the Rovers defence when he ran at them.

Eric
18/08/2003, 2:48 PM
I was at home in Fermoy after the match just tucking into a nice snackbox when low and behold.......the scum of dublin town walked into the chipper!!!!

I just sat there with my City jersey on and the biggest smile you've ever seen. The look of disgust on their faces was priceless:D :D :D

Although Buckley did say 'well done'

golly
18/08/2003, 2:51 PM
deres trophies in this young team if they stay 2gether

James
18/08/2003, 2:52 PM
what about the RAT eric
did ratnolds have anything to say for himeself :D
he probably **** his pants on seeing another member of the REBEL ARMY :D

Kilcoyne Our Hero :ball:

yan
18/08/2003, 3:04 PM
i dont want to sound stupid,im supporting city for 8 yrs now but wat has kilcoyne done, i know he was their chairman and stuff but why is he our hero

Eric
18/08/2003, 3:10 PM
The Rat didn't come into the chipper, he was busy searching in the rubbish bins outside!!!! Like the true RAT he is

James
18/08/2003, 3:19 PM
is it true the horseshoe was taking those rat notes as currency for pints after the match :D

dcnags
18/08/2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by yan
i dont want to sound stupid,im supporting city for 8 yrs now but wat has kilcoyne done, i know he was their chairman and stuff but why is he our hero

i think he sold the scums ground and thats why to this day they are HOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMELEEEEEEESSSSSSSS

Its just a go at the fans and the K O H thing

James
19/08/2003, 7:00 AM
Originally posted by dcnags
i think he sold the scums ground and thats why to this day they are HOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMELEEEEEEESSSSSSSS

Its just a go at the fans and the K O H thing

indeed it is KOH (http://www.eirways.com/citynet/gallery/20030815_rovers/1_G)

patsh
19/08/2003, 10:48 AM
Lads, I was away watching the other Rebels in Croker on Saturday, so I missed the BRB.
Were there any interviews with PD, Derek or any of the players?
Did Sleazeball Buckley have anything to squeak for himself?
What was their round up of the game like?

TommyT
19/08/2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Eric
The Rat didn't come into the chipper, he was busy searching in the rubbish bins outside!!!! Like the true RAT he is

Surely he was on his way to Waterford rather than Dublin.

razor
20/08/2003, 1:10 PM
Yeah, sure wasn't he getting a lift off Jimmy !!!!