PDA

View Full Version : 21 Years Ago Today - Where Were You?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

smasher
12/06/2008, 8:34 AM
In a pub in Carrick with all the mates. Forecasted beforehand that if England didnt start Hoddle, we would beat them. Then................HOUGHTON!!!!!!!!

Emmet
12/06/2008, 8:55 AM
I was at Primary school in Hong Kong. I remember we had an assembly in the morning during which the (English) music teacher was asking the kids there to name the teams taking part; after they had gone through all eight teams he then said Ireland was probably the weakest side and England one of the strongest. The game was on at around 9pm HK time - I remember my Dad jumping up and down thumping the sofa in a mad frenzy when Houghton scored. Next day at school, we had another assembly. I remember we sang a football song before which that same teacher said sheepishly 'A song for all you Irish fans' ... I remember thinking 'Ha!!' :D :D

GavinZac
12/06/2008, 8:56 AM
Probably at home in Cork, crushing toy soldiers with a Tyrannosaur. I was 3.

Duggie
12/06/2008, 8:58 AM
i was 6 - dont remember:p

scousedub
12/06/2008, 8:58 AM
I was at the game. We stayed on for the whole tournament including final. Been on many trips since, but, nothing will ever beat our first ever qualification for a tournament.

OwlsFan
12/06/2008, 9:01 AM
http://www.dermothardy.com/pictures/scoreboard%20from%20england%20end.JPG

At the game and can be seen in one TV view signing along to "Come on you boys in green" (yes, the chants haven't changed much). I had waited 34 years for us to qualify and what a way to start!!

Claret Murph
12/06/2008, 9:21 AM
It's funny but I will always remember the game but never the time I watched it as I was in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia glued to a black and white Tv set in a very run down hostel , hard to beleive it was 20 years ago ..........:)

boovidge
12/06/2008, 9:33 AM
i still had 3 months until i was born :)

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 9:35 AM
A mate of mine was in Cordoba yesterday for the 30th anniversary of Archie Gemmils goal againt Holland. He was able to get on the pitch and do a Phoenix from the Flames type recreation.

Would love to do that in Stuttgar in 10 years time.

Jofspring
12/06/2008, 10:21 AM
in a nappy rolling around on the floor :D

cobra
12/06/2008, 10:31 AM
:oUp along with my father in the athletic grounds, Armagh, watching Donegal get thumped in Ulster championship.

Sligo Hornet
12/06/2008, 10:49 AM
:D
A mate of mine was in Cordoba yesterday for the 30th anniversary of Archie Gemmils goal againt Holland. He was able to get on the pitch and do a Phoenix from the Flames type recreation.

Would love to do that in Stuttgar in 10 years time.

Go for it Neil!......with 10years to go you should be able to get in shape!

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 10:57 AM
I am sure I can be just like Ray Houghton is now.

Schumi
12/06/2008, 10:58 AM
8 years old in a jammed pub. Couldn't see the TV at all but got the idea of what had happened when the goal went in. Burnt my arm on some guy's cigarette too. :mad:

gspain
12/06/2008, 11:02 AM
In the Neckarstadion Stuttgart behind the goal.

20 years where have they gone.

The greatest day in Ireland's history bar none (and no I did not leave out the word football by mistake).

First game in a major finals and what a way to enter the world stage.

The reaction of the Germans afterwards was fantastic too. We were cold shouldered before the game but had little old ladies shaking our hands afterwards, "Thank you thank you so much for beating England".

We slept in our broken down car the night before as it was too wet to pitch the tent. Those 84 minutes probably took years off my life but who cares.

beautifulrock
12/06/2008, 11:03 AM
In the Archway Tavern North London, chaos and believe it or not a lock in was required as pubs used to close on Sundays during the day back then,

OwlsFan
12/06/2008, 11:12 AM
We were cold shouldered before the game but had little old ladies shaking our hands afterwards, "Thank you thank you so much for beating England".

Well, they had failed twice before ;)

paul_oshea
12/06/2008, 11:14 AM
In the Archway Tavern North London, chaos and believe it or not a lock in was required as pubs used to close on Sundays during the day back then,

I'd say it was some lockin though rock!

Drumcondra 69er
12/06/2008, 11:20 AM
8 years old in a jammed pub. Couldn't see the TV at all but got the idea of what had happened when the goal went in. Burnt my arm on some guy's cigarette too. :mad:

Naughty naughty, the game was on during holy hour if I recall corectly! :D

Watched at at home, my Da had gone over but wouldn't take me, the swine!

Was just gone 18 and a student, had no cash to go over myself, still sick over missing it! :(

What a day though, was in disbelief afterwards, the pubs filled up more and more for the Russia and Holland games over the next week as the non football fans in the nation stood up and started taking notice and the homecoming down O'Connell Street, while not the same scale as in 1990 was still amazing. Proper spontaneous homecomings not like the contrived boll1x up the phoenix park we had to endure in 94 and 02.

Truly the start of something special in Irish society, heady days.....

osarusan
12/06/2008, 11:22 AM
in my kitchen, with my mum, uncle and sister. I was 9. At the final whistle, I remember my uncle on his knees, banging his head against the floor in celebration! I went outside and picked up my 'Maradona' football, and kicked it up in the air. In my emotional state, and due to my lack of skill, I ended up kicking it into a patch of briars from which it was not recovered for years.

My dad and brother were on a quay in Wexford waiting for a boat to take them to the Saltee Islands, as they went every year. I was mercifully still too young to go that year. They watched the first half in a bar, then had to head to the quay to be in time for the boat. Except, the lads taking them out to the islands didn't turn up for another hour, because (as they cheerfully admitted) they'd been watching the game.

superfrank
12/06/2008, 11:25 AM
in a nappy rolling around on the floor :D
I'm guessing the same for me. I was only two months old.

Schumi
12/06/2008, 11:32 AM
Naughty naughty, the game was on during holy hour if I recall corectly! :DIt was a bar in a sports club, were they covered by that?

I remember having to break out of a bar in Drogheda during a holy hour 12 years later to go to a game. :D

bholg
12/06/2008, 11:35 AM
In the lounge in a hotel in spain. full of english people except me & my ma. even at 8 years old I knew to make the most of it.. kids can get away with horrendously gleeful gloating!!!

GavinZac
12/06/2008, 11:39 AM
I'm guessing the same for me. I was only two months old.

You parents rolled you around on the floor when you were 2 months? Explains a bit! :p

happydays97
12/06/2008, 11:42 AM
Anyone got a video clip of the goal??

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 11:45 AM
okqR2zEIJHY

I was ten watching the game at home in my house. I remember sitting in the corner during a break in play praying to God that we would hold out. We just about did. By that stage I had been at a good few Ireland matches and had already caught the bug.

dynamo kerry
12/06/2008, 11:51 AM
I was 10, watched it at home, recorded it (kept it for years , no idea what happened to the tape)

then went to a fundraising fete of some sort beyond the bons hospital in tralee, met a pal of mine and we spent ages laughing at kenny samson and peter shilton. glorious day in kerry too.

was also shocked at how few people on the day had watched it. I was banging off the walls.

irishultra
12/06/2008, 11:57 AM
When Houghton scored I was probably becoming a thought in my parents minds.

kingdom hoop
12/06/2008, 12:00 PM
My parents were gone to it so I watched it in Daddy no.2's house across the road, I'm told. Just 3 at the time, I can't remember any fundraising fete near the Bons, the glorious weather in Kerry, nor, thankfully, the hangover the day after. :D

Schumi
12/06/2008, 12:22 PM
Any decent sized photos?

I'm having to make do with a fairly pixellated photo of the scoreboard on my desktop at the moment.

Wolfie
12/06/2008, 12:26 PM
England '88

I was 13 for the '88 finals and was fanatical about the team having avidly followed the qualifying campaign and attended all of the qualifying games with my Da for the first time and dared to dream we just might qualify.

All of this culminated in our first finals game, against the auld enemy and noone gave us an earthly.

I watched the game at home with my family.

The anticipation and tension before the game was unbearable. Don Givens and John Giles (with black hair!!!) were on the RTE panel. Some footage of Mick Byrne roaring to the supporters "We'll do dem for yis today!!!" and a roar back from the crowd.

The sheer elation of Houghton's goal - even on the players faces - I will never forget. Time appeared to stand still for a few seconds as the ball hit the net.

We rode our luck on occasion - that's undeniable - but we had a few opportunities to score again, during the seige, that our often overlooked - after some great link up play in the middle, Houghton was put through late in the first half but fluffed the square ball out for a corner and Whelan hit the bar with a volley in the 2nd half.

Finally, the nail biting, tortuous wait for the ref's whistle for time up and the release when the victory was sealed.

To celebrate, all of the kids in the area ran through the estate with a tricolour bursting with pride until we reached the green. We played our own match then with various re-enactions of the winning goal we had just witnessed.

Off in the distance we could see older lads with Flagons on top of the Ballymun flats - leaping around like lunatics.

There was a T-shirt doing the rounds with a Team Group photo taken just before kick -off - "On the 12th June 1988 - These men made history" - and I don't think that's a major overstatement.

One of the happiest days of my life.

Traps Cat
12/06/2008, 12:43 PM
Remember it like it was yesterday Wolfie - remember the auld fella nearly jumped through a plate glass window when we scored!!

Gather round
12/06/2008, 12:52 PM
The greatest day in Ireland's history bar none (and no I did not leave out the word football by mistake)

I am genuinely impressed at your lot's powers of recall. I can't remember all the details of games we won two or three years ago.

Wolfie
12/06/2008, 12:53 PM
Remember it like it was yesterday Wolfie - remember the auld fella nearly jumped through a plate glass window when we scored!!

Somewhere, he's running still....................................:D

paul_oshea
12/06/2008, 1:09 PM
When Houghton scored I was probably becoming a thought in my parents minds.

well your fathers anyhow ;)

Wolfie the t-shirts were done before the actual game, how was it not an over-statement then? Before it I mean?! :confused:

I was 5 and god knows what i was at. I cant remember any of it unfortunately, though my brother tells me i should remember and "am a brat for not remembering" as he was just ond enough to fully understand what was going on.

gufcfan
12/06/2008, 1:15 PM
I was a 4 year old, who unfortunately was born to parents with no interest in sport. I watched Italia 90 in the neighbours house because it wasn't to be seem in my gaff. I remember it even though I was 6.

amjl
12/06/2008, 1:21 PM
I was only 7 at the time. Oblivious to the going-ons of one Ireland's greatest football achievements. Dont remember anything about football till the build up to Italia '90!

Drumcondra 69er
12/06/2008, 1:24 PM
England '88

We rode our luck on occasion - that's undeniable - but we had a few opportunities to score again, during the seige, that our often overlooked - after some great link up play in the middle, Houghton was put through late in the first half but fluffed the square ball out for a corner and Whelan hit the bar with a volley in the 2nd half.

True. didn't Quinn come off the bench and throw himself at a corss for a decent diving header as well.

Bonner was inspired that day, I remember the Irish times the following day had a cartoon entitled 'St. Patrick' with Bonner diving around the goals and the ghostly figure of St. Patrick in full regelia with his crozier in his hand and mitre on his head shadowing Packies every move and saving anything that got past him! :D

SUB of the day
12/06/2008, 1:30 PM
.....pride ,tension, emotion, fear, Neckar Stadion Stuttgart had it all that sunny Sunday.The freakout for the goal remains the best of the lot, falling down steps, total incredulity written accross every face.This was soon followed by the realisation that there was 84 minutes remaining.I still have the Cork City jersey(complete with blood stains thanks to Ingerland fans) I wore that day.The German response afterwards was humbling, free beer ,backslaps, it had never felt so good to be Irish.In the hostel the following morning every fan had that high on life mood, it wasn't a dream, we had beaten England 1 nil:)

gspain
12/06/2008, 1:43 PM
Well, they had failed twice before ;)

It was three times according to the T shirts "2 world wars and 1 world Cup!" on the front - "England invasion of Germany 40 years on" on the back.

It was just 2 British teams according to the locals until we won and there was obviously a lot of stuff on local tv as the attitude changed completely after the game.

gspain
12/06/2008, 1:49 PM
I am genuinely impressed at your lot's powers of recall. I can't remember all the details of games we won two or three years ago.

September 7th 2005. Windsor Park - David Healy scored. Some of your fellow fans may still remember it. :D

I was in the west upper stand at Lansdowne as we were playing France - now that's one I'd like to forget.

No. 7
12/06/2008, 2:15 PM
At home with my father, when houghton scored he went out the front door and done 3 laps of the house shouting his head off, usually the neighbours might think you were mad, but they knew the significance.......

I was only 9 at the time but i remember it well, happy days.............

TonyH
12/06/2008, 2:26 PM
Hi guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I was 16 years old and me and a couple of friends had managed to save up enough to interrail over to Germany for the games. We got the tickets from Ray Tracy travel for about 20 quid each belive it or not. I was behind the goal when Razor scored. I still remember it now. Time seemed to slow down. I remember watching the ball loop into the net and then looking at the linesman expecting it to be a foul or something. Then going absolutely mental for what seemed like a lifetime. I watched most of the rest of the match through my fingers, I still can't believe that Lineker didn't manage to score.
That night in Stuttgart will live long in my memory. What a laugh... I've been to a lot of away games since but nothing comes close to that (Including beeting Italy in new York). On my way out of the stadium I managed to buy a tee shirt with "We beat the brits in Deutschland 88" on the front and "Houghton 12mins" on the back. I still have no idea how they made them so quickly. I still have it but it doesn't fit anymore!!
What a day!!
The only downside for me from the whole 88 experience was that it suddenly became very difficult to get tickets for games any more because everyone jumped on the bandwagon and the FAI started all the corporate rubbish (I had to queue for 17 hours on D'Olier street to get tickets for the England game in 1990)
Can't believe it's 20 years ago. Good times, great memories

gspain
12/06/2008, 2:31 PM
http://www.christymoore.com/lyrics_tabs_detail.php?id=45

Joxer Goes to Stuttgart
Christy Moore

It was in the year of eighty-eight, in the lovely month of June,
When the gadflies were swarming and dogs howling at the moon,
Ah with rosary beads and sandwiches for Stuttgart we began,
Joxer packed his German phrase-book, and jump-leads for the van.

Ah well some of the lads had never been away from home before.
It was the first time Whacker put his foot outside of Inchicore.
And before we left for Europe, we knew we'd need a plan,
So we all agreed that Joxer was the man to drive the van.

In Germany the Autobahn was like the Long Mile Road
There was every make of car and van, all carrying the full load
Ford Transits and Hiaces, and an old Bedford from Tralee,
With the engine overheating from long-hauling duty free.

There were fans from Ballyfermot, Ballybough and Ballymun
On the journey of a lifetime and the craic was ninety one
Joxer met a German's daughter on the banks of the River Rhine
and he told her she'd be welcome in Ballyfermot anytime

And as soon as we found Stuttgart, we got the wagons in a ring
Sean Óg got out the banjo and Peter played the mandolin.
Oh there were fans there from everywhere, attracted by the sound
At the first Fleadh Ceól in Europe and Joxer passed the flagon round

But the session it ended when we'd finished all the stout
The air mattresses inflated and the sleeping bags rolled out
As one by one we fell asleep, Joxer had a dream
He dreamt himself and Jack Charlton sat down to pick the team

Joxer dreamt they both agreed on Packie Bonner straight away
And that Moran, Whelan and McGrath were certainly to play
Ah but tempers they began to rise, patience wearing thin
Jack wanted Cascarino, but Joxer wanted Quinn

And the dream turned into a nightmare, Joxer stuck the head on Jack
Who wanted to bring Johnny Giles and Eamonn Dunphy back
Ah well the **** crew in the morning, it crew both loud and shrill
And Joxer woke up in his sleeping bag many miles from Arbour Hill

Ah next morning none of the experts gave us the slightest chance
They said that the English team would lead us on a merry dance
Ah with their union jacks all them English fans for victory they were set
Until Ray Houghton got the ball and he stuck it in the net

What happened next is history, brought tears to many eyes
Oh that day will be the highlight of many people's lives
Well Joxer climbed right over the top and the last time he was seen
Was arm-in-arm with Jack Charlton, singing 'Revenge for Skibbereen'.

Ah now Whacker's back in Inchicore, he's living with his Mam
And Jack Charlton has been proclaimed an honorary Irishman
Listen do you remember that German's daughter on the banks of the River Rhine
Ah jeez, well didn't she show up in Ballyfermot last week ....

seand60
12/06/2008, 2:32 PM
Out on Lough Ree getting the course ready for the Athlone Boat Club rowing regatta while the lads were watching in the nearby pub. Got somebody to video it for me but think I have never actually looked at it.

tetsujin1979
12/06/2008, 2:38 PM
I was 8, and was on a sponsored 10km walk for our parish, of all places. I still have vivid memories of our parish priest walking past myself, my mum and my brother with a radio held to his hear saying "Ireland are winning", and having no idea what he was talking about! I wasn't really interested in football until Italia '90

There's a short interview with Ray Houghton on the Colin and Jim-Jim Euro 2008 podcast here: http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/pod-v-120608-39m06s-colmandjimjim.mp3
Ray comes on at about 11:50

You'd imagine there will be something done about it on rte tonight

Pauro 76
12/06/2008, 2:38 PM
I was only 11 when that game was on. I was never into football much at that time, it was GAAH for me. That game sealed it for me.

colster
12/06/2008, 2:41 PM
I was 15 watching it at home. I remember when houghton scored I ran out of the front door and celebrated with the rest of the neighbours who'd done the same thing.
After the match I remember loads of cars driving arround with flags and horns beeping.
What a day!!

razor
12/06/2008, 2:47 PM
I watched it at home alone, study break from the dreaded Leaving Cert.

smasher
12/06/2008, 3:01 PM
I watched it at home alone, study break from the dreaded Leaving Cert.
Yeah, never realised when I started this thread it would get such a response. Hopefully Bill and the lads will do something it on it tonight during Euro 2008.
Great days indeed and fantastic to have those memories. We were priveliged to be part of it !