PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 Scotland Ireland?

Pages : [1] 2

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 5:15 PM
Any views on the stories in the Star and other papers yesterday?

I'd imagine there is a strong chance that Eufa will strip Poland and Ukraine off the finals but are Scotland and Ireland in with a chance if this happens.

8 stadiums needed:

The Scotish side of the 2008 bid failed on the fact that 3 stadiums were in the one city, Celtic Park, Hamden and Ibrox.

The Irish side well no need to point out where we let the bid down, but as of today we have

Croke Park - far more likey to run with it for the money now they have had socer and Rugby in the ground

Lansdowne Road - regardless of the FAI providing their share of the money the stadium will be built on time as the IRFU will finish it on their own if needs be.

Celtic Park, Hamden and Ibrox could be all used if they were only hosting 2 groups but it would mean a 9th stadium anyway.

Murrayfield - already meets all criteria

Needed

3 stadiums of a minimum of 30K capacity.

Surely the Irish Gove could finance a 30K stadium in the South and a 2nd one in the West to lodge a credible bid. Using the same design as the Drogs new stadium these can be built in a very short space of time and at a much lower cost than traditional stadiums.

Alternately the Scots would need 3 more stadia rather thatn the 2 originally proposed.

Where there's a will there's a way and if we want to do it we can do, we successfully staged the Ryder cup, any one in favour / against etc.

superfrank
11/06/2008, 5:24 PM
It'd be a terrible idea. There's just no proper stadiums here. Landsdowne Road and maybe, just maybe, Croker but that's it.

The Gov are not going to, and rightly so, invest in a 30k stadium if the economy is going down the crapper oin the next few years, as is to be believed.

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 5:43 PM
It'd be a terrible idea. There's just no proper stadiums here. Landsdowne Road and maybe, just maybe, Croker but that's it.

The Gov are not going to, and rightly so, invest in a 30k stadium if the economy is going down the crapper oin the next few years, as is to be believed.

didnt we part host the rugby world cup with just lansdowne, do you not think that even with just Croker and Lansdowne, the idea of hosting agroup and a quarter and possibly semi final or even final would not be good for the country.

If a joint bid was to succeed Croker would surely be odds on for the final due to it having far superior corporate boxes etc than any other of the Scottish stadiums.

superfrank
11/06/2008, 6:14 PM
do you not think that even with just Croker and Lansdowne, the idea of hosting agroup and a quarter and possibly semi final or even final would not be good for the country.
Personally, it'd be embarassing. It would make us look like a country of amateurs to have one proper football stadium.

If a joint bid was to succeed Croker would surely be odds on for the final due to it having far superior corporate boxes etc than any other of the Scottish stadiums.
Hampden Park hosted a UEFA Cup final not too long ago so it can't be that bad if UEFA have it host a final. I'm sure Celtic Park and Ibrox are both pretty good and doubtless they would undergo any necessary renovation if they succeeded in a bid.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything official about UEFA taking the Euros off UKraine/Poland.

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 6:29 PM
Personally, it'd be embarassing. It would make us look like a country of amateurs to have one proper football stadium.

Hampden Park hosted a UEFA Cup final not too long ago so it can't be that bad if UEFA have it host a final. I'm sure Celtic Park and Ibrox are both pretty good and doubtless they would undergo any necessary renovation if they succeeded in a bid.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything official about UEFA taking the Euros off UKraine/Poland.

It was in a few papers yesterday, the fai refused to comment.

Hamden Ibrox and Celtic Park are 3 fabulous stadiums, the only thing is they didnt want 3 groups in the one city when the original bid failed.

Murrayfield is also more than suitable.

While you may not rate Croke Park as a soccer stadium it is streets ahed of the stadium in Yokahama where the 2002 WC final was held and, Stade Francais where the 2006 final was held.

Also the corporate hospitality is among the best of any stadiums in th eworld, a very important consideration for the final. to accomodate the suits:D

When Arsenal were building the emirates they modelled their corporate areas on Croke Park. The GAA are professional, shame about the FAI:D

superfrank
11/06/2008, 6:44 PM
Until I hear something concrete about 2012 not being held in Ukraine/Poland, I'm going to take this argument half-hearted.

I saw it yesterday in the tabloids, nothing in the real papers. Nothing on the BBC or UEFA websites. The FAI have refused to comment. I don't think this is going to happen.

If it did, there'd only be Landsdowne Road and, maybe, Croke Park.

I'm not totally confident that the GAA would allow it. They are a greedy bunch but then again they hate football in this country. And there's the small matter of the hurling and Gaelic championships which take place during the summer.

My problem with using Croke Park is it'd make the FAI look even more amateur. The first stadium they offer is one that's shared with the rugby and then the second one is owned by a different sport association altogether. That's embarassing.

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 6:55 PM
Until I hear something concrete about 2012 not being held in Ukraine/Poland, I'm going to take this argument half-hearted.

I saw it yesterday in the tabloids, nothing in the real papers. Nothing on the BBC or UEFA websites. The FAI have refused to comment. I don't think this is going to happen.

If it did, there'd only be Landsdowne Road and, maybe, Croke Park.

I'm not totally confident that the GAA would allow it. They are a greedy bunch but then again they hate football in this country. And there's the small matter of the hurling and Gaelic championships which take place during the summer.

My problem with using Croke Park is it'd make the FAI look even more amateur. The first stadium they offer is one that's shared with the rugby and then the second one is owned by a different sport association altogether. That's embarassing.

What matter who owns the stadiums?

Do AIB own their bank branches?

I know it's a long shot but why shouldnt Ireland (not necessesarily the FAI) part host a major tournament.

boovidge
11/06/2008, 7:36 PM
Would UEFA really want two small nations that don't regularly qualify for major tournaments to host it again?

That said there are a few stadiums around the country that could be improved to host games.

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 7:43 PM
Would UEFA really want two small nations that don't regularly qualify for major tournaments to host it again?

That said there are a few stadiums around the country that could be improved to host games.

UEFA only want to make as much lolly as possible :rolleyes:, if they could play every game in Croker with the huge exec boxes and premium level they probably would, and no Im not cynical :D

NeilMcD
11/06/2008, 7:51 PM
So,

Hampden

Celtic Park

Ibrox

Pittodrie (would just need a new stand built not that hard to bring to 30,000)

Murryfield

Croke Park

Lansdowne Road.

So really they would only need one more stadium either in Ireland or a totallly renovated stadium in Scotland.

Its not that hard to do actually from a stadium point of view. Other bids have had a lot more to do then build one stand at one Stadium and totally renovated and exted another stadium.

The perfect place would be a new stadium built in Dundee that both teams share but maybe those fans would not be into that but a 35,000 stadium for both teams to share on the site of the stadiums could work or renovate one of the Edinburgh stadiums.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/europe/countries/united_kingdom/scotland.shtml

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 7:55 PM
So,

Hampden

Celtic Park

Ibrox

Pittodrie (would just need a new stand built not that hard to bring to 30,000)

Murryfield

Croke Park

Lansdowne Road.

So really they would only need one more stadium either in Ireland or a totallly renovated stadium in Scotland.

Its not that hard to do actually from a stadium point of view. Other bids have had a lot more to do then build one stand at one Stadium and totally renovated and exted another stadium.

The perfect place would be a new stadium built in Dundee that both teams share but maybe those fans would not be into that but a 35,000 stadium for both teams to share on the site of the stadiums could work or renovate one of the Edinburgh stadiums.

Yes but one of the failures of the original 2008 bid was 3 stadiums in Glasgow, UEFA would not allow 3. 2 of the 8 in one city was acceptable.

Politically the Scots would have to use all three or just Celtic and Rangers, therefore 2 additional grounds needed.

THE latest method of building stadiums sees them built off site and merely asembled, and this method can handle up to 40K capacity.

It could be done, so why shouldnt we be ambitious and say go for it.

My bank manager would love it, and maybe for once my hols would not be to football stadiums:D

NeilMcD
11/06/2008, 8:07 PM
I am sure if Scotland was coming to the rescue of Uefa and with Taylor very high up in Uefa they may overlook the 3 stadiums in 1 city.

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 9:50 PM
I am sure if Scotland was coming to the rescue of Uefa and with Taylor very high up in Uefa they may overlook the 3 stadiums in 1 city.

If it was up to me the less cities therefore the less travelling the better, I mean the athmosphere in Glasgow with a game every day, likewise a game a day in Dublin for a week or even every 2nd day, would eb fantastic.

AS you pointed out it's the very fact that Taylor who was the main man behind the failed bid is now in the postition of almost awarding the tournament to a nation. OK thats a bit simplistic, but definitely he has a lot of clout now and last time I checked nepotism was alive and well:D

pineapple stu
11/06/2008, 9:53 PM
Standard tabloid nonsense to sell papers, I think.

We have one ground under renovation and that's it. We came last in the bidding process, behind the likes of Bosnia and Hungary. No way are UEFA going to give it to us now. If it gets taken away from Poland/Ukraine (and I don't think a tournament has ever been taken away from a host, although it's been threatened numerous times), it'd presumably go to someone higher up the bidding than we were.

NeilMcD
11/06/2008, 9:54 PM
Also because after this they reckon the Euros are going to be expanded it could be the last chance that Scotland has to host a tournament. In addition I am sure Alex Salmond would be all for financing a bid as it would probably only entail refurbished of 2 stadiums and it would push the nationalism agenda right up to the forefront. But in the end I think Spain would get it if the Poles and Ukraine do lose the tournament.

DaveyCakes
11/06/2008, 10:11 PM
Why is everyone assuming that the GAA will hand over Croke Park to UEFA for a month in the middle of the championship season?

Dodge
11/06/2008, 10:23 PM
If it gets taken away from Poland/Ukraine (and I don't think a tournament has ever been taken away from a host, although it's been threatened numerous times),
Colombia to Mexico for the 1986 World Cup finals

LOL at some of the nonsense in here. Not a single ground good enough and people think we might have some say...

boovidge
11/06/2008, 10:28 PM

LOL at some of the nonsense in here. Not a single ground good enough and people think we might have some say...

Can't people dream? :(

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 10:51 PM

Grounds have been listed above on thread, and if you know anything about football and stadiums the following are all well above the required standard
Croke Park
LAnsdowne Road (construction well under way)
Celtic Park
Hamden Park
Ibrox
Murrayfield

Who owns the grounds is irrelevant

YEs the GAA may not play ball but I think in the national interests they may well do, and the group stages are only over 2 weeks, so unless they were hostin a semi final and final it may only be the same period of time that they hosts concerts.

6 of 8 grounds is more than acceptable for a credible bid,

DaveyCakes
11/06/2008, 11:22 PM
Grounds have been listed above on thread, and if you know anything about football and stadiums the following are all well above the required standard
Croke Park
LAnsdowne Road (construction well under way)
Celtic Park
Hamden Park
Ibrox
Murrayfield

That's 3 cities. Not a chance in hell without at least 3 or 4 more.

How is it irrelevant? It's very relevant.

YEs the GAA may not play ball but I think in the national interests they may well do, and the group stages are only over 2 weeks, so unless they were hostin a semi final and final it may only be the same period of time that they hosts concerts.

One of the first stipulations from UEFA will be that no other events will take place in any of the grounds for the duration of the torunament and for probably 2 or 3 weeks beforehand.

Greenforever
11/06/2008, 11:37 PM
That's 3 cities. Not a chance in hell without at least 3 or 4 more.

The only aspect of the Scottish part of the Euro 2998 bid not to fulfill UEFA criteria was a max of 2 satida per city, and they had 3 in Glasgow. 8 stadia are required so there is nothing to prevent you using just 4 cities.

How is it irrelevant? It's very relevant.

It's irrelevant as in as long as the grounds are available for the tournament, the fact that Celtic, and not the SFA own Celtic Park, the SRFU own Murrayfield and the GAA own Croker is not relevant if they are available.

One of the first stipulations from UEFA will be that no other events will take place in any of the grounds for the duration of the torunament and for probably 2 or 3 weeks beforehand.

Yes this would be an issue to be got around, but the starting date of the tournament could be the last week in May as in the 2002 WC, and if there is a will and desire to make it happen, well just maybe the GAA would see it to their benefit to provide the ground.

My main point is why do we as a nation have the attitude "we can not do it" I mean why not stop entering tournaments because we can not win them. We have part held the Ruby world cup, held the Ryder Cup, Special Olympics etc, We are a capable nation if we want to be.

I'm sure in the future you will see a Rugby world cup use both Lansdowne and Croke Park with possibly Scotland and Wales also co-hosting.

pete
12/06/2008, 12:39 AM
We don't deserve to hold it. No infrastructure, track record or ability to cater for large crowds (Lansdowne riots).

The suggestions that the GAA would give up Croke Park in the middle of the summer is the funniest thing I have heard in a while. They would prefer to eat their young. I can see it now "sorry lads Dublin game moved to Portlaoise cos England are playing Holland" :eek:

We should bid for the U-18 or U21 & show Uefa we are not there for the glamour days.

When faced with a situation where you have to move finals due to stadium problems you don't move it to countries which need to build several stadiums, you move it to countries with stadiums already in place i.e. Spain, France etc... especially as they have hosted recently. You can't build DIY stadiums as 4 star rating is a minimum (new Lansdowne is 4 star).

joe_barry80
12/06/2008, 5:36 AM
Thomand park would be finished by then. Just build temporary seats at the ends. And take them down after the tournament. It's the same situation in Klagenfurt & Innsbruck there is no need for such big stadiums in these cities. The Top tier in these stadiums are temporary and will be pulled down after the Euros. Also cork city's stadium could be another possibility.

Having 2 stadiums in one city should not be a problem as Joburg has 2 for the WC 2010. 3 might be though.

Dodge
12/06/2008, 6:28 AM
Thomand park would be finished by then. Just build temporary seats at the ends. And take them down after the tournament.
What could possibly lead you to believe that th FAI, IRFU or government would be willing to spend so much on temporary seating. Remember that the seats used in the Austrian grounds aren't temporary at all, but permanent seats, that will then be removed. The "bucket" type seats won't be allowed.

Having 2 stadiums in one city should not be a problem as Joburg has 2 for the WC 2010. 3 might be though.

Where the Scots/Irish bid fell down was it had 7 stadiums in 3 cities (Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow)

Grounds have been listed above on thread, and if you know anything about football and stadiums the following are all well above the required standard...
I was talking specifically about Irish football

yep, we've had no bother getting the GAA to let Irish teams use Croke Park. England v Polad should be a piece of ****

6 of 8 grounds is more than acceptable for a credible bid
This has been proved incorrect. We weren't even recommended for consideration by the committee

ifk101
12/06/2008, 6:50 AM
Lansdowne isn't even built yet :D

Thomond is too small - it'll have a 15,000 seating capacity. It would take a lot of expense to bring it up to the required standards for a once-off. Planning permission would be needed too and we all know what a lengthy process that can be ....

Croke Park is a non-runner as you can't say with any degree of certainity that it would be made available.

There isn't any other suitable venues in the country.

It would be much better if they looked at hosting an underage tournament as this would have more likely long-term benefits for the game in Ireland.

Greenforever
12/06/2008, 7:04 AM
deleted

Greenforever
12/06/2008, 7:14 AM
We don't deserve to hold it. No infrastructure, track record or ability to cater for large crowds (Lansdowne riots).

Why don't we deserve to? We are consistenly improving our infrastructure. If we were using Croke Park and Lansdowne both are City Centre grounds, and very accessible already. Track record - Ryder Cup and Croke Park most weeks in the summer will host the biggest sporting crowds anywhere in the world.

Only by approaching the GAA will we see if they would be willing to allow the stadium to be used.

2 stadiums are all our part of the bid would require.

Dodge
12/06/2008, 7:43 AM
Why don't we deserve to? We are consistenly improving our infrastructure.
Do you seriously believe that?

Track record - Ryder Cup and Croke Park most weeks in the summer will host the biggest sporting crowds anywhere in the world.
There's traffic chaos every single week too.

2 stadiums are all our part of the bid would require.
Have that confirmed from UEFA do you?

Newryrep
12/06/2008, 7:55 AM
Tabloid talk We would have a better chance bidding for the Winter Olympics !.

Scotland would be better going it alone.

In the highly unlikely scenario that Poland /Ukraine are stripped of the Euro's( Given all uefa are worried about is 5 star hotels for themselves ) there is a country right on Polands doorstep that has everything in place - namely Germany.

Greenforever
12/06/2008, 8:03 AM
Do you seriously believe that?

There's traffic chaos every single week too.

Have that confirmed from UEFA do you?

Why can't we. We can if we have a positive attitude, it we have a negative one why not stay in bed and not go out the door.

Was there traffic chaos for the Ryder Cup? I only went down on the Sunday and it was no problem getting in or out. A traffic management plan would need to be implemented, but it's hardly rocket science.

Not confirmed personally but I doubt if the Scots would have made a bid with Ireland using 2 grounds if it was against the rules / criteria.

Where we differ is I believe if you want to do something you can, GO DO IT, and there is no reason why IF WE AS A NATION WANT to do something we can't do it.

Greenforever
12/06/2008, 8:07 AM
Tabloid talk We would have a better chance bidding for the Winter Olympics !.

Scotland would be better going it alone.

In the highly unlikely scenario that Poland /Ukraine are stripped of the Euro's( Given all uefa are worried about is 5 star hotels for themselves ) there is a country right on Polands doorstep that has everything in place - namely Germany.

Scotland dont have enough Stadiums to go it alone, and if UEFA were of that opinion why not have a permanent home for hte tournament? Probably because UEFA is made up of all national associations, all with different agendas.

GavinZac
12/06/2008, 8:08 AM
Cork City's new stadium is due to have a 28,000 capacity. I'm sure Arkaga would gladly add 7,000 if the government gave them a hand...

gspain
12/06/2008, 8:15 AM
One of the runners up to stage the tournament was Italy. I think they are much stronger position than we are.

To use Croke Park we'd need a motion at GAA Congress to change Rule 42 (or whatever number it is now). UEFA would laugh if the FAI tried to explain what would be involved in this.

If we staged a successful UEFA Cup final in 2011 or 2012 and subsequently managed to host an U21 championship or even an U17 or U19 then we might be in the running for 2016 or 2020,

However with Swansea and Cardiff I think the Scots will try next time with the Welsh

Newryrep
12/06/2008, 8:31 AM
Scotland dont have enough Stadiums to go it alone, and if UEFA were of that opinion why not have a permanent home for hte tournament? Probably because UEFA is made up of all national associations, all with different agendas.

Greenforever, I admire your enthusiasm but

Scotland would only have to build 2 stadiums (by your reckoning) say Dundee/Dundee utd combined and upgrade Pittodrie. It makes far more sense that tying yourself to another association with a less glorious track record who own part of one stadium and has to request use of another from a hostile (at times) sporting authority.

Arent the number of teams going to be increased in the next few years to 20 then 24 which in turn will require more stadia. which may make co hosting more probable otherwise it is only the big nations who could possibly stage it

Concentrate on the football side, as lets face it, the only reason we want to co host it is that it means we dont have to qualify for it.

Newryrep
12/06/2008, 8:38 AM
Can't people dream? :(

My dreams do not resolve around Ireland hosting football tournaments, they are currently revolving around Mrs Van der Sars or De Vaart what ever her name is

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=960269&postcount=7976

endabob1
12/06/2008, 9:04 AM
Given the criticism of the original bid I would be amazed if the FAI/SFA bid was considered as a suitable back-up. I think UEFA would be much more likely to use somewhere like France (Platini), Germany or even England which have imediately available stadiums and have a recent history of hosting major championships

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 9:24 AM
After 2012 Scotland or IReland will not hav ea chance of holding it as the tournament is going to expand. I think the politics of Uefa gives Scotland a decent chance of stepping in to hold it as they really only need to get Wales on board and renovate one stadium. I am sure they could even do it on their own as Alex Salmond would love to host it as it would be a big help in securing a yes vote to independence.

pete
12/06/2008, 9:39 AM
This talk of building new stadiums in Cork or where ever from scratch is laughable. We are talking about Euro 2012 not 2018. Have you noticed how long it takes to get planning, rezoning etc... for even a 10k stadium - just look at Drogheda.

As it stands Ireland has 0 available stadiums.

:rolleyes:

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 9:43 AM
See there is a middle ground. Your first point is right your second point does not. Many countries get awarded tournaments when their stadiums are not finished etc. I agree its too late for planning etc but if a stadium is under construction and is due to be finished 2 years before the tournament, UEFA would be totally happy with that. LR would be viable. Croke Park is another issue.

The only way Ireland could step in with Scotland is to only provide 2 stadiums, 1 being LR and the other being Croke Park, but there would have to be prior agreement with the GAA.

However, Spain and Italy are ahead of us on this so one of those will get it, unless politics really comes into it and Taylor manges to get a vote in favour of Scotland.

boovidge
12/06/2008, 9:51 AM
After 2012 Scotland or IReland will not hav ea chance of holding it as the tournament is going to expand. I think the politics of Uefa gives Scotland a decent chance of stepping in to hold it as they really only need to get Wales on board and renovate one stadium. I am sure they could even do it on their own as Alex Salmond would love to host it as it would be a big help in securing a yes vote to independence.

I don't see why hosting a football tournament would convince the Scottish public that breaking up the UK would be the best route to go down. Although there was a surge in Scottish nationalism after the release of Braveheart so you might be right! ;)

Greenforever
12/06/2008, 10:11 AM
See there is a middle ground. Your first point is right your second point does not. Many countries get awarded tournaments when their stadiums are not finished etc. I agree its too late for planning etc but if a stadium is under construction and is due to be finished 2 years before the tournament, UEFA would be totally happy with that. LR would be viable. Croke Park is another issue.

The only way Ireland could step in with Scotland is to only provide 2 stadiums, 1 being LR and the other being Croke Park, but there would have to be prior agreement with the GAA.

However, Spain and Italy are ahead of us on this so one of those will get it, unless politics really comes into it and Taylor manges to get a vote in favour of Scotland.

Spain and Italy are ahead of us, but UEFA seem to be favouring the smaller nations and yes if the tournament is expanded, there is not going to be another chance of it happening.

Also due to the timescale your large stadiums would need to be complete,or construction well underway.

UEFA visited Croke Park and were hugely impressed and would be prepared to host a champions league final if it was put forward, so it would be a case of over to you GAA.

In fairness to the GAA they have been very good since opening the stadium and have allowed friendly matches, not that they are doing it for the money.

76,000 seats @ E250 per seat equals €19m gate receipts for a Euro 2012 final plus other revenues, 20% of that may just be very tempting

and the reason id love to see it here is apart from not having to qualify, i just love a party:D

superfrank
12/06/2008, 10:40 AM
In fairness to the GAA they have been very good since opening the stadium and have allowed friendly matches, not that they are doing it for the money.
Brilliant post.

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 10:42 AM
I don't see why hosting a football tournament would convince the Scottish public that breaking up the UK would be the best route to go down. Although there was a surge in Scottish nationalism after the release of Braveheart so you might be right! ;)

Yes if Braveheart can have that effect, think of what hosting a Championships would do for Scotland. Just look at England at Euro 96 and the return of the Georges Cross and away from the Union Jack.

Think about what nationalism is. It feeds into sport but it is also the ability of your country to stand onthe world stage and say we are different and capable and have the ability to host things of a world class nature. All this would feed into an extra sense of nationalism amongst the Scotttish people. I would have thought that this was pretty obvious. Make no doubt about it, Alex Salmond is well aware of this and I know for fact that the SNP will be seriously pushing this.

Schumi
12/06/2008, 11:28 AM
There are so many things wrong with this.

Scotland won't go near the FAI about looking to co-host after the shambolic bid the last time. If they want to co-host, Wales would be a much more sensible option.

Three years isn't anything close to enough time to build the (minimum) two extra stadia for the tournament from scratch. How long did Lansdowne take?

UEFA won't go near a Scotland-Ireland co-hosting bid after being shown empty fields (that still don't have a stadium on them) on their last visit. Even ignoring that, with the short notice, UEFA will go for a country with all the stadia already in place: Germany, Spain, Italy, France or England. If this bid runs into trouble, they won't be able to take any chances with a replacement bid.

pete
12/06/2008, 11:34 AM
Do you actually believe the GAA would give up the use of Croke Park for basically the entire month of June to promote European football? They played a low profile Championship game there before the Serbia friendly just to ensure that they had the first event of the summer there.

Someone mentioned us part hosting the rugby World Cup as a plus point. We hosted a few games which were basically just the Ireland home games. Ireland had no involvement in the organisation of the tournament.

If we can prove we can handle the Uefa Cup final in the new Lansdowne maybe we can show have learned from the Lansdowne riots.

Four 10,000 seater stadiums would be enough for the U21 Championships which would prove our commitment to Uefa.

superfrank
12/06/2008, 11:37 AM
We hosted the U-19s a few years ago. Anyone know if UEFA were impressed or not?

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 11:53 AM
There are so many things wrong with this.

Scotland won't go near the FAI about looking to co-host after the shambolic bid the last time. If they want to co-host, Wales would be a much more sensible option.

Three years isn't anything close to enough time to build the (minimum) two extra stadia for the tournament from scratch. How long did Lansdowne take?

UEFA won't go near a Scotland-Ireland co-hosting bid after being shown empty fields (that still don't have a stadium on them) on their last visit. Even ignoring that, with the short notice, UEFA will go for a country with all the stadia already in place: Germany, Spain, Italy, France or England. If this bid runs into trouble, they won't be able to take any chances with a replacement bid.

What 2 extra stadium

Hampden

Celtic Park

Ibrox

Murryfield

Pittodrie (22,800 at the moment can easily be renovated to 30,000)

Croke Park

Lansdowne Road

So that leaves one stadium that needs to be renovated and that could be either 1 in Dundee or Edinburgh would all need about 10,000 extra to their capcity.

As I said earlier I don't think it will go to Scotland or Ireland but some of the reasons above or bogus and not factually correct.

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 11:55 AM
Do you actually believe the GAA would give up the use of Croke Park for basically the entire month of June to promote European football? They played a low profile Championship game there before the Serbia friendly just to ensure that they had the first event of the summer there.

Someone mentioned us part hosting the rugby World Cup as a plus point. We hosted a few games which were basically just the Ireland home games. Ireland had no involvement in the organisation of the tournament.

If we can prove we can handle the Uefa Cup final in the new Lansdowne maybe we can show have learned from the Lansdowne riots.

Four 10,000 seater stadiums would be enough for the U21 Championships which would prove our commitment to Uefa.

Pete we have had one incident in how many years.

How many riots have happened in Poland, Italy, England, Holland, Germany, Slovakia and many many other places.

Your post makes sense but this idea that they would deem Ireland incapable of policing a match between two international teams does not stand up to scrutiny. Other countires have had way more hooligan incidents over the last 30 years or whatever time frame you would like to put on it.

pete
12/06/2008, 12:03 PM
Your post makes sense but this idea that they would deem Ireland incapable of policing a match between two international teams does not stand up to scrutiny. Other countires have had way more hooligan incidents over the last 30 years or whatever time frame you would like to put on it.

We have track record in handling large crowds with potential for trouble. We have never hosted a match between 2 visiting teams.

NeilMcD
12/06/2008, 12:04 PM
Compare us to Poland who were awarded the tournament and see how we stand up.