PDA

View Full Version : Indesign CS3

SeanDrog
10/06/2008, 8:15 AM
Does anyone use this programme? I am involved in a small local magazine and up to now we have struggled by with MS publisher (no laughing) and I really want to upgreade and was wondering about this programme - any feedback would be great?

paul_oshea
10/06/2008, 8:52 AM
Out of interest whats wrong with Indesign? We use it to do club newsletters and its the business.

jebus
10/06/2008, 9:04 AM
Girlfriends a graphic designer and she's only had good things to say about InDesign, I'll ask her later why it's better than Quark and the rest but for now thats all I can tell you

SeanDrog
10/06/2008, 11:46 AM
that would be great -thanks

I was auto going to go for Quark but someone mentioned indesign (nothing indepth apart from it was the bizz).

SeanDrog
10/06/2008, 11:49 AM
Out of interest whats wrong with Indesign? We use it to do club newsletters and its the business.

Do you mean MS publisher? The local mag is a monthly edition of around 40 pages and MS Pub decides to get very very slow and decides to do its own thing once the files get larger (basically when we added in graphics) - also the graphic management is limited, apart from placement and a bit of flexibility with colour, there's not a lot more. For small publications it is fine, newsletters, posters etc but we find when we want to get bigger, its a bit of a narky programme. We can still get by with using it but we want to upgrade the quality of the mag and aren't sure if it would be just better to upgrade to a more professional rather than "home use" programme.

Lastly when we mention to the printers that we use MS Pub files they look like they want to run and we have to convert to PDF before sending to them (for our glossier issues) and even then they complain about having to reset the pages etc - it would be great to have a file format that we can save in and they can use without further modifications etc.

Pauro 76
10/06/2008, 1:42 PM
InDesign is an excellent package. Love it. Was a die-hard Quark fan for years. InDesign has caught it on the rails. Works extremely well with its sister packages, Photoshop and Illustrator. Get Creative Suite 3 (CS3) if ya can, rather than just InDesign....

soccerc
10/06/2008, 1:50 PM
Indesign is the business.

Used it for pagemake up on a local newspaper along with photoshop.

Expensive but great product

Pauro 76
10/06/2008, 2:06 PM
Worked in many print shops here and in the UK, and when people hand in newsletters etc in Publisher and the likes, we do run a mile because the results are cack, Publisher purely wont work with Apple Mac printing processes. Same with Word and the likes too. And it's impossible to get good results down the printers, characters running everywhere, pictures not matching etc. Definitely you should get the package, hunt the net for a free trial package. It runs out after 30 days, but enough for you to get a feel for the package and see if it's right for you. Is it PC or Mac you're working on?

paul_oshea
10/06/2008, 2:20 PM
Worked in many print shops here and in the UK, and when people hand in newsletters etc in Publisher and the likes, we do run a mile because the results are cack, Publisher purely wont work with Apple Mac printing processes. Same with Word and the likes too. And it's impossible to get good results down the printers, characters running everywhere, pictures not matching etc. Definitely you should get the package, hunt the net for a free trial package. It runs out after 30 days, but enough for you to get a feel for the package and see if it's right for you. Is it PC or Mac you're working on?

Are you saying for opening or formatting or what? I have used it for newsletters and though the layout was done by someone else the end product is very good, as being pointed out by those that read it.

Pauro 76
10/06/2008, 2:40 PM
Are you saying for opening or formatting or what? I have used it for newsletters and though the layout was done by someone else the end product is very good, as being pointed out by those that read it.

Im saying Publisher isnt good for bringing to a printshop because, it can't be edited for colour or for printing purposes. With InDesign, it all works perfectly. There's even an option in InDesign for swapping your usual page layout, into a booklet format, very very useful.

paul_oshea
10/06/2008, 3:17 PM
Im saying Publisher isnt good for bringing to a printshop because, it can't be edited for colour or for printing purposes. With InDesign, it all works perfectly. There's even an option in InDesign for swapping your usual page layout, into a booklet format, very very useful.

Cant you just set those properites within the printing properties anyhow? thats how i print a booklet anyhow, on A3 paper as a booklet.

Pauro 76
10/06/2008, 3:21 PM
Cant you just set those properites within the printing properties anyhow? thats how i print a booklet anyhow, on A3 paper as a booklet.

Many people would set up a booklet as in pages Back cover-Front cover, 2-3, 4-5, etc. InDesign would convert that to booklet format by a thing called InDesign SE. It may be an add-on but it's really handy... not sure you can use Printing Properties for it though....