PDA

View Full Version : Another Signing?

Counting Crow
14/08/2003, 7:25 PM
Did I hear correctly that we had signed another guy - some N Ireland lad ............ can't remember his name.

Thought 96FM sports siad something about it on their 6.30pm sports report.

Éanna
15/08/2003, 1:49 AM
just been wandering around norn iron sites- the only player that I cansee thats been released is colin murdock who was with preston- a defender. could be him:confused:

thecorner
15/08/2003, 2:49 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
Thought 96FM sports siad something about it on their 6.30pm sports report.

well if it was on 96fm, it was probably ryan casey
96fm usually slow on the uptake

foureyes
15/08/2003, 4:42 AM
Colin Murdock in a centre half who has since signed for Hibs here in Scotland so its not him. It must be a striker or a midfielder surely?

patsh
15/08/2003, 8:40 AM
from the Irish Examiner
15/08/03
Dolan delighted with Coughlan signing

By Bill George
CORK CITY manager Pat Dolan hailed yesterday’s signing of Derek Coughlan from Bohemians as another important step on the road to making the club “the biggest and the best” in the country.
Coughlan, aged 26, was an FAI Cup winner with Cork in 1998 and last season helped Bohemians to win the League Championship. But he was not involved from early this season and yesterday welcomed his return to his local club. “I don’t regret my time with Bohs. You make your decisions and you live with them and I enjoyed winning a championship with Bohs last season.”

Coughlan initially commuted between Cork and Dublin, a practice facilitated by the co-operation of his employers, Aer Rianta, at Cork Airport, and this season moved to Dublin. He will play as a full-time professional with Cork and, as that position will be reviewed by player and club at the end of the season, he said: “I want to pay tribute to Aer Rianta, I would not have been able to pursue my football career without their on-going encouragement.”

Coughlan was second leading goalscorer for Bohs even though his regular position is centre-back. He has always shown the facility to score goals, especially from set-pieces.

Coughlan will not be in the Cork team to play Shamrock Rovers at Turner’s Cross tonight (7.45 ko) because he has not played a full match and has been training on his own for the past six weeks. It is possible he will occupy a seat on the bench.

Manager Dolan this week released the Australian midfield triallist Andy Packer, but revealed he has former Northern Ireland U21 midfielder Gavin McLaugh on trial.

McLaugh, aged 22, originally came from Derry and was with Aston Villa for six seasons. He is a central midfielder and was a non-playing substitute for the senior Northern Ireland team against Spain.

Cork are likely to have team captain Greg O’Halloran in central midfield for tonight’s game. O’Halloran has played twice for the U21 team in recent weeks after recovering from a knee injury and he will play provided he gets a clearance from the club physio after last night’s training.

Conor O’Grady will miss the match because of suspension while reserve centre-forward Denis Behan is an injury worry with an on-going hamstring problem. Meanwhile, the Cork manager was accompanied by club secretary Jerry Harris when he was interviewed by a three-man committee representing the Board of Control of the eircom League this week.

The three officers quizzed Dolan on criticisms of the league he aired in recent newspaper articles.

He is awaiting a response from the league to the enquiry and said: “The three officers were instructed by the Board of Control to sit down with me and establish through an enquiry whether there were grounds to bring a disrepute charge against me.

“From my point of view I certainly don’t bring the game into disrepute and I was disappointed to be there and I just have to wait for their findings.

shedite
15/08/2003, 12:44 PM
From www.eleven-a-side.com

Coughlan returns to Leeside

Derek Coughlan, a championship-winning central defender with Bohemians last season, has rejoined former club Cork City.

Coughlan left Turners Cross to join Bohs two years ago, and at the beginning of this campaign took the decision to embark on a full-time career at Dalymount Park.

However, that move failed to work out, as Thomas Heary, Ken Oman and Jason McGuinness all leapfrogged him in the Gypsies’ central defensive pecking order, and he has opted to return to Cork after overtures from both Derry City and Waterford United.

Coughlan will also fill a full-time playing position at Cork City, which will be reviewed at the end of the current season, but his acquisition – if he can regain full fitness – could prove a real coup for Pat Dolan’s Leesiders.

The possible partnership at the back between him and Englishman Dan Murray would surely be almost as effective in the attacking third as the defensive one – both men are potent weapons from setpieces and have regularly found the target during their time with their respective clubs.

James
15/08/2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by shedite
From www.eleven-a-side.com
The possible partnership at the back between him and Englishman Dan Murray would surely be almost as effective in the attacking third as the defensive one – both men are potent weapons from setpieces and have regularly found the target during their time with their respective clubs.

they obviously arent talking about the dan murray that plays for city so... the one that hasnt 'regularly found the target'
lol

wonder who they on about..? :rolleyes:

dan's got what 1 goal for city..?

NorthoftheLee
15/08/2003, 1:27 PM
James!!!!!!!!!!!

are you not forgetting

In our defensive Foursome,
He's absolutley awesome,
From corners, he will score some
He's name is Dan Murray!!

Huh!! :rolleyes: :D

Pablo Escobar
15/08/2003, 1:29 PM
Actually he's got 3 or 4! Since he arrived that is!

James
15/08/2003, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by Pablo Escobar
Actually he's got 3 or 4! Since he arrived that is!

all's im saying is that its hardly regularly hes been scoring and for a guy his height he's not imo scoring enough from setpieces..but then delivery of set pieces hasnt been the best for the last number of years..

and NOTL
there is no doubt that..

in our defensive foursome
he's absolutely AWESOME

Dodge
15/08/2003, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
James!!!!!!!!!!!

are you not forgetting

In our defensive Foursome,
He's absolutley awesome,
From corners, he will score some
He's name is ...

Another thing you knicked from the SEI :D :D :D

Nothing to do with me or wws though

NorthoftheLee
15/08/2003, 1:50 PM
Another thing you knicked from the SEI

Dont flatter yourself there Dodge...the song was just like the SE's ---invisible...till we took it aboard.....:D

taken from a club across the water to be precise..and was duley noted on a thread when it was first posted back in March...

James
15/08/2003, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Another thing you knicked from the SEI :D :D :D

Nothing to do with me or wws though

oh god not this lang@r back again
dodge yawn :eek: g'way back to your invisibles ya langaar

Dodge
15/08/2003, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by James
oh god not this lang@r back again
dodge yawn :eek: g'way back to your invisibles ya langaar
I didn't go anywhere James, you just haven't talked as much ****e as usual...

Dodge
15/08/2003, 2:01 PM
Dont flatter yourself there Dodge...the song was just like the SE's ---invisible...till we took it aboard.....:D

taken from a club across the water to be precise..and was duley noted on a thread when it was first posted back in March...
Actually we've been singing it about Colm Foley for a couple of years but believe what you want to believe...

...and if any of you noted the smileys you'd know it was meant as a light hearted jab (of course loads of clubs use it) but seen as you''re the most humourless pack of ..... ever to post on the internet, you can take it the wrong way as usual:rolleyes:

James
15/08/2003, 2:05 PM
jeeze dodge a touchy old jackeen are we today :D
easy to spot the junkie coming down off his high
i know you was joking.. jeeze man go with the flow like

:p

KOH
Keep Off Heroin

niamh
15/08/2003, 2:06 PM
Derek "a potent offensive weapon" eh??
Could George and Billy have competition for freekicks once again!!
Who can hit it highest over the bar lads??

NorthoftheLee
15/08/2003, 2:09 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
...and if any of you noted the smileys you'd know it was meant as a light hearted jab

Eh!!!! did ya not see the big fucin smiley at the end of my sentence.???????

but seen as you''re the most humourless pack of ..... ever to post on the internet, you can take it the wrong way as usual

Eh!! isn't that what you just did ya humourless .... :D (LOOK THE SMILEY >>>>>> I AM MESSIN WITH YA!!!!!!!)

joe
15/08/2003, 2:10 PM
in an effort to steer this back on topic:

Gavin McLaugh (http://www.pinnacle-photography.co.uk/library/upload270103/wolvesvrochdale160203/ppages/ppage10.html)

Neil
15/08/2003, 2:17 PM
GAVIN MELAUGH

http://www.soccernet.com/england/players/melaughgavin.html

Dodge
15/08/2003, 2:24 PM
Eh!!!! did ya not see the big fucin smiley at the end of my sentence.???????

Eh!! isn't that what you just did ya humourless .... :D (LOOK THE SMILEY >>>>>> I AM MESSIN WITH YA!!!!!!!)
Either I did and decided to double bluff or I missed it completely and apologise

NorthoftheLee
15/08/2003, 3:13 PM
Orignally posted by Dodge or the SEIs ..not too sure at this stage and dont want to start it off again so just covering
Either I did and decided to double bluff or I missed it completely and apologise

Totally accepted Dodge........ya lánger ya ;) :D

foureyes
15/08/2003, 6:44 PM
Gavin McLaugh - thats a grand northern name. I wonder why Derry didnt snap him up?

Éanna
16/08/2003, 12:39 PM
Went investigating on the irish league forums about our new signing- here's what they had to say. cforum (http://www.irishleagueforums.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=656;action=display;num=1060913046)

RedX
16/08/2003, 4:42 PM
It seems that he could be a good signing for us if he comes through his trial Eanna.Those lads on the Irish League forum had good things to say about him which is good for us.From the way people are talking about him he seems to be a fairly strong tackling sort of lad and hopefully will be able to pass it around also...