PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one sick of r n b ???

max power
14/08/2003, 5:06 PM
everywhere you go it on, in almost every pub and club in dublin at least, when i'm working i have to play it and after 20 mins or so i change to dance or chart or something and there are always some fools how come up and say : are ya not playing any r n b tonight, are they deaf or stupid or both, or on a seperate subject people who ask me to smile annoy the crap out of me too !!!! i don't know too many people who walk around work all day smiling, so why should i put on a fake smile for them at night, aaaaahhhhhhhh !!!

i need a holiday or a gun.

NigeSausagepump
14/08/2003, 5:23 PM
Saying I was sick of it would imply that I once tolerated it.

I think it's the aural equivalent of maggot-ridden filth.

:)

tiktok
14/08/2003, 6:52 PM
sick of r'n'b, you should try living in the states, you cannot escape it, practically every piece of rubbish that can be filed under r'n'b is immediatley a-listed for rotation on every radio and MTV station over here.

there are a few saving graces, Outkast, Pharell Williams in one of his many guises N.E.R.D / The Neptunes is single handedly putting melody back in the music here, The Roots are swapping guitars for Cristal and actually touring. Missy Elliott (especially with timbaland behind her) is doing ok too.

but if i have to hear/look at P.Diddy, Dre, 50 cent, emenim, L'il Kim, Pariah carey, Ludacris, Phabulous (or whatever daft pun name they use to sell themselves) again i'll have a fit.

Bluebeard
15/08/2003, 11:30 AM
There is a lot of decent stuff out there, like Missy Elliot (or would she be more hip-hop - I don't rightly follow the divide) and Outkast, but it seems that the most popular stuff is trash. Well that seems to be all that's on the radio or the box. Craig David and his gammy hat are cruising for an execution. Jesus, if I have to stand in a shop queue through another DJ telling me how hard M&Ms are, or how it doesn't get better than Nelly and Kelly, I am going to go nuts.

That said, I haven't yet, so unlike Conor, I won't be asking for Margo instead.

Phiulomena Begley would, of course, be a different matter.

Pauro 76
15/08/2003, 12:42 PM
Yeah it annoys the fcuk out of me too.... my housemates are mad on the stuff, bloody Wayne Wonder, Usher, Romeo, Big Brovaz, Ja Rule etc. bragging how much bling bling they have..... dont get me started!

max power
15/08/2003, 12:52 PM
wne to blazers a few weeks ago,after the drogs match i think, first time there in years and even they were playing the rubbish and might i say playing it very badly too.

there is no atmosphere in the music at all, its all :

uh uh yeah, we drive big european cars with crome allys uh uh yeah i was on cribs last week uh uh yeah look at all my lovely lady friends uh uh yeah.

could i release that and get a hit maybe , put in a few ***** and ****** and **** and a bit of my mammy is a ***** and a ***** . and there goes a number one all over the planet and i'll be on cribs next week live from inchicore !!!!!

max power
15/08/2003, 1:50 PM
conor sorry to laugh at you, walking up to a dj and saying have you any good music is one of the stupidist things you can do, he is thinking to himself, what a ****. its like walking up and saying, what music to you have ???? or are you not goint to play any decent music tonight ???

and on a seperate point , have ya any rave, by this a take it you mean current dance music and not the actual rave scene from 88 to about 92 ???

sorry,

but these days you walk into a gig and do what the management want tell you to as they are paying the wages, they bring in a music professional and then tell him what to do, how stupid is that, the last place i played in cork was the mardike i think ???

that dj needs to educate the crowd, i started iin a venue a couple of ytears ago and they were the same , but bit by bit i played a little rock every night and now over half the night is rock and i get complaints if i don't play it.

people are like sheep when it comes to music, look at the way all of a sudden 80,000 want to see the red hot chilli peppers ans 3 years ago they wouldn't have filled the point.

TheRealRovers
15/08/2003, 8:47 PM
G-Unit

tiktok
15/08/2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by the dj
and on a seperate point , have ya any rave, by this a take it you mean current dance music and not the actual rave scene from 88 to about 92 ???

previous threads suggest conor was looking for the latter. :D

we can be too hard on those who end listening to r'n'b. it's all they know. US record execs push artists that make money here on the world. Marketing and Trends control who they promote and eventually who ends up a-listed on 2fm and todayfm and on the eye-level shelving in HMV and virgin.

we tend to be lazy about music, we hear little diversity among radio station output (in dublin it's slightly better), there are few live music venues (except for cover bands in pubs), larger acts rarely move away from the ambassador, the olympia or the point. people aren't exposed to enough different styles or acts and end up basing what they'll buy on 2fm, MTV and pop culture mags.

at the moment, 'bling bling out the ying yang, cruising with my homies on thirty inch rims, busting a cap in yo' ass' is ubiquitous, flooding the marketplace, the few genuinely good r'n'b acts get diluted by the amount of crap that the companies push to try and corner the 'next big thing' tag.

as they'd say themselves, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Pauro 76
16/08/2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Pauro, are these males? Men confessing to liking Usher? Jesus, I'd admit to liking Celine Dion lovesongs before I'd admit to liking some pop MTV act geared towards pleasing the ladies. That ****** from N Sync, Timberlake, is in the same mould.

Nah they're females, although if they were male, Id possibly consider moving out!!!

and I'd agree that people are like sheep when it comes to music, all of a sudden The Chilis are mega popular, they're a great band but it kinda turns me off a band when they get too popular.

Éanna
17/08/2003, 2:19 PM
its absolutely awful like most chart stuff at the moment

Cityace
17/08/2003, 5:27 PM
R n B and garage are the closest equivalents to aural vomit ****e ****. Absolute rubish. All that Craid David/David Craig, Nelly and Kelly, Eminem, Mariah Carey and Busta Rhymes, crap crap crap. If great artists like the Jacksons or Grandmaster Flash could have seen in the days of funk and early rap, that this would be the end product, they would have just puked on the spot. What happened to the message? What happened to Public Enemy diatribes and Run DMC breaking ground? What happened to the anger? What happened to the beat? Where are you Africa Bambaata? What is this "I'm sorry Mama I never meant to hurt you" crap, or "Dear Stan"? "Stan"? "Stan"? What self respecting artist puts "Stan" in a record, it's not the Laurel and Hardy show. What about even the more mellow/clever acts like Arrested Development and De La Soul and PM Dawn? There is no show to bum rush anymore. Jay Zee, you should know that "girls girls girls" is toneless, artless, lyricless drudge. Busta Rhymes, you should be ashamed of yourself, Mariah Carey...Mariah....will someone just shoot Mariah Carey, So Solid Crew, 21 seconds of fame was all you merited and Saaaaaf Laaaaaandaaan 2003 hard wasn't a patch on South Bronx 1983 hard. DJs of the world unite, give us Efil4zagin or Straight Outta Compton, give us big haired thrash metal, give us house or rave, give us grunge, give us New Romantic, give us rock, give us waltzes or old time polkas or Irish Country 'n Western with Margo and Philomena Begley, but don't give us that puke that is called R n B no more.

Praise the lord!! Lay some more on me brother!!!

Originally posted by tiktok
sick of r'n'b, you should try living in the states, you cannot escape it, practically every piece of rubbish that can be filed under r'n'b is immediatley a-listed for rotation on every radio and MTV station over here.

there are a few saving graces, Outkast, Pharell Williams in one of his many guises N.E.R.D / The Neptunes is single handedly putting melody back in the music here, The Roots are swapping guitars for Cristal and actually touring. Missy Elliott (especially with timbaland behind her) is doing ok too.

but if i have to hear/look at P.Diddy, Dre, 50 cent, emenim, L'il Kim, Pariah carey, Ludacris, Phabulous (or whatever daft pun name they use to sell themselves) again i'll have a fit.

I think N.E.R.D. are fairly good.

max power
18/08/2003, 12:29 PM
Conor you sound very bitter, go for a pint and listen to some music, a bit of hip hop perhaps ????

sorry but dance is dead, if you play ten mins of it all you here is are you going to play that all night.

and i'm not a god or think i am, i'm in it for the money and no other reason, i'm at it ten years and the gos factor never interested me, the buzz for seeing 2000/3000 people go wild to a tune is something to be felt.

the biggest reaction i got was when i did the maniac to 27,000 people in Marley park in dublin, now thats a gig.

i'll have my new dj company web site up and going in the next few weeks so i'll be looking for your thoughts.

oh and one last thin conor, did you ever realise that your my puppet when your at a club, think about it, i play fast music you dance fast, i play slow music you dance slow. i turn off the music you stop dancing and when i start it again you start dancing. part of the job is a power thing at times and can be fun, but ti is harder then it looks, laugh if you want, but i've spent ten years working on my trade and still have a lot to perfect,

max power
18/08/2003, 12:46 PM
oh a wedding dj very interesting, that is the area where i do most of my work, i'll send you a pm, i want to find out some info from you if you don' t mind.

the puppet thing was to show you how a god complex can arise, but that mainly happens with the younger fellas who are in the business to pick up woman and not look at it as a career.

i walk in work and walk out, but i have met most of my friends and ex girlfriends through the business, but it is very unsocial, i get 2 saturdays off a year if i'm lucky and work 4/5 nights a week but its my decision to do so .money is my motivation and thats what makes me do it week in week out.

Cityace
19/08/2003, 2:53 PM
It must be really degrading playing other peoples music all the time Dj, Not bieng good enough to have or play your own.;) :D :D

max power
19/08/2003, 3:01 PM
not really, imagine putting all that effort in and then sounding like westlife or oasis, what a let down, i haven't got a musical bone in my body, although i have bought a banjo and am learning to play, its to make the drogs fans feel at home, all we need now is for someone to roar "squeel like a pig boy ! " and it would be a drogs family get together.

i can build a set and get a crowd going and thats what i'm paid to do, i don't really care what music i play once it does the job, as i've said, its all about the money!

sadloserkid
21/08/2003, 1:07 PM
I loathe about 95% of what I'll scathingly dismiss as 'electronically based music' so it's all the one to me! :D

Gimme that last Matchbox 20 single any day! :cool:

sadloserkid
21/08/2003, 1:25 PM
Nah, I love keyboards Conor (well I love pianos but they're linked). I suppose really I hate most music that uses drum machines. Is that any better for ya? :)

Like some Prodigy (that's still guitar-driven though to be honest), some Chemical Brothers and in general techno is listenable I suppose. mOby has moments. But pretty much everything else... :rolleyes:

sadloserkid
21/08/2003, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by max power
i'll have my new dj company web site up and going in the next few weeks so i'll be looking for your thoughts.

Well I'm available! *clears throat* One inexperienced wannabe rock DJ available for hire in the Limerick area

PM me for bookings! :D

sadloserkid
21/08/2003, 1:36 PM
You've just uncovered it. I hate beats. Now, it's out. So be it. :)

Cityace
22/08/2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by max power
its all about the money!

You should be shot for that attitude, i'd fire yea in a second.Spin for the love of the music, not the profit.

Don't really like the Chemical Brothers.

Loved the Prodigy until "Music for the Jilted Generation"/"Fat of the Land" stuff, which I thought was just really bad Depeche Mode with a beat.

Spot on.I dont like Electronic music as you call it but that stems from about 94/95 to now.(With the exception of that Braveheart mix).80's electro music was great fun, Tainted love and all that, Alot of frankie goes to hollywood.

Fatboy Slim's early stuff is really good as is moby's.Crap now though.

Dricky
28/08/2003, 2:39 PM
Thank god people are getting sense.
R'n'B the fûcking cheek of them calling it that, a bunch of wanna bees.
Can't write their own lyrics and have to steal someone else tune.

It POP music and its not going to last.

Dricky
28/08/2003, 2:44 PM
Easy on the God complex. A fellow playing the accordion in a pub **** up has the same control, but don't hear them giving the "you are my puppets" speech! And, everytime you think you are our masters, look around at all the people in a club who are not dancing and are at the bar - most of them MAY (I don't know your set) be thinking "that dj is ****e and this is one horrible night".

I don't expect rave or hardcore at any club. I have no problem bopping around to disco or rock or to whatever a dj throws on. And in fairness to your job there's a lot of good ones out there. The dj at my own wedding two months back played a night of the Stunning, Sultans of Ping, An Emotional Fish, even AC/DC and had the whole floor rocking. Of course it is all subjective and a matter of taste, just that most on this board think r n b is vomit. Carl Cox himself could be playing it, it would still be vomit.

HAve to say say Carl Cox in Space last week and I'm not a big fan of his but my god he can rock the house. Wicked set

max power
14/11/2003, 3:11 PM
i think its a bit weird conor, had a chat with a few lads lately and we were trying to owrk out what set would we put it in and we came up with that its more pop than r n b