PDA

View Full Version : Alan Lee to Cardiff

Slash/ED
14/08/2003, 1:30 PM
Subject to a medical, seems to have passed alot of people by this one, what impact will that have on his Ireland chances?

tiktok
14/08/2003, 5:18 PM
i honestly don't see how it will affect his chances at all, he's still playing football with a mid-table at best first division club. i don't see a huge difference between rotherham and cardiff in terms of improving him as a player.

Junior
15/08/2003, 7:51 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
i honestly don't see how it will affect his chances at all, he's still playing football with a mid-table at best first division club. i don't see a huge difference between rotherham and cardiff in terms of improving him as a player.

Agreed, although Cardiff IMO seem to have the potential to become a premiership club, large fanbase, adventurous Chairman in Hamman, etc...

Remember, Fulham were playing 2nd division football not that long ago!!

yur man
15/08/2003, 12:10 PM
strange how cardiff, swansea and wrexham are allowed to play in the english league :confused:

Greenbod
15/08/2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by yur man
strange how cardiff, swansea and wrexham are allowed to play in the english league :confused:

Yes. It's something I always wonder about when objections are raised to Celtic and Rangers joining the Premiership. It seems inconsistent. Also I thing Berwick Rangers (an English club) play in the Scottish leagues... and then there is Derry (not being political but they are in NI). Does anybody know what the official UEFA line is on these anomolies.

Plastic Paddy
15/08/2003, 1:24 PM
Originally posted by Greenbod
Yes. It's something I always wonder about when objections are raised to Celtic and Rangers joining the Premiership. It seems inconsistent. Also I thing Berwick Rangers (an English club) play in the Scottish leagues... and then there is Derry (not being political but they are in NI). Does anybody know what the official UEFA line is on these anomolies.

That the Welsh clubs mentioned play in the English league and Berwick in the Scottish league is due to "grandfather rights", i.e. they were established in domestic competition with their chosen FA when UEFA established firm rules on clubs competing in other countries' domestic competitions (the four "Home" Associations retaining separate status in FIFA, despite being part of one political entity).

On the question of Derry, UEFA take the view that "exceptional circumstances" prevent the club from competing in their domestic competition, and thus they are allowed to compete in those of a neighbouring FA.

FIFA and UEFA use the same principle of "exceptional circumstances" to place Israeli clubs and the national side in European competitions.

:D PP

pete
19/08/2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Junior
...adventurous Chairman in Hamman, etc...

Yeah being "adventurous" will get you a 5 year ban from english football matches.

:eek: