PDA

View Full Version : Champions league

Greenbod
14/08/2003, 10:07 AM
Ireland will have it's largest representation ever in the Champions league this season with Given, O'Brien, O'Shea and Duff and Miller all likely to take part.

Great start last night with Given and Duff producing man of the match performances.

Looks like Celtic will represent us in the group stages too!!;)

NigeSausagepump
14/08/2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Greenbod

Looks like Celtic will represent us in the group stages too!!;)

:o

brine2
14/08/2003, 12:06 PM
Ireland will have it's largest representation ever in the Champions league this season with Given, O'Brien, O'Shea and Duff and Miller all likely to take part.

ahem ahem, aren't you forgetting somebody, ahem ahem

Dodge
14/08/2003, 12:10 PM
Don't think he is... ;)

Greenbod
14/08/2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by brine2

ahem ahem, aren't you forgetting somebody, ahem ahem

No. I'm talking about players who represent their country.

wws
14/08/2003, 12:27 PM
actually that touches on one interesting point......for silvio dante and his dublin united argument is presumably based around the fact (that he said) the best irish players wouldnt have to go abroad - laudable in itself but if when you examine the hard facts tthat the "best irish" players who do go cross channel to make a living wouldnt even comprise of 11 players at CL level and not even half that at a serious latter stages level than its obvious he's taslking through his hole

Ireland in reality doesnt produce the nuimbers of top quality footballers that ppl think, we have rare gems like McGrath, Keane, Osam and Duff but basically theyre the exception not the norm....the rest are just journeymen pros who will never play with the best at the the really top level

interesting eh?

Greenbod
14/08/2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by wws

interesting eh?

Not really. I don't really understand what point your trying to make. Only three teams from England (the country where most of the best Irish players tend to go to) qualify for the Champions league. Obviously not all the players who go abroad can play for these three teams. There would be no room for anybody else for starters. Other Irish players would not be out of place in the Champions league (Keane, Finnan, Carr, Reid). They just happen to play for clubs that didn't qualify.

You seem to be saying most Irish players are crap, the best one's go abroad, so the Eircom league is really crap. That's the only point I can glean from your post.

wws
14/08/2003, 12:52 PM
no, im saying we dont have 11 top cl players and never have ...

im talking about the top class

if we did they'd be playing for teh top european clubs

Greenbod
14/08/2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by wws
no, im saying we dont have 11 top cl players and never have ...

im talking about the top class

if we did they'd be playing for teh top european clubs

How many countries do have 11 "top class" champions league players?

A face
14/08/2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by wws
we have rare gems like McGrath, Keane, Osam and Duff

interesting eh?

And you include Osam in that lot ..... ahhmmm ... i'd say not. :rolleyes:

wws
14/08/2003, 12:56 PM
i cantg explain now but i think uve a dose of the "we're a top class football nation" disease

A face
14/08/2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by wws
i cantg explain now but i think uve a dose of the "we're a top class football nation" disease

Gibberish .................. sort it out man ..... what are you saying ??

Greenbod
14/08/2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by wws

Can you post anything you can explain?

wws
14/08/2003, 1:37 PM
ok ok

are you telling me we're capable of churning out the top class cl players from this country.

cop on lads, until recently many argued keane was our only world class player (noty an argument I'd concur with but by and large there aint a whole lot of others)

wws
14/08/2003, 1:39 PM
i should also explain that this should be in reply to silivios dublin united argument...which he makes in several threads so it may be not be making much sense to you two here

wws
14/08/2003, 2:16 PM
RBK are the polar opposite of what im talking about, sure the americans can put rosenberg on the moon, but if they cant win through the group theres not much point to them in my view (which - i may add they WILL be beaten by depor)

the point im making is that they are not TOP class, and never will be and niether will Dublin United idea in theory or in practice we simply dont produce that amount of home grown talent, it does not exist to the level you aspire

Greenbod
14/08/2003, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by wws
RBK are the polar opposite of what im talking about, sure the americans can put rosenberg on the moon, but if they cant win through the group theres not much point to them in my view (which - i may add they WILL be beaten by depor)

the point im making is that they are not TOP class, and never will be and niether will Dublin United idea in theory or in practice we simply dont produce that amount of home grown talent, it does not exist to the level you aspire

WWS, there are people here who will tell you we would have won the World cup if it were not for our manager.

The way you're talking we should all just give up, pack our bags and go home (another WC analogy!). No point aspiring to anything is there.

Well I for one will enjoy watching our boys (and our bhoys;) in the champions league.

wws
14/08/2003, 2:56 PM
thats kind of ironic when you think about the logic in silivio dantes anti el posts

wws
14/08/2003, 3:06 PM
cause by your logic we should all just pack in our clubs cause we're not as good as the best in europe

think about it

Dodge
14/08/2003, 3:21 PM
But to amalgamate them, would destropy them. And unless the new club is called St. Patrick's Athletic I don't wanna know...

Peadar
14/08/2003, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
Amaslgamate them.

And what Domestic League would this magical, mystical team play in? Would you like Ireland to have a National League like Norway were the same team has won it for 11 years on the trot?
Or a league like Scotland where two icons or bigotry and sectarian hate share the league honours for decades?
Have you actually thought this through?

Junior
14/08/2003, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
I refer you to Rosenburg once again. In the last 10 years they have achieved regular CL group stage football with virtual unknowns who were able to stay in Norway because the will was there to make Norwegian domestic football something to be reckoned with.,

A side issue, but does anyone here think its a tad unfair that Rosenborg had to play 2 CL qualifiers despite playing in the CL nearly every year since it started (if not every year!)?

Greenbod
14/08/2003, 5:26 PM
Originally posted by Junior
A side issue, but does anyone here think its a tad unfair that Rosenborg had to play 2 CL qualifiers despite playing in the CL nearly every year since it started (if not every year!)?

Yes, but they only had to play Bohs so it doesn't really matter:D

tiktok
14/08/2003, 6:15 PM
Originally posted by Junior

not at all, and 'Dublin United' would end up having to do exactly the same. Because regardless of how good RBK are, the rest of the Norwegian league is rubbish, let's be clear on that, they've all been left far behind by RBK. The have a pretty good support and structures in place (mostly govt. money), but RBK's success has not given them a brass cent.

UEFA coefficients dictate where you lie, and rosenborg are the only team who ever earn credits for norway. secondly, for all the success that's claimed, they've only made the second group stage once, despite having had eleven consecutive shots at it.

and RBK doesn't support Silvio's point anyway, because no-one amalgamated to form Rosenborg, they got heavily bankrolled by a few investors (norwegians who were more interested in their domestic league than a foreign one...maybe that's where the lesson can be earned, Dermot Desmond, JP McManus), they were given enough funds to hang onto a crop of young players who would otherwise have gone abroad. they qualified for the CL once, got a few points, a lot of cash, pumped it into the team and the stadium and the cycle continued.

Junior
15/08/2003, 7:58 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
not at all, and 'Dublin United' would end up having to do exactly the same. Because regardless of how good RBK are, the rest of the Norwegian league is rubbish, let's be clear on that, they've all been left far behind by RBK. The have a pretty good support and structures in place (mostly govt. money), but RBK's success has not given them a brass cent.

UEFA coefficients dictate where you lie, and rosenborg are the only team who ever earn credits for norway. secondly, for all the success that's claimed, they've only made the second group stage once, despite having had eleven consecutive shots at it.

and RBK doesn't support Silvio's point anyway, because no-one amalgamated to form Rosenborg, they got heavily bankrolled by a few investors (norwegians who were more interested in their domestic league than a foreign one...maybe that's where the lesson can be earned, Dermot Desmond, JP McManus), they were given enough funds to hang onto a crop of young players who would otherwise have gone abroad. they qualified for the CL once, got a few points, a lot of cash, pumped it into the team and the stadium and the cycle continued.

1) Injection of Money - well isn't that football? hardly reason to penalise them, any club wanting to be successful pretty much has to have serious cash injection.

2) It still seems unfair, the fact that despite playing in the Group stages for 11 years, they have tougher qualifying than say a 4th based side in England, (I know the english league is better, coefficients etc...) it just seems unfair to me.

tiktok
15/08/2003, 3:32 PM
1) i never said they should be penalised for having funds, fair play for getting the investment and using it wisely to ensure the club remains successful. i was more saying that because of this amalgamation idea silvio is floating would not be neccessary of people like dermot desmond and JP McManus stopped bankrolling foreign teams and invested in irish clubs instead.

2) it is a fair point that the champions of a country should have an easier qualifying path than the fourth place team of another nation in the 'champions' league. in that light i guess it is unfair.