PDA

View Full Version : Message to Ireland Supporters

FourFiveOne
13/08/2003, 6:21 PM
From John Barrington:
---------------------------
Subject: Booing

Can you bring this statement to the attention of as many as possible. With next week's game against Australia the prospect of this form of behaviour is likely to raise it's ugly head as the Socceroo's have a number of Rangers players in their travelling party. At the last two games eL fans attempted to drown out the booing and perhaps we can do the same on Tuesday night.

Thanks
JB

FAI avoids UEFA disciplinary action

Rooney says racist based booing must stop

Dublin, August 13th

Fran Rooney, FAI CEO, has called for supporter power to come into play to eradicate racist-based treatment of players at football matches. "With the fantastic support given by the vast majority of our fans, I would call on everyone who attends our games to exercise their influence on the small minority of so called fans who engage in racist based booing", he said.

The call comes in the wake of UEFA's decision to investigate the booing of Shota Arveladze by a minority of the spectators at Lansdowne Road during the recent game against Georgia. As part of the investigation UEFA asked the FAI to respond to the complaint.

In its response, the FAI told UEFA that the Association unequivocally condemns all forms of racist behaviour and that these sentiments had been expressed in the match programme, that the CEO condemned the behaviour of the section of the fans in the media and that the Manager's programme comments also condemned such behaviour.

The response also pointed out that Mr Rooney personally made contact with Mr Arveladze on the day following the game, to apologise for the behaviour of the minority of fans who had engaged in the booing.

The FAI subsequently received correspondence from the Georgian FA expressing their deep appreciation of the FAI's handling of their visit.

The UEFA delegate at Lansdowne Road was also satisfied overall with what was an excellent atmosphere at the game.

In view of the above UEFA decided not to take disciplinary action against the FAI following an investigation by the Control and Disciplinary Body (of UEFA) into the booing.

Speaking today Mr Rooney said, "the booing on a racist basis must stop before we find ourselves sanctioned by UEFA which can ultimately only have a negative impact on our own team. The tremendous reputation of the Irish supporters is in danger of being tarnished by the behaviour of some people at our recent games. We need to generate a wider awareness of this as an
issue in football and clearly indicate that it is unacceptable, unwarranted and unhelpful", he added.

"We need to create greater peer pressure and the fans need to understand the consequences of this type of behaviour in order to eradicate it completely", Mr Rooney said.

A face
13/08/2003, 6:42 PM
Sell-Thick fans are ídiots.

UEFA will press to play all games behind closed doors because of the fóols.

Who can defend their actions now and say they care about Irish football aswell.

No one is the answer.

tiktok
13/08/2003, 9:56 PM
so that's Brian Kerr and the FAI publicly coming out against booing of Rangers playing.

it's been made clear by the association that further booing will have implications for the FAI, let's see if the idiots actually take any notice.

at least this should give those who stood silent on other occasions more incentive the shout these morons down.

NigeSausagepump
14/08/2003, 10:18 AM
The best news is that the stewards have been instructed to locate the boo-boys (Tip - They are the ones in the Celtic tops) and "deal" with them.

I'll have no problem in pointing out to them any vacuous tosser near me who boos.

NigeSausagepump
14/08/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
There'll be a place for you in the Rangers Hall of Fame in a few years....:D

Like big Niall Quinn, I would be only too happy to receive such a prestigious honour from our friends across the water.:)

pete
14/08/2003, 12:52 PM
Be good idea to have a pre-arranged chant for the eL section to start off with when/if any booing detected...?

Maybe use an obvious simple chant for the ole ole-ers too?

Casegrande
14/08/2003, 1:00 PM
Or a couple of banners welcoming Moore and Muscat?
Or "BIGOTS OUT"

Estar
14/08/2003, 1:30 PM
apply to rejoin the Commonwealth

Rep. of Ireland was never part of the Commonwealth:p

The booings got to stop, what are kids going to think. The gardai can arrest people under the public order act (I know any civilised country shound not have an act like this but..), why don't they do their job.

Estar
14/08/2003, 2:15 PM
What are the kids going to think ???? Please.....

you're right their only kids after all and our future :( How do I apply to become a boo boy? I know you can only get the forms in Glasgow:p

wws
14/08/2003, 2:53 PM
and Tommy was right!

wot if roy keane was treated to a dose of his cynicism from schoolboy/youths and fai coaches when he was nothing!

say wot u like but thats where players come from even roy keane!

Estar
14/08/2003, 3:47 PM
You remind me of Tommy Gorman in the Roy Keane interview when Gorman fought through the tears and pleaded with Roy "what about the kids....?"

Hilarious....:D

I don't think Roy has anything to do with the booing.

Do you think the Booing is Hilarious?, wiil you be disappointed when the booing stops?

Mayo_Bhoy
14/08/2003, 4:00 PM
As an Ireland and Celtic fan I am sick to the teeth of these morons who debase the good name of both sets of fans with their antics. Don’t get me wrong at an OF game anything goes as far I’m concerned goes no more than an Ireland/England game but to single a single player out because of the religious/political sentiments of that club’s supporters is pathetic.

The Irish national team is not an extension of Celtic nor is Celtic an extension of Ireland, no matter what the more intellectually challenged fans might think. Of course there is a close affinity between the two for historical reasons and the fans share much in common but please lads they are two different teams. Do ye really think that Lovenkrands or Averladze et al are going to rethink their careers because they got booed by a minority of the crowd in a foreign country while playing for their country. They must just laugh at our childishness.

I had hoped to go Tuesday but as it would necessitate another day off my holidays which I need for Swiss trip and Turkey game and possible play off, I thought feck it, going up to be embarrassed and shamed by these juveniles. Have given my tickets to an Aussie mate who is bringing his football mad son. He himself has no interest in football and I dread having to try and explain to him why single players who had done nothing wrong were being treated so badly.

BTW what'sso wrong with wearing Celtic jerseys to irish games??
OK so they are not an Irish club but an awful lot of Irish fans, if not fans of theirs have a soft spot for them whether you like it or not. I have never being given grief over wearing my Irish or Mayo jersey to Parkhead.

wws
14/08/2003, 4:05 PM
Roy Keane was and still is the standard bearer for professional standards in this country and at Old Trafford and if the muppet McCarthy applied those standards to his squad we'd be world beaters.

The last thing Roy should have to put up with is a whining Tommy Gorman asking him "but what about the kids(sob) Roy...."

Pathetic....

so you agree with me that if roy keane takes issue with the professional standards of our other top players based in eng than it is simply not feasible that this country could sustain a single club with top class home produced players? ie ure dub united idea?

think about it

wws
14/08/2003, 4:09 PM
You're missing my point. You ask in desperation What about the kids as if hearing a Rangers player being booed will mentally scar them for life. Booing is part and parcel of football. Its no biggie....

actually as a football fan ure last line is the one that really p!sses me off about this debate

Booing is not part and parcel of football

a true football reaction would be to come up with some hilarious and tuneful anti rangers chant or song

booing bad deceisions and poor sportsmanship are the only times booing is normal at football (and even than I think its stupid)

if its actually a prolonged club thing than it shows astonishing lack of terrace originality on behalf of the celt fans and offers conclusive proof that the irish version of the celtic bandwagon are not real football fans

tiktok
14/08/2003, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by Mayo_Bhoy
BTW what'sso wrong with wearing Celtic jerseys to irish games??

not a thing IMO. it's green and white (two of our tricolours colours, don't think we'll be getting any orange into it though :) )
and i'd love to see landsdowne covered in green instead of grey three piece suits.

the rest of you post was spot on Mayo_Bhoy, it's important to make the clear distinction between club and country and point out how pathetic this booing really is.

hopefully, Kerr and Rooney coming out against it, and giving the Stewards the option to eject people from the grounds will stamp this out early. it's already gone too far.