PDA

View Full Version : Your fav Dublin watering hole

Sugargirl
13/08/2003, 12:01 PM
Just wanted a few tips for my nxt trip.
My fav in my experience of Dublin is The Oliver St. John Gogarty's on Fleet Street.
Does anyone know it?

Sugargirl
13/08/2003, 12:45 PM
hmm.. people dont like talking about pubs then:confused:

Neil
13/08/2003, 12:48 PM
people dont like talking about Dublin

James
13/08/2003, 12:49 PM
or maybe theres no good watering holes in dublin :D

NigeSausagepump
13/08/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Sugargirl
My fav in my experience of Dublin is The Oliver St. John Gogarty's on Fleet Street.
Does anyone know it?

Yeah,
It's a hellhole full of Essex stag parties. Wouldn't go near it personally.

James
13/08/2003, 12:52 PM
oh and i've just thought of my fav dublin watering hole
Tolka Park any time it rains .. remember the pic doing the rounds with the ducks swimming on tolka park .

:cool:

Macy
13/08/2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
Yeah,
It's a hellhole full of Essex stag parties. Wouldn't go near it personally.
Have to agree - only place worth visiting in Temple Bar is the Palace.....
My favorite used to be the 51 - but now it's been poncified like nearly every Dublin pub (certainly all of them around Baggot Street anyway)..... Moving out of the smoke at the end of the month, and frankly the done up 51 has made the move far easier, so role on pints at least a euro cheaper in the country.....

James
13/08/2003, 1:05 PM
but if i had to name some then here goes

Whelans for gigs

Fagans/Doyle/McDowells for soccer matches

TP Smiths - any other occassio.. nice food, pint is ok..just watch out for the winding staircase ..can be a killer after a few pints like
bar that i'd stay as far out of the pale as possible

Peadar
13/08/2003, 1:10 PM
The Oliver St. John Gogarty's on Fleet Street.
Does anyone know it?

You can't beat the Auld Dubliner. It's next to O St. J Gogarty's.
There's a Tapas Bar on Middle Abbey St./Liffey St.
The staff in there are very good and you often get a abit of Jazz in the evening. The Porter House on Parliment St is great for selection of obsucre beers.
Slattery's or Jack Nealons on Capel St. are fairly good too.
Brazen Head on Bridge St. is good with a crowd.
Across the road is O'Shea's Merchant. It's full of Kerry people if you can tolerate that it's ok.
The Hairy Lemon Stepehens St. (I think), is fairly good.
Thomas Reads on Dame St. is nice.
Messers Maguire on Burgh Quay is good.
O'Reillys on Tara St. is good (under the Dart Station)
Pravda on Liffey St. (I think) is good when full.
Ron Black's on Dawson St. is a séxy bar the customers tend to be very pretentious.
For a St. Pats game, McDowells is the best.
For a Bohs game, Doyles is good.
For a Shels game Fagans is the best.
McGraths on Drumcondra Rd. is good before GAA in Croker. (Near Quinns)

max power
13/08/2003, 1:12 PM
i gig in temple bar and oliver john gogartys gets the crowd that the bouncers won't let in anywhere else, its an over priced hole.

as of september my local is going to be in inchicore so any suggestions for a decent pint.

James
13/08/2003, 1:41 PM
jeeze yea forgot

The barge - Cork GAA pub .. excellent craic the night before any match in croke park

max power
13/08/2003, 1:44 PM
barge = people drinking outside trying to look cool = ****s

pravda = posers

porter house = words fail me on this place

messer mcguire = student nurses mmmmmmmmm

Macy
13/08/2003, 1:55 PM
Where else in Dublin would you get space outside in the sun other than the Barge? You'd have to be very early to get seats in the excellent Dicey Rielly's beer garden.....

Conor - you're a bit harsh on Thomas Reeds, Downstairs on a Friday and Saturday is excellent (and a totally different atmosphere to upstairs)...

Porterhouse is extremely overrated....

Worst place has got to be the Portobello - the DJ's sh!te...

max power
13/08/2003, 2:00 PM
you got that right macy, ever since the end of march the dj's in there are very bad, they won't pay the money so the main guy wink wink, left for a better paid gig.

you are breaking the law by sitting on the canal at the barge drinking and so are the pub by allowing you to exit the premises with your drink.

SÓC
13/08/2003, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
You only omitted Zanzibar and the Barge and you'd have a list of places I hate in Dublin!

Ahhh Conor, how could you hate Zanzibar? It's one of the better of the meat market/park & ride places around.

From what I've heard if you like your stout the Porthouse is a good place to go, they've got Erdinger and Hoergaarden there tho which makes it worth the visit.

Peadar
13/08/2003, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Hell on earth

I want a detailed report of why the Tapas Bar is "Hell on earth".
Have you ever even been there ya Jackie Healy-Rae lover?

Peadar
13/08/2003, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
From what I've heard if you like your stout the Porthouse is a good place to go

That it is.
Hence my description "great for selection of obsucre beers."
I never said it had the best atmosphere in town but if you like your beer it can't be beat.

I think Conor is rating places by what his missus thinks.
Be a man and rate a pub by its beer not the seats and toilets.

NigeSausagepump
13/08/2003, 3:08 PM
The title of the most authentic Dublin watering hole must go to CopperFaced Jacks hands down.

I think we can all agree that it's a hole.

If you stand near the downstairs bar when it's particularly jointed, you will almost invariably see one of the fine patrons relieving himself against the counter, hence the watering.

After seeing that, you'll smile when the DJ plays "It's Raining Men".

Macy
13/08/2003, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
That it is.
Hence my description "great for selection of obsucre beers."
I never said it had the best atmosphere in town but if you like your beer it can't be beat.

I think Conor is rating places by what his missus thinks.
Be a man and rate a pub by its beer not the seats and toilets.
But the porter in there is sh!t, even compared to Murphy's let alone Guinness....

Peadar
13/08/2003, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by Macy
even compared to Murphy's let alone Guinness....

If you prefer Guinness to Murphy's you can hardly expect your opinion on porter (stout) to be taken seriously Macy!

Schumi
13/08/2003, 3:16 PM
Guinness is nicer than Murphy's everywhere but in Cork. In Cork I would drink Murphy's due to the low quality of Guinness there but a good Dublin pint of Guinness is the best.

James
13/08/2003, 3:52 PM
conor: you're gay biy

niamh
14/08/2003, 1:26 PM
Does anyone know it?

The Oliver S. J G is always too packed and over priced.

Thomas Reads downstairs at Weekends is good as mentioned.
TP Smiths on Jervis is a great pub...pint has gone up in recent weeks though
Bruxelles downstairs on one of the streets off Grafton Street
The pub under Tara Dart station is kewl inside but prices are a bit on the steep side.
My local though was the Viscount in Whitehall...sound locals. Nice pint most of the time though never have Guiness if de old fella with de glasses is serving...

b_mcsweeney
21/08/2003, 5:01 PM
fagans in drumcondra is nice (as mentioned), if you're out that way. in town, mcturkles and messrs aren't bad, and keoghs off grafton street is pretty nice. if you're talking about slightly left-field, old man pubs you have to try kennedys on georges quay (near tara street station). its unbelievable. the bathrooms really have to be seen to be believed. and apparently, or so the story goes, the lads who own it put an out of order sign on the womens bathroom most of the time, cos they don't want women drinking in there! nice beer though.