PDA

View Full Version : Choose one goal to be inserted into a game...

osarusan
06/06/2008, 1:42 PM
I was having this discussion with a friend of mine recently, a Liverpudlian, but a rabid Everton supporter. We were choosing a game, one game each, where we could insert a goal into a game and influence (basically change completely) the result.

He chose 1989 FA Cup final against Liverpool, and inserted another goal just after Stuart McCall's last minute equaliser.

I was torn (and still am torn) between a last minute equaliser for Ireland against the Dutch in 1988, and a last minute winner equaliser for Limerick against UCD in a play-off first leg in Belfield about 10 years ago (although we might have lost the second leg anyway).

Your choices?

jebus
06/06/2008, 1:52 PM
Limerick scoring a goal to give us a 1-0 first leg victory over Derry in the play-offs a few seasons back. Defending that lead tooth and nail might have changed the course of the return leg

Ash
06/06/2008, 1:53 PM
Things are that bleak @ The Wollen that I'd be happy with any Athlone goal
to be honest (excluding own goals like the 2 that sunk us against Longford!!!)

superfrank
06/06/2008, 2:58 PM
One in the '94 WC final, it was terrible.

micls
06/06/2008, 3:02 PM
3rd round of the Intertoto in 2004. City playing Nantes. Losing 3-1 from the away leg. Needed to win 2-0. All over them and scored. Hit the bar and then Nantes went and scored at the other end to go through.

The one that hit the bar, if that had gone in I think we'd have held on.

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 3:18 PM
Ireland going 1-0 up against italy in Rome 1990 WC we had them on the rack until toto scored

Sesp
06/06/2008, 11:36 PM
2 spring to mind.

1) A goal for Ireland in extra-time against Spain (2002) when we had them by the cojones but lacked the ambition/discipline (whatever) to kill them off.

2) A last-minute equaliser against Holland in '88. Aldridge could have made up for his earlier skied volley by netting it. I can hear George Hamilton now - "Galvin in a bit of space on the left. Swings one in dangerously. Aldridge! John Aldridge sends Ireland into dreamland!".

Sigh...

tetsujin1979
06/06/2008, 11:47 PM
I'd really like to add a last minute winner against England at Wembley in 1991. We'd have topped the group, and gone to Euro '92 with that team in its prime.

Sesp
06/06/2008, 11:53 PM
I'd really like to add a last minute winner against England at Wembley in 1991. We'd have topped the group, and gone to Euro '92 with that team in its prime.

Good choice. Ray Houghton came pretty close as I recall. We'd have done well in 92 too. The competition was wide open.

superfrank
07/06/2008, 9:42 AM
1) A goal for Ireland in extra-time against Spain (2002) when we had them by the cojones but lacked the ambition/discipline (whatever) to kill them off.
Spain spanked us for the entirety of that game, iirc. They had two or three goals ruled out for offside and if we hadn't been awarded two penalties, we wouldn't have any other chance to win.

Dodge
07/06/2008, 10:29 AM
Martin Reilly's shot with ten minutes to go in Celtic Park to be a foot to the right giving Pats a 1-0 victory

Hibs4Ever
07/06/2008, 10:52 AM
Martin Reilly's shot with ten minutes to go in Celtic Park to be a foot to the right giving Pats a 1-0 victory

+1 (and a deserved 1-0 victory at that)

Sesp
07/06/2008, 1:37 PM
Spain spanked us for the entirety of that game, iirc. They had two or three goals ruled out for offside and if we hadn't been awarded two penalties, we wouldn't have any other chance to win.

That may be (somewhat) true, but by extra time there was only one team in it. If we'd been more composed, disciplined and ambitious the game would never have gone to penalties.

stojkovic
08/06/2008, 5:46 PM
The best goal in football is always the next one.

Seano
08/06/2008, 7:22 PM
2 spring to mind.

2) A last-minute equaliser against Holland in '88. Aldridge could have made up for his earlier skied volley by netting it. I can hear George Hamilton now - "Galvin in a bit of space on the left. Swings one in dangerously. Aldridge! John Aldridge sends Ireland into dreamland!".

Sigh...

The volley was against USSR, but I'm sure you meant that

rambler14
08/06/2008, 7:31 PM
Ian Harte's penalty vs Spain in the 2002 World Cup. It would have saved the nightmare of losing on penalties as we would have won 2-1 courtesy of 2 penalties.:D
Even Kilbanes re-bound going in would have done for me!

TonyD
08/06/2008, 9:38 PM

Christ yeah. Good call. (Though I doubt we'd have gone through over 2 legs anyway.) The one that sprang to my mind immediately was Eddie Gormley to score the penalty for Pats in the 1996 Cup Final replay at Dalymount. In all probability we'd have won the double (and knocked about 10 years off our cup hoodoo as well.)

Dodge
09/06/2008, 10:55 AM
Christ yeah. Good call. (Though I doubt we'd have gone through over 2 legs anyway.) The one that sprang to my mind immediately was Eddie Gormley to score the penalty for Pats in the 1996 Cup Final replay at Dalymount. In all probability we'd have won the double (and knocked about 10 years off our cup hoodoo as well.)

Well if I was allowed 2...