PDA

View Full Version : things must be bad again

joeSoap
13/08/2003, 8:56 AM
financially because I heard yesterday that the team are travelling
in cars to Longford for the cup tie. Thats a great way to prepare
for a fixture that could determine your very future existence. Its gonna be a 2 1/2 hour trip by car to Longford, and they'll all be cramped up in cars and some of them are even gonna have to drive themselves. Surely a couple of hundred for a bus isn't going to kill them....or maybe it is!!!

SodacakeFC
13/08/2003, 10:11 AM
Ideal opportunity for the supporters club.
The club could recoup some funds by getting a coach and selling seats to fans.
All this has been done in the past.
It would create a great vibe and any real fan would love to be on that coach.
What about a sposorship deal. Limerick cannot be going to the FAI cup in a fleet of cars.
A fleet of cars behind the coach yes but surely not back of a car.

joeSoap
13/08/2003, 10:35 AM
There already is a SC bus, but I was told reliably that the team management would not be happy with the players travelling on the same bus as the fans. I can understand it too, I guess. What I can't understand is this: Its going to average €20-€25 per car in petrol etc to get to Longford. Thats five-6 cars travelling, ergo the cost being €120-€150. A small coach costs €300, so for the sake of €150 or so, the clubs chances of progressing in the one and only tournament where we can make a few bob are being seriously scuppered. We all saw what happened in Dundalk that night after a loborious drive...well 2.5-3 hours in cars going to Longford will be almost as exhausting as that excursion, and we'll be up against a far superior side than Dundalk...but what the hell do I know??

LFC in Exile
13/08/2003, 1:04 PM
This really is a joke. I think the team have been travelling to all away matches in cars (?). But this is an important game and small things should be got right. I wonder have the committe asked one put in town or one shop or whatever if they would pay 200 euros for a bus to the game. They seem to want people to come to them with money and sponsorships without asking for it.

They don't want fans travelling with the team? Fair enough but its more imporatnt that 5 or 6 of the players don't have to drive 7 hours round trip and play a game in between. As well as driving at night on the way back....

Would the SC consider paying for a bus for the team? A separate one if the funds are there. Or else subsidising one. Add a few euros to th cost of going on their bus to fund one for the team. Maybe the coach company would give a better deal taking two coaches that taking one?

The whole thing is just a joke though.

joeSoap
13/08/2003, 1:21 PM
The whole thing is indeed farsical. Its descended right back down to panic stations point again, and there is no conceivable way out of it under the current regime. They have to go, all of them. There has to be a revolution:) of sorts because this can't go on. Our 'semi-professional' footballers, from the third largest city in the country, the biggest sporting city in Europe (arguably) have to get a fleet of cars to drive them to the biggest game of the season. Pathetic...and its gonna get worse...we're a joke, only its not a funny one!!

maineman
13/08/2003, 10:13 PM
I must say if this is true it's a joke,not the first time they had to do this the last time the s.c took the bus to bray did'nt they travel in cars aswell how embarrasing was that.Without doubt there biggest game so far this season and surely for this game anyway the club could find a way of raising the funds for a bus.In my opinion the supporters club should not pay for the bus for the players we are already spending hard earned cash following the team and to see some of the things that are going on and this surely is pathetic a discrace the team having to travel in cars.

SodacakeFC
14/08/2003, 9:14 AM
The question must be asked why does the committee not wanr Supporters on the coach. I have travell in the past on team buses. Big Sam never had a problem and I recall one excellent day out at Tolka when several supportes travelled up on a Friday night. The team had their scrambled egg and team briefing in a local hotel whilst we all went off for a nice stroll. The only prob was Ally Dawson skinned us at cards on the way down.

Friends and family of committee members have travelled on team coaches in the past.

I cannot understand this new rule. Chrisake even Jack allowed lads who were stuck on the team bus.

I am sure the players would not object, or is the committe barring this option.

joeSoap
14/08/2003, 9:20 AM
I'd imagine that a decision like this comes solely from the team management and not the committee, but I'd agree with it. Given the current situation in the club, theres bound to be speculation from fans on the bus about something or other, and if the players, committee and fans are all on the one bus there could be a little friction.
Back in Big Sams day it was different..the atmosphere was good, everything was well organised, and the club wasn't really in the mire like it is now. If todays circumstances were the same as those, then I'd agree with you 100%.

Krusty The Mon
16/08/2003, 8:35 AM
Seeing as we won't be needing our luxury team bus this weekend maybe we could give yis the lend of it, do anything to help our fellow man that's us.;)