PDA

View Full Version : When Did You make your Debut

Pages : [1] 2

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 9:28 AM
I Don't know if this has been done before. If it has then :o

I'm sure we all remember the first time we saw our clubs in action and feeling it gave us so, I've started this thread to give everyone the chance to relate to the rest of us what it was about your club or the match that hooked you and kept you coming back

I'll Start with my first Bohs game.
The FAI cup saga between Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers in 1994 has probably been the single biggest "Event" in recent LOI history, In media terms anyway. The first 2 games had ended in draws and so it was back to Dalymount for a 2nd replay,the sports pages of the papers and the radio were full of talk of this epic encounter and I'd been supporting "The Bohs" for about a year, as one of my Da's drinking buddies was Dave Henderson (Bohs Keeper and Legend) but had yet to venture to a game. I'd been to Anfield for the first time that year and had seen Hendo and Derek Swan in action for the enemy against both Celtic and Man City a couple of years previously aswell as uncountable Ireland Internationals at Dalymount and Lansdowne, however nothing could have prepared me for the life changing day that was to come.
A friend from school (and now regular Bohs co-attendee)knew I kept an eye out for Bohs results & suggested that we head down to Dalymount to see what all this hype was about. So we boarded the 38 bus and off we went. on arriving in phibsboro and seeing the floodlights illuminated the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end in much the same way as they had when I reached the Shankley gates a few months earlier.on entering the shed I was gobsmacked the place was packed (I seem the recall the official attendance as 13,000 it felt like 10 times that many.)I dont remember too much about the game itself just that we won 1-0 I think it was Tony Cousins that scored but it could easily have been Derek Swan, it made no difference to me as the only player on the pitch I recognised was Hendo...it was all new to me. What I do remember and will take with me to the Grave was the chants and the banter and TBH the raw hatred towards the Rovers. thats what hooked me I spent as much time laughing at the fantastic chants of the Bohs faithfull as I did watching the match (I was a very Impressionable 13 year old at the time)
a favorite was Molly Malone chanting not cockles and muscles but the Boez the Boez. By the second half I had picked up most of the words even if I didn't get the meaning (not been too familiar with rovers and Miltown or the various lineage of the Players) I vividly remember turning to my mate and saying, what have we been missing !! hardly able to believe that this had been going on every friday only a few miles down the road from home.
And so it was that BGR Fell in Love for the first time not with the girl next door(that was a few months away, and incidently we got back together after a 10 year break in 2005) but with 11 men from Phibsboro.
we went back the following week to see Boh's v Limerick City (iirc) to be quite dissapointed, where a week previously there had been 7 or 8,000 packed into the shed now stood 2/300 diehards I didn't care I sang my heart out for the lads because you know what? This is where I belonged, in the wind and the rain not walking alone but singing my heart out with my brethren for my home town Club ..........I've never been back to Anfield after that and probably never will

GuisaSaigon
06/06/2008, 9:59 AM
Galway United V Glasgow Celtic, June 1986. Packie Bonner vs Dennis Bonner We lost 2-0 but I was hooked.

Rocky77
06/06/2008, 10:01 AM
We beat Drogheda 2-0 in the Cup in Mullologher in 1995, Stefan Butner scored both goals.

Imagine my delight to see him score in last season's competiton too - an OG for Bray against St Mochtas.

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 10:04 AM
We beat Drogheda 2-0 in the Cup in Mullologher in 1995, Stefan Butner scored both goals.

Imagine my delight to see him score in last season's competiton too - an OG for Bray against St Mochtas.

I was hoping that ye might elaborate on what hooked you and kept you coming back or on what inspired you to go in the first place, hopefully a barstooler or 3 might stumble across this thread and decide to take a trip to their local club

superfrank
06/06/2008, 10:34 AM
Well, I remember hearing about the 1990 cup final cos my dad and my older brother went to it and it was a proud time for the town.

I remember watching the epic 1999 final and nearly having a nervours breakdown every match. I can still remember Jayo controlling, turning and scoring to make it 2-1 in the final game.

The first match I went to was in the 2000/2001 season when was I 12.

I know I went to a few that season but the first I can remember is a 2-2 (possibly 3-3) draw in the Carlisle against Bohs. Tarzan scored a last-minute equaliser in the goal that I was standing behind. It was amazing. It was a great feeling. I can't even describe what it was.

Then I didn't go back for a few years...

ollie
06/06/2008, 10:58 AM
Cork City vs St. Pats in 95 i think it was...it was city's first game back in the cross.
It was 0-0 and was boring enough but I was standing near the shed and the noise and chants from the place was very loud and funny and that was my real memory of the game. It was the shed really that got me to come back and it was after a couple of games that I got into the football. I've been going when I can since about 97.

Rocky77
06/06/2008, 11:11 AM
I was hoping that ye might elaborate on what hooked you and kept you coming back or on what inspired you to go in the first place, hopefully a barstooler or 3 might stumble across this thread and decide to take a trip to their local club

Sorry to disappoint. There was no chorus of angels, no celestial light. I'm from Longford, I support Longford Town. My sense of reason and practicality dictated that.

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 11:13 AM
Sorry to disappoint. There was no chorus of angels, no celestial light. I'm from Longford, I support Longford Town. My sense of reason and practicality dictated that.

Fair enough, If only all Irish "Fans" were are practical as you we'd have full houses and huge stadiums up and down the country

finnpark
06/06/2008, 11:34 AM
Around 1985 I would say, I remember some black guy scoring 3 or 4 goals against waterford in the first division.

Kildare Lad
06/06/2008, 11:57 AM
Kildare County 1-2 Monaghan United, I was 12, had nothing better to do every second saturday night.

Royal rover
06/06/2008, 11:57 AM
mine was the Fai cup 1983 final sligo won - although i don't remember very much , my first proper game that i remember was shamrock rovers v Man united - i think it was 1985 miltown - united had a great side that day - although rovers won the game, it was also the first time Liam O Brien got noticed - he was brillant - i also remember Pat Jennings playing some part in the game i think it might of been a testimonal if anyone could clarify it would be appreciated again i'm not 100% - first big game was ireland v Brazil

sligofan4ever
06/06/2008, 12:15 PM
I never really went too sligo rovers matches until a few years ago but my first match was Sligo Rovers vs Kilkenny City, in the first division, we won 2-0.

Calcio Jack
06/06/2008, 12:21 PM
mine was the Fai cup 1983 final sligo won - although i don't remember very much , my first proper game that i remember was shamrock rovers v Man united - i think it was 1985 miltown - united had a great side that day - although rovers won the game, it was also the first time Liam O Brien got noticed - he was brillant - i also remember Pat Jennings playing some part in the game i think it might of been a testimonal if anyone could clarify it would be appreciated again i'm not 100% - first big game was ireland v Brazil

It was a testimonial for Shay Brennan...Rovers won 2-0 both scored by Mick Byrne, who ran rings
around a useless Kevin Moran

jebus
06/06/2008, 12:31 PM
When Limerick played West Ham for Liam Brady's testimonial, didn't go back til years after that though

Titan
06/06/2008, 12:50 PM
The first LOI game I went to would have been at richmond park in about 1980. I was 8. In those days kids of that age could go to football without being,kidnapped,molested or treated like a hooligan by some over zealous stewards. I lived in Inchicore and I used to go to all the games it was great fun. Afew years later Pats were involved in an 'epic' cup tie with the mighty Athlone Town:confused: and I remember getting off school early one wednesday afternoon so I could go to one of the replays. It finished 2-2 I think but Pats lost the replay. IN 1984 my family moved to crumlin and I started going to Milltown with some school friends. We even went to the away games. I couldnt call myself a supporter of either Pats or Rovers as no doubt certain forum members are already looking down their nose at my judasism! When I was about 18 or so I started refereeing as well as playing and coaching my clubs under 13s so I stopped going to LOI football altogether. About 10 years ago I started going again but just to random games. Then about 4/5 years ago I started working for a sportswear firm which ment I was going to at least a game a week (sometimes 3 or 4) and then last year I went work for UCD so obviously started supporting them. Even though I dont work there anymore I'll continue to support them as I know all the lads.

holidaysong
06/06/2008, 12:52 PM
Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena 2006 against Real Madrid. :)

:confused:

Pre-season friendly in 1994 - Dundalk FC vs. Sheffield Wednesday. The one ticket got you into that, the friendly against Manchester United (my main reason for getting the ticket) and the first three home games of the 1994/5 season. It was a good plan for getting support. :)

forza rovers
06/06/2008, 1:01 PM
my first rovers match was away to monaghan when i was 1 back in 1994
and being going ever since.

amjl
06/06/2008, 1:06 PM
The first ever football match I attended was Blackburn v Everton in the charity shield in 95 in the old Wembly and although “we” were robbed due to a poxy Vinny Samways goal for Everton, but it was an enjoyable experience but it was nothing compared to my first LOI game.

Waterford Utd. V Kilkenny City at the RSC around Christmas during Kilkenny’s title/promotion winning season of 96/97. It was end to end stuff in the local derby and thanks to 2 goals Pascal Keane & 1 from Aidan “The Pocket Rocket” Cooney, we won 3-2. I’ll never forget the banter/abuse with the Waterford lads over their chants “Com’n you Blouse!!” and the buzz around the place even though it was an absolutely freezing cold night & couldn’t even feel my toes. It was from that night I was hooked to following my local team because of the craic we had and the result on that night felt better than Blackburn winning the title in 95!
Needless to say I stopped following Blackburn as I didn’t see the point in “supporting” a team when I don’t ever go to their games or have any connection with.

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 1:09 PM
nice one emil. How are Kilkenny getting on in Junior footie? any hope for a quick return?

drummerboy
06/06/2008, 1:11 PM
First game was Drums V Pats around 1965. Can't remember who won. Best game ever was a Drums defeat to Shels. Losing 5-1 at half time. Fought back to 5-5 all, only for Delargy to score a winner for Shels in last few minutes. Shortly after I remember Leeds coming to Tolka, Kevin Blount saving a peno from Johnny Giles.

Larry 'da' Wyse
06/06/2008, 1:25 PM
Thurles Town 1978 (?) was my 1st LoI game. Pretty amazing to have had that baptism of fire and still be going to games ;-) Stopped off in Athlone for three years before setting up camp in Dalymount.

Dick Long
06/06/2008, 1:37 PM
It was a testimonial for Shay Brennan...Rovers won 2-0 both scored by Mick Byrne, who ran rings around a useless Kevin Moran

Mick Bennett of Waterford United, guesting for Rovers definitely got one of the goals in the Shay Brennan testimonial. Liam O'Brien got the other just before his own move to Old Trafford. I think Mick Byrne scored when Rovers played Manchester United a year or so later.

KR's Post
06/06/2008, 1:51 PM
Cork City vs St. Pats in 95 i think it was...it was city's first game back in the cross.
It was 0-0 and was boring enough but I was standing near the shed and the noise and chants from the place was very loud and funny and that was my real memory of the game. It was the shed really that got me to come back and it was after a couple of games that I got into the football. I've been going when I can since about 97.

Have tape of the highlights of that game at Home. Tony o Donoghue reported in front of the shed.

KR's Post
06/06/2008, 1:53 PM
Against St James Gate in the iveagh ground in 1995. My uncle Tarzan was playing one of his first games and a friends dad brought us both. Score? Beats me!

amjl
06/06/2008, 2:03 PM
nice one emil. How are Kilkenny getting on in Junior footie? any hope for a quick return?

No chance of a quick return sadly :(
There was some talk of an academy being set up at Buckley park (possibly with the FAI involved as national academy but god only knows if there was any truth in that bit).
There has been more recent rumours of entering a team into the new under 20 league to hopefully build back up to the possibiltiy of A Championship, but we'll have to wait & see what unfolds...

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 2:20 PM
No chance of a quick return sadly :(
There was some talk of an academy being set up at Buckley park (possibly with the FAI involved as national academy but god only knows if there was any truth in that bit).
There has been more recent rumours of entering a team into the new under 20 league to hopefully build back up to the possibiltiy of A Championship, but we'll have to wait & see what unfolds...

Keep the Faith. Kilkenny and buckley park will always have a special place in Bohs hearts since 2001

Higgo
06/06/2008, 2:24 PM
I satarted following Shels around 14 years ago. I used to go with a friend of mine who sadly died 2 years after we started going. The reaction of the club after the death is the reason I am now hooked for life. The day after he died Ollie Byrne rang my friend's dad and asked him would he and I come down to Tolka for a match against Dundalk. Stephen Geoghegan scored that night and ran over to my mate's dad, in the middle of the game, and told him the goal was for his son. After the game we were invited into the dressing room and every single player had a warm word to say to us. Neither of us uttered a word in the car on the way home, we didn't have to. The look on the players' faces after the game said it all. For a long time after the death, Alan Gough used to come out and visit the house. When people say to me that football is only a game, I laugh to myself. I probably traet it too seriously but it's not only a game to me. Following Shels means much more than that to us.

Calcio Jack
06/06/2008, 2:33 PM
Mick Bennett of Waterford United, guesting for Rovers definitely got one of the goals in the Shay Brennan testimonial. Liam O'Brien got the other just before his own move to Old Trafford. I think Mick Byrne scored when Rovers played Manchester United a year or so later.

I stand corrected.. the ol' memory isn't what it was then again I made my debut at Milltown 1970 , full house v Athlone..was totally enraptured by the coolness of long haired mega sideburned Mick Leech whom I thought when i first saw him must be our own version of George Best and he was !!

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 2:37 PM
I satarted following Shels around 14 years ago. I used to go with a friend of mine who sadly died 2 years after we started going. The reaction of the club after the death is the reason I am now hooked for life. The day after he died Ollie Byrne rang my friend's dad and asked him would he and I come down to Tolka for a match against Dundalk. Stephen Geoghegan scored that night and ran over to my mate's dad, in the middle of the game, and told him the goal was for his son. After the game we were invited into the dressing room and every single player had a warm word to say to us. Neither of us uttered a word in the car on the way home, we didn't have to. The look on the players' faces after the game said it all. For a long time after the death, Alan Gough used to come out and visit the house. When people say to me that football is only a game, I laugh to myself. I probably traet it too seriously but it's not only a game to me. Following Shels means much more than that to us.

Thats the kind of stuff that I absolutely love about our league. look at the tribute that our own WWS got after his sad parting and more recently Sonic too. we are a community and the clubs are central to that in the way that no super dooper EPL franchise PLC CO LTD will ever ever be.(I know Liverpool were wonderfull after Hillsborough but thats a different situation entirely)
when was the last time any "Big" football team had even a minutes silence for the passing of a life long fan

disko
06/06/2008, 2:59 PM
Rovers v St Pats in 1990. First game after the WC in the RDS. There were 20,000 there apparently. Didn't miss a home game for years. Even remember my dad taking me out of school to go watch us win the league against Shels on a soggy Thursday afternoon in 1994.
The best part of the early 90s though was going to the derby games in Dalyer when the Ring of Fire was in full swing! ;)

Fester
06/06/2008, 3:05 PM
Saints v Samrock Rovers 1985 we lost 2 nil. A brilliant sunny day. I can still smell the bovril at half time. I never looked back.

DmanDmythDledge
06/06/2008, 3:07 PM
FAI Cup Quarter Finals against Finn Harps in 1998. Was only 8 at the time. Don't remember much about the game other than we lost 1-0. We narrowly avoided escaping the playoffs that year and had to play Limerick. Remember checking the second leg result on Aertel but don't know if I was at the first leg or not.

Longfordian
06/06/2008, 3:09 PM
Town v. Derry in 1987 in Abbeycartron was my first game, packed to the rafters with Derry fans. No idea what the score was, I think Derry won.I couldn't believe how exciting it was to be in the middle of it all. I remember some Derry lad falling asleep on his feet, locked. I being 6 or 7 didnt fully comprehend what was up with him!. I didn't go regularly back then but used to go to the odd match til about 98 or 99 when I started going more frequently. So many memories since, good and bad.

Terry-Lander
06/06/2008, 4:03 PM
1977. Galway United's (then Rovers) first game in LOI against St Pat's. At the tender age of 13 my father brought me to our first game. No idea what the score was but I was hooked. Why?....... because I was spending quality time with my dad. Might sound corny to some but back then it was special. I loved the fact that we were supporting a local team and they became OUR team. There was a sense of pride and belonging that stays with me today.........despite our current situation. My eldest son made his debut on New Year's day 1998 aged 3 months. Why?.....because now friday nights are reserved for me and the two boys. The passion, excitement and pride is as strong for them as it has been for me.
I'll stop reminiscing now 'cos the lads are ready to head in to Terryland and I wouldn't want to disappoint the next generation of the maroon army.;)

Block G Raptor
06/06/2008, 4:08 PM
1977. Galway United's (then Rovers) first game in LOI against St Pat's. At the tender age of 13 my father brought me to our first game. No idea what the score was but I was hooked. Why?....... because I was spending quality time with my dad. Might sound corny to some but back then it was special. I loved the fact that we were supporting a local team and they became OUR team. There was a sense of pride and belonging that stays with me today.........despite our current situation. My eldest son made his debut on New Year's day 1998 aged 3 months. Why?.....because now friday nights are reserved for me and the two boys. The passion, excitement and pride is as strong for them as it has been for me.
I'll stop reminiscing now 'cos the lads are ready to head in to Terryland and I wouldn't want to disappoint the next generation of the maroon army.;)

Ditto for me. never could persuade the Auld Lad to follow the Bohs (he's a reformed Hoop) but he did bring me to a heap of Ireland games down the years so I know where you're coming from on the "quality time" aspect. I bring the Daughter(6) to as many games as I can (not easy as I only have access on saturday and sunday) and Bring the 2 step kids regularly. my little fella is 3 mths old tomorrow and I'm currently trying to persuade the missus to let me bring him tonight. if not tonight then soon and for the rest of his life

Rovers fan
06/06/2008, 5:02 PM
Cant remember tbh and I don't really have a clue what season I started going. For some reason my first memory of a rovers game was beating bohs 4-0 and some knacker walked by sayins "bohs yis are fookin sh1te". Don't know why I remember that! I know i was going for a few years before that but not every game,just when the father decided to go.

Aaron
06/06/2008, 5:28 PM
1996. Derry City v Bohs at the Brandywell. I was only 7. What a game to make your debut at. Was in the old jungle, crazy. It was a crazy match. James Coll, had committed 3 poor tackles on Derry players. Not one of them recieved a booking. The match was at boiling point and it erupted at half time.

Felix Healy and James Coll got into an altercation. Felix, obviously unhappy at Coll's 3 tackles went "to let him know what he thought;)". Of course a big scuffle ensued and subsequently Coll was red-carded at half time. Turlough O'Connor took great exception and proceeded to man-handle the linesman.

So with things boiling over, it settled a little in the 2nd half. Then Liam Coyle went down the wing and swung a cross into the box, only for Maurice O'Driscoll's hand to block it. Penalty! Bohs enraged but I dont knwo what they were enraged at. Gary Beckett stepped up and slotted it past Dave Henderson.

I, being down the front of the stand, turned to run back up the steps, ran straight into one of the barriers that people use to lean on, knocked back to where I was originally. Cried for a while but was grand after that.

Hooked since!!:)

bennocelt
06/06/2008, 5:56 PM

wow what a story, thanks for that:)

first time i saw a LOI team was in the early 90's when the big team from dublin ..........Bohs...... came to mullingar town for a pre season friendly and won about 4-0, cant remember much but plenty of long balls and the pitch was nice (not the same really, sorry)

hoops1
06/06/2008, 8:57 PM

How could you not go after that.

dcfc_1928
06/06/2008, 10:06 PM
Sunday 1st December 1985 - Monaghan Utd vs Derry City (Belgium Park)

My first ever Derry City game and Derry's first ever League victory in the LOI. The game also marked the City debuts of Nelson Da Silva, Owen Da Gama and Stuart Gauld.

For those of who you don't remember Belgium Park, it was little more than a field with a fence around it - but it was jammed with a few thousand City fans that day. The atmosphere was brilliant and the banter was great. Despite the surroundings our team seemed so exotic - with a Brazilian and a South African playing for us. God knows what they thought of Belgium Park.

We won 2-0 with Frank Devlin scoring both goals and I was hooked from that day on. It's hard to believe that almost 21 years later, I was watching my club play in the Parc des Princes. What a contrast to Belgium Park!

Terry
06/06/2008, 10:48 PM
cant remember the exact date, but it was during the 1986/7 season when we beat derry 3-1 at home. watched the entire match on me dads shoulders in amoungst all the derry fans. Cracking game with the most electric atmosphere I ever experienced, HOOKED!

dcfc_1928
06/06/2008, 11:07 PM
1987/88 Season - Sunday 4th October 1987

Denis Bonner, Gerry Mullen and Paul McGee scored for Galway & Owen Da Gama scored for Derry.

;)

cant remember the exact date, but it was during the 1986/7 season when we beat derry 3-1 at home. watched the entire match on me dads shoulders in amoungst all the derry fans. Cracking game with the most electric atmosphere I ever experienced, HOOKED!

Raheen
06/06/2008, 11:17 PM
Galway United V Glasgow Celtic, June 1986. Packie Bonner vs Dennis Bonner We lost 2-0 but I was hooked.

Remember it well. Brought a young lad from next door. His first game in Terryland, about two minutes before half-time he hopped the fence and chased Packie Bonner for an autograph needless to say the good man obliged.

My own first game was the league up final against Dundalk in 1980/81. I was six years old and loved it. For two weeks afterwards I sang all the Dundalk songs I heard. We are black. we are white....we are f***in' dynamite...etc. Loved it...within a few years I was at every home game and when possible games in Athlone and Sligo. The glamur of it all. Skipping school to see Bohs in Terryland mid-week!

Now I live a 800 KM from Terryland and miss the biweekly buzz more than I could ever think....despite a season ticket for the Nord Auteil end at PSG..even more painful than Terryland over the past 12 months...

deecay
06/06/2008, 11:23 PM
Cant remember my first game because ive been going since near enough to birth.Remember different bits of the 94 league and cup finals

passinginterest
06/06/2008, 11:34 PM
My first League of Ireland games involved Bray Wanderers around the 01/02 season. I lived there during my first year of college, although I still went home at weekends so never got to Friday night games. I saw them three times, I think twice against Bohs and once against Longford. The atmosphere created by the travelling supporters from both sides really captivated me, the constant singing and drumming was enthralling. I remember Gary O'Neill coming on for Bohs in both matches and I was amazed he wasn't starting, he outshone Glenn Crowe and Jason Byrne for me (Byrne was the star at Bray at the time). Didn't go to another LOI game until last season when the Youths arrived, first Youths game was at home to Cobh, freezing cold, big crowd, great result. I also went to a few Bohs games last season, this year I've seen the Youths in Kildare, Santry and Tolka, as well as going to Pat's and Rovers home games in between. It's fair to say I've well and truly caught the LOI bug.

osarusan
07/06/2008, 4:55 AM
Limerick 1 - 3 Derry City back in .....1989? We needed to win to have any chance of catching Derry, but they won pretty easily in the end.

I also went to a Derry vs Cork FAI cup final that ended scoreless, but don't know which year it was.

It was part of my dad's plan (a Cork Celtic supporter) to give us live football, rather than on TV. It worked. I still love any football, even the much derided Premier League, but live football, watching 'your' team just can't be beaten.

Neish
07/06/2008, 10:00 AM
First game was when we played Bradford City in 1993, (went with my cousin who went fairly regularly at the time). Was at several home games that season usually when my cousin was gong. The following season I starting going on my own and made all but a few home games. IN 95/96 I made every home game and we were promoted that season, been hooked ever since.

Red Army
07/06/2008, 10:37 AM
I'm a Man U fan I've never actually seen them play but I watch all there games on TV and buy all there jerseys ;):D

KevB76
07/06/2008, 11:38 AM
I thought my first game was v Kilkenny until my brother reminded me of the unmistakable figure of Wes Charles - so it was Limerick FC v Bray Wanderers at Pike Rovers ground in 2004, 1-0 win, goal from Keith Hartnett :). My second game was another home win on the last day of that season (Limerick FC 1-0 Sligo Rovers). It did not escape my attention that Limerick were having a disastrous season so I considered myself something of a good luck charm :D

Monkfish
07/06/2008, 11:56 AM
Limerick 0-0 Derry City in Hogan Park (early 90's) Lasting memory was the 100 or so Derry fans having an auld fella waving a walking stick at them through the fence which was behind the goals at the time and the Lorry containers which were being used as changing rooms.

Walking out after it I says to my father 'their a bit mad Da, coming all the ways down here to watch that crap' he says to me 'hope your not that stupid when your older'

Dear old Dad, he didnt half talk ******.