View Full Version : United in trouble

WoodquayBoy
05/06/2008, 7:12 PM
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/squad/changes-to-galway-united-squad.html

Paddyfield
05/06/2008, 7:31 PM
Here it is:
CHANGES TO GALWAY UNITED SQUAD
Following a mid-season review by Galway United of the club’s affairs, it was apparent that many revenue streams were behind projection and unlikely to improve significantly before the end of the season.
As this impacts adversely on the Salary Cost Protocol that all Eircom League Of Ireland clubs must adhere to, Galway United found themselves in serious danger of breaching this requirement.
To address this matter, the club has reluctantly informed several players that they will not be able to retain them after the end of this month. As the transfer window opens on the 1st July, the club and the players will endeavour to find either new clubs or alternative employment.
The club would like to thank all of the players concerned — Daryl Robson, Wes Charles, Ciaran Foley, Stephen O’Flynn, John Lester and Alvin Rouse — for their service to the club and wish them every success in the future.
Galway United CEO Nick Leeson, stated: “It is with deep regret that we have had to take this course of action. It is absolutely no reflection on the individuals concerned but is driven purely by financial pressure.
“The club has suffered significantly in recent months from the general economic downturn that is affecting so many businesses throughout the country. Season ticket sales were down sharply, fundraising is behind target and advertising continues to sell poorly,” he said.
“In recent weeks falling gate receipts have added to the problem and prompted such action to ensure the long-term future of the football club,” he added.

ends

Six players being dumped!

I hope the plan is to bring in fresh blood. Ironicaly, Wes had his best game in a United shirt only last week and now he's being off loaded. I'm not shocked at the others being released with the possible exception of Lester. O'Flynn seems to be always injured and Rouse never got a chance.

At least we have retained Glynn, Russell, O'Brien and Fitzgerald as it is possible to build a team around them.

Good luck to the lads who have been released.

WoodquayBoy
05/06/2008, 7:34 PM
I agree Paddy, the other 5 seem to be always injured. I'd be worried about a lack of cover, but business is business. Which makes me ask when Leech is not being released. He is playing well of late, but he is apparently the highest paid player in the squad, so surely releasing him would save on big money.
That said, I feel sorry for all six and want to say thanks for their efforts.

gilberto_eire
05/06/2008, 7:34 PM
I don't think it means we're necessarily in trouble, i could see those 6 players been replaced with two, we defo' can't bring in anyone else on top of them with the cap so players must go, and these are the ones.....

I think Flynn and Robbo on the basis of injury, Lester on the basis of been only a makeshift CB. Rouse because he might never play(under-20 could sit on the bench instead), Foley was never up to standard and should have went last year, but Wes surprises me tbh, can't put my finger on that maybe Jeff has CB lined up and we needed him to go!?

gordongekko
05/06/2008, 7:37 PM
Which makes me ask when Leech is not being released. He is playing well of late, but he is apparently the highest paid player in the squad, so surely releasing him would save on big money.

It would probably cost to much to get rid of him. If a player wont agree to a pay off and they have a contract then there is not a lot the club can do with them. Also if he went as well we would be left with only 2 strikers?

gufct
05/06/2008, 7:39 PM
Gilberto I cant see us bringing in too many if any players other than Jeff and Foster being registered as players. We are left with 14 full timers one who is injured no reserve keeper and a bunch of U20s.

WoodquayBoy
05/06/2008, 7:43 PM
It would probably cost to much to get rid of him. If a player wont agree to a pay off and they have a contract then there is not a lot the club can do with them. Also if he went as well we would be left with only 2 strikers?
Well he has done flip all with regards to what he is paid for -scoring goals. And disagree with Gilberto about Foley, he played with passion and may not have set the world on fire, but he would give everything. What centre-mid back-up do we have now, just Fenn with Lester and Foley gone. Doesn't make sense

gordongekko
05/06/2008, 7:45 PM
Gilberto I cant see us bringing in too many if any players other than Jeff and Foster being registered as players. We are left with 14 full timers one who is injured no reserve keeper and a bunch of U20s.

If you include the 2 lads coming back from loan then we have 16 plus jeff and ian is 18 and if you count some of the young lads that have made progress like molloy and connelly that 20 so its not as bad as you make it sound.

gilberto_eire
05/06/2008, 8:02 PM
Well he has done flip all with regards to what he is paid for -scoring goals. And disagree with Gilberto about Foley, he played with passion and may not have set the world on fire, but he would give everything. What centre-mid back-up do we have now, just Fenn with Lester and Foley gone. Doesn't make sense

Who cares about Passion and fire when you can't play the midfield role at a high level?... there great to have when your a good player but you also need to be able to pass the ball, whats the point in having someone out there who gives ball away constantly and is'nt the best defensive midfielder at the same time?

gufct
05/06/2008, 8:05 PM
Tracey and Keane are injured and there isnt a snowballs chance of O'Halloran playing for United again. We also HAVE to field an A side and have only one goalkeeper at the club.

gordongekko
05/06/2008, 8:11 PM
Tracey and Keane are injured and there isnt a snowballs chance of O'Halloran playing for United again. We also HAVE to field an A side and have only one goalkeeper at the club.

As far as i know the a games are on sunday so it wont effect them playing for us on a friday

gufct
05/06/2008, 8:15 PM
so we are going to have approx 10 players playing 2 games or more a week.

gordongekko
05/06/2008, 8:18 PM
so we are going to have approx 10 players playing 2 games or more a week.

why are you so worried about the A league?. Surely we can pick up a few young lads somewhere to fulfill the fixtures. Mervue are not paying there players in the A league so i cant see us paying a lot of wages to the players signed to play in that mickey mouse league

GuisaSaigon
05/06/2008, 8:19 PM
maybe Jeff has CB lined up Billy Clery?

gufct
05/06/2008, 8:25 PM
why are you so worried about the A league?. Surely we can pick up a few young lads somewhere to fulfill the fixtures. Mervue are not paying there players in the A league so i cant see us paying a lot of wages to the players signed to play in that mickey mouse league

Are you sure Mervue are paying no one I doubt that very much.

gufct
05/06/2008, 8:29 PM
Billy Clery?

hasnt played regularly for 2 years Saigon and Fitzy is struggling with his back we could end up with no first choice centre half for the 3 games before the transfer window opens. The one question id have is why couldnt they have waited until after tomorrow nights game before breaking the news.

gordongekko
05/06/2008, 8:30 PM
Are you sure Mervue are paying no one I doubt that very much.

As far as i know none of the players are getting paid. There will be incentives through out the season but no cash as far as i know. Either way there are still 25 players listed on the galway united web site even after these players leave and thats not including jeff or ian so we have plenty of bodies for the A league once we get a goalkeeper from somewhere.

GuisaSaigon
05/06/2008, 9:42 PM
The one question id have is why couldnt they have waited until after tomorrow nights game before breaking the news. Was thinking the same thing myself, timing of this announcement is bizarre. everyone was beginning to hope again after last weeks performance but this can't do much for morale in the squad.
I've heard a rumour that Billy was going to register as a player in the window but he's hardly going to be the sharpest after so long out. Really hope the club isn't in too much trouble.:(

Patrick Dunne
05/06/2008, 9:58 PM
I'm a lot less worried about the future of the club tonight, than I was last night.

In future, we should aim to have 10-12 decent professionals backed up by local youngsters and part-timers.

I am glad that this action was taken. I feel sorry for the players involved, but it is better to offload squad members who have made little impact, than have to let go core team players later in the season.

Fermoy Blue
05/06/2008, 10:03 PM
Christ! yer even more ****ed than we are....... and we are gonna **** ye over further Fri night...BTW thought Robson was the greatest thing to come out of Middlesboro since Bernie Slaven anyways will be good to get Stevo back to the Mallow nightclubs been kinda quiet round these parts...alltogether now..I fought the law...

Terry-Lander
06/06/2008, 9:28 AM
If the club is in financial difficulty it might suit the board for us to go down.........40% of Jeff's salary is dependant on survival so there is more money saved. Penny pinching at its most despicable.:mad:

Sumac
06/06/2008, 9:42 AM
Kinda ironic that after the best performance for a long time is followed by this news. Had Cousins been sacked earllier and Kenna in for the pre season I think the performances would have been much better, higher in the table, healthier crowds. Oh but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

galwayhoop
06/06/2008, 9:50 AM
I'm a lot less worried about the future of the club tonight, than I was last night.

In future, we should aim to have 10-12 decent professionals backed up by local youngsters and part-timers.

Not trying to be smart but a lot of people (myself included) said this at the time we jumped straight into full-time status once we got into the Premier.

Unfortunately by going exclusively full-time we were only able to put together a very average squad with a couple of (so-called) big names (o'flynn & lester in particular) who had potential but for different reasons had never really fulfilled it.

But the past is done with and in future we should look to a smaller number of full-timers and supplement that with local/part-time players.

In reality we are only losing 5 subs and one first teamer so if Jeff can bring in 2 players who play regularly enough in the window we are better off.

Also I reckon the club will be about 5 grand better off each week if all players leave, and this without weaking us THAT much.*

*Provided we can bring in a decent centre half.

:ball:

WoodquayBoy
06/06/2008, 9:59 AM
According to today's Tribune, the club projected revenue of €1.48m this year, that has now been revised down to €1.2m, so there is basically a shortfall of €250,000 - no wonder they have to let players go.
Also claims club is close to breaching the 65% salary cap, and that 2 clubs already have.
This is not good news, almost time for a bucket collection in town and yes, I am being serious

gufct
06/06/2008, 10:09 AM
id say revenue wont reach €1m .If none of the players get new clubs we are in serious employment law trouble and is there any cutbacks in the admin side.

gilberto_eire
06/06/2008, 10:54 AM
Kinda ironic that after the best performance for a long time is followed by this news. Had Cousins been sacked earllier and Kenna in for the pre season I think the performances would have been much better, higher in the table, healthier crowds. Oh but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I would'nt call it hindsight the majority of the '''hardocre'' support anyway wanted Cousins gone last season never mind this!!

MyTown
06/06/2008, 11:54 AM
I hope this isn't the endgame.

We have been Derby on the field and now it looks like we may be Gretna off it.

It makes me sad, but the reality is not enough people in Galway support the team. 2,500 are prepared to go to see so-called legends on a Saturday afternoon, 800 approximately are prepared to suport the team in a relegation 6 pointer against Cobh 48 hours later.

When there was huge internal debate within the club over Sunderland prices last year and season ticket prices this year, the CEO made very convincing arguments about the financial implications. He said he wanted to know if the city and county were prepared to back the team. Failure to get enough people to go to the games in Terryland is contributing directly to current events. I'm very proud to be from Galway, but our sporting public is very fickle.

Not for the first time in 30+ years, those who have backed the club financially are learning some very tough lessons, but fair play to them for doing their best to keep national league soccer in the town.

Sumac
06/06/2008, 12:08 PM
Increasing Prices this seaon was not the answer though. I am not saying it was the major factor but it was a factor. It was highlighted by some people on here and I have spoken to others which felt the prices were prohibitive. If a guy and his girlfriend want to go to a game in the new stand for example the cost is €40. It is no wonder crowds are down. People went to the legends game beacuase of the novelty of seeing these players they used to see on tv.
The Galway Sporting public is extremely fickle and we have known this for years. Therefore increasing prices was always going to turn people away, not tempt them.

galwayhoop
06/06/2008, 1:32 PM
Increasing Prices this seaon was not the answer though. I am not saying it was the major factor but it was a factor. It was highlighted by some people on here and I have spoken to others which felt the prices were prohibitive. If a guy and his girlfriend want to go to a game in the new stand for example the cost is €40. It is no wonder crowds are down. People went to the legends game beacuase of the novelty of seeing these players they used to see on tv.
The Galway Sporting public is extremely fickle and we have known this for years. Therefore increasing prices was always going to turn people away, not tempt them.

spot on.

The board themselves have to take an awful lot of responsibility. Prices were increased on the back of on-field promises. Most were not convinced about promises of top six football. For our first season back in the big time many people bought season tickets to support the club - they were seriously good value for even those with only a passing interest and the size of crowds proved this. Instead of maintaining this support the club choose to tell them of their responsibilities and how they had to pay more for the right to compete. It was the ultimate chicken and egg. Pay for top six football first and then it will come.

The club backed a manager who many rank and file supporters had lost faith in. Now we have a manager who most seem to have faith in and the board has to slash expenses. Do we blame the support (who we all knew were fickle and always have been in this neck of the woods, but would probably have forked out at lower prices) or should the board hold up their hands and accept their blunder and perhaps offer half season reduced rate season tickets and slash entry fees????

Terry-Lander
06/06/2008, 1:47 PM
spot on.

The board themselves have to take an awful lot of responsibility. Prices were increased on the back of on-field promises. Most were not convinced about promises of top six football. For our first season back in the big time many people bought season tickets to support the club - they were seriously good value for even those with only a passing interest and the size of crowds proved this. Instead of maintaining this support the club choose to tell them of their responsibilities and how they had to pay more for the right to compete. It was the ultimate chicken and egg. Pay for top six football first and then it will come.

The club backed a manager who many rank and file supporters had lost faith in. Now we have a manager who most seem to have faith in and the board has to slash expenses. Do we blame the support (who we all knew were fickle and always have been in this neck of the woods, but would probably have forked out at lower prices) or should the board hold up their hands and accept their blunder and perhaps offer half season reduced rate season tickets and slash entry fees????

Agree with you but if they offer reduced price half season tickets and slash prices you can be sure that some season ticket holders will complain and want a refund. They bought their tickets at the start of the season on the understanding that they were getting a discount. As a season ticket holder I don't care and wont feel hard done by if it helps us out of this mess but some will use any excuse to complain about the club.

Maroon 7
06/06/2008, 3:07 PM

Certainly dind't help. Heard many people who were regulars last season say that they were going to pick and choose their games this season because of the cost. Especially given current economic circumstances and general belt tightening.

Then people just got sick of paying those prices to see brutal home performances week after week and lost patience. Fair weather fans they may be but the club still needs them to turn up because it can't survive on the hardcore alone.

Would be a terrible situation to see United flounder again in the lower division. Only club in one of the biggest cities in the country, a city with a young population and one of the best grounds in the country. On the face of it it has everything going for it but it just never seems to work out.

Tir Oilean
06/06/2008, 11:39 PM
Also claims club is close to breaching the 65% salary cap, and that 2 clubs already have.
[/QUOTE]

Does this mean we will see a load of these ****** on the League table soon?

Maybe we'll start jumping places up the table :p

gufcfan
07/06/2008, 5:06 PM
If you include the 2 lads coming back from loan then we have 16 plus jeff and ian is 18

Jeff never said Foster was going to play.

He said that he was going to talk to him, but he may not even be able to play for all we know.

gufcfan
07/06/2008, 5:09 PM
id say revenue wont reach €1m .If none of the players get new clubs we are in serious employment law trouble and is there any cutbacks in the admin side.

Get rid of Jimmy Norman for a start.

Terry-Lander
07/06/2008, 6:58 PM
Get rid of Jimmy Norman for a start.

Plenty of talk about volunteers to do the job so time for one of them (who is capable of doing the job) to get off their soap box and contact the club volunteering to do it.

GuisaSaigon
07/06/2008, 7:12 PM
Plenty of talk about volunteers to do the job so time for one of them (who is capable of doing the job) to get off their soap box and contact the club volunteering to do it.
The club seem more interested in "professionals" and seem to have very little time for amateur volunteers. Plenty of volunteers were sent to their "soap boxes" after volunteering for years from what I can see.
Maybe you might be interested in helping out yourself?

Terry-Lander
07/06/2008, 8:43 PM
The club seem more interested in "professionals" and seem to have very little time for amateur volunteers. Plenty of volunteers were sent to their "soap boxes" after volunteering for years from what I can see.
Maybe you might be interested in helping out yourself?

You obviously have no idea of what I do for, or am involved in, with the club or you wouldn't ask such a question. This is not about one-up-manship it's about us all pulling together to support the club in whatever way we can.

As for having little time for amateur volunteers the programme every week seems to be asking for volunteers to 'lend a hand'. I know there are problems and that mistakes have been made and that some might (justifyably) feel shafted. I never suggested that the club, board or fans are perfect!

I do think that it is more important for ALL involved in the club to pull together even if that means putting our differences aside. We all have a common goal of having the best club we can have, playing at the top level.

Finally I'm not having a go at you or anyone else.......I'm not interested in such pettiness. I am interested in us all working positivly together, without a need for bad mouthing the club.

Paddyfield
07/06/2008, 9:55 PM
[/B]

You obviously have no idea of what I do for, or am involved in, with the club or you wouldn't ask such a question. This is not about one-up-manship it's about us all pulling together to support the club in whatever way we can.

Are you trying to tell us that your name isn't really Terry-Lander? Jeeze, ya caught me there.:D

GuisaSaigon
08/06/2008, 12:51 PM
If the club is in financial difficulty it might suit the board for us to go down.........40% of Jeff's salary is dependant on survival so there is more money saved. Penny pinching at its most despicable.:mad:

We all have a common goal of having the best club we can have, playing at the top level.:confused:

Your right I have no idea who you are Terry. For someone so immersed in the club you seem to be unsure about the direction the club want to go yourself.

The club needs to clarify the current situation to supporters and dispel certain rumours.Until that happens people are sure to question the actions of the board.

Terry-Lander
08/06/2008, 1:10 PM
:confused:

Your right I have no idea who you are Terry. For someone so immersed in the club you seem to be unsure about the direction the club want to go yourself.

The club needs to clarify the current situation to supporters and dispel certain rumours.Until that happens people are sure to question the actions of the board.

Carefull now, we might start agreeing.;)

Guitd
08/06/2008, 2:29 PM
two things id like to see opions on that i have taken notice of recently
1) united seem to have a habbit of signing players that seem to be always injured or is this the norm for most clubs ie.. o flynn,robson, and to a certain extent ,keane foley and now i see tracey before this year armstrong ,do we not have fitness tests its costing the club alot of wages for players not playing.

2) the programme whats the story ,was only a book of adds this week ,,

PA was a joke music playing when the game was started;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;