PDA

View Full Version : Matches played on rugby and GAA grounds

London-Irish
03/06/2008, 4:16 PM
Does anyone have a list of matches switched to rugby and GAA grounds? I think occasional European ties and pre-season friendlies have been switched to these sort of venues in the past. I believe clubs like Cork, Limerick and Athlone have switched occasional fixtures over the years?

TheBoss
03/06/2008, 4:38 PM
I know that Limerick played at Thomond Park and Athlone recently in 2006 at Dubarry Park

ifk101
03/06/2008, 4:47 PM
Cork City played Bayern Munich at Musgrave Park.

Galway United at a GAA ground in Connemara (forget the name) for a UEFA Cup tie against Groeingen (sp.?)

GuisaSaigon
03/06/2008, 4:47 PM
Galway United played home games in 1993 in The Sportsgrounds, Crowley Park and Harolds Cross, Dublin while Terryland Park was being redeveloped. We have played European games in the Sportsgrounds, Cararoe and Ballindereen community grounds

ifk101
03/06/2008, 4:54 PM
A number of clubs have also played at greyhound tracks. Waterford, Pats and Shels (Harolds and Shelbourne Park) spring to mind. Limerick as well.

iceman
03/06/2008, 4:57 PM
Did Rovers play at Harolds Cross at any stage?

dcfcsteve
03/06/2008, 4:59 PM
A number of clubs have also played at greyhound tracks. Waterford, Pats and Shels (Harolds and Shelbourne Park) spring to mind. Limerick as well.

Ahem - City........:)

ifk101
03/06/2008, 5:01 PM
Ahem - City........:)

Knew I was missing somebody :D

superfrank
03/06/2008, 5:40 PM
Athlone played Rovers in the cup at Dubary Park (?) a few years ago. It was on the telly.

HarpoJoyce
03/06/2008, 7:11 PM
Did Rovers play at Harolds Cross at any stage?

Unless it was a switched league Cup game versus St. Pat's or Shelbourne.

UCD played Galway Utd in 1995 The Sportsgrounds for the first game of theseason. I think Galway had two away games following, and they were giving the pitch at Terryland a longer rest.

UCD played a friendly with Shamrock Rovers in an undeveloped Bowl, maybe 1990.

superfrank
03/06/2008, 8:13 PM
Rovers at the RDS.

L37Ultra
04/06/2008, 12:16 AM
Limerick played Young Boys of Berne in Thomond Park in 1961. Lost 5-0 though.

GalwayTillIDye
04/06/2008, 12:44 AM
United used Galwegians RFC for a season back in '93 while Terryland was out of action.....

Terryland Park is owned by the Galway & District Football League and has been the home ground of Galway United since 1977. Terryland underwent major redevelopment in 1993 and as a result Galway United played their home matches in Crowley Park, the home of rugby side Galwegians, for a single season.

gspain
04/06/2008, 7:29 AM
Limerick played a number of games at thomond Park starting with Young Boys of Berne in 1960, some big cup ties v Hibs and Waterford 67-70, Torino in 71, tottenyam in 81 and some friendlies in the early 90's v Chelsea, Man city and Sunderland.

The Markets Field and Rathbane were both originally rugby grounds before they became football grounds.

Schumi
04/06/2008, 8:13 AM
United used Galwegians RFC for a season back in '93 while Terryland was out of action.....Wow, Galway must have more grounds than Rovers at this stage!

Macy
04/06/2008, 8:15 AM
Town have played preseason games in the Rugby Club, including the super cup games a few seasons ago. Before my time, but I think we also played in the greyhound stadium in the past, in the pre-league days.

I don't think there has been games in GAA grounds, because of their bigoted ban - any matches played on what were considered GAA grounds were in fact community facilities that the GAA just considered to be their property.

GuisaSaigon
04/06/2008, 8:45 AM
Wow, Galway must have more grounds than Rovers at this stage!

Galwegians RFC and Crowley Park are the same ground. AFAIK we have played competitive games in 6 venues; The Sportsgrounds (Connacht Rugby and Greyhounds), Ballindereen and Carraroe Community Grounds were used as the old Terryland was unsuitable for European Competition.
Crowley Park (Galwegians RFC) and the Sportsgrounds were used in 93/94 when Terryland was being redeveloped. We played Shelbourne in our last "home" game of that season at Harolds X greyhound stadium in Dublin as no suitable ground in Galway was available.

WoodquayBoy
04/06/2008, 8:57 AM
AFAIK we have played competitive games in 6 venues.
Ah no, we've played in a lot more places than that - Turners Corss, Showgrounds, Oriel Park, United Park, the RSC, Jackman Park, Dalymount, Tolka and of course Lansdowne, to name just a few !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GuisaSaigon
04/06/2008, 11:22 AM
That should read home games. Smart arse! :D

dcfcsteve
04/06/2008, 11:47 AM
Wow, Galway must have more grounds than Rovers at this stage!

Two grounds - no more than UCD !?

Playing the very occassional big game somewhere else hardly amounts to having a new ground. You would still have your other ground registered with the league as your nominated home venue fior that season.

Guisa - are Cowley Park and the Showgrounds not the same venue ?

Larry 'da' Wyse
04/06/2008, 12:07 PM

How soon we forget ... Thurles Town :)

dcfcsteve
04/06/2008, 12:14 PM
How soon we forget ... Thurles Town :)

Most of us are too young to forget Thurles Larry..... ! :D

Where did they play ?

WoodquayBoy
04/06/2008, 12:25 PM
Two grounds - no more than UCD !?

Playing the very occassional big game somewhere else hardly amounts to having a new ground. You would still have your other ground registered with the league as your nominated home venue fior that season.

Sligo Rovers play in the Showgrounds.
United played in the SPORTSground, the Bord na gCon place which has a playing pitch inside of the running track, where Connacht rugby play their home games.
Crowley Park is on the Dublin Road, is also known as Glenina, and is the home ground of Galwegians RFC, although not for much longer as they have sold the ground to a developer and are moving out to a greenfield site in Bushypark out the Clifden/Moycullen Road.

Longfordian
04/06/2008, 12:43 PM
Town have played preseason games in the Rugby Club, including the super cup games a few seasons ago. Before my time, but I think we also played in the greyhound stadium in the past, in the pre-league days.

I don't think there has been games in GAA grounds, because of their bigoted ban - any matches played on what were considered GAA grounds were in fact community facilities that the GAA just considered to be their property.

Yep Town played in the dog track before Abbeycartron, played there up to the 70s I think.

Partizan
04/06/2008, 12:49 PM
During the first couple of years of our existence, we played at the Baile na nDeise Rugby grounds on the Cork Road where Waterpark RFC played before they moved to Ballinakill.

In '34 we then moved to Kilcohan Park owned by the doggy people before being unceremoniously kicked out at the end of the 1992-93 season. We have been at the RSC ever since.

Ash
04/06/2008, 1:03 PM
Athlone played Rovers in the cup at Dubary Park (?) a few years ago. It was on the telly.

Also played Galway in the League at Dubarry Park

gspain
04/06/2008, 2:58 PM
Most of us are too young to forget Thurles Larry..... ! :D

Where did they play ?

Thurles Town played home games at the Greyhound Stadium.

Only one side was used but I remember pretty big attendances there in the first season and also October 79. By pretty big I mean 2-3,000. However there were only a handful at the Limerick game in 81/2.

GuisaSaigon
04/06/2008, 3:25 PM

It is a bit a farmyard alright! Benny the Bull grazes on it!

iceman
04/06/2008, 5:16 PM
EMFA at Thurles Greyhound Stadium. Late 70's , early 80's. Later became Thurles Town.

Paddyfield
04/06/2008, 10:00 PM
EMFA at Thurles Greyhound Stadium. Late 70's , early 80's. Later became Thurles Town.

EMFA was the original name for Kilkenny City FC. EMFA fans brought out one of the first fanzines (maybe it was the first?) called Every Man Football Artist.

Tir Oilean
04/06/2008, 10:31 PM
Also played Galway in the League at Dubarry Park

Aye and what a night it was for Dave O'Dowd who now plays for ye!

bigmac
05/06/2008, 2:11 PM
During the first couple of years of our existence, we played at the Baile na nDeise Rugby grounds on the Cork Road where Waterpark RFC played before they moved to Ballinakill.

In '34 we then moved to Kilcohan Park owned by the doggy people before being unceremoniously kicked out at the end of the 1992-93 season. We have been at the RSC ever since.

Ozier Park at some stage? :confused: