PDA

View Full Version : Villa

petef
11/08/2003, 9:26 AM
Saw the goals, Pats looked nothing but shambolic, surely they have more to offer than that, terrible representation of the Irish league.

wws
11/08/2003, 10:07 AM
yeah, it was vital we represent the "irish league" :rolleyes:

pats picked up 3 points on thursday with this team:

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC: Adamson; Donnelly, Maguire, Foley, El Khebyr, Fahy, Osam (Marney, 64 mins), Byrne, Mbabazi, Freeman (Rose, 67 mins), Bird.

v villa in a friendly we played:

we started with

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC: Adamson; Croly, Maguire, Foley, El Khebyr, Fahy, de Blok, Byrne, Mbabazi, Murphy, Harris.

We finished with

Clarke(17/18 year old)
Karim Foley Paulo Squiggles
Luiz PD Anto Marney
Rosey De Bloc

hardly a serious match or an accurate reflection of pats or villa

petef
11/08/2003, 10:39 AM
You think they should have put out a better team to avoid such a result?

wws
11/08/2003, 10:54 AM
in an ideal world it would be great if they played the normal team (i still think villa would have been too good - but nowhere near 6 goals too good)

but you have to appreciate that we are not in pre season - we're in the middle of a league campaign, involved in two cup competitions and we had to give trials to players before the next deadline

we dont live in the ideal world so therefore losing 6-0 was just a slight downside for pats in a weekend which was a neccessary fundraiser

also irish clubs finances are pathetic compared to the UK leagues to such an extent that render all comparison irrelevant
you wouldnt believe the showstring operations we run here

wws
11/08/2003, 10:59 AM
well in fairness shels did beat leeds 2-0 so drawing conclusions from these matches (were you at them?) shows up the flaws in your logic

Irish football is in the ha penny place compared to British football and always will be, they used this tournament to tune up, we at pats and shels used this tournament income to help us survive financially, those are the realities of the different economies of scale operating

WeAreRovers
11/08/2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Conor74

As for the amalgamation suggestion, why don't ALL the clubs in Ireland unite. It surely must be the only way of avoiding defeat in these critical games. Just think, Bohs 3-1 victory against Spurs in a friendly last year could have been 4-1 if only they had the pick of every other player in the country. What do we want a league for anyway? All that competitive action in Ireland, when we could be out giving English clubs good opposition for their warm ups to their much-more-important-League...

:D Nice one.

I get the impression that aul Silvio is purely a wind-up merchant. The domestic league is the important thing. What club is going to throw away 100 years of history (or 19 years in CCFC's case ;) ) for the sake of European football.

Rosenborg have destroyed the Norwegian League but despite 11 years in the wilderness the Oslo clubs have no plans to merge.

How about a merger of all Cork clubs? - Evergeen, Cork Hibs, Cork Celtic, Cork Utd, Cork Alberts, Fordsons, Cork Whateveryour havinyourself. What a superclub that would be. :D

KOH

Neil
11/08/2003, 1:14 PM
Silviooooo...
Silviooooo...
Silviooooo...
Silviooooo...
Silviooooo...
Silviooooo...
Silviooooo...
Silviooooo...

WeAreRovers
11/08/2003, 1:40 PM
Isn't Silvio a Forest fan? That's what we should all be aiming for - from double European Champions to Premier League nursery club in 20 years, nice work!

KOH

wws
12/08/2003, 9:06 AM
as this is a pats forum I'd rather none of the above choices
silivio continue this thread in "off topic" or in your usual spot: "rubbish"

pete
12/08/2003, 9:51 AM
Trialists or no trialist seems a bit pointless for Pats to finish with a team of 17 year old against an english Premiership - can'tr see what Collins thought he was going to learn but suppose he new to the management game.

:eek:

wws
12/08/2003, 9:55 AM
oh sign some players!.........

decent players!

petef
12/08/2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by pete
Trialists or no trialist seems a bit pointless for Pats to finish with a team of 17 year old against an english Premiership - can'tr see what Collins thought he was going to learn but suppose he new to the management game.

:eek:

Thats what I was trying to get at pete, well pointed out.

wws
12/08/2003, 10:34 AM
simple answer
collins wasnt trying to learn anything (except maybe the answer to should we sign de Bloc - which we should)

the club was trying to raise funds
real world v dream world

wws
12/08/2003, 10:42 AM
obviously

d'uuuh

there is no "big four"

its pats pats and all pats

wws
12/08/2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Silvio, most men's fantasy are full of breasts and long legs and sexual marathons. Why don't you stick to those healthy fantasies, rather than the laughable "Dublin United -v- Real every week" ones.

:D :D :D :D :D

WeAreRovers
12/08/2003, 1:27 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante

For the first time ever real quality club football would be seen in Ireland. Lets face it. Rovers/Longford at Flancare or Dublin United/Real Madrid. Which would you rather....?

If you have to ask that question then you know nothing about following football. Lets see, a day drinking in the Anvil with my mates followed by watching Rovers or a day spent with muppets watching a made-up team play against the Madrid Globetrotters. I know which one I prefer.

Then again Silvio doesn't follow his own team he follows some random English club to which he has no ties whatsoever. Silvio, as far as I'm concerned you're not even a football fan.

KOH

wws
12/08/2003, 3:39 PM
the point is

u are a stupid head

WeAreRovers
12/08/2003, 4:09 PM
Silvio, I do get the point, I refer you to the two gentlemen above (WWS and Conor) who both also get the point, even if they express it slightly differently. ;)

Going on your logic, we should never go and watch small bands that we really like and instead hang on till the Chilli Peppers play Slane. They're big so they must be good.

Similarly we should only go to the cinema to watch blockbusters - "But that's what they watch in England/America/wherever." Your logic is twisted.

I can't speak for the other lads backgrounds, but tradition, heritage and loyalty are all very imporatant to me. When I watch Rovers I'm following in my Dad's footsteps as are countless other Rover's fans. I also follow West Brom but quite honestly if they went under tomorrow I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep.

KOH

wws
13/08/2003, 9:29 AM
I dont see the point in explaining your position in such detail to someone who is clearly a wind up merchant

silivio's contributions to other "topics" have clearly marked him down as a muppet or as someone whos just taking the ****

wws
13/08/2003, 10:47 AM
because theres pots of cash over there and there never will be here

get over it

wws
13/08/2003, 11:29 AM
YES BUT THE POINT YOUR MISSING

is that people on irish football clubs message boards are generally speaking fans of certain Irish football clubs therefore your dreams are not theirs

also the "Dublin Melchester United" idea has been floated before by money men with more ability to see it through than you an all their efforts floundered

perhaps discuss this on a forum of people who dont like the existing clubs here as obviously its a no brainer that fans of irish clubs would think the idea is rubbish

wws
13/08/2003, 12:27 PM
I DID indeed conor and not only that but I have forwarded it to at least 26 others who agree with that idea 100%

;)

WeAreRovers
13/08/2003, 3:26 PM
Going on your logic then lads the EL will forever be a backwater in international terms and our best young talent will still have to take the plane in their droves because the domestic league refuses to grasp the nettle and see beyond its own nose....

Our best young talent will continue to "take the plane" as long as dicks like you support foreign teams instead of our own league.

If Bohs won the Champions League (God forbid!!) people like you would still travel abroad to watch ****e like Notts Forest.

A strong Eircom League would be only partly helped by European success. The barstoolers need to get up off their arses and go to games - but it 'aint ever gonna happen as long as they have the same mentality as you.

KOH

James
13/08/2003, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by wws
I DID indeed conor and not only that but I have forwarded it to at least 26 others who agree with that idea 100%

;)

hey wws any chance of a read of the pm like :)

wws
14/08/2003, 10:15 AM
anyone hanging onto the status quo now will get nowhere i totally agree

westlife is were its at

pete
14/08/2003, 11:50 AM
I always laugh when i here people go on about how irish people are great at attending sports events - truth is irish people only go to the big games/events.

People will pack Lansdowne for an international but couldn't be bothered to got to a league game & is the same for rugby, GAA & almost any other sport you can think of here.

Sure going to eL games won't make irish teams euro beaters overnight but it may eventually if people put in the time. Theres a reason Sky Sports have more subscribers in Ireland per population than elsewhere...

:rolleyes:

Ref
14/08/2003, 12:46 PM
Until the big 4 in Dublin amalgamate Irish domestic football is going nowhere.

ridiculous.

and lets amalgate the rest of the teams into a Rest of the Country team and hey they can play in the Champions League too!

and for our domestic league we'd have Dublin Utd v Rest of the Country every week. that'd be exciting and everyone would go and watch the same two teams laying every week.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

James
14/08/2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by wws

;)

cheers for the foward of the PM wws
i'm looking into that thing you mentioned about silvio

wws
14/08/2003, 1:56 PM
i passed it on to silivio as well

its in a link.html file, is it displaying on your pc sd?

u have to have M.C.S.c from and be windows 2000 or higher