PDA

View Full Version : New Sports minister in NI

Steve Bruce
02/06/2008, 1:47 PM
It looks like Gregory Campbell will be the new Sports minister for NI. This might not really affect much in the LOI, but Gregory is an avid follower of local football, he was a supporter of DCFC but for reasons, which is probably left alone of this forum, he has been unable to support them. He has since started to support Institute.

With DCFC looking for 5 million from the Irish Government and 5 million from the Northern Ireland executive, do DC supporters think that with Gregory Campbell will strengthen your hand in getting this money?

Maybe with the cross border competition there might be extra funding for Northern Ireland clubs which would benefit the cross border competition because the gap is considerable.

If you think this is completely off topic, I apologise, I think most people would be interested.

Krstic
02/06/2008, 1:58 PM
I think we would have had a better chance getting the money from Poots as he has no emotional ties to Derry.
Not very confident of Gregory giving that kind of money to the Brandywell area as he wouldn't gain as much as one vote from that area.

Buller
02/06/2008, 2:00 PM
I wish we had a sports minister who would recognise the inequalities we knew existed for years in sports funding and were only highlighted by the ERSI report... Despite poor funding, football still holds the crown for the most popular sport in Ireland. There is not enough support imo given to league of ireland clubs - which should be focal points to developing the game. A lot more money should be given to setup youth acadamies, build proper stands...

Dassa
02/06/2008, 2:06 PM
I really hope that if Campbell takes over as sports minister like predicted that he becomes the sports minister that football in NI has been crying out for. Someone who actually cares about football would be an excellent change.

As for the DC proposal, i feel that Campbell if given job might do DC a few favours along with other clubs in NI.

lofty9
02/06/2008, 2:21 PM
With DCFC looking for 5 million from the Irish Government and 5 million from the Northern Ireland executive, do DC supporters think that with Gregory Campbell will strengthen your hand in getting this money?

Gregory the politician? No. I'd say he'll do everything in his power to stop the development. He has shown contempt for Derry on numerous occaisions. He'll try and make out that Institute should be redeveloped to the same tune, whether or not they need it.

Gregory the football fan? Too much of an across the water supporter to care about the regeneration of football in this island. He has no time for local football.

Lets see if he can do one positive thing for the 'other community' in his City.

Steve Bruce
02/06/2008, 3:17 PM
Gregory the politician? No. I'd say he'll do everything in his power to stop the development. He has shown contempt for Derry on numerous occaisions. He'll try and make out that Institute should be redeveloped to the same tune, whether or not they need it.

Gregory the football fan? Too much of an across the water supporter to care about the regeneration of football in this island. He has no time for local football.

Lets see if he can do one positive thing for the 'other community' in his City.

Gregory can be seen at Drumahoe in most games. So I think your assessment of being a cross water supporter is a bit harsh.

With regards to the situation of DCFC, you could be right, but I would be surprised if DCFC didn’t get something from him.

Also without trying to bring a green/orange political debate here, the DUP do have a good record for helping the ‘Other community’. Unless you are talking about Gregory as an individual (who I don’t know personally) then you may be right, but as a party the DUP has helped people from all sections of the community regardless of their political/religious backgrounds or beliefs.

lofty9
02/06/2008, 3:25 PM
Gregory can be seen at Drumahoe in most games. So I think your assessment of being a cross water supporter is a bit harsh.

With regards to the situation of DCFC, you could be right, but I would be surprised if DCFC didn’t get something from him.

Also without trying to bring a green/orange political debate here, the DUP do have a good record for helping the ‘Other community’. Unless you are talking about Gregory as an individual (who I don’t know personally) then you may be right, but as a party the DUP has helped people from all sections of the community regardless of their political/religious backgrounds or beliefs.

Most definitely as an individual.

They must've thrown in a few free lunches to get him over at the Riverside then!

MariborKev
03/06/2008, 9:41 AM
Gregory is an avid follower of local football, he was a supporter of DCFC but for reasons, which is probably left alone of this forum, he has been unable to support them. He has since started to support Institute.

What, was there a forcefield that prevented him from gettting to the Brandywell from 85 onwards? Amazingly I was able to get to the Brandywell using the same route.

Gregory's appearance on BBC prior to the PSG game a few years ago means he has a lot of work to do to convince DCFC fans that he is not actively against the club. Though 5 million would go a fair way......

Steve Bruce
03/06/2008, 10:38 AM
What, was there a forcefield that prevented him from gettting to the Brandywell from 85 onwards? Amazingly I was able to get to the Brandywell using the same route.

Gregory's appearance on BBC prior to the PSG game a few years ago means he has a lot of work to do to convince DCFC fans that he is not actively against the club. Though 5 million would go a fair way......

I'll send you a PM

dcfcsteve
03/06/2008, 5:02 PM
...he was a supporter of DCFC but for reasons, which is probably left alone of this forum, he has been unable to support them.

Substitute the word "unable" above with the word "unwilling"..... :ball:

Steve Bruce
03/06/2008, 6:21 PM
Substitute the word "unable" above with the word "unwilling"..... :ball:

You never give up trying to have an arguement do you? Aww well, you've picked the wrong guy to try and being a WUM with.

dcfcsteve
04/06/2008, 1:38 AM
You never give up trying to have an arguement do you? Aww well, you've picked the wrong guy to try and being a WUM with.

A defensive reponse to an obvious thing to pull you up on. I note you didn't combust when Maribor suggested something similar.

:ball:

Steve Bruce
04/06/2008, 8:52 AM
A defensive reponse to an obvious thing to pull you up on. I note you didn't combust when Maribor suggested something similar.

:ball:

There is a big difference between you and the rest of the forum. You have arguements for the sake of arguements sake and also yours was worded a lot different.

Your a WUM and I wouldn't waste my time debating with you anymore.

dcfcsteve
04/06/2008, 11:49 AM
There is a big difference between you and the rest of the forum. You have arguements for the sake of arguements sake and also yours was worded a lot different.

Your a WUM and I wouldn't waste my time debating with you anymore.

Give it a rest Steve.... :o

kingdom hoop
04/06/2008, 11:56 AM
Give it a rest Steve.... :o

You even argue with yourself!

dcfcsteve
04/06/2008, 12:12 PM
You even argue with yourself!

Interesting point there on the new NI Sports Minister, Kingdom......

OneRedArmy
04/06/2008, 6:53 PM
Suggest this thread is moved to the Irish League forum.

Where it belongs.

Campbell hasn't and won't have anything to do with Derry City or the EL unless its forced against his will.