PDA

View Full Version : Former eLoI Players Playing GAA

Pages : [1] 2

Blueandproud
01/06/2008, 8:38 PM
Hi Lads

Heard former Blues player P.J. Banville had a good game for the Wexford Gaelic Footballers today.

Does anyone know of any other former e.L.o.I. players who are now playing for their counties in hurling or football

Red4Eva
01/06/2008, 8:42 PM
sean flannery, michael mcnamara, johnny davey, phillip gallagher

pineapple stu
01/06/2008, 8:44 PM
Stephen Hurley and Stephen Lynch, though not sure if they're at county level. I think both may have played there at one time though.

Jason Sherlock. :) Eóin Keating.

Paddyfield
01/06/2008, 9:41 PM
Lots of ex GUFC players have played GAA for Galway. The highest profile ones include Michael Donnelan, Norman Costello, Ricky O'Flaherty and Fergal O'Neill. Current keeper Gary Rogers has played in goals for Meath. GUFC chairman John Fallon played in Croke Park in an All Ireland Minor Final.

superfrank
01/06/2008, 9:45 PM
A few ex-Wanderers lads have played for Wicklow. Leighton Glynn, Wicklow's current best player, is the one name I remember. There's Stephen Hurley and Gary Rogers as has been mentioned. I know there a few others.

redtildead
01/06/2008, 9:51 PM

Emlyn Mulligan playing for Leitrim aswell

Rocky77
01/06/2008, 9:56 PM
Stephen Hurley and Stephen Lynch, though not sure if they're at county level. I think both may have played there at one time though.

Jason Sherlock. :) Eóin Keating.

Lynchy last played for Longford in the 2005 championship. He has since played with Granard but I don't know if he's even doing that now.

Pity he jacked it in cos he was a quality half back. Scored a memorable last-minute winning goal over Kerry in a League game in 04 - Jack O'Connor's first game in charge.

Actually, believe it or not, Niall Sheridan spent a season playing up front for LTFC. That's when we were really s***e!

bishbash
02/06/2008, 12:20 AM
eric bradley played in midfield for wexford today im sure he played up front for waterford united at some stage a few years back.

HarpoJoyce
02/06/2008, 12:42 AM
LLoyd Colfer formerly of UCD, SRFC and Bray played for his local Taghmon-Camross (Wexford and Ivan Yates) club in the recent RTE Celebrity Bainisteoir.

Sam_Heggy
02/06/2008, 8:43 AM
Brendan Devenney played for Harps and Donegal GAA.

oldyouth
02/06/2008, 9:26 AM
eric bradley played in midfield for wexford today im sure he played up front for waterford united at some stage a few years back.
Played for the Youths last season.

red bellied
02/06/2008, 11:05 AM
Conor O Grady, Johnny Kenny, Davd Pugh, Gerry Mitchell, Tony Fagan and Sean Fallon have all played for the Sligo senior side and the Rovers. Ger Houlihan played a season or two for Rovers while also playing for Armagh at the same time. When matches clashed he put the GAA first. I am sure there alot more as well.

Seagull-4-life
02/06/2008, 11:22 AM
A few ex-Wanderers lads have played for Wicklow. Leighton Glynn, Wicklow's current best player, is the one name I remember. There's Stephen Hurley and Gary Rogers as has been mentioned. I know there a few others.

Did Leighton Glynn really used to play for Bray???

Blueandproud
02/06/2008, 11:42 AM
It's nice to hear what Lloyd Colfer is doing now. He was with us during Mike Kerleys' time as manager at the R.S.C. I thought he was a good player. I also thought he never really got a fair chance with us.

ndrog
02/06/2008, 11:49 AM
Ibrahima Thiam Iyane played hurling for louth for a while .He was bloody good at it !

Seagull
02/06/2008, 12:39 PM

They tried to sign him but it all fell through, he never played for us. Tommy Gill did though and he's still turning out for Wicklow.

Red&White Rover
02/06/2008, 12:47 PM

Fizzy Greene was with Rovers for a while too as a young fella, no?

prince20
02/06/2008, 4:11 PM
Gary Connaughton now of westmeath formerly played with Athlone Town

Battery Rover
02/06/2008, 5:19 PM
Mickey Greene formally of Cork City and Cobh Ramblers now living in Athlone and playing for Westmeath.

Hopefully Westmeath lose out early in the Championship and we get him playing soccer again.

rambler14
02/06/2008, 5:47 PM
Mickey Greene formally of Cork City and Cobh Ramblers now living in Athlone and playing for Westmeath.

Hopefully Westmeath lose out early in the Championship and we get him playing soccer again.

How to put this in a non-racist way but, is that the black lad? If it is who i'm thinking of then he never actually played for Ramblers just the U21's.

Flawless
02/06/2008, 5:56 PM
Didnt Kildares Ger Robinson play Gaelic for meath?

gustavo
02/06/2008, 6:09 PM
Ryan McCluskey played for us and a few other teams and plays for Fermanagh

Aaron
02/06/2008, 6:13 PM
Former Derry GAA player Anthony Tohill played one game for Derry City

Ash
02/06/2008, 6:25 PM
Former Town keeper Shane Curran also played for the Rossies

Battery Rover
02/06/2008, 6:37 PM
How to put this in a non-racist way but, is that the black lad? If it is who i'm thinking of then he never actually played for Ramblers just the U21's.

Thats him.

Rovers fan
02/06/2008, 7:10 PM
Former Town keeper Shane Curran also played for the Rossies

he's an absolute nutter!

Battery Rover
02/06/2008, 7:48 PM
he's an absolute nutter!

Was chatting to him at one of the Under 20 rugby internationals at the pre match meal and he offered to do an after dinner speech at our player of the year awards this season. Looking forward to it if I can get it planned as he is one mad f*ck*r

Grey Boy
02/06/2008, 7:48 PM

I remember him scoring a 30 yard screamer in a pre-season friendly. Can't for the life of me remeber who we played though.

Didn't Josh Moran play for Wicklow as well?

superfrank
02/06/2008, 7:54 PM
John Walsh played for Donegal as well, afaik.

JR_Ewing
02/06/2008, 8:26 PM
Robbie Griffin (ex Pats, UCD and Kildare Town) played gaa for my club for the last 3 years.

Dan Connor used to play for my club also but is still playing LOI.

Martinho II
02/06/2008, 8:42 PM
Didnt Kildares Ger Robinson play Gaelic for meath?

did indeed..

Martinho II
02/06/2008, 8:45 PM
paul kelly from edgeworthstown who made a few first team appearances for us played for longford in the leinster championship... enda henry kenny john rogers all played gaa for rossies..gary murphy who resigned for us this season appeared for longford earlier this year in the o byrne cup... paddy mulivihill who played for us under alan matthews is playing co gaa with westmeath..

B1977
02/06/2008, 10:04 PM
He also played one reserve match for Manchester United

B1977
02/06/2008, 10:06 PM
Conor O Grady, Johnny Kenny, Davd Pugh, Gerry Mitchell, Tony Fagan and Sean Fallon have all played for the Sligo senior side and the Rovers. Ger Houlihan played a season or two for Rovers while also playing for Armagh at the same time. When matches clashed he put the GAA first. I am sure there alot more as well.

I Think Ger Houlihan missed the FAI cup final due to it clashing with a GAA match.He played in the FAI semi final against Limerick FC back in 1995

Rovers fan
02/06/2008, 11:10 PM
Was chatting to him at one of the Under 20 rugby internationals at the pre match meal and he offered to do an after dinner speech at our player of the year awards this season. Looking forward to it if I can get it planned as he is one mad f*ck*r

Are you sure it would be safe? you wouldn't know what he's capable of!!

deecay
02/06/2008, 11:15 PM
Ryan McCluskey played for us and a few other teams and plays for Fermanagh
That the crazy fella with the white boots?

paul kelly from edgeworthstown who made a few first team appearances for us played for longford in the leinster championship.
Heard that name before somewhere?

stann
02/06/2008, 11:40 PM
Think a few of our lads have played Gaelic Football at different times. Banville was definitely playing for Wexford while still with us.
Eric Bradley (played under Paul Power, bishbash, about 5 seasons ago?), Robbie Griffin, Dan Connor, Lloyd Colfer were all with us too in recent years, but don't remember them playing GAA while they were here.
To drag it back in time, John Frost definitely played football at county level for Waterford while here, possibly intermediate though. I've a feeling that Alan Reynolds did likewise.

rambler14
02/06/2008, 11:46 PM
Ex-Ramblers and Waterford utility man Robert Brosnan used to play football with the Cork minors and played a few challenge games for the senior side.
A lot of the current Rams team play GAA with their local clubs and I have no doubt that a few have played with their counties at some level.

stann
02/06/2008, 11:51 PM
Was going to edit to put Brosnan in. Damn you rambler14! :D

He was famously (relatively) let go last season for lining out for a GAA club side a day or two before a crunch Blues match.

Rovers fan
03/06/2008, 12:12 AM
Heard that name before somewhere?

Ya he's some gobsh1te from sligo afaik!! Do you know him?!

deecay
03/06/2008, 1:01 AM
Ya he's some gobsh1te from sligo afaik!! Do you know him?!
I heard he's some strong handsome young man

Ash
03/06/2008, 8:09 AM
Enda Kenny Athlone Town, Longford Town and the Rossies.

Dunno if his brother Henry played intercounty but he plays
club in Ros and also lined out for the 2 Towns.

joeSoap
03/06/2008, 8:17 AM
Barry Ryan, ex Limerick, and a few other clubs striker, played senior football for Limerick a few years back.

Macy
03/06/2008, 8:31 AM
They tried to sign him but it all fell through, he never played for us.
"fell through"? Wasn't he banned for months for lamping a ref in a junior match?

Ceirtlis
03/06/2008, 12:40 PM
Sean Malee once of Galway United played abit for Mayo a few years back and Johnny Glynn was the Clare hurling team physical trainer under Anthony Daly.

passinginterest
03/06/2008, 12:48 PM
Eoin Quigley plays for the Wexford hurlers now having played centre half for Bohemians as a teenager.
Ben Brosnan and Eric Bradley played for the Youths last year and are now with the Gaelic footballers.

Magicme
03/06/2008, 1:32 PM
Cian Mackey played for us last year while also playing GAA for Cavan at county level.

ollie
03/06/2008, 2:04 PM
Colin O Brien won an AI minor medal with Cork in 93. Played with the 21s too afaik.
Former City player Damien Delaney who's now with QPR was a Cork minor also.

lofty9
03/06/2008, 2:08 PM

I think he played a lot more than that.

Didn't he also go in nets when Tony O Dowd was sent off away to Levski Sofia or am I talking out of my hoop?:confused:

harps1954
03/06/2008, 3:20 PM
John Walsh played for Donegal as well, afaik.

He played GAA for Wicklow.

Some others that played for Harps and Donegal were Barry McGowan, Declan Bonner (both 1992 All Ireland Winners), Paul Callaghan, Shane Bradley, Kevin 'Whoppa' McMenamin and Ollie Reid to name but a few.