PDA

View Full Version : League matches clashing with internationals

Denis The Red
30/05/2008, 4:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the eircom league attendances dwindling as it is without having matches on the same time as Irish matches as was the case last night when Dundalk played Fingal. I'm sure those of you at Oriel last night will say they don't care about the national side and many of the die hards would agree but if Ireland wasn't playing last night there probably would have been more.
Now I don't know how many was there last night and what you're average attendances are but it was a nice evening, Dundalk goes back to the top and most people are watching Ireland.
Dosen't make sense.

dcfcsteve
30/05/2008, 4:14 PM
I'm not sure that EL attendnaces are dwindling - I think you'd find a lot of evidence to say they're increasing.

That aside - I agree that it's silly to have league games clashing with internationals. Although the Columbia game last night was so poor that anyone in Oriel Park may count themself forunate they weren't watching the supposed cream of Irish football instead.

KevB76
30/05/2008, 4:53 PM
I'm not sure that EL attendnaces are dwindling - I think you'd find a lot of evidence to say they're increasing.

Not so for the 1st division, most clubs attendances are down on last year, some by as much as 50% :eek:

Sniffer
30/05/2008, 9:33 PM
Not so for the 1st division, most clubs attendances are down on last year, some by as much as 50% :eek:

Really? I'm surprised to hear that, is this fact?

Paddyfield
30/05/2008, 10:02 PM

I find that hard to believe. If it is true, the First Division will fold. That is unsustainable.

DRDoc
30/05/2008, 10:19 PM
I find that hard to believe. If it is true, the First Division will fold. That is unsustainable.

Thats bad news for Galway

KevB76
01/06/2008, 1:03 PM
Really? I'm surprised to hear that, is this fact?

Taking the foot.ie attendances thread as reliable, it is fact.

Leaving out Longford and Waterford, because its only natural their attendances would drop after being relegated.

Average 2008 attandances;
Athlone 462 (last year 670)
Limerick 541 (670)
Monagahan 190 (292)
Kildare 179 (243)

Dundalk, Shels and Wexford up on last year.

I know 670 to 541 is not 50%, but the 541 is only for the first quarter of the season. Last year our attendances didnt drop below 600 until the 4th or 5th last game. This year they've already dropped to about 300 - thats over 50% down on the same time period .....and will drop further because we're not playing well.

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=950403&postcount=804

KevB76
01/06/2008, 1:10 PM

Its not quite the disaster scenario that it might seem, as far as I know Monaghan dont rely on gate receipts to keep them running. Dont know about Athlone & Kildare.

Limerick have the financial security of thier new owner. Limerick will get the crowds back if the're doing well - we dont have the players this year to do well, becasue we've got one of the smallest (if not the smallest) wage budgets in the league. In other words, a sustainable budget that wont see us making the wrong headlines again at the end of the season. This year is all about getting things right behind the scenes.

pineapple stu
03/06/2008, 4:09 PM
I don't think fan guesstimates, inflated official attendances, well-timed FAI press releases and "There's definitely more than last year" constitute "a lot of evidence".

Certainly wouldn't say they're dwindling either though. Steady enough; possibly a small increase.

Can't remember the last Ireland game to be on a Thursday, so don't think the point is too valid. It'll be more interesting to see what happens during the Euros.

sligoman
03/06/2008, 7:49 PM
Taking the foot.ie attendances thread as reliable, it is fact.So it's not fact then as you can't heed that thread.