PDA

View Full Version : World cup squad

bwagner
30/05/2008, 11:26 AM
Lads we have only 1 more friendly left before the real stuff what are our taughts
on the squad you would pick etc.

I think my squad is very strong but as I am a Dundalk man i lost all my rights and credibililty when Staunton was hired.

Given
Kiely

Finnan
Dunne
Mc Shane ( this lad will improve)
Kelly
Delaney
O'Shea
O'Dea

Kilbane
Carlsey
S Reid
A Ried
Ireland/Lawernce
Hunt
Duff
Miller/Rowlands
Mc Geady

Keane
Long
Doyle
Murphy
Keogh

I dont think O'brien will be back , Finnan Id sat will and Ireland is too nuts to call.

Overall I think it is a squad that can make it to the finals.

Duggie
30/05/2008, 1:03 PM
looks ok, ya were good enough to fight for 1st place in this group, feck 2nd place. course it will be tough but why not. this group is good enough and hopefully trap and tardelli will get it out of them. come on ireland :ball:

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 4:07 PM
Ye, it looks like a prity good squad now, strong in all area's. I would have Lawernce ahead of S. Reid, i think Lawernce could offer us alot more than reid who is still playin off his potential of about 5 years ago.

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 4:14 PM
Ye, it looks like a prity good squad now, strong in all area's. I would have Lawernce ahead of S. Reid, i think Lawernce could offer us alot more than reid who is still playin off his potential of about 5 years ago.

I haven't seen much of Reid this season, but I very much doubt that a manager as talented as Hughes would play a player on his past reputation. Whenever people on here have watched him this season they've always had good things to say and he was linked with Man Utd not that long ago. But yes, Lawrence will hopefully get his chance.

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 4:22 PM
Why even make the comparison between Reid and Lawrence, Steven Reid is a central midfielder and Lawrence is a winger so its a nothing point

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 4:31 PM
The dude up there said he'd have Lawrence in squad ahead of a Reid. That's why Razor.

Yeah I know, I was pretty much directing that at him

boovidge
30/05/2008, 4:34 PM
My Preferred Squad assuming finnan, o'brien and ireland don't return.

Given
Kiely

Dunne
Mc Shane
Kelly
Delaney
O'Shea
St Ledger
Joey O'Brien

McPhail
Garvan
S Reid
A Reid
Lawrence
Hunt
Duff
McGeady

Keane
Doyle
Morrison/Folan
Keogh
Long

kingdomkerry
30/05/2008, 4:56 PM
I honestly dont understand why people are determined to have unproven championship players in the squad. If they are good enough they will play in the premierleague. The only championship players that will be in the squad are the ones who have caps already

FarBeag
30/05/2008, 4:59 PM
I honestly dont understand why people are determined to have unproven championship players in the squad. If they are good enough they will play in the premierleague. The only championship players that will be in the squad are the ones who have caps already

Do you mind telling us what players you are referring to?

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:06 PM

So should i wait untill the start of the new english season to make my point, when Lawrence will be a regular in the premier league.
He has played over 40 games this season scoring 14 and even more assists and was Stokes best player and in the team of the year. Steven Reid yet again struggled to make 20 games due to injury and bad form like he has done for the last 2 or 3 seasons, which is why i said he is still playing on his past reputation.

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 5:07 PM

I understand what you're trying to say but it's not as simple as that. Why should we bother having scouts then? Our manager could just get information off English managers and wouldn't have to bother doing research. You can't just rule out a whole league, especially given how weak our team is in parts. Andy Reid made his debut whilst he was a Championship player and IMO he's one of our most important players, if not the most important. Using reasoning similar to that would mean that Jonh O'Shea would be a nailed on certainty for a starting place seeing as he plays for one of the "big four".

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 5:08 PM
There are some good Championship players that should be in the squad in fairness.Im a big fan of Owen Garvan, everytime Ive seen him he looks quality but the fact that he didnt on the pitch in the last 2 games after being away with the squad for 2 weeks would lead me to believe that maybe he didnt look great in training and he isnt ready for it yet, the same might be said for the likes of Scannell and others that were under Traps eye for the past 2 weeks

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:10 PM
Lawrence is not Premier class. End of.

But is he not worth a chance while in form ahead of others who are also not Premier class?

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 5:10 PM
So should i wait untill the start of the new english season to make my point, when Lawrence will be a regular in the premier league.
He has played over 40 games this season scoring 14 and even more assists and was Stokes best player and in the team of the year. Steven Reid yet again struggled to make 20 games due to injury and bad form like he has done for the last 2 or 3 seasons, which is why i said he is still playing on his past reputation.

He was injured for the whole of last season, so it's unfair to judge him on that. From what I've heard he's done well this season, and he was linked with Man Utd before he got injured.

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 5:12 PM

He was possibly Sunderland's best player when they were in the PL in 05/06. Admittedly it was an extremely poor Sunderland side.

FarBeag
30/05/2008, 5:15 PM

Rubbish. Give him a chance and he will prove you wrong mark my words.

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:15 PM
He was injured for the whole of last season, so it's unfair to judge him on that. From what I've heard he's done well this season, and he was linked with Man Utd before he got injured.

So why have a player who is injured more than he is fit in the squad?
So what if he was linked to united, does that justify his inclusion.
Yes Steven Reid can be good player when he is fit.

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 5:17 PM
So why have a player who is injured more than he is fit in the squad?
So what if he was linked to united, does that justify his inclusion.
Yes Steven Reid can be good player when he is fit.

so logically when he is fit he should be in the squad

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:18 PM
I would not pick him over S Reid no. I am by no means a fan of Reid's I just would pick him ahead of Lawrence all day, given his experience, and involvement with Ireland for the last few years. He's unlucky with injuries yes, technically not great but, he's got too much on Lawrence for me, in term's of reliability.

But reid has only played around 20 games in 8 years

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:20 PM
so logically when he is fit he should be in the squad

If he is playing well and fit yes, but at the moment he is neither, hence i'd rather have Lawrence who is fit and in form in the squad

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 5:23 PM
If he is playing well and fit yes, but at the moment he is neither, hence i'd rather have Lawrence who is fit and in form in the squad

I still dont get why you are comparing the 2 players though, they play in different positions

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 5:25 PM

Have you seen him play? I've heard good reports about him a lot this season. Perhaps he has been poor this year, but not from what I have heard. To give you an example Andy Reid is a player who has struggled with injuries a lot but when fit I would ALWAYS include him in the starting eleven no matter how poor his form is. He simply adds another dimension to our play.

Besides, this is all a moot point anway; if Liam Lawrence plays it will be on the right and if Steven Reid plays, it will probably be in the centre. They're not vying for each other's positions.

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:26 PM
I still dont get why you are comparing the 2 players though, they play in different positions

Hang on there on minute mate, i was never comparing them, i was saying who i would rather have in the squad

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 5:27 PM

As far as I'm aware he's having an operation at the moment (but I may be mistaken). It's the end of the season and plenty of players go in for operations in the close season. I'm sure he's doing it to make sure he's fully fit next year and at his best. It's not really a relevant point at the moment IMO.

Diarmo
30/05/2008, 5:30 PM
This is a most pedantic discussion.

But here's my squad anyway, considering O'Brien, Finnan and Ireland come back. If they don't, there are alternatives.

Given
Kiely
Kenny

Delaney
O'Shea
Dunne
St. Ledger
O'Dea
J. O'Brien
A. O'Brien/McShane
Finnan/Kelly

Hunt
Duff
McGeady
Lawrence
A. Reid
S. Reid
Garvan
Ireland/Rowlands

Keane
Doyle
Keogh
Folan/Morrisson

This squad really depends on how Lawrence and Folan do in the Premiership this year. Hunt wasn't really well regarded until last season (I don't really remember anyone fighting for his inclusion when he was in the Championship) so I have a lot of hope for Morrisson and Folan.

QPR seem to be going in the right direction (i.e. investment) so it'll be interesting to see what happens Rowlands and Delaney in the next season also.

Garvan and Keogh seem to be developing well.

All in all, I think qualification is possible.

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:32 PM
Have you seen him play?
Besides, this is all a moot point anway; if Liam Lawrence plays it will be on the right and if Steven Reid plays, it will probably be in the centre. They're not vying for each other's positions.

Yes i have seen him play and he was very good.
But my original point was "I would have Lawernce ahead of S. Reid, i think Lawernce could offer us alot more than reid" while reid is injured and struggling for form

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 5:35 PM
I'd personally like to see Morrison back. I rate him higher than Doyle to be honest.

As outdated as it sounds, I'd love Elliott to stay clear of injuries and find form again. I haven't seen too much of him at club level but I really liked him whenever he played for us. Sadly I think his time has come and gone. :(

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 5:35 PM
Hang on there on minute mate, i was never comparing them, i was saying who i would rather have in the squad

surely u should be talkin bout 2 players that play in the same position, to say that Lawrence should be in instead of Reid makes no sense to me... maybe Im taking u up wrong

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:37 PM
I'd personally like to see Morrison back. I rate him higher than Doyle to be honest.

Yep defo love to see him back, dont know if id rate him higher than Doyle :confused:

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:40 PM
surely u should be talkin bout 2 players that play in the same position, to say that Lawrence should be in instead of Reid makes no sense to me... maybe Im taking u up wrong

Im getting a head ache now.
For the last time :D id rather have a fully fit and in form Liam Lawrence than a non fit not in form Steven reid which is the case at the moment.

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 5:40 PM
Awwwwwww buddy, you started that so well, then ended it so badly... Doyle is extremley limited. I mean seriously. I can't see the attraction at all. Does anyone remember the hassle Morrison gave France in Paris a few years ago? He was fantastic. He has more to offer than Doyle, in my opinion an all that crap.

Ah yeah but can we trust your opinion now though since you are high??:D

Razors left peg
30/05/2008, 5:41 PM
Im getting a head ache now.
For the last time :D id rather have a fully fit and in form Liam Lawrence than a non fit not in form Steven reid which is the case at the moment.

Im giving up too:D

Billy-Green
30/05/2008, 5:41 PM
Awwwwwww buddy, you started that so well, then ended it so badly...

:D :D :D

EastTerracer
30/05/2008, 9:06 PM
id rather have a fully fit and in form Liam Lawrence than a non fit not in form Steven reid which is the case at the moment.

I'm not sure where you're getting the "not in form" bit from. Reid had a serious back injury and only became available to Blackburn again last December. He made a few substitute appearances and then started every game from 13th January until the end of the season - played all except 5 minutes of those 17 games. He's a first-choice player for a top-7 team in the English premiership - we don't have many of them. There is no way Hughes would continue to pick him if he wasn't performing.

He had a good game against Germany in Stuttgart (in the still hopeful phase of the Stan regime) and we really haven't had him available since then. No doubt injury has severely curtailed his International career but I have never heard any suggestions that he was off-form. The sooner we get him back in the team the better!

cartman
03/06/2008, 12:34 AM
i have to say lads, i admire yer positivity.. to put those 20 odd players down on paper and then have everyone say we could easily get second, or maybe even 1st in the group - fair play to ye...
in all honesty i think we'd do well to even challenge for second with that squad - i think when people are having honest discussions about who should play centre half for us and mentioning st.ledger,mcshane,o shea.. we are in serious trouble...
also, when people are seriously discussing whose a better option - lawrence or reid - thats definitely a sign that we are up shi*t creek without a paddle

beepbeep
03/06/2008, 1:06 AM
listen i hate to be mr. negative, but im gonna say it anyway. i love watching Ireland play, and have done for years. but i honestly think that we are jus not near good enough to take 1st place in this group. the italians will walk it. we may strugggle against the likes o cyprus and montenegro. we will find it hard to beat bulgaria.
i pray we can take the playoff position but even then we will come up against stronger opposition. columbia should have hammered us the other night. we cant score goals to save our lifes. we allways seem to concede. and i cant see how trap will bring these average players to a world cup. im sorry but thats my opinion. hope im wrong tho.

SkStu
03/06/2008, 1:19 AM
listen i hate to be mr. negative, but im gonna say it anyway. i love watching Ireland play, and have done for years. but i honestly think that we are jus not near good enough to take 1st place in this group. the italians will walk it. we may strugggle against the likes o cyprus and montenegro. we will find it hard to beat bulgaria.
i pray we can take the playoff position but even then we will come up against stronger opposition. columbia should have hammered us the other night. we cant score goals to save our lifes. we allways seem to concede. and i cant see how trap will bring these average players to a world cup. im sorry but thats my opinion. hope im wrong tho.

sad but true...

beepbeep
03/06/2008, 3:33 AM
and another point i just wanna get off me head , out of all the teams that finished 3rd in their qualifying groups, we scored the least and conceded the most. apart from nrt ireland who had the same gf/ga record.
Bulgaria got 25 points in their group, only loseing once and still didnt qualify. eg Russia got 24 points and qualified, so in right, bulgaria were very unlucky not to be at euro2008.
We are up against it BIG time in our group for 2010. and it makes me laugh that people keep bringing names like laurence and mc shane and the rest of out average squad up and seriously thinkin we can win this group??? yer having a laugh.WE ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
again i do hope im proved wrong. infact i do believe we can cause one shock or two, but then again, when we talk about shocks, maybe 5-2 against cyprus could happen again!

jmurphyc
03/06/2008, 11:25 AM
and another point i just wanna get off me head , out of all the teams that finished 3rd in their qualifying groups, we scored the least and conceded the most. apart from nrt ireland who had the same gf/ga record.
Bulgaria got 25 points in their group, only loseing once and still didnt qualify. eg Russia got 24 points and qualified, so in right, bulgaria were very unlucky not to be at euro2008.
We are up against it BIG time in our group for 2010. and it makes me laugh that people keep bringing names like laurence and mc shane and the rest of out average squad up and seriously thinkin we can win this group??? yer having a laugh.WE ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
again i do hope im proved wrong. infact i do believe we can cause one shock or two, but then again, when we talk about shocks, maybe 5-2 against cyprus could happen again!

I too am not someone who thinks that we'll definitely qualify. I'm a bit more optimistic than you but it isn't going to be easy. However, two things which I want to point out are:

1. I know it's been said plenty of times, but the example of Greece is an excellent one. I don't particularly know Greece's squad that well so I can't compare it to ours, but Greece were one of the weakest sides in Euro 2004 on paper and went on to win the competition. So that can give us hope, especially now that we have a competent manager.

2. I wouldn't even bother mentioning our results under Staunton. They will not have any bearing on what happens in this campaign. Staunton was possibly the worst manager I've ever witnessed so the scale for improvement is massive.

Morbo
03/06/2008, 11:37 AM
Some people are a bit delusional alright, I've heard people who think we have a good chance of winning the group and others who said they would settle for 2nd, we have no right to expect to win the group and 2nd would be a good achievement and I wouldn't call it "settling for 2nd", I reckon we got about a 3-1 shot of qualifying, we have a 50-50 shot of getting to the playoffs and a 50-50 shot of winning the playoffs

beepbeep
03/06/2008, 8:09 PM
is it true one team who finish 2nd wont even get into the playoff??? whatever team has the worst gf/ga record???? surely that could be us.

Greenforever
03/06/2008, 8:55 PM
is it true one team who finish 2nd wont even get into the playoff??? whatever team has the worst gf/ga record???? surely that could be us.

There are 9 groups, some have 5 teams, some have 6.

The results against the 6th team is disregarded in the 6 team groups to even things out.

Based on this the 9th group runner up with the least points will not qualify for the play offs.

we have to get 2nd first to worry about this, anyway we're going to win the group :D:D

Billy-Green
16/11/2009, 10:24 AM

So over a year has past and surprise surprise Reid is still injured, Lawrence has put in great performances against Italy and France.....i knew i would be proved right :p