PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Colombia - Thursday, 29th May 2008 - Friendly - Craven Cottage

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Razors left peg
27/05/2008, 8:40 PM
Seems like we are gonna have Whelan and Miller again in midfield and McShane in defense

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0527/ireland1.html

irishbaz
27/05/2008, 9:18 PM
hello all I thought these games were to look at new talent I think the one thing everyone on this site will agree is that Miller is poor and not up to international class, Whealen yip I can understand, Delaney again but miller, mc Shane, hunt, and not being funny but I know how Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle even Damian Duff play what about Andy Keogh, Shane long, Sean Scannell, Owen Garven these guys need to be tested in the international arena. The first team almost picks itself but with such a crop of young talent we need to see what we have I have heard great things about our young players (hungry with something to prove) some of the older squad members see to have lost that fire they just turn up feel there position is nailed on and as a result treat it like a jolly up. I would love Trap to give these young lads a go as we have some talent there

irishultra
27/05/2008, 9:28 PM
I just have a problem with keeping Miller in the team.

Delighted to see McGeady in action. I really can't wait to see how him and Duff operate. Hopefully he will leave McGeady out left, and keep Duff on the right.

I really wanted to see Garvan in that team. When I watched him against the England U-21's, he looked more composed than anything England had in midfield. Now imagine him playing with players like Duff and McGeady!!!!! This is what we need. I keep seeing and saying this, but I really want the midfield three to consist of the two Reids and Garvan(if S.Ireland doesn't come back)

If Keane and Doyle can show what they showed against Wales in the last game, then we will be doing well.

Colbert Report
27/05/2008, 9:32 PM
-----------------Kiely------------------
O'Shea-----McShane-----Dunne-----Delaney
McGeady---Miller---------Whelan------Duff
------------Keane--------Doyle-----------

Not a bad team considering we don't have any of our top three central midfielders available. (Reid, Reid, and Carsley). Hopefully in time O'Shea can move into the middle to make room for Finnan. Maybe O'Shea can stay at right back and Finnan can play left back, get rid of Delaney and McShane and replace McShane with Andy O'Brien.

This is good - he's giving McShane another chance to prove himself rather than just banish him from the team altogether. I'd much rather him have his chance in this, a meaningless friendly, much better than in a real match against the likes of Berbatov or Del Piero.

irishbaz
27/05/2008, 9:33 PM
Exactly pair the young lads up with some experienced players Garven, A Reid, S Reid, Duff and Mc Geady is some midfield, creative, attacking and a nice blend of experience and youth. Even without Ireland it doesnt look half bad!

jmurphyc
27/05/2008, 9:34 PM
-----------------Kiely------------------
O'Shea-----McShane-----Dunne-----Delaney
McGeady---Miller---------Whelan------Duff
------------Keane--------Doyle-----------

Not a bad team considering we don't have any of our top three central midfielders available. (Reid, Reid, and Carsley). Hopefully in time O'Shea can move into the middle to make room for Finnan. Maybe O'Shea can stay at right back and Finnan can play left back, get rid of Delaney and McShane and replace McShane with Andy O'Brien.

This is good - he's giving McShane another chance to prove himself rather than just banish him from the team altogether. I'd much rather him have his chance in this, a meaningless friendly, much better than in a real match against the likes of Berbatov or Del Piero.

Finnan's crossing ability would be wasted on the left and he's probably our best crosser of the ball.

Colbert Report
27/05/2008, 9:38 PM
I completely agree. The problem is that bar Kilbane we don't have anyone who can play left-back. Don't say Ian Harte. Finnan is our best right back but he's also our best left back. This is why Delaney is getting the start tomorrow - Trap wants to see if he can trust him in a real competitive match, so he doesn't have to waste Finnan as a left back.

cavan_fan
27/05/2008, 9:38 PM
The difficulty in these games is that there is no point in just trying 11 new players. The ideal is to try 1/2 in each unit (Defense, Midfield, attack). Otherwise it is hard to assess the new players ability. However if you do that you need to make sure you use the places available with the most deserving players. I'd like to see Keane and Keogh or Keane and Murphy up front, even Doyle/Keogh would be good.

Midfield is difficult given injuries to both Reids & Carsley so there is no trustworthy player to put Garvan alongside.

irishbaz
27/05/2008, 9:39 PM
I would be thinking our best team at the mo would be

Given

Finnan Dunne A Brien/O Shea Delaney

S Reid

Duff Garvan A Reid Mc Geady

Keane

irishultra
27/05/2008, 9:47 PM
Exactly the formation and team I want. Except McShane still in reckoning.

irishbaz
27/05/2008, 9:53 PM
I agree with you Cavan fan but we did put Whelan and Miller as a central pair I would have been as happy with Garven and Whelan as I feel Miller brings nothing even if he is classed as an experienced player

kingdomkerry
27/05/2008, 9:58 PM
Trap said he was'nt going to change the team too much and he's right. But I would of prefered to see how John O'Shea got on with Dunne centre back.

Is Kelly injured or something?

irishfan86
27/05/2008, 10:12 PM
I think the one thing everyone on this site will agree is that Miller is poor and not up to international class

While I believe Miller is fairly average, Brady has repeatedly praised Miller during his time as a pundit.

Brady's fandom of Miller means he'll be a well used squad player in this coming campaign for better or worse (at least it's not Alan O'Brien this time!).

irishbaz
27/05/2008, 10:27 PM
My wife who knows nothing about football had a conversation about Liam Miller it went Her "in friendlies do they let anybody play?" me "what are you talking about love they put out the best team they can" Her "and he" pointing at the t.v and indeed mr miller "is in your team then!!!" me "yes love" Her "oh" me "oh what??" Her "isnt he supposed to pass to your players?" end of chat

eekers
28/05/2008, 1:13 AM
First trap has to get his senior players comfortable playing his system before he starts throwing in new players everywhere. i believe he said something about there being no such thing as friendlies at international level. and i think he tries to play his best eleven at all times. he'll have young players in the squad no doubt and if they impress in training they'll get their chance. people are really clutching at straws if they think someone like scannell can play senior international level yet. he's 17, very raw and inexperienced.

Qwerty
28/05/2008, 1:29 AM
Trap knows what he's doing. His comment about ensuring McGeady was aware exactly how the system worked before he played just speaks volumes for his approach, all the details are covered, everyone knows their role. A big change from when Stan was in charge where it was said several times that players were not told what to do.

If he wants another look at McShane or Miller that's fine. Miller has a role to play, and it will be interesting if he plays better on Thurs, in fact it will be interesting to see if there is improvement over the last performance. Miller is a talented player but he doesn't impose himslef on games which is his major flaw, but he is a good footballer. Trap sees his potential and wants to see if he can bring it out of him.

Given our lack of depth it is humorous how everyone here always wants to throw out players.

irishultra
28/05/2008, 2:05 AM
I think Miller is a good player, but he has terrible vision, but I do agree we can't just casually throw players out of the team if they don't play that well.

+1 with your first paragraph.

theworm2345
28/05/2008, 3:06 AM
I hope to see Scannell instead of McGeady (who I don't rate at all, hes **** more times than not for Ireland and, shockingly for an Ireland fan, I don't watch Celtic) and Potter or Rowlands instead of Miller.

Qwerty
28/05/2008, 3:40 AM
I hope to see Scannell instead of McGeady (who I don't rate at all, hes **** more times than not for Ireland and, shockingly for an Ireland fan, I don't watch Celtic) and Potter or Rowlands instead of Miller.

Here we go again, let's throw out the SPL player of the year, he's utter sh1te. Does it never occur to you that the problem is not with the player but with the team and the role he is asked to play? Ot that it takes time to settle in at international level. Nah he's played a handful of games and clearly isn't as good as Cryuff or Maradona so let's try Scannell now, at this rate we'll be playing U-12s in 6 months. :rolleyes:

McGeady is going to be a fantastic player, he has the potential to be much much better than Duff.

irishultra
28/05/2008, 3:52 AM
McGeady is probably our most talented player. If he is not up to it, we are ****ed.

*By the way I do think he's up for it. I count 9 players from our team who are 'up to it''

They are:
S.REID
A.REID
R.KEANE
DUNNE
GIVEN
MCGEADY
DUFF
and
Ireland
Finnan
(if they return)

I still have hopes for Doyle. His goal against Slovakia show he has quality, but I'm talking about players at this moment I would be happy calling Ireland players. Obviously not all of them are world class, or even any of them, but is Josip Simunic world class? Is Ivan Klasnic better than Robbie Keane? Hell no. But they are pivotal players for a Croatian team doing well.

This is why I don't buy the argument, Ireland have ''no world class players''.........what is a world class player? Based on performance in the last season I would say Ireland have two world class players(Dunne and Keane), a wonderkid(McGeady), an intelligent midfield ball carrier when played in the middle(Ireland), a tubby guy with terrific technique and vision(A.Reid), a consistent stalwart(Kilbane) etc. etc.

What I'm trying to say is we should have the ingredients to do well. A team doesn't need world class players, but it does need good players. We have this. N.Ireland haven't got near the standard we have. In fact, the difference in my opinion would be like comparing Ireland to England. But look what they did with less quality player. Not so much their points tally, but look at their displays against teams like Spain. Hell even Scotland don't have the same quality, but probably a bit more quantity.

What we need is players(like Croatia) who compliment each other well. So far, we have seen they don't, but can Trap change this? Maby, maby not. We will have to see.

theworm2345
28/05/2008, 4:18 AM
I forgot, never say anything bad about a Celtic player amongst Irish fans

Here we go again, let's throw out the SPL player of the year, he's utter sh1te. Does it never occur to you that the problem is not with the player but with the team and the role he is asked to play? Ot that it takes time to settle in at international level. Nah he's played a handful of games and clearly isn't as good as Cryuff or Maradona so let's try Scannell now, at this rate we'll be playing U-12s in 6 months. :rolleyes:
Like I said, I don't follow Celtic at all, but when he has played for Ireland, out of position or not, he has sucked, can you deny it? I didn't say I have disregarded him for the rest of his career, but I wouldn't have him right now.

McGeady is going to be a fantastic player, he has the potential to be much much better than Duff.
I think Duff has been **** for 2-3 years now as well. I wouldn't argue potential in this debate, a 17 year old just starting his career against a 22 year old with 17 caps who hasn't done well at international level. From what I hear he does very well in Scotland...so did Anthony Stokes. If we're going on talent right now, who would you have, Hunt or McGeady? I don't see Duff going anywhere at the moment on the other side

McGeady is probably our most talented player. If he is not up to it, we are ****ed.
Then for now we are ****ed. I do remember one match last year where he was decent, but no more than that (Denmark??)

osarusan
28/05/2008, 4:59 AM
I'm disappointed to see Ireland lowering themselves to play a university team, rather than playing other international sides.

Yours,
P. Dant.

theworm2345
28/05/2008, 5:19 AM
I'm disappointed to see Ireland lowering themselves to play a university team, rather than playing other international sides.

Yours,
P. Dant.
Will you be here all week? :) ;)
You are right about the spelling though, Columbia is the Unversity (NY) and College (Chicago), it should be Colombia

irishfan86
28/05/2008, 7:15 AM

Have a look in the Aiden McGeady thread and you'll see plenty of criticism.

I'm a fan of McGeady, and I think he's going to come good for us.

I agree that he has been poor for us so far, but I've seen enough of him to know that he's one of our most talented players.

Some players you have to take a chance with, and this guy is definitely one of those players.

If we can get him going for Ireland like he's playing for Celtic, qualification will be a whole lot easier.

ifk101
28/05/2008, 8:05 AM
So any info available on the Columbians? How strong a team are they putting out for this game?

Dr. Ogba
28/05/2008, 9:13 AM

have you actually seen Scannell play??? to describe him as raw would be an understatement. I think he's just there for the experience at this stage and nothing else....

Ash
28/05/2008, 9:24 AM
So any info available on the Columbians? How strong a team are they putting out for this game?

Unless they start with René Higuita in goals, Carlos Valderrama in midfield
and Tino Asprilla up front I dont think I'll know any of their players!

as_i_say
28/05/2008, 10:18 AM
is this game live on tv and if so what bat time what bat channel?

Duggie
28/05/2008, 10:21 AM
i want to see more of keogh, looks like it might be just the two starting changes with o'shea and aiden.

shakermaker1982
28/05/2008, 10:32 AM
I'm sure SSN had Delaney in MF this morning? WTF?

finnpark
28/05/2008, 10:36 AM
I would be thinking our best team at the mo would be

Given

Finnan Dunne A Brien/O Shea Delaney

S Reid

Duff Garvan A Reid Mc Geady

Keane

Kilbane must be better than Delaney. Played very well for a decent Wigan side at lb

drinkfeckarse
28/05/2008, 10:57 AM
I'd liked to have seen O'Dea get 90 minutes alongside Dunne. He's probably a better long term option than McShane as our other centre half IMO.

dr_peepee
28/05/2008, 11:00 AM
This could be our new first choice back four???

O'Brien and Finnan aren't confirmed yet..

Ash
28/05/2008, 11:04 AM
is this game live on tv and if so what bat time what bat channel?

RTE2 @ 7.30pm I think

seanog2001
28/05/2008, 11:09 AM
Dont understand why mcshane is still playin centre back kelly should have stayed RB with o'shea coming in CB, McShane is absolutely brutal and i am sure he has no chance of a starting place once finnan and o'brien come back

Kingdom
28/05/2008, 11:15 AM

Like I said, I don't follow Celtic at all, but when he has played for Ireland, out of position or not, he has sucked, can you deny it? I didn't say I have disregarded him for the rest of his career, but I wouldn't have him right now.

I think Duff has been **** for 2-3 years now as well. I wouldn't argue potential in this debate, a 17 year old just starting his career against a 22 year old with 17 caps who hasn't done well at international level. From what I hear he does very well in Scotland...so did Anthony Stokes. If we're going on talent right now, who would you have, Hunt or McGeady? I don't see Duff going anywhere at the moment on the other side

Then for now we are ****ed. I do remember one match last year where he was decent, but no more than that (Denmark??)

I think you're talking trash. On one hand you dismiss McGeady's performances for Celtic on the basis of his performance in an Irish Jersey, yet below you dismiss Duff for club performances yet he's been outstanding for us. Its either one or the other lad. McGeady has come in on in leaps and bounds for us. His Ireland development I'd say is similar to his Celtic development of a season and a half ago. In time if he starts to replicate the season gone Celtic performances for us, then I'll be very happy.

Emmet
28/05/2008, 11:44 AM
I'd be happier seeing O'Shea play in midfield - maybe as a sort of anchorman in front of the defence. I still see him as a liability anywhere in the backfour. Some of the players mentioned so far in this thread I have not yet seen play so hopefully they'll get a run out tonight.

geysir
28/05/2008, 11:52 AM
He should have been loaned out to Millwall way back.
Can O'Shea make a tackle without apologizing for it afterwards? Trap should send him to some clinic to increase his levels of testosterone. We could use a madder badder Josh.

drummerboy
28/05/2008, 11:53 AM
I really like of Keogh. Have seen him play for Wolves and his workrate is tremendous. Stan played him out of position on the wing and his confidence suffered. Hope he gets a run again tomorrow night.

Dr. Ogba
28/05/2008, 12:00 PM
Kilbane must be better than Delaney. Played very well for a decent Wigan side at lb

no he's not. He has absolutely no positional sense as a full back.

hope Delaney gets a fair crack of the whip as he's a far better option than Kilbane...

paul_oshea
28/05/2008, 12:08 PM
I often wonder how so many people have such informed opinions about young players playing outside of the premiership....

drummerboy
28/05/2008, 12:29 PM
I often wonder how so many people have such informed opinions about young players playing outside of the premiership....

TV has been a wonderful invention, haven't you heard

Duggie
28/05/2008, 4:27 PM
I really like of Keogh. Have seen him play for Wolves and his workrate is tremendous. Stan played him out of position on the wing and his confidence suffered. Hope he gets a run again tomorrow night.

he will defo come on - wonder why trap hasnt started him. scored in all of his games so far. pity but i trust the trap.

Kingdom
28/05/2008, 4:46 PM
he will defo come on - wonder why trap hasnt started him. scored in all of his games so far. pity but i trust the trap.

I just hope this is the mantra that the rest of the fans keep up because its exactly what I've been saying. I just get the sense that everything he does is for a reason.
Look at it this way. Andy Keogh is held in a negative sense of esteem by the majority of fans. Why? Because of his poor performance in a position he had no experience of under staunton. He has played extremely well for both of his clubs (scunthorpe & Wolves) as a supplier of goals for the primary striker. But how many of our fans would realise that and offer some patience. Few I would imagine.
We as a body of fans need to be patient in this campaign, above all else. Because if it does take a season of trying to knot players together, I'm sure trap will do it as well as anybody can.

Denis The Red
28/05/2008, 7:17 PM
I'm sure trap will do it as well as anybody can.
Agreed, too early to make any comment on his plans and he has achieved so much in his career to make a mess of it now. That said, making a silk purse out of a sow's ear comes to mind.
On the Columbia match, I would have liked to see Keogh and Long start, McPhail in the middle instead of Miller and hopfully see Scannell at some stage. But I'm sure Giovanni knows what he's doing.

irishultra
28/05/2008, 7:40 PM
Sky keep reporting that Damien Delaney will play in midfield. How is this so?

Bad reporting me thinks.

Oh and Trap says Keane can be our Totti. I really am liking the soundings of Il Trap.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0528/keanerobbie.html

shakermaker1982
28/05/2008, 7:51 PM
From FAI website.

Republic of Ireland team (v Colombia 29/May/08): Kiely; O’Shea, Dunne, McShane, Delaney; Duff, Miller, Whelan, McGeady; Doyle, Keane (captain).

Miller again?! How many chances has he had to make an impression. Let us hope McShane has been working on the offside trap calls this week.

theworm2345
28/05/2008, 7:53 PM
Look at it this way. Andy Keogh is held in a negative sense of esteem by the majority of fans. Why? Because of his poor performance in a position he had no experience of under staunton. He has played extremely well for both of his clubs (scunthorpe & Wolves) as a supplier of goals for the primary striker. But how many of our fans would realise that and offer some patience. Few I would imagine.
I did (in 2008 at least, he was never had a Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (unless you count Billy Sharp in League 1) before to make me realize his worth), but I'm a Wolves fan. I'm feeling very open minded about McGeady right now. If he excels in one game and does at least decent in the other (meaning Colombia and Norway) I see no reason why not to start him when Qualifying starts

irishultra
28/05/2008, 7:57 PM
TheWorm: I promise you McGeady will shine under Trapattoni.

theworm2345
28/05/2008, 7:59 PM
TheWorm: I promise you McGeady will shine under Trapattoni.
I assure you, I would be ecstatic to see the McGeady you Celtics fans all love, I have nothing against him other than I don't think he is good enough yet