PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Cup Opponents

Shelsman
08/08/2003, 5:03 PM
I just checked Olimpija Lubjanas form on

http://www.supportersites.com/Europe/Slovenia/Table/

and they are currently fourth. For a short while I thought our opponents were the other Ljubjana team who have lost all their matches and are bottom of the league!

Their results so far are

Olimpija 6-1 Maribor

Dravograd 1-0 Olimpija

Olimpija 2-2 Celje

I think we have a good chance as Ljubjana's not that big a City and the teams that they are playing against aren't that big either ( Celje's a very small town ).
Still though, Shels will have to play well and would really want to win away considering the b*lls they made of the home leg last year.:D

pineapple stu
08/08/2003, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
Olimpija 6-1 Maribor

:eek: :eek:

Yez'll be in trouble if they can keep that sort of form up! Maribor have only won seven leagues in a row!

Slash/ED
08/08/2003, 5:34 PM
Shels are going to have to put in a better preformance then the one seen against Cork, but I'm still fairly confident we'll make the next round after seing Rovers and Bohs fairly convincing agg win in the first round of their European competitions, would I be right in saying Odra would be about on the level of these lads?

Shelsman
11/08/2003, 1:29 PM
Any sign of the home leg being televised? I know Shels signed a contract with RTE to show all their Euro games a few years ago but I don't know if that has elapsed now.

Slash/ED
11/08/2003, 1:44 PM
I thought that was still going on but there's been no word of any kind of RTE converage so far, but they left it fairly late to annouce the Bohs coverage.

Shelsman
11/08/2003, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
they left it fairly late to annouce the Bohs coverage.

Which was a good idea whether intentional or not as it allowed for more ticked sales. No point televising a match with no crowd and no atmosphere. I wonder will all the supporters from the other clubs be rowing in behind Shels as was done for Rovers and Bohs so far.

Just checked Olipija's result from the weekend and they won 4-0 away. Hmm...... Surely someone from Shels should have been at that match?

Shelsman
11/08/2003, 2:08 PM
If Shels get through they could get glamour ties against:

Barcelona
Kaiserslautern
Liverpool
Parma
Roma
Sporting Lisbon
Valencia
Mallorca

They could also get:

Southampton
Man City
Hearts
Dundee

I'd like to see them play Hearts or Dundee, it would be a f*cking fabulous game and Shels would have a decent chance ( if they get through! ). The atmosphere would be amazing too as all the Scots would come over for the game.

Barcelona would be allright too although I'd rather not see an eL side take a pasting!

Slash/ED
11/08/2003, 6:36 PM
Hearts or Dundee would be my choice too, again if we get through, credible opponents but beatable and it would bring in alot of coverage and probably money for the club too, aswell as that the atmosphere would be amazing as you said.

pete
11/08/2003, 7:49 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Hearts or Dundee would be my choice too, again if we get through, credible opponents but beatable and it would bring in alot of coverage and probably money for the club too, aswell as that the atmosphere would be amazing as you said.

Jaysus youse haven't even played the qualifying round & youse talking about your next opponents.

:rolleyes:

Hopefully RTE don't do the telvising jinx in front of the 2000 shel$ monster support. IF Ollie could only leave the main stand open & stop RTE pointing their cameras at the other stands he probably would. :)

Slash/ED
11/08/2003, 11:05 PM
Maybe RTE are saving their money to cover Corks european journey this year!? :)