PDA

View Full Version : Pats

Pages : [1] 2

Sumac
29/05/2008, 11:36 AM
I would expect a much improved performance against Pats - Could be a backlash from both teams after the midweek results. Realistically you would expect Pats to win - However I think we might scrape a draw out of it

Claret Murph
29/05/2008, 11:50 AM
I am dam sure there will be a backlash , and I will go and say that I think we will win this one 2-1 :eek:
The only thing that upsets me is that I have to miss this game as I will be out of the country :mad::mad:

corbyeire
29/05/2008, 11:51 AM
expectations will be zero for united - therefore the players should perform better

then again we are at home and unless we are 3-0 up after ten mins the usual terryland groan will commence then gain momentum - until pats nick a 1-0 in the second half

i can hear the paint drying

it was noted over the last few home games how little meself and the lads are talking about soccer - there is nothing left to give out about on the pitch that hasnt been said a million times before

at this stage we are just sitting up there out of badness really - its such deja vu over last season again

any of you folks in the same position get on the gust bus for the next away one and at least have a good time watching united!!!

GuisaSaigon
29/05/2008, 12:52 PM
This and all remaining home games are now must-wins. I wont hold my breath though. An improvement on last Monday's insult to United fans is the minimum requirement.
We have all stumped up extra money this season in harder economic times because we bought into the idea of having a team capable of challenging in the top half of the Premier Division.
We already feel like the biggest mugs on the planet. We dont need another evening in Terryland watching 11 overpaid junior football players running around like its the early stages of the Salthill 5-a-sides.:mad:
The time has come to step it up or feck off.

gufct
30/05/2008, 9:18 AM
The fans need to be heard as well.The place was like a graveyard last week no flags or drums . The team cant play as bad again so ever the optimist Leechy to score and Vinny to be seen Hugging him at the end of the game.:eek:

eamo1
30/05/2008, 10:52 AM
As someone else said above the fans cant start moaning at the players with 20mins gone,we have to keep encouraging the lads,telling them to keep going and keep pushing on etc.We CAN get something from tonight,the players need our help(que 10 ppl coming on here to tell me im talking crap and that the players dont need or deserve our support etc etc blah blah blah).

MyTown
30/05/2008, 11:11 AM
McCulloch will be a loss IMO. Fitzgerald was my Player of the year Last Year, (even with half a season), but he may benefit from the break tonight.

Good Luck Lads

gordongekko
30/05/2008, 5:52 PM
McCulloch will be a loss IMO.
Good Luck Lads

Imo im glad he is not playing. i think he is a liability. i only wish Keane was fit to replace him.

Tir Oilean
30/05/2008, 9:27 PM
McCulloch will be a loss IMO. Fitzgerald was my Player of the year Last Year, (even with half a season), but he may benefit from the break tonight.

Good Luck Lads

Mc who?

He'll be lucky to get game next week after tonights performances. What a game! It had it all two penalty claims, four goals, great defensive work, great passing, players with attitude and fight, potential league winners(chuckle chuckle), oh ya and the compulsory tosser of a ref. Was dreading MNS last week cant wait for next weeks episode.

Seamus Conneely was superb and Regi put in his best performance so far this season. Russeller closed down every ball and never gave up, Wes didnt miss a single header all night, Vinny & Leech are the new strike force. He's improved since Kenna's arrival. Speaking of Kenna where'd he go after the game didnt see him leave the pitch.

The first goal was supposed to be a cracker (I missed it) the second I think couldve been dealt with better by Rodgers.

Anyone interested in starting a campaign to get rid of McKeown from the list of referees?

MyTown
30/05/2008, 9:50 PM
Hugely entertaining. Felt we deserved the win. Agree with TO that it was Regi's best performance in over a year. Thought Wes, Deegan and the front two were excellent. Great to see a front man on the scoresheet. The two goals were superb. The equaliser was our best "team" goal in as long as I can remember. Great pity to concede the two we did, but it's not a night to dwell on the negative. The lads worked very hard all night & fair play the crowd were behind them all the way even after the shock of a quick equaliser from Pats & the disappointment of going 2-1 down.

I had Rico on the car radio coming home. Unlike TO he praised McKeon and the assistants for getting the big calls right. In fairness the ref did not affect the result - which is the sign of a good 'un imo. Rico was his usual lyrical self, praising the crowd, the teams, the atmosphere, the quality of the football, and to top it all sez he "and the beautiful sun sinking in the west behind Terryland as the final whistle went".

Well done Jeff & the lads. Repeat prescriptions at the ready please.

gilberto_eire
30/05/2008, 9:55 PM
Mc who?

He'll be lucky to get game next week after tonights performances. What a game! It had it all two penalty claims, four goals, great defensive work, great passing, players with attitude and fight, potential league winners(chuckle chuckle), oh ya and the compulsory tosser of a ref. Was dreading MNS last week cant wait for next weeks episode.

Seamus Conneely was superb and Regi put in his best performance so far this season. Russeller closed down every ball and never gave up, Wes didnt miss a single header all night, Vinny & Leech are the new strike force. He's improved since Kenna's arrival. Speaking of Kenna where'd he go after the game didnt see him leave the pitch.

The first goal was supposed to be a cracker (I missed it) the second I think couldve been dealt with better by Rodgers.

Anyone interested in starting a campaign to get rid of McKeown from the list of referees?

I would'nt agree with the new strikers bit, the differance tonight was in the quality of ball, the played the ball better into the channels for the strikers to run onto, this was partly to do with Pat's playing a high line aswell though, i'd have stuck Glynn on for the last 15mins, defenders legs would have been tired and he's a bullet and for once he would'nt have had stupid balls planted on his head with a defender at his back.

Two points defo dropped IMO, if we get a team on the ropes like that again we have to take the 3 points, we're not going to be given many opportunites to pick up wins this season and we're cut adrift right now so have to make these games count!!

Let's see can we build on it, we've been VERY inconsistent this season but hopefully we've turned a corner now, first leg to see if that's true will be next Friday!!

Paddyfield
30/05/2008, 9:56 PM
Speaking of Kenna where'd he go after the game didnt see him leave the pitch.

He was first in to the dressing room. He ran in before the players. Domino's deliver pizza at the end of every game to the home dressing room (I kid you not) so maybe he was hungry.

Entertaining game all round. Rogers was poor in goals and his time must be up.

O'Brien was outstanding and Wes was excellent. Russel is our best player this season by a long shot.

Waterford in the Cup next weekend.

gufct
30/05/2008, 10:49 PM
Absolutely cracking game and the most important thing is we got a result imagine if we had lost that after playing so well. All 11 were fantastic with Deegan my MOM closely followed by the front two and Seamus Conneely was talking to Johnny Mac afterwards and he was full of praise for Galway.

The fans were fantastic especially the old stand but even a mention for the new stand and the Standing Ovation at the end was brilliant. Get a friend or two up with you next friday we need to build on this.Im still buzzing 3 hors after the game and it was great to see people hanging on after the game chatting about the cracker they had seen.

eamo1
30/05/2008, 10:59 PM
That second goal we got is why football is called the beautifull game,how many passes??-unreal.
Pats were poor but clinical,2 chances all night 2 goals,we deserved at least a draw.
I had a great view of that peno,it was a stone waller as they say.Then he books deegan for diving,pathetic.
Pats fans were fighting amoung themselves i think,i seen the guards there at the end,i seen gufct on the scene as always.:).
If we played like that last monday we would have battered them
I said it before many times:Rodgers OUT

Tir Oilean
30/05/2008, 11:13 PM
Sorry MyTown but we'll have to agree to disagree on the ref..at least till MNS! Eamo saw it as a stone waller and I'm pretty sure Leech was in the box when a Pats defender tried to exchange jersies before the final whistle. Never mind Rico he's away with the fairies when it comes down to the meeja work I'm sick of reading his ****e talk in the Cork Independent!

As for the Pats fans they were fairly ****ed off at the scoreline. There was a lad thrown out and later some girls were roaring abuse at Seamie so a steward and the guards intervened thats all nothing serious they had a few too many I suppose

HHHhhmmmmm Dominos Pizza!!!!! What happened to the healthy option with O'Brien's SAndwich bars!

gilberto_eire
30/05/2008, 11:26 PM
Sorry MyTown but we'll have to agree to disagree on the ref..at least till MNS! Eamo saw it as a stone waller and I'm pretty sure Leech was in the box when a Pats defender tried to exchange jersies before the final whistle. Never mind Rico he's away with the fairies when it comes down to the meeja work I'm sick of reading his ****e talk in the Cork Independent!

As for the Pats fans they were fairly ****ed off at the scoreline. There was a lad thrown out and later some girls were roaring abuse at Seamie so a steward and the guards intervened thats all nothing serious they had a few too many I suppose

HHHhhmmmmm Dominos Pizza!!!!! What happened to the healthy option with O'Brien's SAndwich bars!

Ya i saw that, the two of them were muck too if i was him i'd have let them know that!! :D

eamo1
30/05/2008, 11:42 PM
There was actually 2 fouls before Ryan took Deegan down and the ref missed those aswell,unbelievable.Ill miss MNS but it doesnt matter,i saw it clearly,so did a few hundread others.A pats player put his hands on his head when it happened too,he knew it was.

Tribesman
30/05/2008, 11:48 PM
Why could we not play like that last Monday against Cobh.

Super all round performance and some of the passing from United was top class. Deegan was everywhere and had what must be his best game for United. Thought it was a defo penalty at the time, but need to see it again.

Conneely was coolness personified, and started the move for the second goal.
He might be in for a run in the side after that display.

Deegan is suspeded next week. Fenn will probably come in for him as Lester
does not look match fit by looking at his prematch warm up.

Great game, great atmosphere, great support from the crowd that turned up, hopefully more to come.

Heres hoping that we can turn these dsiplays into 3 points, which we deserved on Friday night.

gilberto_eire
31/05/2008, 12:32 AM
Why could we not play like that last Monday against Cobh.

Super all round performance and some of the passing from United was top class. Deegan was everywhere and had what must be his best game for United. Thought it was a defo penalty at the time, but need to see it again.

Deegan is suspeded next week. Fenn will probably come in for him as Lester
does not look match fit by looking at his prematch warm up.

Great game, great atmosphere, great support from the crowd that turned up, hopefully more to come.

Heres hoping that we can turn these dsiplays into 3 points, which we deserved on Friday night.

If Lester's back in contention it should only be for a center-back spot, the fella has proved countless times he can't fill that role at Prem level anyway!!.

(Sorry John i know you read here but it's true :D)

Edit: (Hear you were asking about me.....again(last night). When your a professional you have to take the flak and prove your doubters wrong, not constantly asking people about them, and i'm not hiding btw just bad luck i have'nt been around when you ask ;) )

gufct
31/05/2008, 8:38 AM
highlights here lads and the 2nd goal was definitely not Garys fault.Lets stop the negativity and start encouraging players. Last night showed what can happen when we all stick together ie. Magnificent SUPPORT = Unbelievable PERFORMANCE. http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=FmMFSPib7oo

MyTown
31/05/2008, 8:42 AM
AFAIK Wes is off home now and will miss the Waterford & Shamrock Rovers games.

GuisaSaigon
31/05/2008, 9:23 AM
Great display from the lads, I thought Vinny Fah was man of the match. Derek, Jayo, Leech and Conneely were buzzin too. But the most pleasing thing was it was great team performance.
I was a bit gutted that we didn't win after playing Pats off the pitch for most of the game, but if we can replicate that performance week in, week out we will stay up no problem.
There was a clear change in the style of play, good passing and movement replaced the pointless long ball game we've had played for so long. We have to stick to this, no more hoofing.
Best game in Terryland in a long time, that level of energy and commitment is what we need from now until the end of the season. KEEP IT UP UNITED

GuisaSaigon
31/05/2008, 9:24 AM
Ive watched the penalty decision a few times now and i am as sure as i was after seeing it from the other side, it was a cast iron penalty. Just look at the reaction from the pats number 14.
The referees are ruining the league. It seems like every week they get all kinds of decisions completely wrong. I hope MNS highlight McKeown & co's inept performances.

Tir Oilean
31/05/2008, 1:29 PM
I agree Saigon. On the peno Id like to see it on RTE because it'll be conclusive but as said elsewhere the reaction of the Pats lads said it all. It couldve been given very easily. Some say thems the breaks but fcuk it we dont get let off the hook like that too often.

My Town has highlighted one of our major problems in the coming weeks. We need Wes in every game, he may not turn fast but he is a rock in defence and a threat going forward when needed. Best of luck to Wes on his travels.

geezer
31/05/2008, 4:14 PM
it was a fab game, that faherty goal was unreal. I was at the corner flag for that stonewall peno. Fool ref his explanation was laughable he actually booked him because he said he went 3 yards before goin down he was clearly trying to stay on his feet so now loi refs book not for diving for a peno.
rico on radio said the game reflected all thats good in the game and mingled it with fanciful thoughts on Galway Bay, the red sky setting and a wonderful occasion, mind you he gave the ref credit for a good game which was probably fair overall but the peno was a complete joke from where i was standing. Leech was brilliant too

eamo1
31/05/2008, 4:36 PM
Geezer-Where did you hear/read those comments by the ref?Just wondering because they dont normally ever comment on specific incidents.

I started a thread on the E.L section a few weeks ago about the poor standard of refs and what can be done about them,not much suggestions though.
UTD are the most frustrating team to watch and support in the world bar none.Play brutal against a fellow relegation team one day and a few days later play some brilliant stuff against a top team.That performance was a million miles better then anything T.C could have gotten from them.Jeff will turn it around i think,hes started it already.

gufct
31/05/2008, 6:24 PM
When Ian Foster asked the ref coming off at half time he said garry took 3 steps bfore going down i heard it myself. I think he missed Barry Ryans challenge as opposed to Jamie Harris charge into his back.

This is not the first time weve had stonewall penalties turned down by the same referee the worst of all time was the cup game against Cork a few years ago when Michael Devine rugby tackled Dave Goldbey. The assesor last night was a former Linesman who retired only last season and would have been working under last nights referee.

Tir Oilean
31/05/2008, 6:34 PM
The referees assessors job is just a role in the mould of "jobs for the lads" when they cant keep up with the space after a few years. They will never have any effect and are a drain on resources. Its the linesman who should be raising his flag when these things happen but they dont have the balls. Lesson learned here really if you get as much as a nick in the box go down, dont try to carry on and make it look as good as you can....sad but true.

Terry-Lander
31/05/2008, 7:06 PM
One of the best games of football in Terryland in a long long time. It's all been said about the lads and the blind, incompetent ref. The support was magnificent. People in the Corrib stand even seemed to be singing!!! One small request......can the anti dublin ( reference to wife beating) song be dropped. It is offensive and while it might antaganoise the opposing fans it does nothing to support United. Once again well done to everyone on a memorable night.:D

gufct
31/05/2008, 7:50 PM
Didnt actually hear it last night as we were too busy stopping Pats Fans fighting with each other. People know this song is banned and anyone seen starting it will be removed.We dont need stupid abusive chants just get behind our own lads .

gufcfan
01/06/2008, 12:10 AM

A few times he looked like he might get caught in possession, but like you said, coolness personified. Played his way out of trouble without panicking.

gufcfan
01/06/2008, 12:17 AM
Lesson learned here really if you get as much as a nick in the box go down, dont try to carry on and make it look as good as you can....sad but true.

I think something happened in the ireland game the last day. The commentator highlighted the fact that a Colombian did his best to stay on his feet when he could have gone down.

It's a sad state of affairs when commentators are singling out players for their honesty and imply it to be a weakness in the player.

pixiehead
01/06/2008, 1:47 AM
I dont want to take the wind outa our sails but

We are still 5 points adrift of saftey

When ever we play well we get our hopes up and the next weekend we're let down again.

Ill keep my excitement reserved till we at least leap cobh :(

Maroon 7
01/06/2008, 3:43 AM

When ever we play well we get our hopes up and the next weekend we're let down again.

Very true. Two of our best performances of the season have come against the top two and our worst came against Cobh.

Picking up the odd point won't get us out of danger.

gilberto_eire
01/06/2008, 10:29 AM

That's exactly what i said, we only took a point and they won't keep us safe!!

foxx92
01/06/2008, 3:55 PM
Attendences so far

Conor H
02/06/2008, 2:49 PM
Greetings from Toronto..

Good to see us get a big result Friday night.Vital to beat Waterford Friday.

Martinho II
02/06/2008, 9:06 PM
heard that deego had a stormer of a game for ye last fri nite.. did he actually deserve the yellow card does anyone know???

Tir Oilean
02/06/2008, 9:13 PM
Ya he played a stormer alright but I heard people sayin he and Leech were crap?!? I thought they all played very well tbh there were no passengers on that pitch.

Square Heir
03/06/2008, 6:30 PM
Deego and Leech were both class on friday.

gufct
03/06/2008, 8:15 PM
Ya he played a stormer alright but I heard people sayin he and Leech were crap?!? I thought they all played very well tbh there were no passengers on that pitch.

The two lads were excellent it just shows how biased some people are.

eamo1
03/06/2008, 10:30 PM
i wasnt at the particular event on saturday but heasrd a few utd players were fined a weeks wages for taking part in a particular event.just wanted to mention it here and not start a new thread etc coz its done and dusted now.

exiled_gufc_fan
04/06/2008, 6:07 AM
Seamus Conneely was named in Setanta Sport's team of the week for his display against Pats

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/02/eLOI-Team-of-the-Week-Round-Fourteen/?facets/sport-space/football/great-britain-locale/eircom-League-Premier-Division/

gilberto_eire
04/06/2008, 2:43 PM
Seamus Conneely was named in Setanta Sport's team of the week for his display against Pats

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/02/eLOI-Team-of-the-Week-Round-Fourteen/?facets/sport-space/football/great-britain-locale/eircom-League-Premier-Division/

Seriously not trying to be smart and he did ok for a rookie but he should'nt be in there over anyone else, if you look back over the two goals conceded he was at fault for both.
The first the winger that in behind him and put the ball in for Quigley.
And for the second Quigley beat him easily in the air, Fitzy lost it with him about it, if you rewatch the highlights you'll see this too.
I don't think he should have got in over anyone else on the basis of this, the other 9 outfield players were more deserving, I think it shows you have to take these teams with a pinch of salt after all whoever picks them can't possibly watch all the games, so you'd wonder where they get there info'?

corbyeire
05/06/2008, 10:59 AM
good performance and a serious jump up from cobh game - but at the end of the day only 1 point

the local media would have you believe it was a cup final victory

yes it was entertaining, yes they played well but we need points and fast

we dominated so much we should have won - its not the first time this season a performance deserved more

we need 3 points away to rovers - dont care how - the most dour 1-0 will do

corbyeire
05/06/2008, 11:13 AM
O'Brien was outstanding and Wes was excellent.

wes is a complete liability - his reading of the game when its at pace is rubbish

for the second goal he was ball watching and in no mans land 5 metres from the goals scorer

if its a slow ball or in the air he can be effective - but how many times is he 5 metres off the pace

every game he gives a goal away

he was at it last year and was dropped - i dont understand how he has held his place this year even with all the injuries :mad:

gufct
05/06/2008, 11:39 AM
Wes has been one of our best players over the last 4/5 games and the defence was all over the shop for the 2nd goal because our free in their half didnt beat the first man so both Wes and Fitzy had to cover for Reggi who had pushed on and Seamus Coneely had to cover the centre half position.

gilberto_eire
05/06/2008, 11:41 AM
good performance and a serious jump up from cobh game - but at the end of the day only 1 point

the local media would have you believe it was a cup final victory

yes it was entertaining, yes they played well but we need points and fast

we dominated so much we should have won - its not the first time this season a performance deserved more

we need 3 points away to rovers - dont care how - the most dour 1-0 will do

Rovers have gone TEN without a win now :eek:

That's prob' when they beat us!!

Edit: Yes they have'nt won since they beat us, at the same time just shows how poor the bottom teams are that a team who has'nt won since the 4th game are still well clear of the drop zone!!

MyTown
05/06/2008, 1:14 PM
wes is a complete liability - his reading of the game when its at pace is rubbish

for the second goal he was ball watching and in no mans land 5 metres from the goals scorer

if its a slow ball or in the air he can be effective - but how many times is he 5 metres off the pace

every game he gives a goal away

he was at it last year and was dropped - i dont understand how he has held his place this year even with all the injuries :mad:

Completely disagree with this view. I think Wes has done very well at centre half when he has played there. At times he has epitomised heart in a team many have accused of being gutless at times.

As to the criticism of his displays last year, I'm sure you'll recall he scored 3 goals in Terryland, and we won the 3 matches. How many did we win at home last season?

One other very important fact - He puts in a huge amount of work off the pitch. He has shown up at numerous Junior club functions, and community initiatives in schools. He is always personable and good with young players. He has more than paid his way as an employee of this club for me at least.

The reception he gets from the Sligo and Bray supporters shows how well he is regarded at those two clubs & based on what I have seen of him in Galway, it is a regard he has well earned.

Supporters of other clubs have been very harsh about him this season & that's fair enough. For me, with the possible exception of his days at left full, he has rarely let us down. On age grounds alone, he may be coming to the end of his spell in the Eircom league, I don't know, but for me, he owes us very little on or off the field.

GuisaSaigon
05/06/2008, 1:42 PM
Completely disagree with this view. I think Wes has done very well at centre half when he has played there. At times he has epitomised heart in a team many have accused of being gutless at times.

As to the criticism of his displays last year, I'm sure you'll recall he scored 3 goals in Terryland, and we won the 3 matches. How many did we win at home last season?

One other very important fact - He puts in a huge amount of work off the pitch. He has shown up at numerous Junior club functions, and community initiatives in schools. He is always personable and good with young players. He has more than paid his way as an employee of this club for me at least.

The reception he gets from the Sligo and Bray supporters shows how well he is regarded at those two clubs & based on what I have seen of him in Galway, it is a regard he has well earned.

Supporters of other clubs have been very harsh about him this season & that's fair enough. For me, with the possible exception of his days at left full, he has rarely let us down. On age grounds alone, he may be coming to the end of his spell in the Eircom league, I don't know, but for me, he owes us very little on or off the field.

Agree completely with this. Wes has been a leader when we have needed exactly that. Hope rumours of him leaving the club are not true.