PDA

View Full Version : UCD V Harps

cheifo
28/05/2008, 10:26 PM
Lads,
how are you fixed for injuries and suspensions for this one?
We have improved since we played you last but remains to be seen how our players react to defeat to Derry-a game we should have got something out of.
Hard one to call to be fair.Both teams seem likely to concede goals atm so I am going for a 2-2 draw.

DmanDmythDledge
29/05/2008, 4:36 PM
Brian Shortall was our only player not available on Tuesday, but he would not have started anyway.

I can't see our longballs being as effective as they were against Bray. None of Bray's defenders were all that dominant in the air and their midfield were slow to pick up the loose balls. Can't see Harps being the same, especially with Shields fit again for them.

Gethins and Parkhouse two good striker for them and they link up well with each other. Defence will have to be at the top of their game to keep them quiet.

pineapple stu
29/05/2008, 10:08 PM
Harps missing a lot of players, it seems - Labonte and Minnock, with a few more doubts. They've never won in Belfield in the Premier and this, coupled with dman's general old man whining brand of pessimism, means I predict a 17-1 win.

Sam_Heggy
29/05/2008, 10:41 PM
We are missing, Labonte, Minnock, Beckett, C.Gallagher and Ramsey. We have doubts over, Breen, Holmes and Malcom.
If ye play long ball stuff then we will be confident of a clean sheet (keeping in mind, our only clean sheet thus far being against UCD in Finn Park).
We have started playing a decent brand of football lately and as Dman says, Parky and Gethins up front have a great partnership and can cause major problems for ye. Sheilds is back to his old self again and along with Wizzy McGowan we are very solid in the middle of the park.
Hoping to get down, will know by the morning, id say about 50 Harps fans can be expected, maybe more.

Angus
30/05/2008, 9:41 AM
Ian Mahon ?

UCD v Finn Harps
Friday, 30 May 2008 09:08
UCD will look to end their long wait for a win when they take on fellow strugglers Finn Harps at the Belfield Bowl tonight, kick-off 7.45pm.

Ian Mahon's penalty rescued a point for UCD on Tuesday night against Bray Wanderers, but they have not won since they beat the Seagulls on the second night of the season.

As his side chase their first win at their new ground, Pete Mahon should have an almost full squad to choose from with Brian Shorthall the only likely absentee.

Harps arrive in Dublin on the back of a 2-0 defeat to northwest rivals Derry City, but Harps made Derry work all the way for the three points with Owen Morrison only getting the first of his two goals in the 75th minute.

Harps manager Paul Hegarty has stressed the importance of getting a result against the teams that are in around them battling to avoid relegation.

'We need to go get a performance and a result. I have said all along, if we can get 11 of our most experience men out on the park then we'll be okay.

At the minute we can't seem to be able to do that, but after the next few weeks we might have a few men back,' he said.

Aaron Labonte, Jonathan Minnock, Gary Beckett and Cornelius Gallagher are definite non-starters for Harps.

Hegarty has doubts over the fitness of Stuart Malcolm, Chris Breen and Shaun Holmes. A decision will be made regarding their availability late on Friday.

DmanDmythDledge
30/05/2008, 9:45 AM
...coupled with dman's general old man whining brand of pessimism...
What have I said that is wrong? Absolutely nothing. This will probably be another question you'll dodge as you have no answer for it other than a few :rolleyes: and throwing in the trademark line "you're completely wrong", without giving a reason.

In team news Byrne is out injured so thankfully we won't have to see him laze about the pitch. Mahon is also a doubt.

pineapple stu
30/05/2008, 12:35 PM
What have I said that is wrong?
That for a start. I never said you said anything wrong; just that you were acting like a moany old man. :)

cheifo
30/05/2008, 1:54 PM
Holmes is out for Harps tonight which is a big blow for us.Even though he is a left back he starts the majority of our attacks.You might recall he also missed the game at FP earlier in the season.

DmanDmythDledge
30/05/2008, 4:25 PM
Holmes is out for Harps tonight which is a big blow for us.Even though he is a left back he starts the majority of our attacks.You might recall he also missed the game at FP earlier in the season.
That's very good news. With him and Minnock out I presume Harps will have a dodgy LB or have to reshuffle their defence. If Harding is at RB it will be very good as he is sure to give attacking support to Fitzy and hopefully exploit their weak point.