PDA

View Full Version : georgie the redhead !

yiddo
07/08/2003, 5:16 PM
Anyone going to Tolka keep an eye on Georgie. He's put a red tint in his hair.

Dolan is slagging him asking him what he's doing with the Shebourne colour in his hair ! :D :D :D

Hitman
07/08/2003, 8:46 PM
Whatever he's done to his hair, he got man-of-the-match and a lot of praise from Eoin Hand and Gabriel Egan.

A face
07/08/2003, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by Hitman
Whatever he's done to his hair, he got man-of-the-match and a lot of praise from Eoin Hand and Gabriel Egan.

Where did you hear that like ??

Slash/ED
08/08/2003, 12:15 AM
He deserved his MOTM award, reading this fourm I can't for the life of my understand why people give him stick, he was class and combined very well with O'Flynn.

bert
08/08/2003, 2:22 AM
Agreed Georgie was outstanding, dropped back plenty of times to win the ball and launch attacks. Unfortunately none of our "friends" in the Donie Forde stand were there to see him.

James
08/08/2003, 7:05 AM
fantasic performance by the Great George O Callaghan
wonderful, unbelievable, dertermined, exciting, skillful, and plenty of heart
AWESOME

fcuk the begrudgers George

The Sheliban
08/08/2003, 7:33 AM
Have to concur with all the above. If there is one eircom League player I'd like to have in my team, its O'Callaghan. Every time he got the ball, he looked dangerous.

And he's such a pretty boy now too.

NorthoftheLee
08/08/2003, 7:54 AM
George was class again last night....as he has been for most games this season...was very dangerous every time he got the ball........

niamh
08/08/2003, 9:24 AM
And mostly impressively last night...he did a lot of tracking back, helping out in a meaningful way!!
George was good last night and yes there was a red mohawk of some kind...

Peadar
08/08/2003, 10:26 AM
George has an awful lot to learn about the basics of football!
His work rate was superb and he covered Billy on more than one occasion when Woods was caught out of position but George is guilty of squandering possession too often. He has a lot of fancy touches and looks good on the ball but for all that he created little last night.
When you're away to a team like Shels who are playing poorly by their standards and you find yourself getting possession in the final third you have to make it count.
All too often George played the wrong ball to the forwards after bursting a gut to win the ball. He played the ball over the top when John needed it to his feet, he blazed over from 25m when he should have been looking to pick someone out in the box.
When John came deep or wide to pick up the play, George should have been getting into the box to provide options. How many times did we see the ball being knocked to the far post but there was no one there because everyone had gone near post?
This is intended to be constructive criticism of George not knocking him for the sake of it. I'd have him in the team every time. He may have the Freddie Ljungberg hairstyle but he has a long way to go before he can match the Swede for quality.

Colm
08/08/2003, 11:43 AM
As usual, Georgie was fantastic last night, in fact it was one of the best games I've seen him play.
Just before half time he weaved his way through 4 or 5 Shels players (with some excellent tricks) and played the ball through to Flynn who really should have scored.
He also had a nice free kick with which he fooled everyone in the ground bar Williams!
In the second half he made a great tackle to win the ball and bring it out of defence, something that you wouldn't really expect of him!
He did so many more positive things last night and I could go on and on but I don't think I need to.
George is our star player, he is one of the best players in the league and anyone who can't see this needs urgent medical attention!

b_mcsweeney
08/08/2003, 12:09 PM
thought he was clearly motm last night, especially impressed with the bit where he robbed possession from a shels defender at the far end in the second half, and his tracking back to take the ball from an overlapping shels player in front of the city faithful again in the second half.

thought doyle and the two in central midfield did well also. wasn't overly impressed with ryan casey, though was a big improvement on previous left wing incumbents (so long robbie). bennet looked a bit shaky at times at the back and dan was class.

Cityace
08/08/2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
George has an awful lot to learn about the basics of football!
His work rate was superb and he covered Billy on more than one occasion when Woods was caught out of position but George is guilty of squandering possession too often. He has a lot of fancy touches and looks good on the ball but for all that he created little last night.
When you're away to a team like Shels who are playing poorly by their standards and you find yourself getting possession in the final third you have to make it count.
All too often George played the wrong ball to the forwards after bursting a gut to win the ball. He played the ball over the top when John needed it to his feet, he blazed over from 25m when he should have been looking to pick someone out in the box.
When John came deep or wide to pick up the play, George should have been getting into the box to provide options. How many times did we see the ball being knocked to the far post but there was no one there because everyone had gone near post?
This is intended to be constructive criticism of George not knocking him for the sake of it. I'd have him in the team every time. He may have the Freddie Ljungberg hairstyle but he has a long way to go before he can match the Swede for quality.

Sounds like a begrudger to me.

How do you mean he created very little? he set up or had something to do with 90% of our chances last night.He ran passed the shelbourne defence with ease more then once.He crossed, laid on through balls,took shots, set up,did most of work for our chances.

And he proved last night that he can tackle aswell.

Peadar
08/08/2003, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by Cityace
How do you mean he created very little? he set up or had something to do with 90% of our chances last night.

What was the quality of our chances last night?
How often did we really test the keeper?

He ran passed the shelbourne defence with ease more then once.He crossed, laid on through balls,took shots

Yes he passed but it was too often the wrong pass.
People have said that John was poor last night well a forward is only as good as the supply he gets.
Yes he took shots but at least 2 of them were from 20m + when he hadn't a hope in hell of scoring but there were men on who were in a better position to create something. He never looked for them, just blasted over. It's not like he's banging them in from that distance every week and was likely to score.
When you're chasing a win, hit and hope balls are not what you need. I have already given George his due credit in my original post. Cityace you can dismiss my opinion by calling me a begrudger all you like. It's a typical Cork attitude and it doesn't surprise me. If we don't recognise our faults we'll never get anywhere. Georges' attitude was spot on last night and other players could learn a thing or two from him but I feel that he over elaborates too much in some of his play when the simple would be more effective.

golly
08/08/2003, 2:06 PM
georgecwas awesome plain and simple i dont give a fcuk what any1 says he was involved in evryting and he always wanted the ball. i dont think ive ever seen a city centre forward winning d ball in his own left back spot. it was some performance from him and lets hope he can do this consistently cos then the cnuts who moan bout him will have nothing to say. george only lacks consistency if he finds it and he is getting there well have some player in our team. has he signed a new contract

davybarry boy
08/08/2003, 3:22 PM
well done to george last night ill be honest he had a good game but why does he go on the echo and radio telling everybody that he wants to get his contract with cork sorted. when all the time hes in town he saying hes joining shels r bohs r. why wont he jus t stop telling us he wants to stay and then after a few beers hes leaving to go some where else. he spreds all the rumours himself. to be honest i wouldnt be that sad if he left. i think we have perfectly good replacements for him.ie colin p, denis, jamie nolan, fella whos 16 from tipp. SO all i want to say is george stpo talking **** when your out around the city.

tiktok
08/08/2003, 3:48 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
The game was live on radio last night. Hand in particular spent most of the match praising George and his skill. That man clearly knows his stuff!

you can't be serious, i was listening to brief updates every fifteen minutes on newstalk106 while they covered the UCD -v- Pat's game :rolleyes:

glad georgie played so well last night, shame none of the begrudgers would have been there to see it though.

Cityace
08/08/2003, 4:08 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
What was the quality of our chances last night?
How often did we really test the keeper?

Yes he passed but it was too often the wrong pass.
People have said that John was poor last night well a forward is only as good as the supply he gets.
Yes he took shots but at least 2 of them were from 20m + when he hadn't a hope in hell of scoring but there were men on who were in a better position to create something. He never looked for them, just blasted over. It's not like he's banging them in from that distance every week and was likely to score.
When you're chasing a win, hit and hope balls are not what you need. I have already given George his due credit in my original post. Cityace you can dismiss my opinion by calling me a begrudger all you like. It's a typical Cork attitude and it doesn't surprise me. If we don't recognise our faults we'll never get anywhere. Georges' attitude was spot on last night and other players could learn a thing or two from him but I feel that he over elaborates too much in some of his play when the simple would be more effective.

I never called you a begrudger i just said you sounded like one in that post.Your right about the hit and hope shots, but city players taking shots is a big step up.(other then john).i dont know about your "recognise our faults" because i think most people know our faults, we need a powerful mid and some real understanding between the players.If you want to critisize,constructive or not,your free to, but give credit where credit is due.

thecorner
09/08/2003, 1:55 AM
met georgie in catwalk 2nite. seems to be celebrating 10/10 peformance. thanx be 2 god we arent playing sunday