PDA

View Full Version : recent form

naoise kennedy
27/05/2008, 9:54 PM
am i expecting too much.. over the past two months we have won against derry and drogheda and then lost two in a row 3 nil. it looks like our form has gone the wrong way again..
i agree a good run has to come to an end but two 3 nil defeats and a draw against ucd, am i expecting too much ??????????????????/

superfrank
27/05/2008, 9:58 PM
I'm sure I'll get given out to for this but the wins against Derry and Drogs were really lucky. Without the pneo and sending off, we wouldn't have beaten Derry. We got very lucky with Drogs. Even with the eleventh man, we still scraped by.

The wins against Cobh and Rovers were also pretty jammy so I don't think we could have expected too much from the Sligo and Cork games. We could've done better against UCD but the truth is we got a few lucky wins and the lads head's got big. We're middle table at best.

centre mid
27/05/2008, 10:02 PM
how dare you superfrank,

sounds about right, but in all those games we have had some good spells aswell. Your always going to need luck and were probably just getting a bit more of our fair share at the moment. It wont last (the luck I mean) but we are building up a nice little nest egg of points that we will be vital come the end of the season.

Superhoops
27/05/2008, 10:12 PM
I'm sure I'll get given out to for this but the wins against Derry and Drogs were really lucky. Without the pneo and sending off, we wouldn't have beaten Derry. We got very lucky with Drogs. Even with the eleventh man, we still scraped by.

The wins against Cobh and Rovers were also pretty jammy so I don't think we could have expected too much from the Sligo and Cork games. We could've done better against UCD but the truth is we got a few lucky wins and the lads head's got big. We're middle table at best.

With three to go down we were in most people's list of contenders for one of those spots, so survival was the target this season.

Four weeks ago, I said that 19 or 20 points would be a good place to be at the break and we have 18 with Rovers to come. We are still 7 ahead of Harps, 9 ahead of UCD and Cobh and 12 ahead of Galway. If we can't stay ahead of three of those four by the end of the season, then we deserve to go down.

As you say, we're mid-table at best and if we finished anywhere above the bottom four then I would say we exceeded realistic expectations.

If we can get to semis or final of the League Cup and go a couple of rounds in the FAI Cup, then that would be a bonus.

naoise kennedy
28/05/2008, 9:42 AM
With three to go down we were in most people's list of contenders for one of those spots, so survival was the target this season.

Four weeks ago, I said that 19 or 20 points would be a good place to be at the break and we have 18 with Rovers to come. We are still 7 ahead of Harps, 9 ahead of UCD and Cobh and 12 ahead of Galway. If we can't stay ahead of three of those four by the end of the season, then we deserve to go down.

As you say, we're mid-table at best and if we finished anywhere above the bottom four then I would say we exceeded realistic expectations.

If we can get to semis or final of the League Cup and go a couple of rounds in the FAI Cup, then that would be a bonus.
why should above the bottom four be good enough,, was last year not the survival year.. surely we should be looking for better,, i agree a good league cup run is possible but why are we just the best of the rest,, can we improve on this ???????/

Superhoops
28/05/2008, 3:35 PM
why should above the bottom four be good enough,, was last year not the survival year.. surely we should be looking for better,, i agree a good league cup run is possible but why are we just the best of the rest,, can we improve on this ???????/

Of course we should be looking for better, but we have to be realistic. We have not got depth in the squad to start with, neither have we the resources to compete with Bohs, Pats, Cork, Derry, Drogheda or Rovers over the course of a season.

We have no consistency and not many options. Our good run of results in May has almost been wiped out by only taking one point from last three games.

I'd love to see it but it would be a massive achievement for us to break into the top 6 this season.

That's not to say we shouldn't still be trying for it.

Seagull-4-life
28/05/2008, 5:22 PM
i agree with superfrank we got lucky on several occasions on our run

BrayUnknowns
29/05/2008, 8:50 AM
i agree with superfrank we got lucky on several occasions on our run

Don't they say you create your own luck?

And in fairness it's about time we have had a bit of luck, normally always goes against us so it's nice to get the odd break and they always even themselves out anyway - big peno decision given against us in Bohs, big peno decision not given against us to Drogheda etc..

Seagull
29/05/2008, 3:12 PM
Don't they say you create your own luck?

And in fairness it's about time we have had a bit of luck, normally always goes against us so it's nice to get the odd break and they always even themselves out anyway - big peno decision given against us in Bohs, big peno decision not given against us to Drogheda etc..
Big peno decision given against us in UCD, can we expect to get one against Rovers tomorrow so??:D

BrayUnknowns
29/05/2008, 3:29 PM
Big peno decision given against us in UCD, can we expect to get one against Rovers tomorrow so??:D

:D

But in fairness it was a peno, silly challange to make by Foran.

BUT the ref didn't give it, it was the lino, the same lino who missed the Drogheda penalty / red card decision.... he was just waiting to make up for his mistake against us !

Grey Boy
30/05/2008, 7:16 PM
am i expecting too much.. over the past two months we have won against derry and drogheda and then lost two in a row 3 nil. it looks like our form has gone the wrong way again..
i agree a good run has to come to an end but two 3 nil defeats and a draw against ucd, am i expecting too much ??????????????????/

Yes in short. You are expecting too much.

naoise kennedy
30/05/2008, 10:25 PM
great match tonight,, dugo deserves his goal playing very well lately,,great to see franco back on the pitch he was a bit unlucky with those two offsides a goal would have done him the world of good..

bray boy
01/06/2008, 12:15 AM
i thought the rovers game we really deserved the three points.
This 'luck' that everyone is talking about isnt really luck now is it?i dont think there has been more then three matches this season where referees havent played a big part in the game and its getting very very frustrating!
but back to the match itself i thought the whole team did very well,great to see franco again but even better to see his impact was very impressed.