PDA

View Full Version : League Cup draw

pineapple stu
26/05/2008, 7:20 PM
Wexford Youths at home. Can't ask for more than that. :)

Colie
26/05/2008, 7:25 PM
Still scared going on current form. Scared of every match.

HarpoJoyce
26/05/2008, 7:44 PM
I wanted Wexford Yths away 'cos we havn't played down there competitively yet and to balance out an expected home/away draws in a cup competition. Still, I'll take it. If they are in the draw we might as well play them.

Both sides will have earned their spot in the Semi's anyway because of their route so far. And I agree with Colie in that Wexford are closer to us than we may like to think (I mean on the pitch.......).

Another disadvantage is we have to pretend to be polite to their supporters for a little while longer.

pineapple stu
26/05/2008, 7:48 PM
to balance out an expected home/away draws in a cup competition.
We're due Derry away next round, so that'll balance things out.

Both sides will have earned their spot in the Semi's anyway
Quarters.

superfrank
26/05/2008, 7:51 PM
Quarters.
This will be the QF. Winner will be into the semis...or have maths changed?

pineapple stu
26/05/2008, 8:14 PM
Suppose you can read what he posted two ways. I took it that when he said "Both sides", he was referring to this round, as both sides obviously can't be in the semis.

superfrank
26/05/2008, 8:19 PM
I took it to mean: Both sides have done well to get so far and the one in the Semi will be worthy.

Meh.

HarpoJoyce
26/05/2008, 8:53 PM
Superfrank...wins again!!!!!

I cannot for the life of me understand why people misinterpret what I may be expressiing. Both you guys share the same League as Damien Richardson.

DmanDmythDledge
26/05/2008, 9:55 PM
Perfect draw, although I wouldn't have minded visiting another eL ground for the first time.

Schumi
27/05/2008, 8:08 AM
Well done Tony Mac. :)

Titan
27/05/2008, 10:42 AM
Well done Tony Mac. :)

Tony MAC is so great that the even inanimate objects such as draw balls bend to his will

colmanthesaint
27/05/2008, 10:46 AM
cracking draw all round. Home to the weakest team left, while the 4 biggest clubs left play each other.

Ideal world: beat Wexford and get Galway/Bray at home for the semi-final. Then a home final vs 1 of Drogs/Derry/Bohs/Cork.

Setanta Cup awaits..... :rolleyes:

oldyouth
27/05/2008, 6:25 PM
Another disadvantage is we have to pretend to be polite to their supporters for a little while longer.
You shouldn't pretend to be nice to us Harpo, you should really make a genuine effort. After all, we will be seeing a fair bit of eachother next year.

HarpoJoyce
28/05/2008, 7:09 AM
You shouldn't pretend to be nice to us Harpo, you should really make a genuine effort. After all, we will be seeing a fair bit of eachother next year.

Oldyouth, como siete? I look forward to the rosanero playing at the Belfield Bowl at any time, for any reason.

But don't count us out, we're not sleeping with the fishes yet.

oldyouth
28/05/2008, 12:28 PM
Oldyouth, como siete? I look forward to the rosanero playing at the Belfield Bowl at any time, for any reason.

But don't count us out, we're not sleeping with the fishes yet.
Hi Harpo. I mean't we would see more of eachother when we get promoted this year (Ha!)

HarpoJoyce
28/05/2008, 3:35 PM
Thanks for that, we need all the help we can get at the moment and you guys should feel welcome at Belfield Bowl at anytime. Hope you continue to improve in the First Division.

oldyouth
28/05/2008, 7:35 PM
As I've posted before, I'm born and reared 300yrds from UCD and went to a lot of matches before moving to Wexford (1985). It's still the homeplace and looking forward to the game but strictly on the side of the Youths

oldyouth
26/06/2008, 9:05 PM
As I've posted before, I'm born and reared 300yrds from UCD and went to a lot of matches before moving to Wexford (1985). It's still the homeplace and looking forward to the game but strictly on the side of the Youths
Following on from this, I'm now in the chair to fund admittance for the extended family to the game on Tuesday. Can anyone tell me the admission prices for the following
Adults x 4
Under 10s x 2
OAPs x 2
Schoolgoers (16) x2

Cheers

DmanDmythDledge
26/06/2008, 9:12 PM
Adults €15.

OAP/Students €8

Think kids are €5.

oldyouth
27/06/2008, 7:26 AM
Cheers Dman

pineapple stu
02/07/2008, 12:03 AM
Good report on RTÉ (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0701/ucd_wex.html). Our reserves put up a good fight against what I assume was their first team (recognising a few names). Probably deserved extra time. Billy missed a penalty (has a UCD keeper ever scored for us?) and we had a few goal-mouth scrambles. Overall, Evan looked the pick of the bunch; so long as he's around, we don't need further cover in centre half.

Cups are over. Not too worried. Would have liked to win both games, but nest of luck to Wexford. Let's concentrate on rising one league position...

Splurge
02/07/2008, 1:09 AM
Wexford Youths at home. Can't ask for more than that. :)

Well that one came back and bit you in the hole, make no mistake about it!

Mr Maroon
02/07/2008, 1:14 AM
Lads, why did your keeper take the peno tonight?

HarpoJoyce
02/07/2008, 7:50 AM

I don't know. There were not many experienced players on the team. I saw John 'Roco' Reilly ex- Longford Town placing the ball on the spot. Evan McMillan a centre-back was in fine form last night. But our goalkeeper travelled a long way up the pitch to take it, so it would've been impolite to refuse him.

pineapple stu
02/07/2008, 8:36 AM
Well that one came back and bit you in the hole, make no mistake about it!
Not really. It was still the draw to get. Imagine how screwed we'd have been with any other draw! :)

'Cos he's a regular penalty taker. Has scored a couple of times in penalty shoot outs, and I presume he wanted to score in a senior game.

Schumi
02/07/2008, 8:55 AM
Awful first hour or so, never looked like doing anything. We picked it up towards the end when Wexford started to drop back and could have sent it to extra time in the end. How did the ref not give the penalty in the first half though?

Youths4Ever
02/07/2008, 9:09 AM
Awful first hour or so, never looked like doing anything. We picked it up towards the end when Wexford started to drop back and could have sent it to extra time in the end. How did the ref not give the penalty in the first half though?

Again we dropped back too deep bad subs on our part where somewhat to blame for falling deep.

Seen those pen decisions given and not to be honest this season but then the ref missed a lot for both sides last night.

HarpoJoyce
02/07/2008, 9:25 AM
Seen those pen decisions given and not to be honest this season but then the ref missed a lot for both sides last night.

Although he let Wexford play on after Evan McMillan ankle-tapped your number seven while he was running at our defence late on. The ref. came back later to book McMillan.

oldyouth
02/07/2008, 2:13 PM
Normally, the most complaints about the ref come from the losing side, but I have to say he had a shocker last night. I thought the incident in the 1st half was a stonewall peno for UCD alright, and I think he realised it late on and was all over us like a rash for the rest of the game. We are a better team than our current league position might indicate (OK, I know that's not really possible) but you can see why we lose out on games. We matched you when we went forward and got relatively lucky when we dropped back.
Even when your keeper took the peno, we didn't put a man on the halfway line. Our keeper is a fantastic penalty stopper and there was the chance of a save and quick breakaway.
I've posted it elsewhere but not having a shop open and charging €5 for under 10s is not what I'd expect on my travels

pineapple stu
03/07/2008, 8:37 PM
Yet again this season, failure from 12 yards came back to haunt UCD as keeper Billy Brennan's missed spot kick helped Wexford Youths overcome a second string UCD in the League Cup Quarter Final in the UCD Bowl last night.

Only Timmy Purcell and Brian Shortall, the latter captain for the day, were retained from the team which lost to Cork at the weekend as Pete Mahon continued his policy of giving the next generation a chance. And having beaten St Pat's in the previous round, there were high hopes of progressing against a Wexford side bottom of the First Division.

The game started at a slow pace, and the first real talking point in the game arrived midway through the half when Timmy Purcell appeared to be bundled over in the box; referee Derek Tomney waved away strong claims for a spot kick.

Wexford showed well in the first half, but it took a defensive slip up to let the visitors take the lead. A mis-sliced shot in the box saw Billy Brennan react slowly, and Johnny Flynn O'Connor reacted quickest to slot home under Brennan.

John Reilly thought he had UCD back in the game on the stroke of half time, but his goal was ruled out for a close but correct offside call. And two minutes after the break, it was Wexford who scored a second - Brian Shortall's back header was far too casual, and Conor Sinnott nipped in to score past Brennan.

Stung into action, the remained of the game was all UCD, bar occasional counters from the visitors. Pa Doyle in the Wexford goal pulled off a good save from John Reilly before the Students were given an excellent chance of getting back into the match from the spot. Patsi Malone was controversially adjudged to have handled Darren Forsyth's volley, and Billy Brennan - who had already scored in a couple of penalty shoot outs for the U-21s and the collegiate teams in recent months - made the long trek up the length of the pitch only to balloon his kick wildly over the bar.

The pressure continued to increase, with Evan McMillan and Forsythe seeing shots cleared off the line before McMillan finally got the goal UCD deserved with a thumping header from a pin-point Greg Bolger corner - his second of the League Cup and a near replica of that previous effort against Pat's.

The pressure continued in a grandstand finish - Timmy Purcell lifted over the bar when well placed ten yards out, Seán Harding's superbly struck 30-yarder was met with an equally superb save from Doyle, but when the lively John O'Neill passed up the last chance on his debut, UCD's cup had run over and Wexford had made it into their first ever senior semi final.

Still, positives can be taken. John O'Neill impressed on his debut, Evan McMillan was composed in centre half and in taking his goal and Seán Harding looks another who has the ability to step up to the first team. Certainly, Pete Mahon's refusal to bring on first-teamers Ronan Finn and Derek Doyle as the team chased the match indicated that he was ultimately happy with his team's performance. Wexford will relish their game against either Derry, Cork or Galway, but in more sombre moments, their fans will surely reflect against a close run thing against what was effectively a side top of the A League, which may give them worries if the league season coninues on its current trend.

UCD: Brennan, Harding, Gallagher (O'Neill 58 mins), Shortall, McMillan, T Doyle, Reilly, Bolger, Forsythe, Purcell, O'Callaghan. Subs not used: Finn, D Doyle, Kelly, Gregg

Att - c 200